5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

PR CAI Installed...disturbing noise when put into 'D'

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 07:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

PR CAI Installed...disturbing noise when put into 'D'

I installed a PR CAI about a week ago. One or two days later I noticed an ugly sound coming from the front of the car (actually it sounds like its coming straight from the intake)as soon as I put it in Drive. I put it in 'D', barely touch the accelerator, and it makes this aweful sound, almost like a really loud, drawn-out burp. Its only at this time that the noise occurs, so it goes away as soon as I reach 2 or 3 mph. I dont have much experience troubleshooting cars, and Im still trying to learn, so any simple explanation would be great....yes, Ive tried a 'search' for this info, but came up short. Thanx for your help.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:20 AM
JET Speed Lab

Re: PR CAI Installed...disturbing noise when put into 'D'

Originally posted by Kram420
I installed a PR CAI about a week ago. One or two days later I noticed an ugly sound coming from the front of the car (actually it sounds like its coming straight from the intake)as soon as I put it in Drive. I put it in 'D', barely touch the accelerator, and it makes this aweful sound, almost like a really loud, drawn-out burp. Its only at this time that the noise occurs, so it goes away as soon as I reach 2 or 3 mph. I dont have much experience troubleshooting cars, and Im still trying to learn, so any simple explanation would be great....yes, Ive tried a 'search' for this info, but came up short. Thanx for your help.
that clunking noise is the pipe hitting the fenderwall. the PR CAI should have come with a rubber surrounding for the pipe so if it does hit, the rubber piece will make it so there is no noise. double check that on your car, maybe you didnt drill it correctly also? (a little off?)
Old 06-17-2002, 07:10 PM

Re: Re: PR CAI Installed...disturbing noise when put into 'D'

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
that clunking noise is the pipe hitting the fenderwall. the PR CAI should have come with a rubber surrounding for the pipe so if it does hit, the rubber piece will make it so there is no noise. double check that on your car, maybe you didnt drill it correctly also? (a little off?)
Thats what happened to mine. A few strips of weather stripping stopped the noise.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:52 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Re: Re: Re: PR CAI Installed...disturbing noise when put into 'D'

Originally posted by theMax

Thats what happened to mine. A few strips of weather stripping stopped the noise.

Mine was a clunking noise getting on and off the gas and brake. I inlarged the hole and taken off the rubber surround but painted area so wouldn't rust. No problems now.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I really don't think this is the problem. The rubber strip is in place properly, and the intake itself is very stable...it doesn't move at all when I try to shake it around. This noise is killing me! Im alomst ready to take the damn intake off just to rid myself of this annoying sound. Any other suggestions? Remember, Im new at this...
Old 06-19-2002, 09:31 AM
JET Speed Lab

I really don't think this is the problem. The rubber strip is in place properly, and the intake itself is very stable...it doesn't move at all when I try to shake it around. This noise is killing me! Im alomst ready to take the damn intake off just to rid myself of this annoying sound. Any other suggestions? Remember, Im new at this...
it wont move if you try to force it. just open the hood, step on the brake and put your car into R, then D, and so on. when you pop into gear with an auto, the engine moves, and thats when the clunking noise happens.

get another person to pop your car into R, or D etc and you'll see what i mean.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:16 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
it wont move if you try to force it. just open the hood, step on the brake and put your car into R, then D, and so on. when you pop into gear with an auto, the engine moves, and thats when the clunking noise happens.

get another person to pop your car into R, or D etc and you'll see what i mean.

that's right I tried to shake mine and didn't think is was that. But once I enlarged the hole and and taken off the rubber surround no more noise.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had this same problem. Even with the freagin rubber strip it made a grinding noise on the initial gas.

It was all because the template is COMPLETELY freagin wrong. I hade to bring the hole a bit closer to the front of the car. I basically made the hole a bout 1" larger in diameter.

Cleared the problem right up

Dixit
Old 06-19-2002, 07:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

This will take care of the problem. But you'll have to cut a portion off the mid-pipe. Works great though, and there are absolutely no more clunking sounds.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:00 PM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by sleepermax

This will take care of the problem. But you'll have to cut a portion off the mid-pipe. Works great though, and there are absolutely no more clunking sounds.
i think cutting the hole a little bigger would be smarter.. than cutting the intake itself. just my opinion.