5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Berk intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 10:48 AM

Berk intake

I dont know if anyone else has had this problem....but i ordered the berk intake that bryan (cobymoby) had on sale about 3 days ago and have not received any sort of notification that he received my order or any kind of tracking numbers or anything? What should i do now? I know bryan is a trusted seller, maybe he is just very busy...thanks for the help...
Old 06-14-2002, 11:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Berk intake

Originally posted by MDCBarks10
I dont know if anyone else has had this problem....but i ordered the berk intake that bryan (cobymoby) had on sale about 3 days ago and have not received any sort of notification that he received my order or any kind of tracking numbers or anything? What should i do now? I know bryan is a trusted seller, maybe he is just very busy...thanks for the help...
Bryan lives in Southern California, MDCBarks10. You live in Florida. Patience, my friend . . . patience.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:06 AM

cobymoby is a pretty reputable guy.....I'm pretty sure he won't f*ck you over.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:14 AM

it will be there, my friend.....trust me.

Old 06-14-2002, 11:41 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

I got mine in like 3 days. It will come.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:00 PM

In my case it did take Bryan a day to respond to my emails, but that's due to time zone difference.

FedX did send me a shipment confirmation, tracking #, and estimated arrival time per the shipper's request and the package arrived as stated.

Can't remember now, but I believe it took mine roughly 8 business days from the point of payment to the point of receipt. The wait was worth it.

Now......I'm waiting on my Maxspeed...has anyone gotten theirs yet from the 05/28/02 group deal??
Old 06-14-2002, 03:16 PM

Yeah, I ordered on Monday, haven't gotten any confirmation on Friday. Not worried though, I'll give him till Monday then e-mail, see whats up.

Neal
Old 06-14-2002, 03:19 PM

i still believe he is a good seller, but he still hasnt replied to any of my e-mails, even the ones that i sent before i actually bought the intake, i wonder what is going on...
Old 06-14-2002, 05:23 PM

I ordered mine on Tuesday and received conformation that it should arrive either Friday or Saturday, cant wait
Old 06-14-2002, 05:27 PM

Re: Re: Berk intake

ok all...just make sure to read all the discussion on MAF before installing...

Originally posted by xfirepwr1
I ordered mine on Tuesday and received conformation that it should arrive either Friday or Saturday, cant wait

I have all the pictures taken and see i u guys want a installation guide.....if so, I will do one.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Berk intake

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
ok all...just make sure to read all the discussion on MAF before installing...

I have all the pictures taken and see i u guys want a installation guide.....if so, I will do one.
Yea that would be great
What is the chance of this intake blowing the MAF sensor?
Old 06-14-2002, 05:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Berk intake

9 cases of blown MAF out of all the 5th gen on board.....from the last poll by y2kse...but I doubt we have everybody with blown MAF in that poll.

just my 2cent....dun bother to take off the MAF during install...just unscrew those 4 bolts connect ur airbox to the MAF (the 4th bolt is a biaach....u better have a thin finger to do that one). so u wont have to disconnect the MAF sensor or MAF....

have fun, and if I have a chance, I will work on the DIY guide tonight.

Originally posted by xfirepwr1

Yea that would be great
What is the chance of this intake blowing the MAF sensor?
Old 06-14-2002, 05:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Berk intake

9 cases of blown MAF out of all the 5th gen on board.....from the last poll by y2kse...but I doubt we have everybody with blown MAF in that poll.

just my 2cent....dun bother to take off the MAF during install...just unscrew those 4 bolts connect ur airbox to the MAF (the 4th bolt is a biaach....u better have a thin finger to do that one). so u wont have to disconnect the MAF sensor or MAF....

have fun, and if I have a chance, I will work on the DIY guide tonight.

Hopefully everything goes well, thanx for the tip
Old 06-14-2002, 06:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Berk intake

I don't really think that's necessary, [maxi-overdose]. I took off my MAF to remove my stock airbox and install a SI, took it off again when I removed the SI to reinstall my stock airbox, and took it off yet again when I removed the stock airbox to install the Berk Tuning intake. That's three times I've removed it and I haven't had a MAF sensor failure yet.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:26 PM

Three Things:

1) Wouldn't it still be safer not to remove the sensor? Or no big deal?

2) I'm under full warranty (800 miles), so if I do screw it up I can just put the stock air box back on and take it to the dealer yeah?

3) When will your DIY instructions be up, Maxi, I'd like to see them?

BTW, I got my Berk today, but going to wait to install till these questions get answered. Gnight!
Old 06-15-2002, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Neal728
Three Things:

1) Wouldn't it still be safer not to remove the sensor? Or no big deal?
y2kse says no big deal but I am too chicken to move it and too affraid that I am going to put it back the wrong way.

2) I'm under full warranty (800 miles), so if I do screw it up I can just put the stock air box back on and take it to the dealer yeah?
yes....just go back and pretend that u dunno what's wrong with ur car. make sure u have stock air filter

3) When will your DIY instructions be up, Maxi, I'd like to see them?

BTW, I got my Berk today, but going to wait to install till these questions get answered. Gnight!
sure.....prob. tomorrow afternoon or evening

have fun, hope u will love the whistle sound.
Old 06-15-2002, 02:33 PM

I got bored, and just installed it. My first mod (yay!). What a difference, you can totally feel it @ high revs. I love the sound too. I took off the air intake from under the hood gap (does that make sense). Should I leave it on, it seems to rattle a bit.... Also, what does everyone think about just ordering a spare filter for when I change it out? What interval should a new one be put in, and can I just buy a few now and keep them around, do they have a long shelf life???? Thanks for all answers!!!!
Old 06-15-2002, 06:27 PM

the air intake under the hood is called air scoop, it is just a router of outside cold air to ur engine bay...I would definitly keep it on b/c
1.routes cold air into ur engine bay
2.it has two sensors attach to it

I got bored, and just installed it. My first mod (yay!). What a difference, you can totally feel it @ high revs. I love the sound too. I took off the air intake from under the hood gap (does that make sense). Should I leave it on, it seems to rattle a bit.... Also, what does everyone think about just ordering a spare filter for when I change it out? What interval should a new one be put in, and can I just buy a few now and keep them around, do they have a long shelf life???? Thanks for all answers!!!!
those filter are re-usable....so just buy a clean and oil kit from any pepboys, kragen and clean it every 20,000 miles. ppl being saying that it works better when it gets dirtier...
Old 06-15-2002, 07:37 PM

Maybe we're talking about a different part

-------------------------------------

Mine just came off with two plastic POS screws, and was just plastic, no sensors or anything. If there were, wouldn't they be attached to something? I didn't see any wires in there anywhere....
Old 06-15-2002, 08:24 PM

I don't think it's necessary. Just looking @ a few member pages, looks like everyone has removed it. And also, I still don't know what you're talking about with these sensors, like I said, there were NO wires attached to this plastic air vent.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:04 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

dont' worry i'm sure it's fine. i know what it's like with all the orders and stuff. patience.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:26 PM

Maybe we're talking about a different part

-------------------------------------

Mine just came off with two plastic POS screws, and was just plastic, no sensors or anything. If there were, wouldn't they be attached to something? I didn't see any wires in there anywhere....
It's the same part that sits above the radiator hose. it's just that the 2k2 doesn't have the air temp sensor in it like the 2k-2k1. so this 1.routes cold air into ur engine bay may still apply

cheers
Old 06-15-2002, 10:28 PM

I orderd the Berk intake and should be getting it very soon.

should i install it and the be worried about MAF problems?

if the MAF gets blown, and i can't put the stock airbox before i go to the dealer...am i screwd?

when the MAF gets blown...what happens to the car, like what are its reactions?
Old 06-16-2002, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by 2001SE
I orderd the Berk intake and should be getting it very soon.

should i install it and the be worried about MAF problems?
If the combined experience of those who voted in our polls is any indication, you have about a 1 in 4 chance of a MAF sensor failure with an aftermarket intake.

if the MAF gets blown, and i can't put the stock airbox before i go to the dealer...am i screwd?
Yes.

Keep your stock airbox, mounting hardware and tools in your trunk in case you have to reinstall your stock airbox before you take your car to a dealership. And make sure your stock airbox has a genuine Nissan air filter in it.

PS: If you installed a CAI that required cutting a 3.5" hole in your fender, you're probably screwed under any circumstances. Still, you may want to remove your CAI and reinstall your stock airbox in the off chance that your technician turns out to be blind.

when the MAF gets blown...what happens to the car, like what are its reactions?
Your engine goes into limp mode and won't rev above 2400 rpm.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:46 PM

I don't think it's necessary. Just looking @ a few member pages, looks like everyone has removed it. And also, I still don't know what you're talking about with these sensors, like I said, there were NO wires attached to this plastic air vent.
I have a 2K SE and I took the air scoop off. It looks way cleaner in the engine bay without it. I have had no problems since I took it off. I zip tied the sensors to the vacuum tubes next to the scoop so that they didn't rattle. Now, I just have to get the 01AE engine cover to make my engine look sweet!
Old 06-18-2002, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Texasguy

I have a 2K SE and I took the air scoop off. It looks way cleaner in the engine bay without it. I have had no problems since I took it off. I zip tied the sensors to the vacuum tubes next to the scoop so that they didn't rattle. Now, I just have to get the 01AE engine cover to make my engine look sweet!
Throw your air scoop in the trunk of your car along with your stock airbox, mounting hardware, and tools. You may need to reinstall them if your MAF sensor decides to go south on you.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:51 PM

do u observe losing low-end toruqe during a very hot day?

Originally posted by Texasguy

Old 06-18-2002, 01:55 PM

We should get a group deal on MAF sensors going instead Seriosuly though, I understand about the keeping the stock stuff together, but I just keep it all @ home, and then limp home and reinstall before taking it to the dealer. I don't think it's THAT big a deal, just runs real nice and slow. BTW, in limp mode, does it shift gears, and just no gear goes above 3000 rpm? Or does it stay in 1st and do that?
Old 06-18-2002, 02:20 PM

We should get a group deal on MAF sensors going instead Seriosuly though, I understand about the keeping the stock stuff together, but I just keep it all @ home, and then limp home and reinstall before taking it to the dealer. I don't think it's THAT big a deal, just runs real nice and slow. BTW, in limp mode, does it shift gears, and just no gear goes above 3000 rpm? Or does it stay in 1st and do that?
Yup. I can just see you limping all the way home from, say, Las Vegas or San Francisco.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by y2kse
[B]PS: If you installed a CAI that required cutting a 3.5" hole in your fender, you're probably screwed under any circumstances. Still, you may want to remove your CAI and reinstall your stock airbox in the off chance that your technician turns out to be blind.
A 3.5 inch hole in the fender can't possibly cause an MAF failure. No matter how badly the service manager wants to blame an aftermarket intake...if it is not there, it is not there...period.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:40 PM

Re: Re: Berk intake

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

dont' worry i'm sure it's fine. i know what it's like with all the orders and stuff. patience.

First they agreed on something, now this. They are both obviously gheys.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:43 PM

Yup. I can just see you limping all the way home from, say, Las Vegas or San Francisco.

I think if I was on a longer trip, I'd actually bring it all with me, but day to day, when I'm within 10 miles of home, it can stay in the garage. BTW, if I was in Vegas, and put back in the stock setup, it still would be in limp mode right? It would only help if I wanted to bring it to a local dealer there (which I would). Also could someone answer about the gears? Does it stay in 1st or can I shift still?
Old 06-18-2002, 02:46 PM

It would only help if I wanted to bring it to a local dealer there (which I would).
Roger that! I've got a M/T, so I can't answer your question about the gears.