6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Having G6 Sticker Shock? - Maybe Not...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 07:16 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Having G6 Sticker Shock? - Maybe Not...

I know you guys are all sorta getting sticker shock on the leaked $28-34k MSRP for the new Maxima, but I realized something yesterday. Despite the higher prices, you are getting A LOT more car at the top-end, which you probably won't even be opting for.

I'll bet this "Elite" package that you can get now (which very few will probably opt for) adds a good $1-2k to the MSRP alone, which is most of the difference at the top end of the pricing. At the low-end, the "base" 3.5SE (28k MSRP, not official yet) still has a lot of standard equipment that a base 5th Gen SE doesn't have standard - it's all optional.

If you equip a 2003 Maxima SE with the same options that the 2004 Maxima SE comes with standard (including automagic), you arrive at about the same $28k MSRP for the 2003 Maxima as for the 2004 Maxima!

So all in all, there doesn't seem to be any significant changes in pricing for the new Maxima when comparing similarly equipped models. There's maybe a $500-1000 increase at most, depending on how exactly you're comparing. But one thing is clear, you simply cannot compare a $26k 2003 SE with nothing to a $28k 2004 SE which is well-equipped already, because the equipment levels are totally different. Also, 2003's are deeply discounted right now so that might be altering your perspective as well.

Now consider that Maxima's hardly ever go anywhere even close to MSRP (especially when butting heads against the G35) and I think the new Maxima is going to be just as affordable as before.

Of course, this is before official pricing is even out, so we'll see. But I think there is less to worry about than originally thought nonetheless.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:36 AM

Fully Loaded 2002/2003: $32.3k MSRP
Fully Loaded 2004 w/o eLiTe: I bet $32-33k MSRP
Fully Loaded 2004 w/ eLiTe: $34k MSRP
Old 02-11-2003, 10:22 AM

You may be right.

I haven't priced out a 2003, but they are selling for invoice or less, and Nissan is using incentives to move them (has been for a while, now). In the beginning dealers will hold out and try to sell 2004's for close to list. But, this car will not be hot. It will quickly get a reputation for being a gussied-up Altima (a new phenomenon, BTW). Also it will suffer the Avalon and TL syndrome. What's that you ask?

The Camry and Accord arrive first, then a couple of years later, their upscale siblings arrive on the same new (now 2 year old) platform. So when the next Camry and Accord arrive on a new, improved and stiffer chassis, the Avalon and TL stick with the old one until their 4 or 5 year cycle is over. They are always using old technology. Since the 2002 Altima, the Maxima has been and will continue to be a step behind it's sister car.

According to Nissan at the NADA meeting, the Altima will get an all new interior in 2004... fully upgraded and improved to quell the criticism of those who see how cheap it is. But, the new Maxima was already in the pipeline, and it's cheap interior will carry on for at least a couple of years before it's upgraded. Same with exterior upgrades. Meanwhile the cheaper Altima is receiving the new stuff first, not the Maxima. I thought the flagship was supposed to be the trendsetter and NOT just the follower. Think about it, in 2006 the Altima will be redesigned and fresher. The Maxima will only be in it's 2nd year and just getting some minor tweaks. Back in the 80's and 90's, the Maxima was always a distinct car, and even when the Stanza or Altima would be all new, it could never be said that they offered more for less money than the flagship. They never surpassed the Maxima in the customer's eyes.

I mention all this because this will force Nissan to continue to discount Maximas heavily in the future, because the Altima will always have a leg up in freshness over the Maxima. Then how do you sell a car that costs alot more than it's sibling, but is an older design? INCENTIVES! That reduces resale values exponentially and previous owners continue to suffer. It's a vicious cycle. This could have all been avoided.

My opinion...Nissan should have gone to RWD/AWD from a stretched G35 platform (the Max USED to be RWD, you know) and this way no matter when the Altima was improved, it could NEVER be better than the flagship. There would be no comparisons. They would be two totally different animals.
It only makes sense.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Zog

Re: You may be right.

Originally posted by sammax89
I haven't priced out a 2003, but they are selling for invoice or less, and Nissan is using incentives to move them (has been for a while, now). In the beginning dealers will hold out and try to sell 2004's for close to list. But, this car will not be hot. It will quickly get a reputation for being a gussied-up Altima (a new phenomenon, BTW). Also it will suffer the Avalon and TL syndrome. What's that you ask?

The Camry and Accord arrive first, then a couple of years later, their upscale siblings arrive on the same new (now 2 year old) platform. So when the next Camry and Accord arrive on a new, improved and stiffer chassis, the Avalon and TL stick with the old one until their 4 or 5 year cycle is over. They are always using old technology. Since the 2002 Altima, the Maxima has been and will continue to be a step behind it's sister car.

According to Nissan at the NADA meeting, the Altima will get an all new interior in 2004... fully upgraded and improved to quell the criticism of those who see how cheap it is. But, the new Maxima was already in the pipeline, and it's cheap interior will carry on for at least a couple of years before it's upgraded. Same with exterior upgrades. Meanwhile the cheaper Altima is receiving the new stuff first, not the Maxima. I thought the flagship was supposed to be the trendsetter and NOT just the follower. Think about it, in 2006 the Altima will be redesigned and fresher. The Maxima will only be in it's 2nd year and just getting some minor tweaks. Back in the 80's and 90's, the Maxima was always a distinct car, and even when the Stanza or Altima would be all new, it could never be said that they offered more for less money than the flagship. They never surpassed the Maxima in the customer's eyes.

I mention all this because this will force Nissan to continue to discount Maximas heavily in the future, because the Altima will always have a leg up in freshness over the Maxima. Then how do you sell a car that costs alot more than it's sibling, but is an older design? INCENTIVES! That reduces resale values exponentially and previous owners continue to suffer. It's a vicious cycle. This could have all been avoided.

My opinion...Nissan should have gone to RWD/AWD from a stretched G35 platform (the Max USED to be RWD, you know) and this way no matter when the Altima was improved, it could NEVER be better than the flagship. There would be no comparisons. They would be two totally different animals.
It only makes sense.
It really bugs me how they made the 04 Max look so much like the altima. What's the point Oh well i'm glad i got in my 2nd maxima before they made it the red-headed stepchild of the bunch.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:10 AM

Re: You may be right.

According to Nissan at the NADA meeting, the Altima will get an all new interior in 2004... fully upgraded and improved to quell the criticism of those who see how cheap it is.
Really!? :-O

Well that's good news. The one thing that kept me out of that car when buying a car last year was the cheesy interior. As much as I loved the power, I couldn't bear paying that much just to get a playskool interior, so I went with a 99 Max instead. Hmmm....an Alty with a massively upgraded interior would be sweet. May put it back in the running for me.

All I know is that I gotta have VQ power

But, the new Maxima was already in the pipeline, and it's cheap interior will carry on for at least a couple of years before it's upgraded.
The new Maxima has a cheap interior?

Same with exterior upgrades. Meanwhile the cheaper Altima is receiving the new stuff first, not the Maxima. I thought the flagship was supposed to be the trendsetter and NOT just the follower.
Good point, but I think it's sorta a moot point. Whenever you have cars that are all based off of each other, you're always going to have some overlap here and there with the different upgrade schedules. It's nothing new.

The general market will determine the respective values of each car. It's no surprise that a TL-S is an upgraded Accord, but people still pay more for it because it *is* a nicer car. Same thing with the Maxima and Altima. If Nissan makes the mistake of keeping the Altima too close to the Maxima then that's their mistake and Maxima prices will suffer. The body lines are similar between the Max/Alty, but it's the same on the Accord/TL.

I think the Maxima is distinguishing enough that it'll be pretty easy to pickout from an Altima
Old 02-11-2003, 11:20 AM

Re: Re: You may be right.

Originally posted by zoggfatha
:werd : It really bugs me how they made the 04 Max look so much like the altima. What's the point :gotme : Oh well i'm glad i got in my 2nd maxima before they made it the red-headed stepchild of the bunch.
What's the point?

I'm pretty sure that the Infiniti I35 (Maxima clone) is going so that allows the Maxima to move more upmarket without the overlap there was before. True that Nissan has a crowded product lineup in these price ranges, but I think the Maxima still has a place.

You can't get NAV on the Altima.
You can't get cornering lights on the Altima.
6MT vs 5MT
5AT vs 4AT
18" rims vs 17"

You could make a pretty good list...

Toyota has the Avalon (upgraded Camry)
Nissan has the Maxima (upgraded Altima)
Honda has the ( )

I wish Honda would build a more upscale car than the Accord, but they're more "brand-focused" and are very **** about their Honda's not treading on the heels of their Acura's. Nissan isn't **** like this, but then again they don't make you pay much more to get more like Honda does with Acura
Old 02-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: Re: You may be right.

Originally posted by SteVTEC
What's the point?

I'm pretty sure that the Infiniti I35 (Maxima clone) is going so that allows the Maxima to move more upmarket without the overlap there was before. True that Nissan has a crowded product lineup in these price ranges, but I think the Maxima still has a place.

You can't get NAV on the Altima.
You can't get cornering lights on the Altima.
6MT vs 5MT
5AT vs 4AT
18" rims vs 17"

You could make a pretty good list...

Truth is, Nissan doesn't need the Maxima anymore and why they are bothering with one is unknown to me.

All you list above can be easily thrown on the Altima, with the NAV system being the only thing requiring a significant re-tooling of parts (and even that is questionable).

My R&D money would go into building a QUALITY Altima, as it's clear the interior and build quality were WAY down on the list of priorities for the new Altima.

For my 32+k, give me a RWD G35 and a 4yr/60k warranty and actual dealer service by Infiniti.

I think the 6th gen is an embarrassment to the history of Maximas.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: You may be right.

Originally posted by bill99gxe
I think the 6th gen is an embarrassment to the history of Maximas.
But Bill, you think nearly every Maxima from 1995 up is an embarrassment to the history of Maxima's

Do you already consider the 04 a Minima?

I am still very pleased with my 99 Minima
Old 02-11-2003, 12:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: You may be right.

also....

For my 32+k, give me a RWD G35 and a 4yr/60k warranty and actual dealer service by Infiniti.
You'll actually pay $32k for a $32k Infinti.
I bet you'll still be well below the $30k mark on a $32k Maxima, though.

But what you say is true. There is no real need for the Maxima anymore with your point of view. Maybe they ought to revert the Maxima back to just a trim-level of another car - the Altima

It started as a trim-level, so maybe it ought to die as a trim-level, too?
Old 02-11-2003, 12:06 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You may be right.

But Bill, you think nearly every Maxima from 1995 up is an embarrassment to the history of Maxima's

Do you already consider the 04 a Minima?

I am still very pleased with my 99 Minima

I think the 4th gen was embarrassing, but the VQ introduction was its "innovative" introduction, so the 4th gens are given a pass.

The 5th gen and ups I consider an embarrassment, as it was Nissan trying to re-kindle the 3rd gen "stigma" and falling flat on its face.

So it's not until 2000 that I consider Maximas a joke and a slap in the face to its history. The 6th gen does nothing but further augment and solidify my contentions. Except for a weirdass sunroof, there isn't anything at all unique or new.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You may be right.

I think the 4th gen was embarrassing, but the VQ introduction was its "innovative" introduction, so the 4th gens are given a pass.

The 5th gen and ups I consider an embarrassment, as it was Nissan trying to re-kindle the 3rd gen "stigma" and falling flat on its face.
Maybe the 00-01's, but I think the 02-03's are redemption. The 02 Maxima was one of the first to offer NAV, and it also has class-leading power among other things. An entry-luxury car without the badge and without the price, but also without the service

So it's not until 2000 that I consider Maximas a joke and a slap in the face to its history. The 6th gen does nothing but further augment and solidify my contentions. Except for a weirdass sunroof, there isn't anything at all unique or new.
Innovation has a price, and the price is very high. Honda used to introduce all of their new technologies on the Prelude, but the car was discontinued because the price was too high and it could no longer compete.

I think you just can't get over your 3rd gen :-D. If Maxima's had continued on the evolutionary/innovative path since the 3rd Gen's, the Gen6's would be sprouting wings and flying by now

But innovation in Japanese vehicles has gone the same direction as Japan's economy since their bubble burst. The late-80's/early-90's wee some real happening times for Japanese cars, but all good things come to an end. I think slow and steady improvements are the name of the game now, and in that respect, I don't see the Gen6 as a "failure".
Old 02-11-2003, 12:47 PM

How about just discontinuing the Maxima and making the Altima (with its upgraded interior) the flagship of Nissan?!?
Old 02-11-2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by F23A4
How about just discontinuing the Maxima and making the Altima (with its upgraded interior) the flagship of Nissan?!?
I like this idea:

Altima 2.5
Altima 2.5S
Altima 2.5SL
Altima 3.5SE
Altima 3.5 Maxima

That would confuse the crap out of consumers though

It makes sense, but I think Nissan has too many loyal Maxima buyers that they're looking out for to demote it back to just a trim level of another car - how it started out.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You may be right.

Maybe the 00-01's, but I think the 02-03's are redemption. The 02 Maxima was one of the first to offer NAV, and it also has class-leading power among other things. An entry-luxury car without the badge and without the price, but also without the service

Innovation has a price, and the price is very high. Honda used to introduce all of their new technologies on the Prelude, but the car was discontinued because the price was too high and it could no longer compete.

I think you just can't get over your 3rd gen :-D. If Maxima's had continued on the evolutionary/innovative path since the 3rd Gen's, the Gen6's would be sprouting wings and flying by now

But innovation in Japanese vehicles has gone the same direction as Japan's economy since their bubble burst. The late-80's/early-90's wee some real happening times for Japanese cars, but all good things come to an end. I think slow and steady improvements are the name of the game now, and in that respect, I don't see the Gen6 as a "failure".
I agree with you especially on the fact about the 02/03 which I agree upon alot. I like the 97-99, dont care for the 00-01, but the 02-03's are great.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:47 PM

[B]
Altima 3.5 Maxima

Is that anything like the 1993 Nissan Stanza Altima??
Old 02-12-2003, 11:47 PM

Exactly!! Enough is enough is enough.

I hope Nissan doesn't disgrace the 4DSC symbol of the 3rd gens by putting it on the 6th gen. The only thing I find valuable in the 6th gen is the VQ 3.5 and IRS but the rest of the car is a big blah. Push the 04 over and let the 02 Altimas do the job.

AWD Infiniti looks very promising. Can we say Skyline in the Infiniti family?!
Old 02-13-2003, 07:18 AM

I honestly have the feeling that Nissan is aiming the 6G Maxima at the above-40 crowd. So I think the opinion of a 30-something like me wouldn't matter much to Nissan, regarding the Maxima.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:02 PM

I honestly have the feeling that Nissan is aiming the 6G Maxima at the above-40 crowd. So I think the opinion of a 30-something like me wouldn't matter much to Nissan, regarding the Maxima.
Very good point. Nissan has always targeted the Maxima to a middle aged person 45 or so. Instead all the young kids bought the Maxima and they have done very well with it in terms of modifications and making it to what it is now. Popular. As for the 6th gen, Nissan made sure there was no way the young ones would buy into it. Atleast the majority.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Nismo
Very good point. Nissan has always targeted the Maxima to a middle aged person 45 or so. Instead all the young kids bought the Maxima and they have done very well with it in terms of modifications and making it to what it is now. Popular.
I disagree. As far as "the scene" goes the Maxima is still just a tiny spec at the corner of the map. There are zillions of fixed up Honda Accord's compared to fixed up Maxima's. Even the Accord is a small spec compared to Civic's, Integra's, etc.

As for the 6th gen, Nissan made sure there was no way the young ones would buy into it. Atleast the majority.
The eLiTe package is clearly marketed to the 40/50+ people with kids out of the house, but very few Max's will likely ship with that. I'm a "young professional" (25) and I could see myself buying a 6th Gen. Of course, I'm a really big guy, so I like to have room for myself and space for others too when we all go out to lunch here at work

In your view, what kind of cars do you think are popular with the "young ones"?
Old 02-13-2003, 03:18 PM

If I can answer that:

- Acura TSX (will be)
- Accord Coupe
- Altima V6
- Passat V6/1.8T
- IS300
- Acura TL
- BMW 3 series
- Infiniti G35 coupe/sedan
just to name a few

NOTE: I'm defining younger people as those between the ages of 25-35, not those under 25 (i.e.: the Civic/RSX/Celica crowd)
Old 02-13-2003, 04:32 PM

Sorry but F23A4 named them all. I'm in Cali so Benzes, Audis, BMWs are very popular out here. And ofcourse, lots of sun equals lots of convertibles.

I can't see how the 6th gen Max will comepete with Civics, Integras, CLs, BMWs, Audis, G35s etc.? It's like paying baseball with a Volleyball.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:18 AM

I can't see how the 6th gen Max will comepete with Civics, Integras
It will compete with these cars the same way it compete with them now. Used Maxima vs new Civic/Teg.

, CLs,
CL = 2-door. Maxima = 4-door. Different market segments and don't directly compete. Consider the TL-S the Max's direct competitor, which still isn't even available with a manual tranny and is also FWD.

BMWs, Audis
You're not touching anything more than 225HP from either of these two manufacturers for less than $35k. The Maxima gives you more room and equal or better performance for THOUSANDS less, just like they do now.

G35s etc.?
The G35 is a cheaper 3-series. If that appeals to you and it's still big enough then go for it. Nobody is gonna call you a trader if you get a G35

It's like paying baseball with a Volleyball.
As one magazine put it, the Maxima has "grown up". If you don't like that or are just not ready to grow up yet too, then buy something else. That's why they make all sorts of different cars. Because everybody has different needs. There's nothing that says you *have* to buy another Maxima
Old 02-14-2003, 11:10 AM

I guess you're impressed by the 6th gen cause it has more room?
Old 02-15-2003, 05:11 AM

I guess you're impressed by the 6th gen cause it has more room?
No. I'm impressed because you still get a lot of car with a lot of features, and a lot of performance for still not a lot of money.

My dream car/sedan is a BMW 540i/M5 6spd. But since those cost nearly DOUBLE, and the M5 is just a pipe dream at this point, a Maxima for half the price will do just fine
Old 02-15-2003, 06:49 PM

My dream car/sedan is a BMW 540i/M5 6spd. But since those cost nearly DOUBLE, and the M5 is just a pipe dream at this point, a Maxima for half the price will do just fine
I'm thinking about moving up to a 540i or GS400/GS430 when the Max lease is up. The M5 is something I'd definitely get once I win the Mega-Millions lottery.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not that anyone cares . . .

Nissan would be crazy to get rid of the Maxima name - it is a well established trade name that has a VERY GOOD impression associated with it. The altima, on the other hand. . . . (you know what I mean).

As for the 2k/2k1s being an embarassment - that's just plain silly. I own a 4th gen and a 5th gen. I feel the 5th has a better interior and is more ergonomic (both have Bose and leather). The styling cues both leave a lot to be desired - but the more aggressive profile of the 5th gen (for me) makes up for the front (which I dislike the most) and the rear (which has grown on me). As a whole, I can't say that I dislike the styling of the 5th any more than the 4th.

I would own either right now but if looking for a used Maxima as a daily driver I would buy the 5th gen - even though I can do most maintenance on both myself.

The cars both excel at their niche - mid-level sedan with more power than the competition for less money and an available 5spd. Like the looks or not - they also are not so boring as the accord and the camry.

I think the Maxima is being positioned upstream - but not certain that my (or my wife's) next car will be the new Maxima.