6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: How does it look?
Looks good
42.51%
Looks ugly
29.95%
the look will grow on me
24.81%
no comment
2.72%
Voters: 661. You may not vote on this poll

How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 05:32 PM

I wasn't to crazzy about the 5th gen when it came out but now compared to the 6th gen it's down right hot. But what do I know I bought a 3rd gen Altima SE. (6th gen Max wanabe)
Old 01-16-2003, 06:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Actually I see alot of people find th 04 Maxima is a Altima ripoff but if any of you look at the G35 you clearly see the resembles nissan might have been going for. As well you will obviously see that the interior of the 04 Max is somewhat the spitting image of the g35
check it out if you like. http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/I...G35/Photos.htm
This was my opinion. Im certain some of you might agree.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:36 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by 98maxblackwind
nissan is smart, very smart.

Old 01-19-2003, 01:39 PM

i hate the way it looks.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:43 PM

I want to see it live, but I think it may be starting to grow on me. At least it doesn't look like a Camry, Avalon, or Accord.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:47 PM

All I can say...

Old 01-21-2003, 12:35 AM

Has anyone noticed that the headlights, Hood and Mirrors look a lot like the 350Zs...NOT the altimas?
Old 01-23-2003, 05:05 AM

Gross

IMHO they really screwed up with the grille. The rest of the car is has great looks until you come around that front and see the grille. No doubt, they blew it. It looks like a boring senior's car from the 70's. Not agressive, not even sporty, just boring and even ugly. I am on my second Maxima, but I will be hard pressed to convince myself to buy this one. Besides, I have my eye on a Saphire Black 330Xi. That is if I can convince my wife to go along with it. LMAO.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:18 AM

Sorry SprintMax.

You know, as I sit and look at the 6th gen more and more, it really IS growing on me. I mean, you know a car is cool if they can make an orange/rust colored one and you like it!

Imagine that color on any other car (non sports) or any 5th - 1st gen and you'd puke! Somehow on the 6th gen it works.

Make mine:
Elite
Power Moonroof
Orange/rust ext.
Black leather int.
6spd
All the other options
Then tint the windows, drop the front, and I am good to go!
Old 01-23-2003, 09:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would really approve of the 6th gen. if the lights were not so wierd. I mean, they look so far apart. When you see a person in real life with eyes spread really far apart, do they not look wierd? The back of the car looks angled up from what I can see in pictures, i'm a little disturbed about that. I could get used to the lights, but not a perky butt. Whatever, ill wait til i see it in real life, it'll look different. I guess we will see who the die-hard maxima fans are.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:29 AM

Why oh why can't Nissan just ask us?

First I want to start by saying that I have been watching the 6th Gen development fairly closely as I am sure most of us have. When I first saw the spy pics I kept hoping they were fairly far off. I have to say that after looking at all the show pics, spy pics and info that the new Max isn't something I would jump into (unlike my unbridled lust of the 5th gen).

That said and out of the way, I think Nissan, while doing a heck of a lot right in there design and engineering would stand to gain a great deal by listening to those of us that are the enthusieists. I mean some of the the things I really expected to see in a 6th Gen included AWD, a 300+ HP engine and a more elegant interior (as opposed to the flat, metal look of the 350Z where it kinda fits).- especially when taking into consideration the new price point. In this category I would seriously look at a new Acura or even <shudder> Lexus as they seem to have the styling cues down cold.

Despite all this, I am anxious to see one up close and personal. I will continue to be a Max enthusiest but will likely look for a used 2003 if purchasing a new car within the next few years unless somethign can be done about that horrid front end...

Where does the 6th Gen meet or not meet your expectations?
Old 01-24-2003, 10:27 PM

Re: Why oh why can't Nissan just ask us?

Originally posted by maxxximus
First I want to start by saying that I have been watching the 6th Gen development fairly closely as I am sure most of us have. When I first saw the spy pics I kept hoping they were fairly far off. I have to say that after looking at all the show pics, spy pics and info that the new Max isn't something I would jump into (unlike my unbridled lust of the 5th gen).

That said and out of the way, I think Nissan, while doing a heck of a lot right in there design and engineering would stand to gain a great deal by listening to those of us that are the enthusieists. I mean some of the the things I really expected to see in a 6th Gen included AWD, a 300+ HP engine and a more elegant interior (as opposed to the flat, metal look of the 350Z where it kinda fits).- especially when taking into consideration the new price point. In this category I would seriously look at a new Acura or even <shudder> Lexus as they seem to have the styling cues down cold.

Despite all this, I am anxious to see one up close and personal. I will continue to be a Max enthusiest but will likely look for a used 2003 if purchasing a new car within the next few years unless somethign can be done about that horrid front end...

Where does the 6th Gen meet or not meet your expectations?
I'm surprised most of you haven't actually seen the 6 gen Max. I saw it in person a few weeks ago at the LA Auto show. As picky as I am, I can honestly say Nissan, for the most part, has this car right. I am talking styling here. For what this car represents, and for what it has represented in the past, they are right on with this new chapter. This car is still bold looking, and although the rear is not perfect, it looks more solid to me than my 5th gen. And if the interior dash is anything like the Murano, then I think they have this right too, which I think fit better than the tinkery looking Z dash. I agree that that they missed in that this car should have moved to the rear wheel drive category, or AWD and that they should have increased horses much more, but I bet they will, like they did in the mid life of the 5th gen. All of you may not agree here, but I disagree about Lexus having their styling cues down as most are too bubbly and ugly, just like the Toyota line. I'd rather take lessons from BMW or Audi. All in all, I think the 04 Max will sell big time.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I really like it...

It almost makes me want to get one... almost!! I'm impressed w/the originality of the new features and the hp and torque numbers are awesome! I would'nt mind having one of these at all! I bet they even frred up some room in that 3.5l engine bay for "you know what"!!! I was confused about the v-6 vs. v-8 rumors but it seems like Nissan compensated a bit by boosting the HP numbers on the 3.5 yet again! So overall I'm impressed w/the showing... We'll see how they look on the street!

Deac
Old 01-27-2003, 03:40 PM

I like everything except this UGLY front grill. Who's bright idea was that?

More pics here:

04 Maxima
Old 01-27-2003, 03:48 PM
living out of a maxima...

Re: Why oh why can't Nissan just ask us?

Originally posted by maxxximus
That said and out of the way, I think Nissan...would stand to gain a great deal by listening to those of us that are the enthusieists. I mean some of the the things I really expected to see in a 6th Gen included AWD, a 300+ HP engine and a more elegant interior ...
I think on the .org, at least for 4th gens, the ratio of people with auto vs. manua is pretty close. Compare this to the ratio of autos produced to manuals produced, which is about 19:1. What does this tell you?

Basically we are not representative of the market. While we know and like our 4DSCs for speed, styling, etc, Nissan is selling the vast majority of cars to mid-age/older community that fill it with regular and change their oil when they remember. For every Maxima owner that even knows what a y-pipe is, there are 100 others that have absolutely no clue. Those 100 others are who Nissan tries to sell their cars to.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:15 AM
jreddington

Every generation since my '92 SE seems to have gotten uglier and uglier. I started thinking about finally replacing my current steed but new about the upcoming '04 and thought I'd wait and see what Nissan came up with. Wasn't very hopeful based on my comparison of the new 350Z with my old '70 240 Z. They couldn't make the new generation even uglier than before could they? Wrong. Where did they come up with that stupid idea of a mailslot fore and aft running moonroof. I hate it when designers do stuff like that just to be different. Doesn't matter whether it looks good or not so long as it's "new and fresh".

Made a run down to my local Mazda dealer to try out the new Mazda 6. Now that car with a manual and V6 inherits the spirit of my '92. Unless I can find a "brand-new" (extra low mileage, great condition) 3rd generation Maxima looks like I may be outta here. As a bonus I may wait until the rumoured hatchback shows up in the fall, if it looks anywhere as good as the ones on the Mazda European websites.

Still, when I get back into my SE after test driving any new cars I wonder why I'm looking. Even at 11 years, and 115k miles, and original shocks, my car seems to handle and perform in the same leauge as a new car. Why am I looking at $25-30 k when my pride and joy fits me like a glove. Maybe I'll keep my eye out for that "new" '92 and pack it away in a barn until the day my Maxima finally packs it in.

Jim

Old 01-29-2003, 03:25 PM

Sad

First they lost the IRL. Then they make the Maxima bigger and bigger and bigger. That new Maxima looks like the Saturn ION. That is one hella ugly car.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Re: Sad

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
First they lost the IRL. Then they make the Maxima bigger and bigger and bigger. That new Maxima looks like the Saturn ION. That is one hella ugly car.
it looks like a GS too
Old 01-29-2003, 04:22 PM

it looks like a GS too
Naw, your good. It has the same profile as the GS from the side with the curved roofline and C-pillar. Hell the Altima stole that first. The VW Passat started that trend I think, what year did that car come out? But from the front and rear, it looks nothing like a GS.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:05 PM

Re: Re: Sad

Originally posted by SprintMax

it looks like a GS too
Old 01-30-2003, 02:45 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

Naw, your good. It has the same profile as the GS from the side with the curved roofline and C-pillar. Hell the Altima stole that first. The VW Passat started that trend I think, what year did that car come out? But from the front and rear, it looks nothing like a GS.
are u sure?

Old 01-30-2003, 07:31 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

people have gotten to use to the 5th gen max.

change, in this case, is good.

in the automotive world you play to win or dont play at all.

sometimes you have to gamble with a design

three cheers to nissan from me.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Sad

Originally posted by jbgoodmax
I forgot to type something last time.

Ditto.

It looks like a GS, and a lot like the old GS.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:32 PM

Look at that roofline and short deck. Very similar. The C-pillar is sharp on the Max but you get the idea. Hell I think "Money" magazine said the Altima looks like a Lexus without the Lexus price.

BTW, the gauges have 3 dials and that is all in common. The Optitron gauges in the GS are ONLY in the GS, no other car. They adjust automatically to sunlight.

Are the new Max gauges the same as the Altimas?
Old 02-05-2003, 05:12 AM

It's all about the lines. Flat is good if you ask me, and the new rounded roof and triangular curved headlights look bad. It's like some designer trying to be different when nobody wanted it to be different in the first place.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:41 PM

The look might not be there.

But i think most are missing the point. 265 horse and 255 torque. Not to mention all the options it comes with. That mohawk sunroof (have no idea wut to call it) nice interior and 5 spd trannie (for us too lazy to shift manually) for the first time, all independant suspension option.

The unique 4 seat package, DVD, xenon lamps and such.

For a car that starts around 28 grr and probably ends up at 35 from what most people (dealers) keep telling me, i think that is 1 hell of a deal.

Only problem is..why would anyone get a maxima when a g35 can be had for the same price. (only bad part of the g35 is that it's RWD, and the maxima company makes crappy [non durable] rwd. compared to their FWD)

I read some where previously.. g35 coming with AWD? or was it MAX coming with it? i missed it and cant seem to find it now..some one tell me?
Old 02-12-2003, 01:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I kinda agree with theSack. I was not feeling the 5th gen until it got the extra ponies. Horsepower has a way of making a car look better. Like biguns on a buck toothed chick.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:12 AM

the part that ****es me off about nissan is that they are in someway killing their gems, the Z and the Skyline were two different cars that were complete legends on their own right, now you take both of those cars mix them together then base the rest of your fleet behind them, thats just killing the legends, we got all happy when nissan said that they were going to bring the Skyline to the US, but instead of bringing us the car we wanted they just brought us the name, now they gonna have the 350Z, the G35 Coupe and the Skyline GT-R, they are all the same car!!

i love my maxima, there was a reason why i bought it, i like the 5th gen, but looking at the 6th gen, i'm thinking when the time comes and i have enough money, i'm just gonna import a frickin R33, bringing in new models is a good thing, but sacrificing old friends for new customers is not.

it was a little more than 2 cents but oh well, i'm venting
Old 02-18-2003, 08:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The works of a "g" nious.

Originally posted by JMax2K
Im just sick of everyone saying it looks like an Altima. If they would have released the new Maxima before the Altima, then everyone would say, EW, the new Altima looks like the new Maxima.

Most all car brands, like to have an identity, they just dont release them all at once, they cant. Look at Mercedes, they all look like each other somewhat, just different sizes with minor detail differences. Imagine this, they all look like Mercedes!

So, my opinion on the 2004 Maxima, most all cars look wierd when they first come out because no one is used to it. But hey, wow! It looks like a Nissan! Wierd huh!?

Very good statement Jmax2k. You seem to have alot of commen sense which most people unfortunately lack. The same goes for Accords front grille. They all seem alike regarless of price and size. That goes for their interior too. Most of their buttons and dashes fit in all of their vehicles. Even if you pay $15,000 more for an Accord you have to settle for a civic front end and interior. But then again JMax2k you probably already knew this.

I think it was a great pitch to put the New Altima out first before the New Maxima. At first glance the new Maxima does resemble the Altima. But when you get the chance to sit inside the Maxima and feel what all of us Maxnatics pride about, you'll defenitely appreciate it more. Now that we have all the attention on Nissan the new Maxima comes out! We have a bigger crowd coming to look at the Altima and when they do they will find themselves with it's big brother. Beleave me the choice will be in their hearts. All of us Maxima guys and gals will stand proud and see a whole new movement of shoppers old and new come expirience what we have been for the past 23 years.

Altima is very impressive and has captured the attention of many people that didn't even considered Nissan cars. Now alot of them have trade in there Accords and Camrys for these new fresh and elegant design. I don't think the New Maxima was designed to please the multitudes, but those individuals that like to stand out from the crowd. I beleave Altima has got there attention alright but Maxima will take their breath.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:59 PM

I know that stock its so so. But just like my 200sx and my 5th gen max they were pretty ugly untill I put my touch on it.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:17 PM
wat

Dont worry people, im sure there will be aftermarket grills available right away, you can always change a car's looks
Old 02-25-2003, 11:56 PM

ugh?

Why cant they just make or offer an option to put on a body kit =X i so dont wanna go through ricing out a car again =X

i dont care, u really cant tell what your car looks like from the inside, ... But what u can FEEL is the 265 horse while u pass by a honda or any american v6 car and u point and laugh. or the plush interior and the cool paranamic ... umm that long sun roof thing... and enjoy the sun. while u watch a dvd . GO MAXIMA~!!!!!... although the fx45 is looking might nice now a days. =X
Old 03-03-2003, 05:37 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Don't really care for it particularly. No Maxima will ever look as good as my year model(SE)...another reason I won't get rid of it.

Old 03-07-2003, 04:54 PM

My opinion on the 04 Maxima...well right now it looks like a new Altima on Steroids .... but i'm 90% sure the look will grown on me like the 5th gen. Its just my opinion
Old 03-09-2003, 02:45 PM

I just came from Autotech Nissan in Manhattan here in NYC.. The 2004 looks real good from the back and the interior looks real nice..you have a sunroof option too.. but the front.. geez...GEEZ.... I hope Stillen and a couple other body kit companies come out with kits... I still which they left the aluminum gauge feature for the SE though.. maybe they'll bring it back for a special edition..
Old 03-10-2003, 05:04 AM

I know what you are saying. But it is too bad a car's look has to "grow" on you. Some cars it is just there from the beginning.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by ISUConE
I know what you are saying. But it is too bad a car's look has to "grow" on you. Some cars it is just there from the beginning.
Like the mazda 6
Old 03-10-2003, 04:09 PM

Yes... I have been eyeballin that car... I think that's what the Max should have looked like...to be honest.. the 2004 Max might have more power BUT it also has gained some weight which makes it lose the sporty feel and agility.. now it is a luxury sedan.. sorry to say it like that.. I would rather buy the Murano and hang up my racing shoes..
Old 03-10-2003, 06:22 PM

bleh?

I would have to disagree.. although the car might have gained 300 lbs or something of that nature.. you are forgetting the suspension upgrade they come with now.. rear is fully independant instead of that lame bar they used in the previous models..Which will improve the ride and get you mad handles especially wiht the new 18 inchers available.

and the VQ engine is totally fresh... cant wait to test drive the sucker..
Old 03-10-2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by DaBoxSE

Like the mazda 6

Exactly. But, no matter how freakin ugly a car is, people will still like it. I guess if all the people that I have seen with aztecks around my locale were willing to buy them ugly thangs, people will buy anything. But this is good for me so that Nissan will still be around when I'm ready to buy a new one. Maybe by then they will look good again. It's all about the 97-99 max as far as looks anyway. 02 03 are alright till you look at the behind. BTW, anybody know anything about an alty look survey? Who thinks that looks good? Has that grown on you? I still hate it. But I wish I could get a 3.5 in my 97.

Quick Reply: How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima