5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Going to Track on Friday a Few ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 10:21 PM

Going to Track on Friday a Few ????

I am going to run the 1/4 mile on Friday of this weekand have a few questions. I need to run 14's or I am going to be ****ed! I have a stillen Y, full hayame catback, franken/JWT hybrid for performance mods.

1. Should I put the stock rims on the rear? If so what PSI should I have them at?

2. Should I remove spare, and sub?

3. What RPM's do you think is the optimal launch rpm? For example, least amount of wheel spin and minimal lag for low rpms.

4. At what RPM do you m/t guys shift from 1st, 2nd? I have hit the rev limiter in 1st at like just a tad past 6500rpms and think right before the limiter should be the shift point.

Any help is appreciated. This will be the 1st time I am taking the max to the tracks, but I have taken my civic, GSXR, and CBR back in HS.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:27 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Just run as is. When a TL-S pulls up next to you on the street, are you going to stop, and take your spare and subs out ? You should want to know what your car performes like as is ...
Old 06-16-2002, 10:29 PM

Re: Going to Track on Friday a Few ????

1. Should I put the stock rims on the rear? If so what PSI should I have them at?

No

Yes, the less weight the better. Take the spare,jack,and sub out and leave them home. Also, try to go to the track with about 1/4 tank. The less weight the better your chances of running 14's

3. What RPM's do you think is the optimal launch rpm? For example, least amount of wheel spin and minimal lag for low rpms.

I found that launching at 3250 and slipping the clutch very slightly netted me my best 60' times. Lower your front tire pressure to around 27 and the rears to about 40 also.

4. At what RPM do you m/t guys shift from 1st, 2nd? I have hit the rev limiter in 1st at like just a tad past 6500rpms and think right before the limiter should be the shift point.

Shift at redline(~6600 rpms) in every gear. Thats where your peak hp is.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:34 PM

Re: Re: Going to Track on Friday a Few ????

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

No

Yes, the less weight the better. Take the spare,jack,and sub out and leave them home. Also, try to go to the track with about 1/4 tank. The less weight the better your chances of running 14's

I found that launching at 3250 and slipping the clutch very slightly netted me my best 60' times. Lower your front tire pressure to around 27 and the rears to about 40 also.

Shift at redline(~6600 rpms) in every gear. Thats where your peak hp is.

The rev limiter kicks in at like a little past 6500rpms man! Redline is 7000rpm! At least thats what I have experienced in 1st and 2nd gear.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Going to Track on Friday a Few ????

Originally posted by CIRCO

The rev limiter kicks in at like a little past 6500rpms man! Redline is 7000rpm! At least thats what I have experienced in 1st and 2nd gear.
Redline is 6600 rpms...it will fuel cut anything after. 7000 rpms cannot be achieved with an upshift, unless the tach is off or they come out with a chip.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
Just run as is. When a TL-S pulls up next to you on the street, are you going to stop, and take your spare and subs out ? You should want to know what your car performes like as is ...

I take down Cl-S's daily! This is for my best time possible, not to prove I can smoke a car that I already beat on numerous occations. BTW, my good friend has a CL-S, but its a 2001 not the 2003. Funny that you said this though LOL, you have the 3.5L I only have the 3.0L every little ounce counts man. BTW, you interested in the 2 rims?
Old 06-16-2002, 10:52 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Yeah, email me. I like those and the Neeper Haaz. I would chrome yours though..... Im just concerned with shipping charges to the mainland....
Old 06-16-2002, 11:00 PM

Yeah, email me. I like those and the Neeper Haaz. I would chrome yours though..... Im just concerned with shipping charges to the mainland....

Neepers are big dollas dollas! Plus they weigh a ton! But they would turn some heads
Old 06-16-2002, 11:02 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Neepers are big dollas dollas! Plus they weigh a ton! But they would turn some heads
Im figuring with my upcoming mods, I can handle the extra weight. I actually have an offer for DUBS for 1600 w/ Tires that would look insane, but I still need to race. The Neeper 18's arent much heeavier than my stock BRICKS !
Old 06-16-2002, 11:03 PM

Im figuring with my upcoming mods, I can handle the extra weight. I actually have an offer for DUBS for 1600 w/ Tires that would look insane, but I still need to race. The Neeper 18's arent much heeavier than my stock BRICKS !
With tires they will be a lot heavier than your stocks! But who cares you have a 3.5L nothing can slow that down.
Old 06-16-2002, 11:05 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

With tires they will be a lot heavier than your stocks! But who cares you have a 3.5L nothing can slow that down.
Yeah, my Auto Tranny !.... .... Thats ok, its what I wanted...
Old 06-17-2002, 02:22 AM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Going to Track on Friday a Few ????

Redline is 6600 rpms...it will fuel cut anything after. 7000 rpms cannot be achieved with an upshift, unless the tach is off or they come out with a chip.
i was able to take an auto max (no not mine) up to 7500rpm before the fuel cut off! i was goin pretty dam close to 100mph in second, but im not sayin go that high.

Old 06-17-2002, 07:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Going to Track on Friday a Few ????

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

i was able to take an auto max (no not mine) up to 7500rpm before the fuel cut off! i was goin pretty dam close to 100mph in second, but im not sayin go that high.
Tire pressure that worked for me at the track was 25 or a little less in the front and 40s in the back. Dropped couple tenths just by changing pressure.

Chung-Hsien
Old 06-17-2002, 08:03 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Going to Track on Friday a Few ????

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

Your tach is off. The computer will fuel cut after 6600 rpms.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Going to Track on Friday a Few ????

i have to agree w/ that...no way can u go 7.5k.

anyways, play w/ ur tire pressure. i would run anywhere between 23-26 psi for the fronts, pump the back to the max amount allowed for ur tire. take spare, jack, sub out. go all the way to red or 6500 if ur uncomfortable about ur shifts since u have a 2k. if u want the best possible time, i would put ur stock rims up front but not worry about the back. since u got dark tints like me, u could take out ur back seat and nobody would know. my best launch so far has been if i rev up to 3k and then slip the clutch a little. need to know play w/ that but i've heard others going a bit higher and getting a better 60' time. depends on how much u want to punish ur clutch though.

Your tach is off. The computer will fuel cut after 6600 rpms.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Going to Track on Friday a Few ????

Originally posted by craaaazzy
i have to agree w/ that...no way can u go 7.5k.

anyways, play w/ ur tire pressure. i would run anywhere between 23-26 psi for the fronts, pump the back to the max amount allowed for ur tire. take spare, jack, sub out. go all the way to red or 6500 if ur uncomfortable about ur shifts since u have a 2k. if u want the best possible time, i would put ur stock rims up front but not worry about the back. since u got dark tints like me, u could take out ur back seat and nobody would know. my best launch so far has been if i rev up to 3k and then slip the clutch a little. need to know play w/ that but i've heard others going a bit higher and getting a better 60' time. depends on how much u want to punish ur clutch though.

Stock rims up front would reduce my traction for the launch. However, changing rear tires to stock would reduce drag that the high performance tires create, plus weight reduction for going to 15" steelies. BTW, I can punish my clutch as much as I want I have a replacement clutch and will be replacing it with a flywheel by next month.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Going to Track on Friday a Few ????

my bad. how wide are the tires for the 15" rims? i would use those for the front if they're comperable tire widths. and if u don't care about those tires that much, u could probably drop pressure to 20 or so. as for the replacement clutch, i would go ahead and start launching from 3000, then move up 250 rpms each other runs and see how ur 60' times decreases/increases. slipping it more would give u the best launch also. keep us informed on ur findings...i also need to improve my launch. good luck and have fun!

Stock rims up front would reduce my traction for the launch. However, changing rear tires to stock would reduce drag that the high performance tires create, plus weight reduction for going to 15" steelies. BTW, I can punish my clutch as much as I want I have a replacement clutch and will be replacing it with a flywheel by next month.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Going to Track on Friday a Few ????

my bad. how wide are the tires for the 15" rims? i would use those for the front if they're comperable tire widths. and if u don't care about those tires that much, u could probably drop pressure to 20 or so. as for the replacement clutch, i would go ahead and start launching from 3000, then move up 250 rpms each other runs and see how ur 60' times decreases/increases. slipping it more would give u the best launch also. keep us informed on ur findings...i also need to improve my launch. good luck and have fun!

The steelies 15" are stock 2K GXE rims they have like 205/60or65/15's on them I think so switching up front wouldn't do me any good. Launching from 3K is what I have been doing while slipping clutch so thanks for the suggestion of moving up 250 rpms every run after I will try to see at which rpm I have least amount of wheel spin. With my mods do you think its possible to be in the 14's man?
Old 06-17-2002, 03:26 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Old 06-21-2002, 12:26 PM

So whats the verdict guys?

I am going tonight! Here are the conclusions I have come up with using your input let me know what you' all think:

1. Don't change out tires.
2. Do change pressure 27front 40 rear
3. Take out sub, spare, jack, and possibly rear seat
4. Launch in first a 3500rpms slipping clutch
5. Shift points all at 6500 or a little past right before limiter

I have a few more questions:

1. At 3500rpms the tires still spin a little, so does that mean I should lower rpms to reduce burn out/ loss time.

2. Should I keep my gas at a minimum? I have the gas light on now? I don't want to run out of gas on the 1/4?

3. What time should I expect?

4. How heavy are stockers? GXE 15" steelies with hubcaps
Old 06-21-2002, 12:56 PM

i would lower pressure up front. gives u better grip. try 27 first like u want, if u still lack traction, reduce to 25, then 23 if necessary. slip clutch a little more to reduce spin...

good luck!

I am going tonight! Here are the conclusions I have come up with using your input let me know what you' all think:

1. At 3500rpms the tires still spin a little, so does that mean I should lower rpms to reduce burn out/ loss time.

2. Should I keep my gas at a minimum? I have the gas light on now? I don't want to run out of gas on the 1/4?

Old 06-21-2002, 01:13 PM

i would lower pressure up front. gives u better grip. try 27 first like u want, if u still lack traction, reduce to 25, then 23 if necessary. slip clutch a little more to reduce spin...

good luck!

Thanks but aren't the Moda's hella heavy?
Old 06-21-2002, 04:28 PM

HELP GUYS help!

still have a few questions to answer could you guy help me out before I go to the track!
Old 06-21-2002, 06:34 PM

1. Yup 3500rpms might be a little too heavy. I'd launch around 3200 rpm, 3/4 sink on pedal til about 4000 then WOT. should minimize your wheel spin(practice, practice). Depending on your shifting speed, I'd shift around 6300, remember this is your every day baby.

2. 1/4 to 1/2 tank is good

3. Time? Alot of it is the launch, shifting speed/accuracy and how hard you are willing to work your clutch.

4. Don't know how heavy the steelie 15" are but I'd suspect lighter than 50 (stock SE 17"). I don't think the back seat is a quick and easy removal.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:35 AM

Re: Going to Track on Friday a Few ????

I am going to run the 1/4 mile on Friday of this weekand have a few questions. I need to run 14's or I am going to be ****ed! I have a stillen Y, full hayame catback, franken/JWT hybrid for performance mods.

Any help is appreciated. This will be the 1st time I am taking the max to the tracks, but I have taken my civic, GSXR, and CBR back in HS.
for the best possible time: like people have suggested, put your stock fronts back on. i've lowered my fronts to 15.5psi. works for me. remove everything in your car you don't need. empty out the glove and console (this is the perfect time to clean your car). remove front and rear seats. it only takes about 10 mins. run with about 1/4 tank or less. remove the jack and spare when you get to the track. i like to hold my rpms at around 1,500rpms and watch the tree. with the lowend torque we get, high rpm launches will result in spinning tires unless you feather the clutch which i do not like to do. i take the low rpm launch method because it is very easy. when the third yellow lights, "mix" the clutch and throttle rapidly, but don't "drop" the clutch. you should not bog if done properly. chirping the tires slightly i routinely get 2.1-2.2 60's that way plus i concentrate on the light. between 1st and 2nd i shift at redline. from 2nd to 3rd i shift at 6,200rpm, but since you have a 2k try to go for the redline since you have more top end. i don't shift into 4th because the 1/4mi ends at the top of my 3rd gear.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:42 AM

good luck!

your steelies weigh apx 42lbs with the tire. that's probably lighter than your aftermarket rims/tires. i'd go with stock fronts. i have concluded that any attempt to keep tire pressures above 16psi have resulted in higher 60' times. at first i was very cautious until i found out all the light and heavy honda and mustang/camaro drivers alike all lowered their psi to 15. i'd stay with 15.5-16.5psi. it will vary at the track depending on air temperature, so keep it low especially when it's warm outside!
Old 06-22-2002, 11:50 AM

Re: HELP GUYS help!

still have a few questions to answer could you guy help me out before I go to the track!
So how did you do?! What all helped you the most?!
Old 06-22-2002, 01:47 PM

Re: Re: HELP GUYS help!

Originally posted by dino1063

So how did you do?! What all helped you the most?!

Uh look at my 1/4 mile post. What helped me the most. Hmmm I never took my spare, sub, or jack out. I pumped up my tires in the rear to 40 and ran it with the modas on. Because the track was wet it was impossible to lauch with out spinning first entirely. So I guess you could say it was just a learning experience.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: HELP GUYS help!

Because the track was wet it was impossible to lauch with out spinning first entirely.
The track was wet?? And you guys still ran?? WOW!! At Etown, one drop of rain shuts the track down for about an hour; then some dude in a maintenance truck drives ten feet down the track, gets out, stutter steps (in his sneakers) across the track for about two minutes, gets back in the truck, drives another ten feet and does it again AND this goes on until he covers the entire 1/4 mile AND deceleration lanes.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:34 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Re: Re: HELP GUYS help!

Originally posted by F23A4

The track was wet?? And you guys still ran?? WOW!! At Etown, one drop of rain shuts the track down for about an hour; then some dude in a maintenance truck drives ten feet down the track, gets out, stutter steps (in his sneakers) across the track for about two minutes, gets back in the truck, drives another ten feet and does it again AND this goes on until he covers the entire 1/4 mile AND deceleration lanes.
thats why it was stated earlier on in this therad that hawaii's track is a joke.(no offense) but damn uve been to the track one too many times it looks like. but yeah thats what they usually do, dont want to risk any1 loosing traction of a 1000+hp car at high speed.