6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Which do you have?
Skyview
37.13%
Sunroof
62.87%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Skyview or Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 01:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the skyview. In the models I test drove that had the sun roof it took up too much head room, and my head rubbed on the roof. (I am 6 foot 3)

The skyview is cool, and the only choice that I could make, much as I love sun roofs.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:26 AM

Sun roof for me. Too "old" to accept change, I guess.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Blaxima
What do you have Skyview or Sunroof?

I have the skyview and I am happy I go it, I think it is totally cool and unique. Good idea nissan and it really goes well IMO with the new Maxima styling.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:51 AM

Skyview here. Wanted the sunroof but every Max in my area had leather and other options that I didn't want. From inside it's cool but wasn't crazy how it looked from outside, going with a black car it hides it a little.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:59 AM

I've got a skyroof, and I love it! At first I wanted the sunroof, because it looks more sporty and I'd use it a lot here in sunny Puerto Rico... but really uses some head room. And when you look at it from inside, the skyview looks very futuristic... and that fits very well with all of the car's cuts and angles. And if you want some fresh air, you could always open the side windows, without the risk of having a drop of water on my leather seats or experience a bird with stomach problems...
Old 01-24-2005, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by 4drsleeper
I personally like the skyview. I have had sunroofs in the past but I can't stand the wind blowing in the car so I preferred the skyview.

I with you on this, that is why I got the skyview. Plus my two kids can see up at the sky from the back seat.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Bwahhhhaa! In a couple years you suckers that bought the sunroof will be crying that it leaks or the gears are stripped or you need a new motor!

I will scoff at your poor choice, and laugh since I got the skyview that has no moving parts and should last the lifetime of the car without any repairs!!
Wow, a little defensive here or what? I have had factory installed sunroofs on my previous 3 cars and have NEVER had them leak and have NEVER had a problem with a motor. I will laugh at you when you see all of us with sunroofs driving around on nice, sunny, summer days with our sunroofs open and you're stuck with a nice window on your roof that you can't do a d*** thing with
Old 01-24-2005, 08:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It was intended as a bit of humor. Yes, there are days when I wished my roof opened up.

CM
Old 01-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've had sunroofs on previous cars and never used them. My girlfriend has one in her Jeep, we never use. So the skyview is fine for me.

The skyview was a "throw in" as far as I'm concerned - I actually think it breaks up the lines on the roof nice. To each his own I guess. Having a sunroof would be good if I smoked, but I don't...so
Old 01-24-2005, 09:57 AM

skyview was tempting until i found out it doesnt open. would get jealous tho if there is a future skyview that opens
Old 01-24-2005, 03:31 PM

i have the skyview but wanted the sunroof. still do, its the only option that my old car had that this one dosent and i wiss it...
Old 01-24-2005, 05:06 PM

Sunroof all the way.......every vehicle I've owned has had one and never had a problem....
Old 01-25-2005, 06:32 AM

Skyview. I dunno...but i just like the way it looks, even though it doesnt open. But I respect those among you who like the sunroof. To each his own...
Old 01-25-2005, 04:12 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I liked the skyview too untill I found out it doesn't open.... I like the sunroof and it comes in handy when you want air without opening windows..... its also handy when we have meets, I just let my girl hang out and take good pics.....
Old 02-04-2005, 10:43 AM

The skyview would be awesome if it opened. Slid left or right.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:35 PM
wsu

venting via sunroof

I like the ability of the sunroof to purge the cabin air by tilting up just the back of the assembly with the heater or AC fan blowing. It's less turbulent in the cabin this way than lowering a window for the same effect.

Also, there are times when it is great to open the sunroof (moonroof?) and look at the moon and the stars.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:22 PM

Agree

Bwahhhhaa! In a couple years you suckers that bought the sunroof will be crying that it leaks or the gears are stripped or you need a new motor!

I will scoff at your poor choice, and laugh since I got the skyview that has no moving parts and should last the lifetime of the car without any repairs!!
I totally agree with you but unfortunately I bought the sunroof because it was just about the only 04 Max available in November last year. I really wanted the skyview ALL sunroofs will eventually leak.......
Old 02-08-2005, 08:26 PM

I have been really lucky; I have had power sunroofs on every car I have owned for the last twenty years (all Maximas), and never had to replace any mechanicals. I use the sunroof every time I'm in the car if the weather is nice and I'm not travelling at freeway speed.

As for power sunroofs leaking, there are some interesting things some may not yet know about the 6th gen power sunroof. I am working on a blurb on this which I hope to post within a week; just as soon as I have completed the three week dryout of the footwell pads in my Maxima.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:06 AM

I have the skyview roof.....I think it look more distinctive. It would be cool if it opened.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:04 AM

Is that why there is a recall on the skyview? Because it shattered!!! holla
Old 02-09-2005, 08:15 AM

Does your skylight in your home open? Then, why shouldn't this one? Isn't that what they were trying to replicate?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:34 PM

Home skylights that are intended for both light and ventilation open. Home skylights intended only for light do not open. Some of these non-opening skylights are quite large, and really light up a room.

As for the 6th gen Maxima skyview, this was a 'freeby' on all cars not opting for the power sunroof. If the skyview opened, it would require a motor, controls, etc, be an 'additional cost option', and be called a 'power skylight'.

Also, if it opened, it would have to be narrower, as the shape and size of the roof would not permit the full-size skyview to recess to either side completely.

We need to be realistic with our 'wishes'.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Home skylights that are intended for both light and ventilation open. Home skylights intended only for light do not open. Some of these non-opening skylights are quite large, and really light up a room.

As for the 6th gen Maxima skyview, this was a 'freeby' on all cars not opting for the power sunroof. If the skyview opened, it would require a motor, controls, etc, be an 'additional cost option', and be called a 'power skylight'.

Also, if it opened, it would have to be narrower, as the shape and size of the roof would not permit the full-size skyview to recess to either side completely.

We need to be realistic with our 'wishes'.
I agree with Light. I opted for the "fixed"skyview not because I wanted it to open, but because I like the way it looks, I just wanna see the sky, and the passengers at the back can also benefit from the "view". It didnt matter to me whether it opened or not, cause if it does, I wouldnt be opening it anyway. I just like to be able to view the sky...hehehe... I only have 2 expectations for the skyview: that it's clear enough for me to see the "sky", and 2nd, that it doesn't LEAK! well, so far so good! so my expectations are quite realistic!
Old 02-10-2005, 11:23 AM

I like the skyview, everytime people are in the backseat, they are amazed by it. I guess they dont get out that much...LOL but its still cool to look through.

I wanted sunroof, but you cant always get what you want.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:28 PM

Why was the sky view recalled
Old 02-10-2005, 09:33 PM

Automonjama - Some skyviews were recalled because the carlex glass was not properly tempered, and sometimes exploded. The last Maximas with bad glass were '04s with VIN #s under 887500 or so.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by PaL379
I wanted sunroof, but you cant always get what you want.
...............But if you try sometimes
.............you might find
............you get what you neeeeeeeeeeeeeed !

Sorry couldn't help it
Old 02-15-2005, 03:27 PM

I opted for the skyview, partly because of being rather tall (6-2), and partly because of appearance and style. (The smoked plastic traditional sunroof deflectors I've seen do nothing for the car's looks, IMO). I don't care that it doesn't open, because most of my driving is in polluted city air. On the other hand, I think it should have been twice as wide, because it is really too narrow to see much out of unless you really lean toward the middle of the car.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:55 AM
GrandPa

I love the sun roof. By the way there is a recall on the sky view.Later Warren

Old 02-26-2005, 06:50 AM

We had the sunroof and I went without the deflectors. Most power sunroofs today have built-in deflectors that pop up and do just about as much good. Plus I don't like half my view being a deflector. Sky view is a very neat feature to be standard. Hate to hear there could be problems. That's unfortunate, but you gotta think with the bending and flexing of the roof and those panels running full length, I guess I can't say I'm surprised by that.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:57 PM

I like my skyview....nice conversation piece...and different. After trading in a convert for the Max, a sunroof was not a replacement. If I want function, I drive the wifes Camaro with T-Tops.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:29 PM

If I had to to it again...I would get a sunroof.

Why? Because if I have to answer ONE MORE TIME...."no, it doesnt open.....ya, thats weird........ya, I know it would be cooler if it opened.....go buy your own then you tool....."
Old 02-26-2005, 06:56 PM

Sunroof is a must for me. Personally I think the slit is ugly. I liked that toaster pic. Don't take it personal guys, it's just how I feel about the design. I just traded my 98 for a 2005 and refused to get that slit roof.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:47 PM

The day before SEMA last year, one of my injectors in my Olds Alero had fouled. I ended up renting an '04 Max and drove it down to AC. It had the Skyview roof and my friend and I both could not figure what the point of it was. Yea it was different but....needless to say I got the moonroof on my Maxima when I bought it 2 weeks later. Every car I have had has to have an opening sunroof....not sure why...it just does
Old 03-14-2005, 05:20 PM

I don't care what the rest of you think--the skyview is the coolest automotive innovation since the gull-wing doors of the Bricklin.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 4drsleeper
I have an 1893 horse drawn carriage. Had a sunroof installed 23 years ago and it's still good to go...no leaks at all.

BTW - I love the skyview, never really liked the sunroof with wind blowing on me or the road noise.
I was waiting for someone to say this, my feeling exactly. I have to add the dust and dirt and bird droppings when you are parked .
Old 03-14-2005, 07:14 PM
wsu

less attractive

Originally Posted by -AoW-JP
Sunroof is a must for me. Personally I think the slit is ugly. I liked that toaster pic. Don't take it personal guys, it's just how I feel about the design. I just traded my 98 for a 2005 and refused to get that slit roof.
I agree. The skyview roof has an unappealing appearance to my eye. I can understand how since it is different some might think it is cool, but it just doesn't do it for me. Somehow the skyview running along the longitudinal axis of the car just seems like it's trying too hard to be different.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by wsu
I agree. The skyview roof has an unappealing appearance to my eye. I can understand how since it is different some might think it is cool, but it just doesn't do it for me. Somehow the skyview running along the longitudinal axis of the car just seems like it's trying too hard to be different.
Well said. Again guys it's just a personal preference other wise we would all have the same color car
Old 03-15-2005, 02:22 PM
wsu

need to open it up

I appreciate that any glass in the roof allows light in, but for me, I need to be able to open the roof up on occasion. This consideration, in addition to finding the skyview roof generally unappealing, made my decision easy (though I don't think the sunroof is near worth the $900 MSRP option price).
Old 03-26-2005, 05:32 PM

I could not fine a '05 Max up here in Minnesota with a Skyview roof. they all had sunroofs. So guess what I ended up with?

Quick Reply: Skyview or Sunroof