6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Meeting With Nissan Rep This Week. Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 12:00 PM
Moderator GT-R

Meeting With Nissan Rep This Week. Questions?

I have a meeting with a Nissan rep on Wednesday, we're going to spend, a couple of hours, his words, going over some of the issues I've raised about my '04 Maxima. I don't know where this is going but I'll try to squeeze in a couple questions if you want to post them here. Keep it simple please.

1 - Why no Satellite Radio retrofit. (Especially when it seems so relatively easy to do.)
2 - Navigation System should be a standalone option like the sunroof or HLSD.
3 - Why where some of the mufflers misaligned?
4 - Why were some of the Navigation screens fogged or scratched?
5 - The glove box being crooked, well actually, straight, but not on the same line as the dash.
6 - Is it really a 20 gallon fuel tank?
7 - What's up with the "notchy" shifting in the 6 speed models?
8 - Why did they omit the ashtray/coin holder?
9 - Shimmy/Shake in the steering wheel.
10 - Vibration in shifter when in 1st gear.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:19 PM

ask about the horsepower ratings, alot of people say the max is overrated? especialy with the 03 maxima. so i would think the 04 maxima is to..
Old 08-11-2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by specv
ask about the horsepower ratings, alot of people say the max is overrated? especialy with the 03 maxima. so i would think the 04 maxima is to..
I doubt the Nissan Rep is going to say anything other than what the Max is rated at.....
Old 08-11-2003, 12:46 PM

its worth a shot...
Old 08-11-2003, 02:06 PM

I'd like him to address:

1 - the lack of a Satellite Radio retrofit (especially when it seems so relatively easy to do)

2 - why the Nav system wasn't a standalone option like the sunroof and HLSD
Old 08-11-2003, 02:08 PM

why where some of the exhaust missalighned?? why the nav screens where fogged up or scrached?
Old 08-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by JAKE02

I doubt the Nissan Rep is going to say anything other than what the Max is rated at.....
I think you are correct.
Horsepower is not my issue though. I have no complaints about how it runs and no factual basis from which to argue.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:27 PM

For us 2k2/3 guys, do they plan on doing anything about this HID problem.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:27 PM

i understand, it was just a thaught
Old 08-11-2003, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by bluemaxx

I think you are correct.
Horsepower is not my issue though. I have no complaints about how it runs and no factual basis from which to argue.
Ask him about the glove box being crooked, well actually, straight, but not on the same line as the dash.

I also think the SAT retrofit is odd, I really don't want SAT radio, but I think it would be a nice option to have.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:54 PM

I am curious to know why the mufflers are different sizes. One is a few inches shorter than the other. Is this just poor quality?
Old 08-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by jvitale
I am curious to know why the mufflers are different sizes. One is a few inches shorter than the other. Is this just poor quality?
I honestly haven't measured my mufflers yet, I think the second one is useless anyway. The extra muffler, brackets and pipe probably account for 25% of the weight gain from g5 to g6. Even an aluminum hood and trunk lid doesn't offset the new muffler.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:46 PM

Give him some feedback on the battleship turning issue. I love my car but have almost been killed when trying to pull U-turns on simple 2 lane stretches (which end up in 3-point turns). He's likely doesn't pull much weight with design Nissan engineers, but if we don't speak up nothing will change. This can't be the first car with big rims, big transverse engine, blah, blah, blah.......

Peace-out
Old 08-11-2003, 06:52 PM

yeah if it was rear wheel drive you could just spin the rear end around.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:53 PM

I would be interested to here what he says about the turning radius, but I think we beat that thing to death.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Why was the HLSD not available with the Elite Package?
Is it really a 20 gallon fuel tank?
What's up with the "notchy" shifting in the 6 speed models?
Why did they omit the ashtray/coin holder?
Old 08-12-2003, 09:29 AM

I put 19 gallons in the other day, that is as close to 20 that I have been.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:38 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by gmc74
I put 19 gallons in the other day, that is as close to 20 that I have been.
I've driven for two days with the low fuel light on and * in the DTE display then filled up with 17 gallons.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:45 AM

yeah, same here. I decided to push it the other day, because I figured there was plenty of extra gas in there.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:24 PM

at the end, see if you can find out anything about the new GTR...who knows, maybe he'll tell ya something interesting

also, find out what he knows about next year's Max, e.g. improvements, AWD, v8, etc.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

NAVI screen replacement policy concerning bad pixels, artifacts?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Meeting With Nissan Rep This Week. Questions?

Very interested in shifter vibration in 1st gear, it's irritating under gradual acceleration with your hand on the shifter. 1st dealer says it's normal, going to try another dealer. Of course if they dont get me a new front axle they will get the car back on the lemon law, 9 weeks and waiting.

I have a meeting with a Nissan rep on Wednesday, we're going to spend, a couple of hours, his words, going over some of the issues I've raised about my '04 Maxima. I don't know where this is going but I'll try to squeeze in a couple questions if you want to post them here. Keep it simple please.

1 - Why no Satellite Radio retrofit. (Especially when it seems so relatively easy to do.)
2 - Navigation System should be a standalone option like the sunroof or HLSD.
3 - Why where some of the mufflers misaligned?
4 - Why were some of the Navigation screens fogged or scratched?
5 - The glove box being crooked, well actually, straight, but not on the same line as the dash.
6 - Is it really a 20 gallon fuel tank?
7 - What's up with the "notchy" shifting in the 6 speed models?
8 - Why did they omit the ashtray/coin holder?
9 - Shimmy/Shake in the steering wheel.
10 - Vibration in shifter when in 1st gear.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:19 AM

Re: Re: Meeting With Nissan Rep This Week. Questions?

Originally posted by stevek
it's irritating under gradual acceleration with your hand on the shifter.
Lemon or not, if you plan to keep your max or any other manual trannie car long term, NEVER, EVER keep your hand on the shifter while in gear. The small load your hand applies to the gear means premature wear, ultimately ending in the gear being "thrown".
Old 08-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Meeting With Nissan Rep This Week. Questions?

The lemon issue is with the non-avalablity of the axle, not the shifter, yet. The shifter issues is when in 1st gear, since I am only in 1st gear for maybe 5 seconds I do lightly rest my hand there as prepare to shift to 2nd. I don't feel this contributes to excessive wear. One possible cause I have come up with for this vibration is an incorrectly adjusted shifter, it may be pushing the gears into mesh too far, as I put them in motion they are forced into the proper mesh. The shifter pops rearward about 1/8 inch as soon as the clutch begins to engage, cylces in and out that 1/8. This does not happen in other gears. If my guess is correct the wear being inflicted by this improper adjustment is many times that which I am causing. So far the dealer has not even agreed that I have a problem. As things are now I will not have this car long term.

Originally posted by CCS2k1Max

Lemon or not, if you plan to keep your max or any other manual trannie car long term, NEVER, EVER keep your hand on the shifter while in gear. The small load your hand applies to the gear means premature wear, ultimately ending in the gear being "thrown".
Old 08-13-2003, 01:40 PM

Ask about the "National Backorder" of axels for our cars. Why can't they grab a few axels from the production runs and fix our cars? I've also been on "National Backorder" for some window parts for my 350Z for over 2 months. And I had 3 radios in my 02. The first replacement took over 3 months to deliver, while Nissan kept pushing out over 300 cars a day, all with new radios.

Ask about why my airbag control module is bad. Is this the first indication of a new TSB coming down the road?

Ask about what is NNA's corporate plan to better Nissan's service experience.

Ask about why the Satellite radio isn't retro-active.

Ask about the bucktooth. WTF were they thinking?

Ask about the foglights being integrated into the headlights. They don't even look good anymore, much less work worth a crap.

Ask about where my 15 HP went in my 02. And where my 25 HP has gone in my 04.

And I could go on and on and on, but I won't.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:07 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by studman
Ask about the "National Backorder" of axels for our cars. Why can't they grab a few axels from the production runs and fix our cars? I've also been on "National Backorder" for some window parts for my 350Z for over 2 months. And I had 3 radios in my 02. The first replacement took over 3 months to deliver, while Nissan kept pushing out over 300 cars a day, all with new radios.

Ask about why my airbag control module is bad. Is this the first indication of a new TSB coming down the road?

Ask about the foglights being integrated into the headlights. They don't even look good anymore, much less work worth a crap.

The meeting was this morning, about 2 hours and 20 minutes. It was interesting, he took a butt load of pictures and detailed notes. They are going around and interviewing '04 Maxima owners at random plus trying to contact owners who have raised questions as I did. I'll post details later. One item of note, their is alot of internal grumbling at Nissan about the tooth grille...
Old 08-13-2003, 05:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I recieved a call this afternoon from NIssan USA,someone named Scott. He told me my axle was taken from the produciton line and would be at the dealer tomorrow. I'll see I've heardf this before. Maybe the NYS Attorney gereanl inquires helped. I'm sure its not me

Originally posted by studman

Old 08-14-2003, 05:19 AM

The meeting was this morning, about 2 hours and 20 minutes. It was interesting, he took a butt load of pictures and detailed notes. They are going around and interviewing '04 Maxima owners at random plus trying to contact owners who have raised questions as I did. I'll post details later. One item of note, their is alot of internal grumbling at Nissan about the tooth grille...
Well that is certainly interesting considering they are putting the tooth gril on everything now!