6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: How does it look?
Looks good
42.51%
Looks ugly
29.95%
the look will grow on me
24.81%
no comment
2.72%
Voters: 661. You may not vote on this poll

How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by hofb99
Hey, Oxidizer2k, didn't see anyone respond to your question above, but I will. Pretty much Nissan uses its award-winning VQ35 engine on a lot of its platforms (I35, G35s/c, MAX, 350Z, Altima, etc...). The difference in horses is what's simply called air restriction (or choking the hell out of your car). The engines used on the various platforms are pretty much the same, but are "tuned" for more power output by the way the air intake/outtake (exhaust)/etc... is configured for a specific model. Also, I think maybe the tranny may be tweaked a little for each car as well. Gear ratios are probably "tighter" on say maybe a 6MT 350Z as compared to the way it's tuned for a 6MT MAX (just a guess on the tranny though). But all-in-all, the horsepower number games that the company plays all points to one common factor--airflow. Hope that helps!
its been so long that I forgot I asked this question.... Thanks for noticing me!!
Old 01-26-2004, 12:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
its been so long that I forgot I asked this question.... Thanks for noticing me!!
WERD!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 08:48 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by bluemaxx
Horse ****
How did you arrive @ that conclusion
Old 02-16-2004, 06:52 AM

I like the design, thats why i bought it. The back bumper looks bold and hides the cars largeness and utility, dwarfing the trunk, and makes it look sleek. And the four tailpipes just look cool. I love the interior with the three pods that house the chrometer, tachometer, ect. and the three post steering wheel and the center info unit. All my friends think its a nav when i dont turn the car on.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:09 PM
MaxedOut97SE

The maroon red SE looks absolutely bad-a$$. Didn't care too much for them at first. But still, 97-99 SE is the best looking Max ever!

Old 02-17-2004, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Joseph Zheng
I like the design, thats why i bought it. The back bumper looks bold and hides the cars largeness and utility, dwarfing the trunk, and makes it look sleek. And the four tailpipes just look cool. I love the interior with the three pods that house the chrometer, tachometer, ect. and the three post steering wheel and the center info unit. All my friends think its a nav when i dont turn the car on.
The totally redesigned look and feel sold me on the 04. I like all Maximas but this is definately the Best looking. IMHO
Old 02-21-2004, 07:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

just got an '04 max se. feb1. have 4,000 plus miles. did 1 oil change. thinking of going to syn.oil. any opion?
Old 02-21-2004, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Joseph Zheng

Hides the car's largeness? That's like "Gee that woman's face is hideous. Good thing she has such a huge bottom that you don't really notice her face."
Old 02-21-2004, 07:54 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by jreddington3
Hides the car's largeness? That's like "Gee that woman's face is hideous. Good thing she has such a huge bottom that you don't really notice her face."
I like big butts and I can not lie!

You can do side bends or sit-ups, but please don't lose that butt
Some brothers wanna play that hard role
and tell you that the butt need to go
So they toss it and leave it
And I pull up quick to retrieve it
So Cosmo says you're fat
Well I ain't down with that
Cuz your waste is small and your curves are kickin'
And I'm thinkin' bout stickin'...
Old 02-23-2004, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by artysson
just got an '04 max se. feb1. have 4,000 plus miles. did 1 oil change. thinking of going to syn.oil. any opion?

Why? Stick with regular oil until 60,000 or even 75,000. You would be wasting your money on synthetic that soon. The car doesn't need syn that early.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:22 PM
is invisible

Ok, overall I like the look of the 6th gen Max, esp. SE.
One thing I CANNOT get over is how the inside angle of the rear lights do not match the trunk door's lines. It's these small details that help make a truly beautiful car . You'll notice that the creases and lines of most high-end cars flow....and it doesn't cost anything more to do that.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:20 AM

I like many wasn't impressed when I first saw the 04'. The rear end was awflu looking and the car in general looked like a bubble. Since then it has grown on me a little. I went to test drive one and it was definately a shock, it was a lot different than the 5th gen. but was a little better looking in person. I probably wouldn't buy one, but it isn't as bad as I originally thought.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:53 AM

I jut drove a 6 speed..it rides awsome..Feels bulky in the bends to me. I am not a skilled driver..my altima handles better for me. Ride quality is superb. Fast as hell..Very powerful Tires bust loose 1,2,3rd gears. Definate contender...But the interior seemed a bit cheapish plasticy to me. I would definately got TL or G35....
Old 03-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Everyone is so busy whining about the looks of the new Max, they're forgetting the most important part of the car: the performance:cost ratio. I hated the looks at first, too, but they grew on me enough that I like them. You just have to remember: this car is twice or even three times the car you get for near the cost from the competition. The V6 Camry only outputs about 160 hp handles like a '84 Caddillac (I know, I've driven both) and has worse acceleration than my '95 2.3 liter Ranger. The Max is far superior, for a little bit more cash, and is an even better built car (a lot to say, considering reliability is Toyota's main sales point). And to everyone worried about the TL winning the Maxima's sales: don't. Most Maxima owners will notice the little problems in the TL and recognize the Maxima for what it is: a highly superior--even if uglier--car. And besides, who wants to drive a car with worse torque steer problems than a 2002 Sentra SE-R? The TL's limited slip front diff was poorly executed, and will keep it from taking the number of sales (and devotees) from the Maxima so many of us had feared.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got a great compliment on mine yesterday. I was sitting in a parking lot waiting for a space when a guy tapped on the window and said, "I just wanted to tell you you've got great taste - this is an amazing looking car." He went on to ask questions about power, handling, price, options, etc. until the parking space opened up. I think Nissan got a sale in the 20 seconds I was sitting there.

I see a lot of prior gen Maxima owners criticizing the 6 Gen. Honestly, I wouldn't have been interested in the previous gens. I was looking for decent power and handling while my wife wanted power this, heated that, leather, more room, etc. The larger size of the new Max fit us just right. We had looked at a 5th gen sitting on the lot and she didn't like it. All this talk of the new one being slower??? This car will go as fast as I'm willing to drive on public roads and I doubt I'll be disappointed when I try it out in autocross this summer.

In short, I love my 6 Gen.
By the way - 2004 SE, 6 spd, HLSD, Spirited Bronze/Frost Leather, Driver Preferred Package, Sunroof.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:05 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by MinisterofDOOM
Everyone is so busy whining about the looks of the new Max, they're forgetting the most important part of the car: the performance:cost ratio. I hated the looks at first, too, but they grew on me enough that I like them. You just have to remember: this car is twice or even three times the car you get for near the cost from the competition. The V6 Camry only outputs about 160 hp handles like a '84 Caddillac (I know, I've driven both) and has worse acceleration than my '95 2.3 liter Ranger. The Max is far superior, for a little bit more cash, and is an even better built car (a lot to say, considering reliability is Toyota's main sales point). And to everyone worried about the TL winning the Maxima's sales: don't. Most Maxima owners will notice the little problems in the TL and recognize the Maxima for what it is: a highly superior--even if uglier--car. And besides, who wants to drive a car with worse torque steer problems than a 2002 Sentra SE-R? The TL's limited slip front diff was poorly executed, and will keep it from taking the number of sales (and devotees) from the Maxima so many of us had feared.

The Camry & Maxima appeal to different audiences.
Furthermore, the Camry competes with the Altima, not the Maxima.
It 's the 4-cyl of the Camry makes nearly 160hp.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
The Camry & Maxima appeal to different audiences.
Furthermore, the Camry competes with the Altima, not the Maxima.
It 's the 4-cyl of the Camry makes nearly 160hp.
I feel for Nissan fans.......The Altima competes more with the Max than the camry.

It did for me when I made my choice..Had the 04 Max been availabe at that time..I am not sure...Well hell..I am positive I would not have chosen the Altima.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:44 PM

"04 max is awesome

I recently bought a spirited bronze SE, with tinted windows, and it is loanded. Best car I have ever had, and I have had many. I am 51 years old. Yes, at first I did not like the front end. But as the months wore on, I got used to it. Now, I actually like it. Plus, this is the quietest, fastest car I have ever owned. Smooth. For the money it can't be beat.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:13 PM

Hard to believe majority now think it looks good. Still funny-looking to me. And for what my friends are paying for their 04's, I'd be lookin at something RWD or AWD like the G35 sedan, which even looks just a little better. MSRP is what, high 20's - low 30's? One dude I know chose an 03 max over the 04's he was looking at cause the dealer wanted high 30's and low 40's for the nicely equipped maxes he had on the lot. I was like I'm like man--14K of options? And it don't even look all that tight. Only drawback I see with G35 sedan is less room. It's not the hottest looking either, though.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:02 AM

I didnt like it at first but it grew on me it grew so much I now own one.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Minimalmaxima
Hard to believe majority now think it looks good. Still funny-looking to me. And for what my friends are paying for their 04's, I'd be lookin at something RWD or AWD like the G35 sedan, which even looks just a little better. MSRP is what, high 20's - low 30's? One dude I know chose an 03 max over the 04's he was looking at cause the dealer wanted high 30's and low 40's for the nicely equipped maxes he had on the lot. I was like I'm like man--14K of options? And it don't even look all that tight. Only drawback I see with G35 sedan is less room. It's not the hottest looking either, though.

Low 40's!!!! Put down the peace pipe man, as you are not even on the planet anymore. A Max with every single option can probably be had for $33k (yes, sticker may push $37). $14k in options???? If you have no clue what you are talking about, dont post on here.

A comparably equipped G35 is a good $5k more than a max when you factor in that you can get a Max below invoice, and wont have much room to bargain in a G35.

As far as looks, I dont think photos do the car justice. I liked it when I first got the brochure, but thought it was down right sexy when I saw a black SE on the lot.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by cookpr
Low 40's!!!! Put down the peace pipe man, as you are not even on the planet anymore. A Max with every single option can probably be had for $33k...
Here's what I came up with, $33,970 MSRP for an SL loaded. Who can top that?
http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/Mo...,20360,00.html

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL

Standard Features
• 3.5 Liter V6 Engine with 265 HP and 255 lb-ft of torque
• 5-speed automatic transmission

Driver Preferred Package Incl.
VDC and Full Size Spare with Alloy Wheel $900
Power Glass Sunroof $900
Elite Package $1650
Splashguards Colored 4-piece set $110
Floor Mats/Trunk Mat (5-piece set) $150
XM Satellite Radio $400

Base MSRP $29,300.00
Total Packages, Options, & Accessories $4,110.00
Destination & Handling $560.00

Total Designed MSRP† $33,970.00
Old 03-31-2004, 04:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oh Yeah.....

I was sold on the car after the first time I saw it on the highway. It looked different then most other cars on the road today and that is something that I like a lot about it. We were already considering trading in our 2000 Mitsubishi Galant and after taking it for a test drive, we knew that it was going to be the next car we owned.

Performance is awesome (already smoked a TA and Camero who thought they had one up on me). I went with the SL with the Driver Preferred package, the only thing I didn't opt on was the Nav system because I didn't think that spending the 2g's for it was good when I can spend the same amount and get a touch screen Nav system put in that actually plays dvd movies on it.

I opted to go for the Lease program since Nissan's program is just like buying it.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by jreddington3
"Largeness" is what great about this car. Let me settle this discussion once and for all ATTENTION: ALL FAST and FURIOUS VIN DIESEL WANNABEES! Nissan has deserted you with the new Max! GET OVER IT! I guarantee you won't be seeing the new max in the next Fast and Furious movie and thats perfectly fine with me. I have a 2 year old and I love my Max because its quick, 4 door, and BIG w/a Big-a$$ trunk to carry things like strollers and playpens. WELCOME TO THE NEW BREED MAX OF OWNERS!!!!! What really cracks me up is All the 5th genners talk about their Maxs like their some kind of "Sports CAR" HAHAHAHAHAH..and the G35 is more in line with their cars.... Give me a break. Obviously if performance were the only consideration, noone would be driving MAX's. Come to think of it, I didn't notice any 5th gens in either of the movies either....
Old 04-03-2004, 05:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

G35x worth it... yeah right.

Originally Posted by Minimalmaxima
If the dealer wanted 40's for a MAX then the dealer was ripping people off. I got 04 SE 5speed auto with Drivers prefered, sunroof, et al (no XM, no SAT, no Skid Control) for 28800. Those options would have added 3500to the MSRP but in reality only about 2900 to the invoice. And please, the G35 AWD. The dealers won't go under 35 for one of those right now. So you are paying 6200 for an AWD with effectively same power and less features and far less room. Before I bought my MAX I was looking at the G35x and the Acura TL (all 3 I test drove had a bad vibration in the steering wheel under accelleration esp during a corner.). I am glad I made the right choice.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Blue04SEinIL
"Largeness" is what great about this car. Let me settle this discussion once and for all ATTENTION: ALL FAST and FURIOUS VIN DIESEL WANNABEES! Nissan has deserted you with the new Max! GET OVER IT! I guarantee you won't be seeing the new max in the next Fast and Furious movie and thats perfectly fine with me. I have a 2 year old and I love my Max because its quick, 4 door, and BIG w/a Big-a$$ trunk to carry things like strollers and playpens. WELCOME TO THE NEW BREED MAX OF OWNERS!!!!! What really cracks me up is All the 5th genners talk about their Maxs like their some kind of "Sports CAR" HAHAHAHAHAH..and the G35 is more in line with their cars.... Give me a break. Obviously if performance were the only consideration, noone would be driving MAX's. Come to think of it, I didn't notice any 5th gens in either of the movies either....

Couldn't agree with you more!
Old 04-03-2004, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by DansMax3
Couldn't agree with you more!
I just traded my 03 Max for an 04 Max this morning

Bob
Old 04-03-2004, 12:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BCKNBLCK

Bob
Awesome Congratulations on the upgrade. Update your profile from the 03 to the 04 as well!
Old 04-03-2004, 10:34 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Originally Posted by BCKNBLCK

Bob
Its a sad and dark day in the 5th gen community...
Old 04-09-2004, 08:24 AM

Ya know, i have to say this...

I LOVE NISSAN!!!!!!

**** honda- and there altezza tailights, and Aem intakes..i haev been to Japan and i am telling you know. nissan is god.

****- hyundi or how ever you spell it... 10 year waranty to waranty your **** brick of a car.

**** subaru- so they finally did sumthing right- wrx sti.. nice car... but its getting played out. still a cute* car.. lol whatever

**** acura- glorified honda with more bells and whistles. whoo hooo

**** toyota- geez what a joke, wtf is a Scion? lol look at the toyota car lineup- homos..

**** lexus- ohh wow is300, 215Hp.. wow.... gimem a break, looks like honda..

**** mitsubishi- ohh so they made a lancer pretty.. and called it an evo, big deal..and **** that srt neon too... mitsubishi is a dodge, refer to info below abotu dodge..

**** ford, dodge, pontiac, chevy...- domestics suck, get over it. Hulk-a-mania isnt cool anymore either. sh*t kickin hicks. - nascar is a **** hair away from hill-billy heaven.. who wants to race around in a circle crashing into each other. chew some tobacco..
watch F1 racing. or chekc out drifting in japan.. even rally racing.. anythig nis better than nascar.. try precision racing, and attention to detail.. again **** nascar.. and mustangs..

i can go on and on..
but i want you all to understand.. if you own a NISSAN / INFINITI, respect yourself because you own true racing herritage. datsun, 240SX, 300ZX, 350Z, SE-R SENTRA, SILVIA, SKYLINE, MAXIMA, G35, I30... the list goes on and on and when you read those names, dont they just grab you and scream (zoom zoom zoom) ohh yeh and **** mazda..
NISMO BABY..... NISSAN INTERNATIONAL MOTORSPORTS

ps... wait till JUNE 2004... 2005 ALTIMA SE-R.... off tha wall nasty/ 260+hp ??
Just to let you know, NISMO is going to be offering alot of performance parts for the se-r altima...

just wait..
Old 04-09-2004, 09:08 AM

I had 4 Altimas before this Max and I can honestly say these cars are in my blood. Regular maintenance on the Altys was Easy and I loved it. My neighbour has a Hon-duh and every time he gets a so called dealer check up it costs him $125 plus tax. and it seems to occur frequently.

Now my 04 Max is the finest Ride I have ever had and I owned a Acura and a Volvo or 2 but this is the greatest. I have a buddy with an 03 and that did it, I wanted a Max. I LOVE all Maximas.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by NISMO6thGEN

I LOVE NISSAN!!!!!!

**** honda- and there altezza tailights, and Aem intakes..i haev been to Japan and i am telling you know. nissan is god.

****- hyundi or how ever you spell it... 10 year waranty to waranty your **** brick of a car.

**** subaru- so they finally did sumthing right- wrx sti.. nice car... but its getting played out. still a cute* car.. lol whatever

**** toyota- geez what a joke, wtf is a Scion? lol look at the toyota car lineup- homos..

**** mitsubishi- ohh so they made a lancer pretty.. and called it an evo, big deal..and **** that srt neon too... mitsubishi is a dodge, refer to info below abotu dodge..

**** ford, dodge, pontiac, chevy...- domestics suck, get over it. Hulk-a-mania isnt cool anymore either. sh*t kickin hicks. - nascar is a **** hair away from hill-billy heaven.. who wants to race around in a circle crashing into each other. chew some tobacco..
watch F1 racing. or chekc out drifting in japan.. even rally racing.. anythig nis better than nascar.. try precision racing, and attention to detail.. again **** nascar.. and mustangs..

i can go on and on..
but i want you all to understand.. if you own a NISSAN / INFINITI, respect yourself because you own true racing herritage. datsun, 240SX, 300ZX, 350Z, SE-R SENTRA, SILVIA, SKYLINE, MAXIMA, G35, I30... the list goes on and on and when you read those names, dont they just grab you and scream (zoom zoom zoom) ohh yeh and **** mazda..

Just to let you know, NISMO is going to be offering alot of performance parts for the se-r altima...

just wait..
Dude, you are so freaking loser. Just 2 quick things. The Altima looks like a knock-off Lexus GS and stole the Altezza lights from the IS 300. The 6th gen Maxima is more of a knock-off GS than the Altima.

So by you saying **** Lexus, your just shooting your lame self in the foot.

That is all.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Dude, you are so freaking loser. Just 2 quick things. The Altima looks like a knock-off Lexus GS and stole the Altezza lights from the IS 300. The 6th gen Maxima is more of a knock-off GS than the Altima.

So by you saying **** Lexus, your just shooting your lame self in the foot.

That is all.

All cars are starting to look alike in the sedan market
Old 04-10-2004, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by wild *****
All cars are starting to look alike in the sedan market

Right on Wild *****. Even some Vans, LOL
Old 04-10-2004, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by NISMO6thGEN

I LOVE NISSAN!!!!!!

i can go on and on..

just wait..
Thanks for the very entertaining read. Enjoyed every bit of it!
Old 04-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think it looks okay. Not bad not so good. I still like my 5th gen style more.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:25 AM

To be honest, I think the Gen 6 is about the best looking Max Ever. I have had a gen 4 (95 GLE) and now my 02 SE 6-speed. I am partial to the look of the Gen 3, but the 04 is just beautiful.

Eventhough I love the look of the 04 Max, I feel my next car will be a G.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Love the Look! I find myself sneaking off to the garage to gaze lovingly at her. It's a darned shame. :-)
Old 04-16-2004, 05:58 AM

What`s a shame? The look is modern and forward looking, I`m even getting used to the grill(well not really). I`m thinking Street Scene grill.