5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2000, 08:44 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=12977

Just need some INPUT from you 5th Gen guys ... since we have same Car!

Thanx!
Old 12-08-2000, 09:00 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 12-09-2000, 03:27 AM
Got Bent?

Sounds strange .....Perhaps we should try to see if it happens on ours.....
Old 12-09-2000, 07:29 AM

I noticed something similiar, in that I used the key fob to open the driver's side door (only). I opened the driver's side door, put some stuff in the console, and closed the driver's side door. I went back in the house to get something else. The alarm started going off a short time later (e.g. no more than a minute or two). Is this kind of the same thing?
Old 12-11-2000, 09:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My alarm has gone off a few times, due to my accidently bumping into something while the key fob is in my pocket, setting off the panic button. I suspect that's the answer here.
Old 12-11-2000, 09:37 AM

Naw ... my keys were on my Night Stand ... Nowhere NEAR me!

Originally posted by Magellan
My alarm has gone off a few times, due to my accidently bumping into something while the key fob is in my pocket, setting off the panic button. I suspect that's the answer here.
Old 12-12-2000, 09:34 AM

same problem..

one day the alarm went off twice, the lights weren't on or anything, and the car had been sitting there all day, and then the alarm sounds twice, once at 8:00pm, and then at 8:15pm. that was about a month ago, hasn't happened since, but it freaked me out cause i thought someone was messing around with my car.
Old 12-12-2000, 12:04 PM
TX2KSE

I used to have a similar problem with my Firebird. It had an aftermarket alarm system.

This is what was happening with that car:

When I set the alarm on the car, the alarm checked all sensors, and if the sensor was signalling, then the alarm would wait. After fifteen minutes, if the sensor was still signalling, the alarm would ignore that sensor and arm the system.

The doors had plunger switches that told the alarm if the door was open or closed. When the door was open, the switch made contact, thus sending a "on" signal to the alarm. When the door was closed, the switch was open, and no signal was sent ("off").

I think moisture got into the switch, shorting it out. The alarm saw the switch as "on" whether the door was open or not. After the door was closed, the alarm still thought it was open due to the short, and fifteen minutes later, would ignore the switch and arm anyway.

Then, I think, the moisture would evaporate, and the short would break ("off"). The alarm would see this loss of signal from that sensor, and consider it a change in condition, thus setting off the alarm.

No one could disprove my theory.

Of course, I have no idea if the Max's alarm works the same way.

Old 12-12-2000, 02:45 PM

do you have LoJack?

I had LoJack installed, when I purchased my car. After they installed it, my alarm would for no reason go off. It would happen at work at home, everywhere. I was pissed. So after thinking about what had changed I finally narrowed it down to my sound system or LoJack.

I called Lojack first and they sent someone over.

What they found was.... they had tapped onto the current that goes to the map light, they relocated their tap to something else, and Voila!! my problem was gone. The tech said that the map light is somehow connected to the alarm, so if I were you I would take it to the dealer and have them look at it.

It has not happened again.
Old 12-13-2000, 04:48 AM

it's not suppose to do that. someone must have tried to break in to your car. and it could have been just a coincidence that you left your map light on. nissan has engineered a safety feature that turns off the map light after a few minutes. many people in the past have drained out their batteries due to this, therefore they came up with this system so the battery doesn't die. of course all fo the above is just a hypothesis.
Old 12-13-2000, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by mingo
it's not suppose to do that. someone must have tried to break in to your car. and it could have been just a coincidence that you left your map light on. nissan has engineered a safety feature that turns off the map light after a few minutes. many people in the past have drained out their batteries due to this, therefore they came up with this system so the battery doesn't die. of course all fo the above is just a hypothesis.

Hehehe
Hey Mingo!
Why you trying to jack into other people's cars
Old 12-13-2000, 06:44 AM

oops i'm sorry.
Old 12-13-2000, 06:48 AM

Its ok
Old 12-13-2000, 07:57 AM

I use to get that in my 3rd gen (1990 max se) all the time... for no reason it would just go on and then like 30 sec later or something it would shut off but i would have to run out always shut it off, the 3rd gen didnt have a key fob so i had to run and put the key in the door and open and close it. Never happened on my 2000. But what did happen was pretty weird. I was in the car driving and my window (drivers) was open like 3 inches. so i wanted to close it so i pull up the switch and let it do its auto thing so it goes up and then as soon as it goes up it comes back down to where it was before (about 3 inches down) i didnt understand what was happening i tryed like 4 times over and it kept doing it closing and then opening right away. finally it closed and stayed closed. It did this only once but i still have no explanation. did this happen to any of you?