5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxspeed Spring Drop Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 12:22 PM

Maxspeed Spring Drop Question

I was looking at how much the maxspeed springs drop the car and was worrying about bottoming out... Will this be a problem? I live in an area with alot of dips.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:33 PM

Re: Maxspeed Spring Drop Question

Originally posted by melteye
I was looking at how much the maxspeed springs drop the car and was worrying about bottoming out... Will this be a problem? I live in an area with alot of dips.
This is being discussed in many threads currently.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:48 PM

Why not reply with "Use search you god damn *****!" More effective. j/k Me will look now.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:53 PM

I am sooo tolerant...

Why not reply with "Use search you god damn *****!" More effective. j/k Me will look now.
No prob
Old 06-06-2002, 12:56 PM

It depends if you mean bottoming out by your car hitting the ground or bottoming out meaning your stock strut hitting the bumpstop?

1. Your car will not hit the ground if you just drop using maxspeed.

2. If your stock struts are bottoming out due to the reduced travel because of the shorter springs then trim the damn bumpstops! Hey noflash I think you should ask to be included into the elite club "for the 10th time".
Old 06-06-2002, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by CIRCO

It depends if you mean bottoming out by your car hitting the ground or bottoming out meaning your stock strut hitting the bumpstop?

1. Your car will not hit the ground if you just drop using maxspeed.

2. If your stock struts are bottoming out due to the reduced travel because of the shorter springs then trim the damn bumpstops! Hey noflash I think you should ask to be included into the elite club "for the 10th time".
It's a great story - I just want to tell it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...

Whatsa bumpstop again?
Old 06-06-2002, 01:42 PM

I am purchasing aftermarket struts (kyb agx) so will I still need to adjust bumpstops.

And my worry was that when going over speedbumps or going over a dip too fast that my bumper would hit the ground.

So... I searched and read a bunch of posts about H&Rs Vrs Maxspeeds but still haven't reached a conclusion.

I want an ok drop... What I care about more is ride quality, not having the bumper hit the ground, and body roll...

H&R or Maxspeed.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:03 PM

I am purchasing aftermarket struts (kyb agx) so will I still need to adjust bumpstops.

And my worry was that when going over speedbumps or going over a dip too fast that my bumper would hit the ground.

So... I searched and read a bunch of posts about H&Rs Vrs Maxspeeds but still haven't reached a conclusion.

I want an ok drop... What I care about more is ride quality, not having the bumper hit the ground, and body roll...

H&R or Maxspeed.

I think if you don't have a body kit on your car and you don't have GC maxed out......you will never ever hit your bumper under normal driving.
As for the bumpstops its a personal preference but I say trim them! Why use only a fraction of your strut when you are paying full price? If you care about ride quality there is nothing more smooth than your stock set up. Anything else will be bumpier!
Old 06-06-2002, 03:35 PM

What I meant is which is smoother.. H&R or Maxspeed. The maxspeed seems like a big drop to me, and I heard people are dissapointed with the body roll.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:49 PM
I miss the .org!

What I meant is which is smoother.. H&R or Maxspeed. The maxspeed seems like a big drop to me, and I heard people are dissapointed with the body roll.
Sounds like it's one of those "what do you expect for $80" situations.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:40 PM

Some say H&R has a smoother ride than any other drop springs, but I would not be able to comment. My Eibachs are smooth to a certain degree. Body roll is only partially eliminated by a reduction in ride height. The RSB will almost eliminate body roll in your max.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by CIRCO

Some say H&R has a smoother ride than any other drop springs, but I would not be able to comment. My Eibachs are smooth to a certain degree. Body roll is only partially eliminated by a reduction in ride height. The RSB will almost eliminate body roll in your max.
Now see, that's what I thought. I wasn't expecting the springs to reduce body roll much, so I did the Maxspeed and Addco RSB at the same time. The ride definitely tightened up, but b-roll is not eliminated. And yes, the brackets are at the ends.

Ugh, I wish I could get my freakin Toks installed. My install guy is racing this weekend. I gotta stay with him, b/c he's giving me a good price and has the low-down on the rear bumpstop trim.

But once again time has slowed...