5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

powering up/down your windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 03:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

powering up/down your windows

I know that I told everyone a couple a months back about the silicone spray to lubricate the driver's side window to stop the hideous screeching noise...

but have any of you noticed that the passenger side and rear windows go down
R E A L L Y S L O W??

it's gotten to the point that I spray them once a week!

I called and spoke to my service advisor who tells me that "the grade of rubber in the windows is so thick that it makes the spray dry up faster"

but then a friend of mine has a 2k1 frontier and he had to have the motors on both windows replaced because they failed and he was told that "all of the frontiers were coming in with the same problem"

I have begun powering down the windows every three days and spraying all four windows every sunday

are any of you having this problem with the speed of the windows going up and down??

thicknes
Old 06-10-2002, 05:14 PM
Maxima06071

The driver's side has a "fast down" window control. So, you can slide it down faster at drive-thrus, tollbooths and the ineventful traffic stop.

Old 06-10-2002, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by Maxima06071
The driver's side has a "fast down" window control. So, you can slide it down faster at drive-thrus, tollbooths and the ineventful traffic stop.
dang boo...I know that!!

but the passenger side goes down unusually slow in comparison to other vehicles with power windows

how is the speed on the passenger side on your max??
Old 06-10-2002, 06:55 PM
Maxima06071

What been having "NWDR (Nissan Window Drag Racing) competitions lately? maybe it's a.....
Uh let me go check............................................. ........................................still checking.......................................... .....................................yep slow as hell. Hmmmm I don't know what to tell ya; maybe something really expensive has broken like the window motor, more money for Nissan .
NO, I'm sure it's nothing.

Old 06-10-2002, 07:04 PM

What been having "NWDR (Nissan Window Drag Racing) competitions lately? maybe it's a.....
Uh let me go check............................................. ........................................still checking.......................................... .....................................yep slow as hell. Hmmmm I don't know what to tell ya; maybe something really expensive has broken like the window motor, more money for Nissan .
NO, I'm sure it's nothing.
oh well i'll continue to spray the heck out of the windows once a week..

thank you for looking
Old 06-10-2002, 07:17 PM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by thicknes

oh well i'll continue to spray the heck out of the windows once a week..

thank you for looking
Your Welcome

Old 06-10-2002, 07:24 PM

Your Welcome
you know whats weird ...mine completely stopped going down today ....it had been in slowmow for a couple of months but it finally gave up...i might open up the motor to see if i can do something about it ...or else i think ima have to replace the window motor entirely
Old 06-10-2002, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Cali2kMax

you know whats weird ...mine completely stopped going down today ....it had been in slowmow for a couple of months but it finally gave up...i might open up the motor to see if i can do something about it ...or else i think ima have to replace the window motor entirely
Before you go: you did check "window lock" button on the driver door panel, didn't you? One morning, it took me 5 minutes to figure that out after my son locked it up and forgot to mention )).

Mike.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Max_5gen

Before you go: you did check "window lock" button on the driver door panel, didn't you? One morning, it took me 5 minutes to figure that out after my son locked it up and forgot to mention )).

Mike.
yah i checked that already
Old 06-10-2002, 11:09 PM

in the year ive had the car, ive noticed the windows getting progressively slower. i remember when i first got the car, my friends were impressed with how fast the windows rolled down. now they complain about how slow they are. the back is worse than the front. but the driver side is still fast, so i guess its just the other 3 that are slowing down.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:26 PM

Re: powering up/down your windows

but have any of you noticed that the passenger side and rear windows go down
R E A L L Y S L O W??
The front passenger window on my 2001 SE comes down just fine, but takes longer than the front driver side window to go back up. I just figured it's normal since it comes down fine, but it is annoying to have two front windows that go up at different speeds. The rear windows are okay.

I also have that funky screeching sound with the driver side front window and sometimes the front passenger side. I was going to try looking for some kind of rubber conditioner to see if that helps, but so far I've been a bit lazy about going out to look for that stuff.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:05 AM

Re: Re: powering up/down your windows

Originally posted by KennyLau

I also have that funky screeching sound with the driver side front window and sometimes the front passenger side. I was going to try looking for some kind of rubber conditioner to see if that helps, but so far I've been a bit lazy about going out to look for that stuff.

Use the silicone spray!

Thickness: Yes all the windows are extremely slow for power windows! I already had a race with my friends T-bird and he blew the hell out of me. The toyota camary my dads ride is way slower so don't be all that dissapointed.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:13 AM
Former Sponsor

my advice to all of you guys is to use the windows like crazy and make them fail then get the dealer to replace everything under warranty before the warranty runs out
Old 06-11-2002, 05:20 AM

Originally posted by carnal_c30
my advice to all of you guys is to use the windows like crazy and make them fail then get the dealer to replace everything under warranty before the warranty runs out

but being nissan they would try to blame it on a mod...like the tint or my ventvisors

or even tell me that i close the doors the wrong way

or blame it on the weather!!
Old 06-11-2002, 05:37 AM
Former Sponsor

but being nissan they would try to blame it on a mod...like the tint or my ventvisors

cant argue with that Nissan dealers are pretty inventive with that stuff or your aftermarket stereo system overloaded the battery causing the power window motors to fail... I think thats it right there
Old 06-11-2002, 05:42 AM

You got that right....lol
Old 06-11-2002, 07:45 AM

Slow power windows? Hmm...I gotta check it out. I don't think I ever felt my power windows were slow...maybe just cuz I never really compared it with another car...
Old 06-11-2002, 08:36 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Where?

Where are you spraying the lube? The window slider track or somewhere else?
Old 06-11-2002, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by panman
Slow power windows? Hmm...I gotta check it out. I don't think I ever felt my power windows were slow...maybe just cuz I never really compared it with another car...
In fact I've had people comment on how FAST my power windows are compared to their cars. They've mentioned things like "I hope I don't have my hand sticking outside when you hit that button..."

Is it cause my car is new...and I should expect some major slowing down over the next year???
Old 06-11-2002, 10:56 AM

Mine have slowed down also... I think it's on the 2000 Maxima where the change in speed is noticeable. The dealership told me to use the dry silicone spray, which he said they would do that anyway to get them to move faster. I didn't buy the extended warranty thru Nissan, because Geico offers it on new cars for a lot cheaper, but I want them to mess up already so I can fix them.I am already at 65,000 miles and want to do it before the extended warranty runs out!
Old 06-11-2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by DrVolkl

In fact I've had people comment on how FAST my power windows are compared to their cars. They've mentioned things like "I hope I don't have my hand sticking outside when you hit that button..."

Is it cause my car is new...and I should expect some major slowing down over the next year???

I've already tried the hand in the window thing on the drivers side and it does the auto down feature if you do get something stuck in there.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:58 AM

Re: Where?

Originally posted by Colonel
Where are you spraying the lube? The window slider track or somewhere else?
i spray in the front and back tracks of the window corners when the window is down
Old 06-11-2002, 12:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Where?

i spray in the front and back tracks of the window corners when the window is down
Where do you get this dry silicone spray? My dumba$s has been using regular wet silicone spray. I usually soak all my windows and all the rubber and let it sit and roll the windows up and down a dozen times or so. Tha only down side is I get a bad haze on all 4 windows.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Where?

Originally posted by ChillWill2000

Where do you get this dry silicone spray? My dumba$s has been using regular wet silicone spray. I usually soak all my windows and all the rubber and let it sit and roll the windows up and down a dozen times or so. Tha only down side is I get a bad haze on all 4 windows.
ask cwally cause i've been using the wet silicone spray also!!
Old 06-11-2002, 01:39 PM

It's easy to test in the 2K2..both front windows are auto up.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by NYC2SD
It's easy to test in the 2K2..both front windows are auto up.
just rub it in...i'm jealous!!!
Old 06-11-2002, 03:11 PM

I just tested my windows. I have a year-old 2001 and interestingly, the driver-side window is slower than the passenger-side...and it's usually just the driver-side window that sees much action.