5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lojack Worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2000, 09:52 AM
sdherman

Hi folks. I just bought a '00 SE Max yesterday (fully loaded). I have an appointment to have Lojack installed on Friday, but now I am wondering if it is worthwhile. The dealer gave us a "deal" of $50 off, bringing the price to $545.

Does anyone have any Lojack success stories? Do you folks think the system is a waste of money?

Thanks for the input.

Steve H.
sdherman@dscp.dla.mil

Old 09-05-2000, 10:22 AM

Well I personaly think it's a waste of $$, b/c if

some one wants my car they can take it, that's why I pay for insurance. I was offered the same thing, when I bought my 2K but I really don't care if they retrieve my car or not, b/c who benefits from this IMO its the insurance companies and not me, it prevents them from having to buy me a new car, so I am paying for tthe insurance companies benefit, I don't think so. But once again this is just my opinion.
Old 09-05-2000, 11:04 AM

something to think about

it's up to u.. the insuranse might not buy you a new car if the car that is recovered is repairable within' reasonable cost. then you might have some parts missing and some things won't b the same even tho they said they've "fixed it". i'de rather have a brand new car.. you'll get various opinions here.. i say it's worth it cuz it'll give u a peiace of mind that you'll know where your car is if it does get stolen. it's more worth it if you only get liability insurance but i say get full coverage if possible. if you have full coverage then no point.
Old 09-05-2000, 11:36 AM

Good points...

...from all of you guys. But, I would rather get the F*#$ who stole the car along with the chop-shop or whatever else they might have stolen. I know thiefs are a dime a dozen but at least the one that steals your Max (or mine) will go down. I had my RX7 stolen some years ago and, I'm still mad.

My friend stopped at BurgerKing on sunday, he parked his '91 Accord, turned the Viper alarm on, went inside got some FrenchFrs (there was no line, no wait), came out (about 5min later) and his car was gone. Queens, NY

p.s.
On my Max I'm getting Mul-T-Lock installed next Saturday.
My Max is 5 years old but, I want to keep it. Granted, if they really want it, nothing will stop them.
Old 09-05-2000, 11:43 AM

yeah

that's the only reason i would wanna get the low jack thing.. i would find out who stole my car, follow them home, break into their car, take their shifter and steering wheel with a post-it sayin' "hey i know how to steal cars too" scare the crap outa them.
Old 09-06-2000, 02:17 AM

Interesting Posts But .....

Well I myself got lo-jack on my 2k max. Seein the previous posts bout gettin new cars from the insurance im not quite sure, the insurance will give u new car once u get it jacked. As for its effictiveness i think it works pretty well. I had a friends lexus es300 get jacked while playin bball , fortunately they recovered his car however i didnt know wat type of shape he got it back in. While his friends corolla got jacked and dont know where it went without lo-jack. As for my 2 cents i think if u r willin to pay a fully equipped 2k SE max u can spare the 400 or 500 dollars .
Old 09-06-2000, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by sdherman
Hi folks. I just bought a '00 SE Max yesterday (fully loaded). I have an appointment to have Lojack installed on Friday, but now I am wondering if it is worthwhile. The dealer gave us a "deal" of $50 off, bringing the price to $545.

Does anyone have any Lojack success stories? Do you folks think the system is a waste of money?

Thanks for the input.

Steve H.
sdherman@dscp.dla.mil

Lojack isn't invincible. I know for a fact that thieves who steal cars equipped with LoJack drive it to lead lined warehouses where the LoJack signal gets blocked (i.e. it cannot be tracked by the popo anymore). I'd say get the AutoLock (the pedal lock you see on TV) and a decent $250 alarm with shock sensor. If a professional thief wants your car, they are going to steal it no matter what you do to protect it. Don't stress over this too much.