5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP! 2K2 Bose Issue/Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 05:21 PM
ABS

HELP! 2K2 Bose Issue/Question

The driver's side keeps cutting out over bumps. It will cut in then cut out over the next bump. When it cuts out, I think the woofer is still working but no sound from the tweeter. The dealer thought I fried the voice coil on the tweeter and just replaced it, but I'm still having the problem.

Does anyone know where the stock wiring from the tweeter connects to the main harness? Is there a plug there? I'm guessing that it is a loose connection wherever the tweeter wires tap into the feed from the amp in the trunk. I know that there is only one pair of wires from the amp going to each corner of the car. Any help would really be appreciated since this is driving me nuts!
Old 06-07-2002, 08:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: HELP! 2K2 Bose Issue/Question

Originally posted by ABS
Does anyone know where the stock wiring from the tweeter connects to the main harness? Is there a plug there? I'm guessing that it is a loose connection wherever the tweeter wires tap into the feed from the amp in the trunk. I know that there is only one pair of wires from the amp going to each corner of the car. Any help would really be appreciated since this is driving me nuts!
The tweeters acutally tap off the door speaker wires. From there the wires goes back to the Amp. I would check the Amp. Maybe something is lose in there. I am suspecting a capicator or the leads going out to the plug are not soldered correctly.

Dixit
Old 06-07-2002, 10:07 PM
ABS

Re: Re: HELP! 2K2 Bose Issue/Question

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

The tweeters acutally tap off the door speaker wires. From there the wires goes back to the Amp. I would check the Amp. Maybe something is lose in there. I am suspecting a capicator or the leads going out to the plug are not soldered correctly.

Dixit
Thanks for the thoughts. The drivers side woofer keeps playing though . . . I am leaning more towards an intermittent short in the cabling to the tweeter . . . or a loose connection where the tweeter wires split from the lines off the amp . . . I may open my door tomorrow to see if I can find anything . . .
Old 06-09-2002, 10:38 PM

Does anyone know where the stock wiring from the tweeter connects to the main harness?
It's in the main harness, and it's behind the instrument cluster. It does NOT, I repeat, does NOT ever enter the door. There is a wire that goes to the speaker in the door, but the tweeter wire isn't connected to the door at all. The spilt (like a Y cable) happens behind the instrument cluster.

Is there a plug there?
Yes

I'm guessing that it is a loose connection wherever the tweeter wires tap into the feed from the amp in the trunk. I know that there is only one pair of wires from the amp going to each corner of the car.
You are correct, there are only 1 set of wires going to each corner of the car. See above message for wiring locations for the driver's tweeter.
Any help would really be appreciated since this is driving me nuts!
Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:50 PM
ABS

Originally posted by studman

It's in the main harness, and it's behind the instrument cluster. It does NOT, I repeat, does NOT ever enter the door. There is a wire that goes to the speaker in the door, but the tweeter wire isn't connected to the door at all. The spilt (like a Y cable) happens behind the instrument cluster.

Yes

You are correct, there are only 1 set of wires going to each corner of the car. See above message for wiring locations for the driver's tweeter.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info! I did take the door apart and I can confirm you statements that the tweeter wiring branches off behind the dash at a large connector. Upon further testing and carefull inspection of the system, I have concluded that the problem I am experiencing exists in the pre-amp for the CD player in the head unit. As it turns out, both the tweeter and woofer continue to generate sound, but at a reduced level and with a lot of distortion. I previously thought the tweeter had zero output, but I was wrong. When this situation occurs, changing tracks on the CD does not resolve the problem. However, switching CD's or switching to the radio does. After switching CD's, the problem will recur. I have never seen the problem while listening to the radio. I will be going back to the dealer to try and get a new head unit.

Thanks for your help in troubleshooting this!
Old 06-10-2002, 07:05 AM

OMFG... I have that EXACT same problem. But it only happens every now and then. The left side of the CD is about 75% lower in volume, but heavily distorted. When you switch to the radio, it works fine. I contacted my Nissan dealer about it, but they said I'd have to make an appt, so I did. The day I went to take it in, it was working fine, so I cancelled. If you do get your HU replaced, please let me know, so I can tell my Nissan dealer about it as well.... maybe I feel another recall coming on soon (I was one of the first ones to have my clutch replaced).
Old 06-10-2002, 10:19 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ABS
The driver's side keeps cutting out over bumps. It will cut in then cut out over the next bump. When it cuts out, I think the woofer is still working but no sound from the tweeter. The dealer thought I fried the voice coil on the tweeter and just replaced it, but I'm still having the problem.

that happened to me already and they replaced the headunit, it would cut in and out. now it started happening AGAIN on sunday onthe way to the meet. bumps or hard braking makes it come in and out. i'm worried that once i'm out of warranty i'll still be replacing headunit
Old 06-16-2002, 08:06 PM
ABS

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

that happened to me already and they replaced the headunit, it would cut in and out. now it started happening AGAIN on sunday onthe way to the meet. bumps or hard braking makes it come in and out. i'm worried that once i'm out of warranty i'll still be replacing headunit
This really doesn't sound too good for us. I am going into the dealer on Wednesday and I hope that I will get a new HU ordered . . .
Old 06-16-2002, 08:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: HELP! 2K2 Bose Issue/Question

Originally posted by ABS

This really doesn't sound too good for us. I am going into the dealer on Wednesday and I hope that I will get a new HU ordered . . .
mine has gotten worse over teh past week i'm gonna have to take it back in. it ****es me off.
Old 06-16-2002, 08:27 PM

Is there a crossover for the tweeters? My suspician is that it is either the head unit or a crossover.
Old 06-16-2002, 08:31 PM
ABS

Originally posted by Virus
Is there a crossover for the tweeters? My suspician is that it is either the head unit or a crossover.
The tweeter has what I would barely call a x-over . . . it is a single capacitor forming a 6db/octave x-over for the tweeter alone. there is no low-pass or mid-band filter for the woofer at all. There is no impedence correction nor is there any adjustment made for dB/watt adjustment. However, I do believe that the Bose Amp in the trunk provides some EQ that probably makes the crappy Clarion textile dome tweeter and Bose woofer sound better . . .

Regardless of the x-over design issues, the problem is definitely in the head unit since I only experience a problem while playing CD's. The radio sounds perfect. To my way of thinking, this implies that either the D/A converter for the CD player or the signal pre-amp for the CD player is blown.

What do you think?
Old 06-16-2002, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by ABS

The tweeter has what I would barely call a x-over . . . it is a single capacitor forming a 6db/octave x-over for the tweeter alone. there is no low-pass or mid-band filter for the woofer at all. There is no impedence correction nor is there any adjustment made for dB/watt adjustment. However, I do believe that the Bose Amp in the trunk provides some EQ that probably makes the crappy Clarion textile dome tweeter and Bose woofer sound better . . .

Regardless of the x-over design issues, the problem is definitely in the head unit since I only experience a problem while playing CD's. The radio sounds perfect. To my way of thinking, this implies that either the D/A converter for the CD player or the signal pre-amp for the CD player is blown.

What do you think?

ya now that you mention it i remember it's only on cd's that i lose my left speakers. hmm interesting, soemtimes they go out totally and sometimes they get really quiet and some static. bumps make it go in and out.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I noticed this exact same problem over two months ago...I took my car back to the dealership, and tried to explain it to them, but of course it wouldn't do it. Thankfully they believed me the drivers side speaker was going out, and instead of trying to fix it, they ordered me a whole new radio (on 4-17-02). It took exactly two months to get the new radio in, and Im having it installed this afternoon. After reading your thread, it sounds like a whole new radio may not be the solution! Oh well, Ive waited this, I might as well have them install it. Theres nothing more frusterating than driving a brand new 2002 car, and hitting a small bump and your speakers going off!
Old 06-17-2002, 11:12 AM

Getting a new Head Unit

This is very strange... I am haveing PRECISELY the same trouble... drivers side cutting in and out over bumps or when I hit the brakes. The radio section works fine... the trouble is with the CD section. I am getting a new head unit... which the dealer has been claiming is on back order for the past 6 weeks (since late April).
Old 06-17-2002, 03:19 PM
swallac2

Originally posted by ABS

Hey do you live in Md? When I was at the dealer the other day there was someone complaining of the same thing. It was Tischer Nissan in Laurel.

Old 06-17-2002, 05:52 PM
wat

I had the exact same issue

I had a dealer in Tennessee and in Maryland try to fix the problem. Neither could. I finally resolved the problem by getting the piece of crap Bose head unit out of the car. Replaced it with a single din DVD player/screen and a 6 disk in dash changer from Pioneer. The difference in the sound is NIGHT and DAY. I can not believe I did not do it earlier. That would be my suggestion.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by ABS

i have the same problem! i just smack the head unit and it turns back on! i am so glad someone else has this problem the dealer thought that i was crazy! it doesnt do it anymore! sorry to hear it happens to u too! i think it is accually a loose wire somewhere around the head unit bc when i smack the head unit it comes back on.

will
Old 06-17-2002, 06:46 PM

Why can't any manufacturers give us the option for a real stereo. For what you SE owners pay for the Bose option, you could build a somewhat decent system. For an extra $500 or so more you/we/me could get a much better system. I can't believe that Nissan would let the woofer create so much noise and rattle that it does. Any quick fix to the rattle?
Old 06-17-2002, 07:21 PM
wat

Ha ha....I got absolutely tired of hitting the unit with my hand every 5 minutes. It was so embarrasing. I have all these other mods and the damn CD player has to be hit in order to work. It was not funny.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:29 PM
ABS

Originally posted by swallac2

Hey do you live in Md? When I was at the dealer the other day there was someone complaining of the same thing. It was Tischer Nissan in Laurel.
Sorry, actually, I live in NY. But it appears that this is a widespread issue. I bet that Clarion has low quality control on their head units!