5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

VIDEO: 2k2 6speed vs 2k2 VW 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 07:20 AM

VIDEO: 2k2 6speed vs 2k2 VW 1.8T

Well my brother has been chatting with a local vw group (www.vdubaddiction.com) and set up a race with a 2002 VW GTi 1.8T with Intake, Exhaust, Chip, and Shortshifter. Apparently these 2002 cars with chip and boltons are low 14 / possibly high 13's second cars.

Heres a race from a stoplight:
Stoplight

One from about a 45mph punch:
45mph Punch

To give you an idea of how fast these cars are, the camera was rolling in a 2k2 Nissan SpecV
Old 07-07-2002, 07:22 AM

nice vid

Makes me want to get in max and race.....
Old 07-07-2002, 08:02 AM

Re: VIDEO: 2k2 6speed vs 2k2 VW 1.8T

Gotta love it! These 1.8T guys are always yakkin about how you drop a $5 chip into the car and you are suddenly seeing several hundred horsepower at the wheels and are chasing down Corvette's.

Here's one that's chipped, with intake and exhaust, and it still goes down like a $2 hooker.

Originally posted by SmokinOdum
Well my brother has been chatting with a local vw group (www.vdubaddiction.com) and set up a race with a 2002 VW GTi 1.8T with Intake, Exhaust, Chip, and Shortshifter. Apparently these 2002 cars with chip and boltons are low 14 / possibly high 13's second cars.

Heres a race from a stoplight:
Stoplight

One from about a 45mph punch:
45mph Punch

To give you an idea of how fast these cars are, the camera was rolling in a 2k2 Nissan SpecV
Old 07-07-2002, 08:15 AM

Re: Re: VIDEO: 2k2 6speed vs 2k2 VW 1.8T

Originally posted by Eric
Gotta love it! These 1.8T guys are always yakkin about how you drop a $5 chip into the car and you are suddenly seeing several hundred horsepower at the wheels and are chasing down Corvette's.

Here's one that's chipped, with intake and exhaust, and it still goes down like a $2 hooker.

Ummm you do realize that it was a 1.8T vs. 3.5L Max. A $2 hooker? I think not, not even by two car lengths. I've got a S4 w/ chip and everything on the road is basically my *****, with the exception of the occational 03 cobra. For less money buying the car and modding it the 1.8T can block out at well over 400hp w/out drastic block modifications. Keep in mind you all are celebrating a "kill" on a 1.8T, when a GTP w/$5 pully can drop you all like a $2 hooker. I've got many videos of that if you'd like to see them. Not doggin the max cause I love my max but I'm just sayin....
Old 07-07-2002, 08:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: VIDEO: 2k2 6speed vs 2k2 VW 1.8T

Originally posted by BlackSE

when a GTP w/$5 pully can drop you all like a $2 hooker. I've got many videos of that if you'd like to see them.
Yes and so do I. In fact it has the pully, CAI, and 3" Exhaust, and I still beat him time after time.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ummm you do realize that it was a 1.8T vs. 3.5L Max. A $2 hooker? I think not, not even by two car lengths. I've got a S4 w/ chip and everything on the road is basically my *****, with the exception of the occational 03 cobra. For less money buying the car and modding it the 1.8T can block out at well over 400hp w/out drastic block modifications. Keep in mind you all are celebrating a "kill" on a 1.8T, when a GTP w/$5 pully can drop you all like a $2 hooker. I've got many videos of that if you'd like to see them. Not doggin the max cause I love my max but I'm just sayin....
Are the 03 Cobras out yet????????Didn't think so.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: VIDEO: 2k2 6speed vs 2k2 VW 1.8T

Originally posted by Jaws

yes they are.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good job!
Old 07-07-2002, 08:37 AM
nc00max

The '03 Cobras are out, there's even some dude over on the Viper forums claiming to have run a 12.3 with his, although even most of the other Cobra owners kinda think it's BS.

http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/003891.html

Old 07-07-2002, 08:44 AM

Umm, well first of all lighten up a bit. $2 hooker was just a colourful expression. I thought it was funny. And I don't speak for the whole community here, so its not "you all are celebrating", its just me. Other members will contribute their own opinions if they feel it is necessary.

I've been to VW vortex a number of times and based what I've read there, I think this notion of getting 400 hp out of a 1.8T Golf without major changes is pretty much a pipe dream.

After changing the turbo, ECU, fuel pump, injectors, transmission and God knows what else, I don't think you are too far off from the price of a new 2K2. In Canada, 2k2 1.8T start at $26K base, while a 2k2 SE base is $33K. I seriously doubt you are getting a 1.8T to 400 for less than $7K CDN.

Even getting an S4 to 400HP is not a trivial matter. If I recall, the chip gets you to 300 HP easily but the next 100hp comes pretty hard, requiring new turbos, injectors, etc...

People can do all sort of hypothetical things to cars to make them faster that a 2k2 Max. The guy down the road could strap a discarded AIM-9X motor to his 1989 Ford Ranger for less price than a 2k2 Max and he could probably kick my *** too.

Fortunately for me, all the SSEi and GTP's I've gone against didn't have $5 pully, and they all went down like $2 hookers.

I'm glad than now that you chipped your S4 you no longer have to worry about 2k2 Maxes keeping up with you.

Old 07-07-2002, 08:48 AM

Yes and so do I. In fact it has the pully, CAI, and 3" Exhaust, and I still beat him time after time.
You're gonna sit there and tell me that you with clear corner mods are gonna beat a modded GTP?
Old 07-07-2002, 08:58 AM

Umm, well first of all lighten up a bit. $2 hooker was just a colourful expression. I thought it was funny. And I don't speak for the whole community here, so its not "you all are celebrating", its just me. Other members will contribute their own opinions if they feel it is necessary.

I've been to VW vortex a number of times and based what I've read there, I think this notion of getting 400 hp out of a 1.8T Golf without major changes is pretty much a pipe dream.

After changing the turbo, ECU, fuel pump, injectors, transmission and God knows what else, I don't think you are too far off from the price of a new 2K2. In Canada, 2k2 1.8T start at $26K base, while a 2k2 SE base is $33K. I seriously doubt you are getting a 1.8T to 400 for less than $7K CDN.

Even getting an S4 to 400HP is not a trivial matter. If I recall, the chip gets you to 300 HP easily but the next 100hp comes pretty hard, requiring new turbos, injectors, etc...

People can do all sort of hypothetical things to cars to make them faster that a 2k2 Max. The guy down the road could strap a discarded AIM-9X motor to his 1989 Ford Ranger for less price than a 2k2 Max and he could probably kick my *** too.

Fortunately for me, all the SSEi and GTP's I've gone against didn't have $5 pully, and they all went down like $2 hookers.

I'm glad than now that you chipped your S4 you no longer have to worry about 2k2 Maxes keeping up with you.

Didn't have to worry bout them keeping up with me non chipped. I have heavily modded my S4 however stock it is still one badass machine, an E36 M3 killer if you will. Yeah it would take alot more that $7k to get it to 400hp but I'm just saying that it could be done for the price of a max, this being said. I'd rather have a max just because it's a "step up" however the max would get it's *** handed to it, that being said so would my S4's. However I guess if max owners put $7k into their cars they would "haul the mail" so to speak. Keep in mind the only reason I sounded stern in my post was because being a VW/Audi driver I felt I needed to offer defense to the 1.8T engine. This engine is an incredible work of art and has hella potential. As a mater of fact if I were to buy a vw don't ever get a NA one, boosted is always better.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VIDEO: 2k2 6speed vs 2k2 VW 1.8T

You're gonna sit there and tell me that you with clear corner mods are gonna beat a modded GTP?
Not only am I going to sit on my fat *** and say it; tonight when I get home from work, ill post you a video of me beating him.

EDIT: I take this back, I realize I do not have any recent races between me and my friend's GTP on video, tho I have friends on here that can vouch for me beating him on numerous occasions.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:03 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

GTP's ain't all that.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:07 AM
VQ Wizard

Why does there always have to be one of these?

Some dude posted a video of a 2K2 Max racing a modded 2K2 GTI 1.8T and you had to go way off topic and talk about something else. "Yeah but that Max would go down like a $2 hooker to my car" or "Like a $2 hooker to such and such car" SO WHAT! If you want to get off on a tangent like that then why not just start another thread. So then I could tell you how your S4 would go down like a $.50 hooker against my Maxima. Or maybe how all our cars would fare even less against John Force and his top fuel funny car.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:08 AM

Damn! Thought I was going to have my first flame, but it turns out you're not an @sshole.

I will contest your stock S4 vs stock 2K2 6-spd though. I haven't personally gone against one yet, but I thought somebody on the org had run with one and they had kept up.

Yes, the 1.8T has some great potential, and it is certainly easier to get some cheap HP out of these. I wish I could buy 30 HP and 60-70 ft-lbs of torque for $500. But like most cars, doubling the HP is serious $$$.

Didn't have to worry bout them keeping up with me non chipped. I have heavily modded my S4 however stock it is still one badass machine, an E36 M3 killer if you will. Yeah it would take alot more that $7k to get it to 400hp but I'm just saying that it could be done for the price of a max, this being said. I'd rather have a max just because it's a "step up" however the max would get it's *** handed to it, that being said so would my S4's. However I guess if max owners put $7k into their cars they would "haul the mail" so to speak. Keep in mind the only reason I sounded stern in my post was because being a VW/Audi driver I felt I needed to offer defense to the 1.8T engine. This engine is an incredible work of art and has hella potential. As a mater of fact if I were to buy a vw don't ever get a NA one, boosted is always better.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:13 AM

[B]

. Yeah it would take alot more that $7k to get it to 400hp but I'm just saying that it could be done for the price of a max, this being said.
I may not have read your reply correctly, but if you're trying to say that a S4 with $7k in mods = price of a new max, that would be incorrect. With carpoint.com numbers a new S4 = 38,900 a new maxima is only $24699 (i spent less than that myself)
Old 07-07-2002, 09:14 AM

last I checked, a 3.0L SC would make u all 2$ hookers.....if the tranny stayed on
Old 07-07-2002, 09:16 AM

My lady has a GTI 337 coming any time now. I am impressed to see how it hangs with the max. No it is not beating it, but I dont see the smack down from the max. It did ok for the lower numbers.

Take that 2-3 grand of work on the VW and put it into the max, then lets see it again.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VIDEO: 2k2 6speed vs 2k2 VW 1.8T

Damn! Thought I was going to have my first flame, but it turns out you're not an @sshole.

I will contest your stock S4 vs stock 2K2 6-spd though. I haven't personally gone against one yet, but I thought somebody on the org had run with one and they had kept up.

Yes, the 1.8T has some great potential, and it is certainly easier to get some cheap HP out of these. I wish I could buy 30 HP and 60-70 ft-lbs of torque for $500. But like most cars, doubling the HP is serious $$$.

Sorry to burst your bubble on the flame I give respect where respect is due and maximas definately show up on the respect list. My S4 is my first car that isn't a max. I've had a 4thgen (one of the red ones!) which got wrecked, and now my gf is driving a 2k1 max. I love these cars. Yeah that's what I love about the S4, just goto a website order the chip and it's plug and play hp. The S4 has a stock 0-60 of 5.5, I don't know the exact figures for the new max but if i remember correctly my 4thgen was like 6.7 or something like that. All I know is rolling, maybe but from the line my car would throw pavement on the hood of the max. That 4wd launch if freakin scary. I about **** my pants everytime
Old 07-07-2002, 09:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VIDEO: 2k2 6speed vs 2k2 VW 1.8T

I may not have read your reply correctly, but if you're trying to say that a S4 with $7k in mods = price of a new max, that would be incorrect. With carpoint.com numbers a new S4 = 38,900 a new maxima is only $24699 (i spent less than that myself)

What I meant was 7k mods on the 1.8T not on the S4. You put $7k into an S4 and you'll **** yourself.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VIDEO: 2k2 6speed vs 2k2 VW 1.8T

Sorry to burst your bubble on the flame I give respect where respect is due and maximas definately show up on the respect list. My S4 is my first car that isn't a max. I've had a 4thgen (one of the red ones!) which got wrecked, and now my gf is driving a 2k1 max. I love these cars. Yeah that's what I love about the S4, just goto a website order the chip and it's plug and play hp. The S4 has a stock 0-60 of 5.5, I don't know the exact figures for the new max but if i remember correctly my 4thgen was like 6.7 or something like that. All I know is rolling, maybe but from the line my car would throw pavement on the hood of the max. That 4wd launch if freakin scary. I about **** my pants everytime
What???

0-60 times are ALMOST useless in the subject of performance. They are simply times that car magazines can toss out to customers that gives the customers a base for "comparing" cars.

On the subject of a modded S4 making everyone on the road it's bltch...try again. Wait until you run into a lighly modded LS1 or a BPU supra...or even a DSM with some work...no matter how fast your car is....someone will ALWAYS be faster.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:28 AM

Not a problem on the flame.

2k2 6-spds are doing 14.3 1/4 miles, which I think is a few ticks faster than what I've seen listed for a stock S4.

Old 07-07-2002, 09:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VIDEO: 2k2 6speed vs 2k2 VW 1.8T

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

What???

0-60 times are ALMOST useless in the subject of performance. They are simply times that car magazines can toss out to customers that gives the customers a base for "comparing" cars.

On the subject of a modded S4 making everyone on the road it's bltch...try again. Wait until you run into a lighly modded LS1 or a BPU supra...or even a DSM with some work...no matter how fast your car is....someone will ALWAYS be faster.

Well no kidding! but in this case they ARE useless because I'm willing to bet that I've got about a second to screw around in a race with a max. Keep in mind I'm in KC so I don't really get to race any super modified supras or vipers, itailian stuff or anything like that. I do however get alot of rice and muscle cars. I've only lost 2wice, once to a Firehawk...he kicked my *** like it was a parttime job and second was this kid in a 03 cobra and he did it just as bad. But unless you've got a crap load of money in your max you aren't going to beat me...not even off a cliff cause I weigh about 4k pounds.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:31 AM

Not a problem on the flame.

2k2 6-spds are doing 14.3 1/4 miles, which I think is a few ticks faster than what I've seen listed for a stock S4.

That's a really impressive quarter and I've seen 13.8 as the average of stock S4s, but as the last guy posted those numbers are just bs. Seriously my old max i know did it less that 6.7...who the hell drives these tests????
Old 07-07-2002, 09:44 AM

What I meant was 7k mods on the 1.8T not on the S4. You put $7k into an S4 and you'll **** yourself.
Ahh, ok, sorry 'bout that. So in that case 22326-17225=$5101
Old 07-07-2002, 09:47 AM

Ahh, ok, sorry 'bout that. So in that case 22326-17225=$5101
Yeah that's what I meant, cause for the diff in modding out the 1.8 you could have a 2k2 max which would but twice the car for the money. Not as fast as a 1.8w/mods but you'd still have a better ride and a jump on most stuff on the road in the end.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:01 AM

Nice video
Old 07-07-2002, 10:45 AM

Geez, this thread has gone to he*l. How old are you guys? Do you have a driver's license yet? I just graduated high school. I'm 18 and I feel like I'm one of the more mature guys on this board. you guys are agruing about something that could go on forever. How bout you quit and move on to something more useful in life...go spend sometime with your brother or girlfriend or something...
Old 07-07-2002, 10:57 AM

Hey, I thought I would chime in b/c I was the one actually driving the Maxima in those races.. That is my brother's car (smokinodum) and he was following us in my SpecV.

BlackSE: i ASSURE you, that Smokinodum's Maxima has beaten our friends GTP many times. It has an intake, exhaust, and smaller supercharger pulley. His best time at the track was a 14.2 with his headlight removed.. Yet the Maxima beats him by a little bit from stoplights, and pulls him by a good 2+ carlenghts on rolling races.

Im sure we can go get some more vids of the Maxima vs the modafied GTP.

As for the 1.8T, it takes alot of work to get those things to the 400hp level. A local guy I know by the name of BilyT has a golf 1.8T putting around 350hp to the wheels and he has a TON of work on his car, including a T3/T40E hybrid turbo. It is fast, but tends to break things every time hes out at the track. I guess thats the price u pay for running so much power.

Anyways, the guy above was right, this thread is getting out of hand. Why cant u tardos stay on subject for once
Old 07-07-2002, 11:01 AM

2 words "turbo owns"
Old 07-07-2002, 11:27 AM

another thing, my margin of victory was 2-3 carlengths every time. it is kind of hard to tell due to the camera angle.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax
2 words "turbo owns"
tell it
Old 07-07-2002, 11:54 AM

Peep this.
http://www.tri-statesho-svt.org/movi...obra_12_94.mpg

Originally posted by Jaws

Old 07-07-2002, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by xtantmaxima
Peep this.
http://www.tri-statesho-svt.org/movi...obra_12_94.mpg

Very nice....Mmmmmm boost
Old 07-07-2002, 12:38 PM

very nice videos!!! - man i want another max real bad now!
Old 07-07-2002, 07:41 PM

I (smokinodum) just got back from racing him again tonight. This time I drove my car and not my brother. I had an extra passenger this time, and last time he had the extra passenger. And the weird part is I bet him by a larger distance this time around

Oh yah, and it was with the GTP in the third lane. He places last out of us three.