5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What has been the Maximas brightest and darkest hour?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 10:08 PM

What has been the Maximas brightest and darkest hour?

Since I've been down and out on Maximas lately (forgive me, mine is STILL in the shop), I thought this would be a fun little exchange. Lets keep this 5th gen specific by the way.

Brightest hour: My second run at the track in the car stock when I ran my record time and pulvarized a group of Integras. Before I ran and told them I ran a 14.3 previously they demanded time slips. I offered to run them instead...the result is history.

Darkest hour: spontaneous MAF on I-65 outside of Birmingham at 10pm....some two hours from home. You'll never know embarassment until you til helpful bystanders that your new 2002 haas broken down and you dont know why.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:28 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

hmmm

you only have about 2 months of memory lane to go down, no?

Worst? Having to get ready for a biz trip.. Running all my errands because I'll be gone for over a week. I have a full day of things to do. its literally 106 outside and my AC goes out. I have to catch a plane at 5pm. I'm in a suit, I'm sitting on leather, and my blood pressure is thru the roof because my 3 month old 27K car doesnt have AC. AND now I will have to go home and re-shower and get ready again... and the Nissan dealer totally blows me off when I called. (turned out to be overcharged from the factory, took 5 mins to fix 2 weeks later..)

as I'm coming out of the store, it wouldnt start until the 3rd try (hard starting issue). I swear... if I had a way to make a fire, I would have left that damn thing burning in the mall parking lot.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:37 PM

Well, I bought the car on Feb. 27th, so I have about five months of memories, but over one month of that time it is has been in the body shop....grrrrrr.

Tim, you have had terrible luck with your Maxima......I mean I know you care for it like a newborn child, but geez.....you must have gotten one built right before a strike or something.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:04 PM

yeah..

well.. sure, that sounds like a ton of drama.. and yeah it sucked... but it turned out to be a quick fix and it didnt strand me. Really, if thats the worst thing that ever happened to my max, I shouldnt be complaining at all. Again, considering all the problems with ALL cars and brands, I think the maxima is better than average.. its still a great value.

yeah, my paint is crap too.. so its VERY hard to take the care I do with it, sometimes I wonder if its worth it. But I always take care of whatever I have regardless.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:09 PM

I've been hating on the Maxima ALOT lately mainly because my last car payment was for it to bascially sit at the body shop...... Obviously I like it enough to plunk down and buy it, so I know in my heart of hears that its still a great car....just infuriating when I paid for something that I have'nt driven since 6/3.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:20 AM

Um, my question would be, is it @ the body shop because of manufacturing flaws? Or did you hit a pole/elderly woman/bicycle? Because if you hit something or something hit you, that's not really a Maxima issue is it? I've had mine for 2 months now.

High Point: First WOT run after FrankenBerk Install

Low Point: First Paint Chip After Trip To San Diego

All in all, I love my Maxima so much. It's a great all-around car. Especially with the addition to my 2K2 Autotragic of:

Clear Corners
FSTB
RSB
FrankenBerk Intake
AE Sills
AE Pedals and matching Dead Pedal
MagnetBra
2 Coats Klasse AIO, 3 Coats Klasse SG, 2 Coats Meguiars #28
Old 07-08-2002, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by Neal728
Um, my question would be, is it @ the body shop because of manufacturing flaws? Or did you hit a pole/elderly woman/bicycle? Because if you hit something or something hit you, that's not really a Maxima issue is it? I've had mine for 2 months now.

High Point: First WOT run after FrankenBerk Install

Low Point: First Paint Chip After Trip To San Diego

All in all, I love my Maxima so much. It's a great all-around car. Especially with the addition to my 2K2 Autotragic of:

Clear Corners
FSTB
RSB
FrankenBerk Intake
AE Sills
AE Pedals and matching Dead Pedal
MagnetBra
2 Coats Klasse AIO, 3 Coats Klasse SG, 2 Coats Meguiars #28
Its at the shop due to an auto accident. Like I said, I've just been ticked and hating on it even though its not the cars fault. I'll snap out of it when I pick it up I'm sure.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:45 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

brightest hour: running a 14.3 on my first run in the car, AND my first time every dragging a standard car in front of about 30 other maximas who were betting i wouldn't break 15.0. then to go and back it up with another 14.3.

darkest hour: toss up between the accident of 4-9-02 OR on July 4th i was up at hampton beach cruising the strip for too long. like 2 hours with my system going and A/C blasting with windows down. i wasn't driving fast enough for the alternator to kick in and the car just dies in front of like 321454 hot girls. my friends got out and had to PUSH my car down a side street and then i let it sit for like 10 minutes and i got it to barely turn over and we just left.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:31 AM

Brightest hour: 14.902 seconds @ 92.02 mph (June 8, 2002)

Darkest hour: 15.335 seconds @ 88.48 mph (July 6, 2002)
Old 07-08-2002, 05:37 AM

Well, I have only been driving my max for about 2 weeks.

My brightest hour was ripping second gear and chirping third for the first time.

My darkest hour was the MIL coming on because of some catalyst error. The Nissan dealer pulled the code and it hasnt come back yet but if it does I may need to have the ECU software upgraded.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2
..... the car just dies in front of like 321454 hot girls. my friends got out and had to PUSH my car down a side street and then i let it sit for like 10 minutes and i got it to barely turn over and we just left.
LOL Oh, Steve. that's funny.

Sorry about your embarassment. Luckily Hampton is full of 1-weekers and touroids.

Shaydz
Old 07-08-2002, 07:38 AM

I've been there...

walking out of a store, car was brand new (late-99), very attractive woman says "nice car"... "thanks" - get in and rr-rrrr-rrrr rrr-rrrr-rrrr rrrrr-rrrrr-rrrrr starts then runs like crap for about 5 secs.

Doh, thank god those hard starting days are gone.. then again, so are the looks at the car
Old 07-08-2002, 10:46 AM

Okay, new darkest hour (for the Prelude...not the Maxima)

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=134569
Old 07-08-2002, 11:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The brightest moment of my max was when I raced my friends new used modded 95 Mustang GT VS may vewry new max with kust a stillen intake. The smack talking amongst my freinds before the race was classic. Things like "he's going to destroy, don't bother" . I kept quite and ju7st said let's give it a try and see what happens So we rtaced and I smoked him by about 2 car lenghts! Teghn I did it again and again! He put a 347 stroker in his stang now though so ther fun is over..

The worst moment by far was when some little punk in a honda was tailing me and I decided to show him what was up! I proceded from the light and smacked through first and second geat at WOT. Once it came time to shift to 3rd I threw the car into 3rd gear and then nothing.. the car no longer had any power. I had to role off to the side of a very bussy road looking like a complete idiot. The smirk on the honda's driver face was to kill for I managed to snap my cable shifter braket right off of my tranny. At first I thought I went into 1st gear rather then 3rd, I allready blew my clutch from going from 3 to 2nd(in my I30) at a out of state state maxima meet.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:08 AM
lcf

brightest
when i drove it home for the first time.

darkest
when i lost control on I-80 somewhere in wyoming during a blizzard with my bald re92's, completed a 360º maneuver, took out a mile marker, and ended up in a ditch.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Brightest day: 1. After every car wash. 2. After every kill.

Darkest hour: When I crashed into the curb trying to avoid some lady who decided to slam on her brakes on some offramp in Jersey. Destroyed my whole suspension which equalled to $3,800 in damage.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:19 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Brightest: Hitting 130 mph on the way home from California after buying it with AC/DC cranked.

Darkest:
Tie- Having mismatched wheels for a week OR
Running a 19.2 my VERY first time at the track. I smoked the clutch so bad that it wouldn't get out of gear. It redlined the whole way down the track. I recovered and shortly thereafter ran a 15.8 (which still sucks). But it was like 200 degrees outside too......

Oh and before I get flamed, all I had done was my Y Pipe..... No exhaust or intake.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:42 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

He he

Bright Moments
1) Every time washed and waxed and all the stares
2) "Surprizing" people on the highway
3) 4 doors.... 5-speed
4) Chirping 3rd (wet to dry transition) while racing a RICED honda...my favorite to date. To look at his face and shut it down right then and there should have made a M/C commercial

Dark Moments
1) Having to take it in for service for anything
2) Paint, seeing the chips/marks/scratches start to add up.
3) Having to decide whether to take the Max or my Rice Rocket!
Old 07-08-2002, 12:49 PM

Re: He he

brightest

when a VERY hot, dark, smart asian girl said "dope car" to me...

darkest

Old 07-08-2002, 01:14 PM

Darkest: When my I realized my tranny was fried after I pulled into a gas station and it was at 21,000 miles (no reverse)

Brightest: See Below
Old 07-08-2002, 01:24 PM

Brightest Moment:

The day I bought it in Feb. 2002 and drove from Houston, TX where I bought it to Arlington, TX where I live.

Darkest Moment:

Same day... Have I got a story for you. I bought a brand new Super Black (with black interior) 2002 Nissan Maxima SE auto in Houston, TX on Feb. 16th. I drove it
3.5 hours home to Arlington, TX, the same day, and by the time I got home I was in love with this car. It is so damn smooth.

I have it home less than 5 minutes and I haven't even got my lovely wife (we are newlyweds) downstairs to look at it, and we hear a crash in the parking
lot. And my alarm. Some dumb 21-year-old b*i*t*c*h runs into it in the parking lot of my apartment complex, ripping the entire rear bumper assembly
off the damn car. Then she takes off. Hit and Run. Cops come out 2 hours later, my wife and I in total shock. Neighbors walking around outside at 11:30 pm

like a tornado just hit, just confused. Wife can't stop crying, because she knew how much the car meant to me, I had been planning the purchase for
almost a year. Shattered left taillamp, structural metal on the ground, bumper styrofoam all over, bumper in pieces, the works. Good news is, the next
morning I found her car in the complex. and the cops came back out and identified it as the culprit vehicle. So she is getting criminal charges, but the
repairs went on my uninsured motorist policy because she had no damn insurance!

Luckily, the body shop did a great job (after two weeks and $4500 worth of repairs) and it looks brand new again. But I am more paranoid than ever. And it
sucks. I had ulcers for two straight weeks with this crap.
If anything good came out of my story it was this: although the bill was large, it was completely covered by insurance since it was uninsured motorist
incident, it was a rear end collision that didn't even knock my car out of alignment, (I had the body shop do a full work-up on that) so it didn't affect how it
drives, and the body shop was a certified Nissan body shop that was directly affiliated with a dealership next door so of course they used only all-original
Nissan parts... So the car really is looking and driving as good as new, months later... But even typing the story still gets me all fired up... It was the same
damn day I bought it for crying out loud!
Old 07-08-2002, 08:17 PM

Brightest Moment: Looking at my car tonight after just putting on my new rims and tires...this will be replaced when I get my NOS installed (next week) and I blast that the first time.

Darkest: Backed into a small rock wall at g/f's work, and made many little cuts/scratches in back bumper