6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: How does it look?
Looks good
42.51%
Looks ugly
29.95%
the look will grow on me
24.81%
no comment
2.72%
Voters: 661. You may not vote on this poll

How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 03:13 AM
Administrator

How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima

post your comments and vote here...

any more individual ugly posts will be locked...

Old 12-19-2002, 04:33 AM

Overall it's nice ....

The front bumper needs to be larger and more aggresive, the split grill takes something away. The head lights seem to look a little odd compared to the altima.

Love the rear, and profile.

Need to see it in person to see the lines.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:09 AM

Re: Overall it's nice ....

Im just sick of everyone saying it looks like an Altima. If they would have released the new Maxima before the Altima, then everyone would say, EW, the new Altima looks like the new Maxima.

Most all car brands, like to have an identity, they just dont release them all at once, they cant. Look at Mercedes, they all look like each other somewhat, just different sizes with minor detail differences. Imagine this, they all look like Mercedes!

So, my opinion on the 2004 Maxima, most all cars look wierd when they first come out because no one is used to it. But hey, wow! It looks like a Nissan! Wierd huh!?
Old 12-19-2002, 09:09 AM

Re: Re: Overall it's nice ....

Originally posted by JMax2K
Im just sick of everyone saying it looks like an Altima. If they would have released the new Maxima before the Altima, then everyone would say, EW, the new Altima looks like the new Maxima.

Most all car brands, like to have an identity, they just dont release them all at once, they cant. Look at Mercedes, they all look like each other somewhat, just different sizes with minor detail differences. Imagine this, they all look like Mercedes!

So, my opinion on the 2004 Maxima, most all cars look wierd when they first come out because no one is used to it. But hey, wow! It looks like a Nissan! Wierd huh!?
thats true...but the altima isnt all that good of a starting point...it looks okay, but nissan shouldnt make every car look like it! some people love it, others hate it....i guess those who hate the current design of the altima are screwed when it comes to buying nissans
Old 12-19-2002, 09:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Overall it's nice ....

Originally posted by benzcl500

thats true...but the altima isnt all that good of a starting point...it looks okay, but nissan shouldnt make every car look like it! some people love it, others hate it....i guess those who hate the current design of the altima are screwed when it comes to buying nissans
That is part of my point, I dont think they used the Altima as a starting point. The Altima looks like a new Nissan, and so does the new Maxima.. geeeez
Old 12-19-2002, 09:25 AM

That is part of my point, I dont think they used the Altima as a starting point. The Altima looks like a new Nissan, and so does the new Maxima.. geeeez
it doesnt matter whether or not they used it as a starting point...whtever they have got in mind is stupid...if theyre going to standardize a design, at least make pleasing to the masses
just my .02
Old 12-19-2002, 09:48 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by benzcl500

it doesnt matter whether or not they used it as a starting point...whtever they have got in mind is stupid...if theyre going to standardize a design, at least make pleasing to the masses
just my .02
can't please them all enh?
Old 12-19-2002, 10:31 AM
Administrator

this is funny because everyone felt the same way when the 4th and 5th Gen's where introduced
Old 12-19-2002, 11:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The car looks like a big lincoln continental geez the car is ugly... from what frontal pics I saw the grill seems to be bigger and more distorted than the altima... Yes the first 5th gen were ugly 95-96... That's why (just my opinion) most of us have 97-99 Max's cause the first design was ugly and then they made a few changes... The fact is that now there are trying to move to an older crowd forgetting that young people made up much of there sales to the corp.... Who are the mooks that do customer surveys on whether or not the mass will like the car...? they should be shot...At least fired at..
Old 12-19-2002, 12:34 PM

I said the lights look odd compared to the Alitma, but thats about it. Also, whether the Altima existed or not the lights look odd, spread too far apart with a Big grill, and small bumper. I also said I have to see it in person to see the lines.(Don't understand the attitude)

The issue most people have is, the Maxima is the flagship, therefore it should lead the design push, not follow a "lesser car". Only people who have excessive issues with cars will draw this conclusion as a negative. MOST will say, "boy that's a nice looking car".

Anyway ....
Old 12-19-2002, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by jbgoodmax

(Don't understand the attitude)

I didnt quote your response, so you shouldnt assume someone is responding to your post just because it follows yours.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:53 PM

nissan is just over hauling the fleet for the new decade. it started with the frontier,then the sentra,next was altima, now its maximas turn. the murano just might phase out the pathfinder. the xterra is a new branch on the family tree. if you dont get it look at the past nissan fleet. 88-94. look how the vehicles changed. then look at the 941/2 - 2000. notice how the whole fleet changed again. they even dropped cars. nissan is smart, very smart. imho there the only car maker whos second line of cars arent carbon copies. unlike toyota and there lexus line. for example. when im done with my 98' ill be on the 6 gen like white on rice. i like it. this post has been done imho.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:34 PM

I have to admit that the official Nissan pic had me very disappointed. The angle of that pic isn't very flattering. Even though I haven't seen a completely undisguised front pic yet, I like the 6th Gen the more I look at it. Very good evolution while trying to achieve a corporate look.

I doubt this car will appeal to very many people that frequent this message board. Partly because of the expected cost, but also because of it's size.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm new to the forum, so go easy on me. I have owned an 89 and 95 Maxima, and currently own a 01 I30. I'm very interested in the 04 Maxima, partly because I have a great relation with a Nissan dealer, and just not sure of some things about the G35 yet (and the dealers).

Now- my opinion on the 04. I like what I see, holding out until we see the real front end (Pleeeease no middle section), and the interior.

But what I really don't understand, is how so many current owners can be put off by it. I mean, every single magazine article on the current Maxima trash's the looks because of the funky looking rear end - and I agree completely. And I don't think the "jutting & drooping" front end looks much better. Is the 04 really worse than that???
Old 12-20-2002, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by 98maxblackwind
nissan is just over hauling the fleet for the new decade. it started with the frontier,then the sentra,next was altima, now its maximas turn. the murano just might phase out the pathfinder. the xterra is a new branch on the family tree. if you dont get it look at the past nissan fleet. 88-94. look how the vehicles changed. then look at the 941/2 - 2000. notice how the whole fleet changed again. they even dropped cars. nissan is smart, very smart. imho there the only car maker whos second line of cars arent carbon copies. unlike toyota and there lexus line. for example. when im done with my 98' ill be on the 6 gen like white on rice. i like it. this post has been done imho.
Agreed.. And Nissan's not done yet. Their new full-size truck and SUV are due out soon.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:40 PM

Its ok but not my taste, it looks like my Altima which IMO looks better.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:56 PM

I don't know why I'm bothering to respond because so many already share my opinion about this car. I think what we see is that the Maxima is continuing along its path of evolution. Each generation has incrementally moved the Maxima to its current form in the 6th generation. With 6 generations now to assess, my personal favorite for all around "maxima-ness" as the brouchures often quote is the 3rd. However, each successive Maxima has grown in some ways at the expense of others. In a sense it is growing "with" the customer base that may have "discovered" it in its 2nd or 3rd generation. However, I think the 6th generation may succeed in alienating many of us...including my sons that my look elsewhere when their checkbooks allow them to move up in vehicle status and size. It would really come as a surprise to me if there are as many or more former Maxima owners that go for a 6th gen than non-Nissan or non-Maxima owners. I think they are trying hard to appeal to a "new" consumer. Unfortunately, they want those of us that are currently devoted to the Max to maybe go backwards to an Altima or move upwards to Infiniti(which I just about did...but landed instead on an 03 Max for my wife AFTER seeing pics of the 04...ouch).

Anyway, no amount of polling, trashing, whining, or second-guessing is going to change what is as of this moment working its way down the assembly line only a few miles from my house. Unlike many of you on this thread, I believe the car's build quaility will be top-shelf, and I think the car will find its way into the hearts of a "new" generation of buyers. Yeah, it may not be a lot of us, but by the time we get over it, guess what, we're going to evolve to and probably realize that we are ready, and willing, to move outside the Nissan brands. I'll say this now and I believe it to be true...I'll never buy another Maxima. Unless the 7th gen (or perhaps the 6 1/2 gen) returns closer to whatever it is that we feel are the "roots" of the Maxima. Let's hope they figure that out; they certainly have lost it this go-around.

Ok, I'm done (grin).

srm
Old 12-21-2002, 11:03 PM
I love lamp.

The 6th gen is taking sometime to warm up too, but it may be a nice car. If you give it AWD, I will say it's great, otherwise, I don't know what to say.

Sarin
Old 12-26-2002, 03:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maxmann
[B]Unfortunately, they want those of us that are currently devoted to the Max to maybe go backwards to an Altima or move upwards to Infiniti(which I just about did...but landed instead on an 03 Max for my wife AFTER seeing pics of the 04...ouch).

Move down to an Altima? granted the interior has issues but besides that a 3.5se is more than a match for the current 5th gen Max. jmo.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Maxmann
I don't know why I'm bothering to respond because so many already share my opinion about this car. I think what we see is that the Maxima is continuing along its path of evolution. Each generation has incrementally moved the Maxima to its current form in the 6th generation. With 6 generations now to assess, my personal favorite for all around "maxima-ness" as the brouchures often quote is the 3rd. However, each successive Maxima has grown in some ways at the expense of others. In a sense it is growing "with" the customer base that may have "discovered" it in its 2nd or 3rd generation. However, I think the 6th generation may succeed in alienating many of us...including my sons that my look elsewhere when their checkbooks allow them to move up in vehicle status and size. It would really come as a surprise to me if there are as many or more former Maxima owners that go for a 6th gen than non-Nissan or non-Maxima owners. I think they are trying hard to appeal to a "new" consumer. Unfortunately, they want those of us that are currently devoted to the Max to maybe go backwards to an Altima or move upwards to Infiniti(which I just about did...but landed instead on an 03 Max for my wife AFTER seeing pics of the 04...ouch).

Anyway, no amount of polling, trashing, whining, or second-guessing is going to change what is as of this moment working its way down the assembly line only a few miles from my house. Unlike many of you on this thread, I believe the car's build quaility will be top-shelf, and I think the car will find its way into the hearts of a "new" generation of buyers. Yeah, it may not be a lot of us, but by the time we get over it, guess what, we're going to evolve to and probably realize that we are ready, and willing, to move outside the Nissan brands. I'll say this now and I believe it to be true...I'll never buy another Maxima. Unless the 7th gen (or perhaps the 6 1/2 gen) returns closer to whatever it is that we feel are the "roots" of the Maxima. Let's hope they figure that out; they certainly have lost it this go-around.

Ok, I'm done (grin).

srm

I agree. It seems like Nissan is trying to squeeze everything they can out of the popularity of the Altima which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but what ever happen to the "4 Door Sports Car" motto? Like someone noticed on another thread,the '04 looks like a Saturn from the side view for God's Sake! No matter how many times I've looked at that thing I still can't find any love for it.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:49 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I think all will be well once Nissan Gives $tillen a SE of their own.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:28 PM

I'm not sure I like the car. Too bubbly-looking; immediatly reminded me of an Audi. And ,like most everyone else, I don't like the rear. Seems too big and awkward. The cabin needs to be less obtuse, and the roof line should be lower. But in the end, it's still a Maxima, and it will go fast for fewer dollars than many of its competitors. I think I'll get used to it. Like so many have said, you need to see it in person to get a good feel for it.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by jbgoodmax

I said the lights look odd compared to the Alitma, but thats about it. Also, whether the Altima existed or not the lights look odd, spread too far apart with a Big grill, and small bumper. I also said I have to see it in person to see the lines.(Don't understand the attitude)

The issue most people have is, the Maxima is the flagship, therefore it should lead the design push, not follow a "lesser car". Only people who have excessive issues with cars will draw this conclusion as a negative. MOST will say, "boy that's a nice looking car".

Anyway ....

Exactly! The Max should lead the design push, not follow. I am so disappointed I don't know what to do. I remember being a kid in the 80's. When I first saw a Max my jaw dropped. There was absolutlely no car on the road that could compare. The Max was the hottest thing out, and the car that all others aspired to be. I don't think that is the case now (as far as looks). They have given it "cookie cutter" looks that are uninspiring. When I think of the Max I think of the 4 door rocket that I could not wait to drive in 1992. The looks were strong, distinct, and unique. Now the Max looks like every other car out there. It's a real shame in my opinion. With Acura doing their best to have the TL take a bite out of the Maxima stronghold on the industry I looked for Nissan to do something that others would be scrambling to catch up with. I'm afraid that it didn't happen. It seems that the G35 will now be what the Max was originally intended to be. The unique class leader. The Max is now a follower of its little brother the Altima. That's sad in my opinion. Another thing is that the Maxima crowd and the Toyota Avalon crowd are totally different. For some reason it seems like Nissan does not realize this. They are now trying to appeal to a group that doesn't look for the same things that we so in a car. Avalon drivers are not interested in the same high levels of performance. If they were they would not be driving Avalons. That's strictly my opinion. But I think that the only way they can pull this out is to drop over 300 horses in there and add AWD. That would give at least some level of distinction in a market where just about every product in this class and others looks the same and posesses similar specs.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:51 AM

I think that the difference is that with MB the S-Class was followed by the C and E classes. It didn't follow them. It may seem small or petty, but I think that it makes a big difference to consumers. That's just my opinion.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by warrlocked

I doubt this car will appeal to very many people that frequent this message board. Partly because of the expected cost, but also because of it's size.

I agree. But don't you think that is a problem? We'll then be left to "find a new home" so to speak. We would be left out to dry. I think that is a mistake by Nissan. I am undoubtedly leaning toward a G35 now that the photos of the 6th Gen. Max have been released, especially if they drop the AWD version in a couple of months.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by Maxmann

Ok, I'm done (grin).

srm
I agree. It's like the current Max supporters are being displaced and or forgotten about. To move up in the infiniti line doesn't give us a lot of options either...only an M45 or a Q45. The Q wold not be bad maybe, but the M45 is not appealing at all in my opinion. I think that lack of options within the brand will force many to look outside of it. I would hate to do that. But as you said, unless soemthing changes to bring back that Max appeal my 95 may be my last.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:58 AM

No offense ... but

I'm glad the Max is moving out of the "boy toy" market. A class leader like that should be more ...

Most people will forget and/or not give a rats @ss about the Altima being "first" in design theme. Us gear heads carry soooo much bagage around when it comes to cars.

If the Max matures, we will need to give it a nice send off, and look to the Altima. Once we see it person we may totally change our minds.

As for me, the grill thing can be fixed pretty easy.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by 95gxe

I think that the difference is that with MB the S-Class was followed by the C and E classes. It didn't follow them. It may seem small or petty, but I think that it makes a big difference to consumers. Tha
t's just my opinion.
I have been thinking the same thing since seeing the new maxima pictures. It is a regression to a lesser model in the product line.

Besides, who wants to buy a bloated dressed up Altima look alike, when you can get a Infinity G35 or the mazda 6 for almost the same money.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by 95gxe

I think that the difference is that with MB the S-Class was followed by the C and E classes. It didn't follow them. It may seem small or petty, but I think that it makes a big difference to consumers. That's just my opinion.
those cars all look good from various angles I cant say the same for this car. Nissan got it right with the Atli and the Z but the Max and the Murano(Murano is just ok) on the other hand lets just leave it at that!
Old 01-05-2003, 01:21 PM
vqman

the style is alright, but I don't like the grill...I do like the interior...

but the exterior looks cheap to me..

-vq

Old 01-05-2003, 06:08 PM

BRAVO NISSAN

Nice job..

I WILL HAVE ONE, SE, 6 speed, not a DEMO but my own family sedan

BRAVO nissan for giving me a real 4 door sports car to shut up my audi A6 and BMW 530 friends with...

Not to mention anything acura has in the mix..
Old 01-06-2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
this is funny because everyone felt the same way when the 4th and 5th Gen's where introduced
I totally agree. Actually, I was one of those people. That's why even though the front makes me think of a toothless cyclops, it will grow on me just like the 5th gen did.

Buzz
Old 01-07-2003, 01:41 PM

This damn car is already starting to grow on me. After I saw the video I was hooked. Just that damn front tooth has to go.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Re: BRAVO NISSAN

Originally posted by bluefish
Nice job..

I WILL HAVE ONE, SE, 6 speed, not a DEMO but my own family sedan

BRAVO nissan for giving me a real 4 door sports car to shut up my audi A6 and BMW 530 friends with...

Not to mention anything acura has in the mix..

Well, Carlos Gohsn said that for as long as he's CEO of Nissan, he's gonna stive for every Nissan sedan to be the most powerful in its class. Or was it every model?
Old 01-07-2003, 10:07 PM

All I wanna know is... who are the 4 fools (j/k) who actually took time out of their day to vote "no comment" in a poll asking for their comments?!?!?!?!?
Old 01-08-2003, 03:00 PM
living out of a maxima...

Originally posted by SG01MaxSE
All I wanna know is... who are the 4 fools (j/k) who actually took time out of their day to vote "no comment" in a poll asking for their comments?!?!?!?!?
good question. furthermore, is "no comment" considered their comment? what about those who viewed the poll but did not vote... they have "no comment"

as for the new max, I gotta see it in person. from the pics it looks ugly, but as others said, so did the 5th gen when it came out.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:34 PM

So far I don't like it either. It's a bigger car than what I'd want. It may eventually grow on me, but I may have a 2K3 by then. After seeing the 2K4 and hearing how soon it's due out I began scrambling to get my financial ducks in a row to potentially order a 2K3 by the end of the month. If it doesn't work out the 2K4 had better grow on me or I'll be looking at Infinity G35's before too long.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

From what I see from pictures (all i can get my eyes on) the 2004 Maxima looks horrible. The thing is, the Maxima has always has it's own identity, now I can't tell if its an altima, maxima, or a saturn. I've always loved it for it's agressive headlights but now i dont know what to think of the headlights. Another thing that attracts me to it like no other car is it's balance. What i mean by balance is....the hood level and the trunk level have always been at the same height. Like the rest of the cars out there today, it now has the "big-butt" effect goin on. It has lost its design that it has held out since the first maxima was made. The flat back is cool too. The tailights on the 95-99's are the most recognizable on the road, you can pick out a maxima from a long way when its in front of you. Thats another story though. I think the max has lost its identity and when I someday get a maxima (hopefully) it won't be a 2004.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:32 AM

Re: How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima

Originally posted by SprintMax
post your comments and vote here...

any more individual ugly posts will be locked...

I love the new look ...I like the altima, Maxima has always had a great design, the 2004 is no different. It has a lot of space inside..with some cool features..only thing bad is the grill
Old 01-14-2003, 09:29 AM

It looks phat as long as the first mod available is an aftermarket grille.

Oh yeah, I dont like the cornering light chillin on the side like that. It makes it look like a lazy eye

Quick Reply: How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima