5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima won't rev past 2250???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 10:12 PM
Shaun Ladd

CHEAP MAF sensor

ok guys, here it is. I wanted to wait until I got mine in the mail before everyone else flooded them with requests. I got my MAF sensor for $62.50 plus shipping... thats right $62.50. They don't keep these in stock so they had to order it for me, but I am sure if you all call about the same time they will start keeping them in inventory. It took me 10 days to receive mine after I paid with Visa. But well worth saving the $$$. My 2 local dealerships wanted $560 and $513 for the same part. SCREW THEM!!!!! I don't like the idea of making someone else rich off my troubles. Here it is:

Courtesy Nissan
972-644-3972 -- parts department
http://www.courtesynissan.com

Your welcome...

Old 07-12-2002, 10:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Maximam

YEP! MAF time!!! Welcome to the bad MAF club!
i was gonna say something like "your in the bad mother @ss ****er club, ahhhhhh " but then i would be flamed for immaturity, which is really my sleepy ness.
so i read through your sig and 1971 Z. not to mention race car.
hehehehe my friend and i are restoring one, but were running into rust problems by the battery, bad ones, like dead project ones.

ill email you later so im not wayyyy off topic.
later guys
MrGone
Old 07-13-2002, 01:22 AM

Re: CHEAP MAF sensor

Originally posted by Shaun Ladd
ok guys, here it is. ....
Courtesy Nissan
972-644-3972 -- parts department
http://www.courtesynissan.com

Your welcome...
ahh..the good'ol courtesy . Thx Shaun, this is definatly good news for 5th geners.

Charlie
Old 07-13-2002, 05:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Please confirm that this is the part number you received: Q52258
I was just quoted $436.74 for that part - from Wic @ Courtesy.
Old 07-13-2002, 01:10 PM
Shaun Ladd

No the part number I have is

Part Number: 22680-AD210
Description: Meter assy.

I delt with Bruce and Randy. I also got an online quote for $82.36 but I don't know where they got that from. Before I ordered mine I confirmed this part number with another dealership and it is legit, plus I got mine in the mail yesterday and my Maxima lives again... I reset the computer and the CEL light was gone and within 10 minutes of driving the computer had adapted to the new MAF sensor. I am a happy person again. I was told this is a revised part so hopefully I will never have to deal with it again. Try them again with the part number above.

Shaun Ladd

Old 07-13-2002, 02:01 PM

Meter assembly??

What did this part look like? If I remember correctly the MAF unit was a short tube with a screen and a sensor behind it. Could this just be the sensor part??
Old 07-15-2002, 01:30 PM
Shaun Ladd

What I got was just the meter assembly. Not the short pipe with screen. Maybe that is why it is so cheap, but either way who cares. The tube did not have any problems, it was the metering device itself. The sensor is held in place by 2 torqx screws. No problem to replace, about 5 minutes. Good Luck..

Old 07-15-2002, 01:37 PM

What I got was just the meter assembly. Not the short pipe with screen. Maybe that is why it is so cheap, but either way who cares. The tube did not have any problems, it was the metering device itself. The sensor is held in place by 2 torqx screws. No problem to replace, about 5 minutes. Good Luck..

Has your service engine light come back on? I wonder if the solution is just a reset, because if you kept the original sensor and the problem hasn't returned since your install, then the sensor itself may never actually be the problem. Of course, that is if I'm understanding correctly.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:16 PM

Do you guys think my intake caused the MAF to fail? Is $400 the part from the dealer? Also, I read the TSB and I am a little confused. When replacing the MAF, is there more involved than just switching them out? I saw everyhting about programming some data in but is that necessary? If so, I should probably let the dealer do it right?

Thanks,
Shaun Ladd

I guarantee the MAF sensor failure occurred because of the intake. Happened to me, and apparanty a load of members on this board. Makes me kinda wonder why anyone would change the damn stock intake. I mean, is it worth the extra like 11hp to have the headache and hardship of having to bring the car to the stealership and be w/o a vehical or have to drive a crippled vehical to the dealer location? That is, if its even drivable! Its just not worth the risk. Nissan has made this car almost impossible to mod successfully due to the heavy computer influence of the engine. I say to hell with it, i'll just keep the thing stock and realize i did not buy a car that can be tuned and be a daily driver at the same time.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:16 PM
Shaun Ladd

I tried resetting my computer several times before I bought the part and the CEL always came back within 5 minutes after I cranked the car. SO it was fried, of course unless someone wants to buy it off me for like $25 to try it out... But anyways, Nissan claims this is a revised part meaning they changed something. Also, I have heard of a couple people saying their MAF sensor failed with a stock Nissan filter/intake setup. My local dealership has sold 6 of these this year already and I haven't seen one modded 2k or 2k1 Maxima around Roswell, GA. SO, that leads me to point back to the reason for the revised part...just face it, Nissan screwed up with this part. Just pay the $62.50 +S/H for the new one I pointed out and smile.

Old 07-15-2002, 08:21 PM
Shaun Ladd

oh yeah, I have been wanting to say THANK YOU to everyone that helped to quickly diagnose this problem. That was a quick diagnosis. Didn't have to pay the dealership $78 to tell me the same thing, and didn't have to waste 4 hours waiting on them to tell me. Thanks guys (and girls if any are there). Hope I can be of some help in the future.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:40 PM
john2002max

Re: Maxima won't rev past 2250???

Hi guys,
I am new here. This is my first problem I have had with with this Maxima and if anyone has any info, I would greatly appreciate it. My car died today while accelerating on the on ramp of the freeway. It was difficult to crank after that. It would just start then die right away. My O/D light was just flashing for a minute or so then stopped. When it finally started, it wouldn't rev past 2250. It idles fine and when you floor it it just wants to die. But as long as you are easy on the throttle it revs fine until 2250 then sputters. The SIL is on and I had an intake on but I switched back to the factory one hoping to cure the problem, but no luck. Please advise me... Oh yeah, it is a 2000 Maxima GXE auto with 44k on it.
You Blew your MAF, Probably due to your aftermarket intake! Stay with your stock air box and buy a drop in K&N! This seems to be happening alot with these high air flow intakes. Hope your still under warrenty, MAF Sensors can be expensive! Good Luck

Old 08-14-2002, 05:42 PM

Re: Re: Maxima won't rev past 2250???

Originally posted by john2002max

You Blew your MAF, Probably due to your aftermarket intake! Stay with your stock air box and buy a drop in K&N! This seems to be happening alot with these high air flow intakes. Hope your still under warrenty, MAF Sensors can be expensive! Good Luck
Alright man - your like a month late on this one... check the dates? Lets put some of these to rest already.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:17 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Maxima won't rev past 2250???

Originally posted by john2002max

reason is that nissan made a two different style of MAF's for 2k2's and one of those style was defective and fails very easy, if you have one and that happens to you just put your stock box on and go to the dealer and get a new style one and you'll be all set.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Maxima won't rev past 2250???

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2

reason is that nissan made a two different style of MAF's for 2k2's and one of those style was defective and fails very easy, if you have one and that happens to you just put your stock box on and go to the dealer and get a new style one and you'll be all set.
I have a Max with a Mfg date of November '01 - I'll take a pic of it, and lets have someone else with an earlier Mgf date take a pic of theirs, and we can compare... I installed my PR CAI with just over 1k miles and no problems as of yet, with 6k on the car now.