6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

A review after two weeks with my new 04

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 06:12 PM

A review after two weeks with my new 04

Pics of My Car

I am now two weeks into owning a 04 Black Maxima with the elite package. My overall review is positive. I absolutely love the car. The more I drive it, the more it grows on me. I traded in a 2001 Fully loaded Black Maxima and I loved that car as well. This car is definitely a huge departure form the 5th generation.

Drivability/Ride:
The care feels completely different from my 01. It handles the curves much better but also has a stiffer ride. The 18inch wheels are obviously responsible for that. I have not taken the car to its limits yet, but the twisty roads in my neighborhood are fun the drive.
It can definitely take the turns fast then my 01 every could. Im sure the SL with the 17inch wheels has a softer ride.

The overall road noise is also quieter. I hardly hear any wind noise. I feel like as if Iam behind the wheel of a luxury automobile. The 2001 was fun and great to drive also, but it didn’t have that luxury car feeling like this 04 does.

Engine/Tranmission:

The engine is quieter and smoother. The car has lots of torque and smooth acceleration throughout the power band. I never feel as if I am lacking pickup. The engine seems as if it’s exerting less effort than my 01. The 5 speed transmission is a welcome improvement. It shifts smoothly and has more power under the foot at all speeds. I find it downshift less when I hit the peddle then my 01 did. The manual option is definitely fun. While there is defiantly some lag it’s still very responsive. When in the mood, its nice to know the option is there

Complaints:

I have a frost interior and I am not sure if I like the suede like cloth and the door. I think I would prefer leather, although I am getting used to it. I just think it is going to be harder to keep clean. The instruction manuals are terribly written and hard to follow.

There is a creaking noise coming form the rear deck. It sounds like something inside was not tightened all the way, I think the rear shade. Unfortunately, its hard to get to. It looks like the rear deck will have to be taken apart to get to the source of the noise. Its going back to the dealer for the second time tomorrow.

Conclusion:

Overall I love the car and I am happy with my purchase. I feel as if I stepped into an entirely different class of automobile compared to the 01. I love its looks and disagree with all the critics that have yet to see or drive one. Of course I have some bias since I own the car. I overpaid to be the first on the block to have one, but that was my choice. I could have waited and gotten the vehicle below sticker. Again the luxurious feel, fresh cotemporary styling and the feeling of quality are the reasons I bought it.

Pics of My Car
Old 03-30-2003, 08:28 PM

I definately agree with you about the feeling of luxury the car gives, beyond that of the 5th gens. However they styling of the car in my opinion (and I love the car, don't get me wrong) is a step backwards for most Maxima enthusiasts, in that it doesn't represent what the Maxima stands for. I don't feel as though the car has a more agressive stance, it's bigger and looks more robust, which does not inspire performance sedan as much as it inspires "buick land yacht" sentiments. I'll be honest and say taht while I know the car handles well and does have performance (and I think the 18 inch wheels are beautiful) the car looks lankey. Maybe if lowered, it would solve the problem.

My best friend is getting the same one you have, and I know the first thing we're doing is taking out the grille and changing it with whatever we can until someone comes out with something decent.
I have a feeling most aftermarket companies will be jumping on the opportunities of grille designs, casue that'll be the most sought after aftermarket part for the car I think.

I love the interior of the car, and the rear bucket seats are totally incredible.

The car is a great car, but I think it's not what most Maxima enthusiasts are looking for, and not what most expect from the Maxima nameplate.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:08 PM

I love the interior of the car, and the rear bucket seats are totally incredible.

The car is a great car, but I think it's not what most Maxima enthusiasts are looking for, and not what most expect from the Maxima nameplate. [/B][/QUOTE]

I respect your opinion, even though I disagree. Its hard for a company to please everyone when making such a radical change. We are being eased into a new breed of car. The new max, in my opinioon is what the sports sedans in the world are going to evolve to.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:17 AM

True...

Originally posted by 2004BlackMax ...Its hard for a company to please everyone when making such a radical change. We are being eased into a new breed of car. The new max, in my opinioon is what the sports sedans in the world are going to evolve to.
Well said!! I agree.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:08 AM

I love the look of the car, and with some mods I think it could be extremely sporty. My comment was just what I interpret the general opinion to be. It's not my opinion per se, hell, I convinced my best friend to switch off a G35 which he really had his heart set on and buy the 04 Max.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by THill5thGen
I love the look of the car, and with some mods I think it could be extremely sporty. My comment was just what I interpret the general opinion to be. It's not my opinion per se, hell, I convinced my best friend to switch off a G35 which he really had his heart set on and buy the 04 Max.
The more i drive it, the more I love. It really is an awesome ride
Old 03-31-2003, 05:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The more I see it (live) the more the look grows on me. I still am STRONGLY disgusted by the grill though. Especially when the all-new Quest comes out with the same grill, it almost drags the "luxury" image out the window. The grill is neither sporty nor classy. I honestly can think of 1 or two cars today that have a more homely grill. The rear is well done... better than any maxima to date.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:38 PM

just wait until you ses the front of the 2004 sentra....
Old 04-03-2003, 07:53 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I wish I could put your interior in my exterior...
Old 04-03-2003, 09:14 PM

Blackmax did a great job summarizing the attributes of the new max. We are nearing two weeks in our bronze SL with elite and sunroof and I echo every comment except for the noise he's having. My early problem was a sunroof that didn't sit well but that was quickly taken care of. Car is quieter than the Lexus LS 400 (1993 model) that preceded it. The SL is absolutely a luxury ride, and I have a tiny nagging that makes me wonder if I should have gotten an SE, but I've got my 02 6sp for that, right? Don't misinterpret...the car handles wonderfully, but I know the SE would be even better because that's what it is for. But I love the interior trim on the SL and really intend this car to be a long-distance cruiser when necessary and the 17"'s will deliver a smoother ride that much is true.

My only "complaint" if you can call it that is trying to find the right seating position. Because it is my wife's daily driver and not mine, I'm not in it enough yet to get acclimated and make the transition from my 02. I can get comfortable...no problem, but just haven't found the "sweet spot" yet, if you get what I mean.

And we are getting some stares and very flattering remarks in this car. Along the same lines as what I got in my 02 when it hit the streets. People are liking this car, grill and all. And personally, I'm digging the grill, too. And the rear is stunning. I don't like the quest coming out with the same grill either, but look at BMW; they all look the same. Anyway, I'm not getting on that issue. Well, I don't have the energy to give the depth of insight as blackmax, but will soon enough. BTW, I had my practically new Michelin Energy's put on the new Max and they delivered a significant improvement over the stock Continentals. This car is as smooth as glass. I could get used to driving it...with a 6 speed and SE suspension...uh oh.....

srm
Old 04-03-2003, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by Maxmann
Blackmax did a great job summarizing the attributes of the new max. We are nearing two weeks in our bronze SL with elite and sunroof and I echo every comment except for the noise he's having. My early problem was a sunroof that didn't sit well but that was quickly taken care of. Car is quieter than the Lexus LS 400 (1993 model) that preceded it. The SL is absolutely a luxury ride, and I have a tiny nagging that makes me wonder if I should have gotten an SE, but I've got my 02 6sp for that, right? Don't misinterpret...the car handles wonderfully, but I know the SE would be even better because that's what it is for. But I love the interior trim on the SL and really intend this car to be a long-distance cruiser when necessary and the 17"'s will deliver a smoother ride that much is true.

My only "complaint" if you can call it that is trying to find the right seating position. Because it is my wife's daily driver and not mine, I'm not in it enough yet to get acclimated and make the transition from my 02. I can get comfortable...no problem, but just haven't found the "sweet spot" yet, if you get what I mean.

And we are getting some stares and very flattering remarks in this car. Along the same lines as what I got in my 02 when it hit the streets. People are liking this car, grill and all. And personally, I'm digging the grill, too. And the rear is stunning. I don't like the quest coming out with the same grill either, but look at BMW; they all look the same. Anyway, I'm not getting on that issue. Well, I don't have the energy to give the depth of insight as blackmax, but will soon enough. BTW, I had my practically new Michelin Energy's put on the new Max and they delivered a significant improvement over the stock Continentals. This car is as smooth as glass. I could get used to driving it...with a 6 speed and SE suspension...uh oh.....

srm
Thank for your comment.

I agree with your assement of the seat. I had to get used to it myself. After a week of driving, I am as comfortable as ever.

Don't feel bad about the SE. It gives a notocibly stiffer ride. Your wife will apreciate the 17 inch rims.

By the way, I get the same type of commetns on the street as well.

Good Luck!

http://04blackmax.netfirms.com
Old 04-03-2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by 2004BlackMax

Thank for your comment.

I agree with your assement of the seat. I had to get used to it myself. After a week of driving, I am as comfortable as ever.

Don't feel bad about the SE. It gives a notocibly stiffer ride. Your wife will apreciate the 17 inch rims.

Good Luck!

You able to get an unobstructed view of the gages? Do you ever think they should have switched the temp and fuel with the tach? That I think could be an improvement. Don't know about you, but I lean in to the right when I drive and that tends to partially block the tach but gives me a great view of my fuel and temp...
Old 04-04-2003, 04:15 AM

You able to get an unobstructed view of the gages? Do you ever think they should have switched the temp and fuel with the tach? That I think could be an improvement. Don't know about you, but I lean in to the right when I drive and that tends to partially block the tach but gives me a great view of my fuel and temp...
Yes, I've noticed a bit of an inconvenience with the view of the gauges as well.... I prefer to adjust the steering wheel low for driving, but it quickly obstructs the 2:00 position of the tach. My '02 Altima had the tach on the left, wonder why opposite on the Max?
Old 04-04-2003, 10:09 AM

Yes, I experience the same, bu I got used to it and i dont notice it anymore.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The only thing I dislike about the car is from a side view the raer looks like a bubble. It's too big because they wanted a bigger trunk. I think if they cut down on the trunk space to make the rear not so bulgy that many more maxima owners would love it.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:28 AM

The leather seats look nice with the perforation/smooth combo. Is the leather soft like the 2k2/3 or is it kinda cheapy like the 2k/1? It looks really soft from the pictures.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:25 AM

Nice butt...

Originally posted by hacim105
The only thing I dislike about the car is from a side view the raer looks like a bubble. It's too big because they wanted a bigger trunk. I think if they cut down on the trunk space to make the rear not so bulgy that many more maxima owners would love it.
I think the Max's butt is one of it's best attributes!
Old 04-05-2003, 07:01 AM

The tan interior leather is not perforated. the leather is as nice or nicer than that in my 02 and which was also in our 03. But I don't remember my 01 leather (perforated on the AE) being cheapy. Maybe the AE leather was an upgrade. We test drove an SL with frost leather and it was perforated; felt very nice. I have no complaints.

srm
Old 04-05-2003, 11:01 PM

Re: A review after two weeks with my new 04

Thanks for the pics!!!!!!!!!!! This new MAX rocks! Especially the exterior. Sweet lines. Much better looking than the previous gen (Looks like it could the the new Lexus GS body). Although 03's were nice too, but this one is what a Maxima is supposed to be.

My only reservation is the interior. Overall its hot. But the doors need leather! Plus I cannot stand aluminum interior peices. Its a fad that will die out soon IMO. And the cloth that goes across the dash looks like it will be a major pain when dirty. In addition, I never keep stock stereo equip. They are all garbage! I dont care what anyone says. But I am very disriminating when it comes to audio. I am wondering... is it possible to add an aftermarket head unit at the bottem of the dash console (take out the ashtray, and make a custom plate?). I think they will clean up the interior when it goes through its update year. Thats when I will upgrade!

Anyways, Congrats on the new MAX!!! It definitely will be a classic.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity
The leather seats look nice with the perforation/smooth combo. Is the leather soft like the 2k2/3 or is it kinda cheapy like the 2k/1? It looks really soft from the pictures.
The leather is definately soft, very BMW like.

Old 04-11-2003, 11:40 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Originally posted by 2004BlackMax

Thank for your comment.

Good Luck!

2004BlackMax - glad you like the car. It's great to get reviews from people living with the car. I went down and sat in a few but couldn't get over that raised seating position. It's just far too high for me.

The noise you describe sounds a lot like the noise I had on my 97 when I first picked it up. Mine turned out to be the rear window seal. On the 4th trip they finally agreed to remove and reseal the rear window with new goop/seals and voila! the problem was solved. Maybe you already have it nailed down to something specific but if not, have them check that too.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:56 AM

2004BlackMax,
I love your car. Man I just stopped by the Nissan dealership last night to check out the new Max. And WOW! That's my next car. My wife even loves it. I just bought a 2003 Trailblazer in February and as soon as I can increase my income, I'm definitely picking one up.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:35 AM

those are some really nice pictures!!! I think that car would loook so much better if it was debadged. Great to know that you are enjoying your investment