6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Which do you have?
Skyview
37.13%
Sunroof
62.87%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Skyview or Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 05:43 PM

Skyview or Sunroof

What do you have Skyview or Sunroof?
Old 11-24-2003, 05:59 PM

Im glad i went with the skyview, its great to "look at the stars" lol thats what i told my gf lol...but seriously its cool and u can seriously see the stars when you are in the back...and let me tell you if you move those front seats up you have a lot of room in the back
Old 11-24-2003, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by pecora55
Im glad i went with the skyview, its great to "look at the stars" lol thats what i told my gf lol...but seriously its cool and u can seriously see the stars when you are in the back...and let me tell you if you move those front seats up you have a lot of room in the back
Why is your girlfriend in the back pecora55?
Old 11-24-2003, 07:53 PM

i got the skyview, i mean comon it is different
Old 11-24-2003, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by m00se
Why is your girlfriend in the back pecora55?
Because you have to be 12 years old to ride in the front in Arizona

lol

sorry, it was like you put that one on a tee for me.

I went with the sunroof, personally I think sunroofs are useless, but a sunroof that doesn't open is about as useful as t^ts on a nun
Old 11-24-2003, 09:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by gmc74
a sunroof that doesn't open is about as useful as t^ts on a nun
I love that, can I get that line copyrighted?
Old 11-24-2003, 10:53 PM

yeah i love the skyview......that option in canada came with the power rear sunshade...dig that too
Old 11-25-2003, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by gmc74
Because you have to be 12 years old to ride in the front in Arizona

lol

sorry, it was like you put that one on a tee for me.

I went with the sunroof, personally I think sunroofs are useless, but a sunroof that doesn't open is about as useful as t^ts on a nun

ill have to admit that was a good one im only looking out for your sisters safety gmc, thats all....dont be mad
Old 11-25-2003, 06:41 AM

Personally i didnt like the skyview thing!
Old 11-25-2003, 07:14 AM

Skyview would be great if it would open. I liked it at first...until summer came and I saw everyone with their roofs open. Oh well. I'll deal with it for now.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:39 AM

If the skyview opened i would have taken that, but i have a tendency to just always have the sunroof open no matter what time of the year it is.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:24 AM

I personally like the skyview. I have had sunroofs in the past but I can't stand the wind blowing in the car so I preferred the skyview.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:43 PM

Bwahhhhaa! In a couple years you suckers that bought the sunroof will be crying that it leaks or the gears are stripped or you need a new motor!

I will scoff at your poor choice, and laugh since I got the skyview that has no moving parts and should last the lifetime of the car without any repairs!!
Old 11-25-2003, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Bwahhhhaa! In a couple years you suckers that bought the sunroof will be crying that it leaks or the gears are stripped or you need a new motor!

I will scoff at your poor choice, and laugh since I got the skyview that has no moving parts and should last the lifetime of the car without any repairs!!
Previous Nissan products certainly lasted for more than a "couple of years", lets hope the 6th gen is no different!
Old 11-26-2003, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo

Unless I am mistaken, the skyview is glass...not transparent aluminum (as seen in Star Trek). That means you glass roof is sealed on the same way a regular sunroof is when closed...so you have 2 times the possiblity of a leaky roof. Sucka.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:04 AM

Skyview adds a lot more headroom. The two sliding panels inside is kinda cheesy, though -- wish they could make it one panel.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:30 AM

GMC you are FUNNY!!!

"Because you have to be 12 years old to ride in the front in Arizona"

"I went with the sunroof, personally I think sunroofs are useless, but a sunroof that doesn't open is about as useful as t^ts on a nun"

Old 11-28-2003, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
Unless I am mistaken, the skyview is glass...not transparent aluminum (as seen in Star Trek). That means you glass roof is sealed on the same way a regular sunroof is when closed...so you have 2 times the possiblity of a leaky roof. Sucka.
But a fixed glass (e.g., windshield, skyview) is sealed differently than a moving glass (i.e., sunroof) ....

Old 11-28-2003, 02:28 PM

I acutally would have preferred the skyview since I never open my sunroof. The only problem is that if you get the Navi, you get the sunroof.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sunroof if you live in an area where you want it to open. Pesonally I Got the sunroof on my SE becuase i have dark tints and like to drive with teh windows up. If you dont mind teh fact that the skyview doesnt open the go for it It looks kinda cool.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:40 PM

i was actually interested in the roof down the middle until i test drove a max with one and was told that it didn't open. the skyview roof is absolutely useless and pointless! I have a sunroof.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by mikey0120
i was actually interested in the roof down the middle until i test drove a max with one and was told that it didn't open. the skyview roof is absolutely useless and pointless! I have a sunroof.

I have the moon roof, and I love it
Old 12-02-2003, 12:39 PM

I agree with mikey0120
Old 12-02-2003, 12:49 PM

sunroof

I personally didnt care either way about the sunroof, I actually was gonna get the skyview to save the $900, but I couldnt find a 6 speed with the elite package that didnt have it and couldnt wait 60-90 days to get one on order, so I got the sunroof. This leaking thing is B.S., BTW, I had a 89 accord with a sunroof that never leaked until it got ended 2 years ago by the hands of a bronco that doesnt know what a red light is.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by MAdness
I personally didnt care either way about the sunroof, I actually was gonna get the skyview to save the $900, but I couldnt find a 6 speed with the elite package that didnt have it and couldnt wait 60-90 days to get one on order, so I got the sunroof. This leaking thing is B.S., BTW, I had a 89 accord with a sunroof that never leaked until it got ended 2 years ago by the hands of a bronco that doesnt know what a red light is.
your sunroof already leaks on a 6th gen??
Old 12-02-2003, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by JAKE02
your sunroof already leaks on a 6th gen??
No, the sunroof on my new maxima is golden, what I was sayin is that anyone who thinks that sunroofs will inevitiably leak is wrong cause I had a 89 accord with a sunroof until 2 years ago that never leaked, so I'd say sunroofs leaking is the exception, rather than the rule.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by MAdness
No, the sunroof on my new maxima is golden, what I was sayin is that anyone who thinks that sunroofs will inevitiably leak is wrong cause I had a 89 accord with a sunroof until 2 years ago that never leaked, so I'd say sunroofs leaking is the exception, rather than the rule.
I agree the roof on my 89 Maxima bad "weather car" has not leaked yet and I have had it since new in 89 and it has been through tons of rain storms and light snow.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:55 PM

I have an 1893 horse drawn carriage. Had a sunroof installed 23 years ago and it's still good to go...no leaks at all.

BTW - I love the skyview, never really liked the sunroof with wind blowing on me or the road noise.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:24 AM

I have this thing for sunroofs....I have to have one. As much as I like the Skyview....like others I would've gotten it if it opened.

FWIW I had a 97 Altima with a leaky sunroof....came in where the controls for it are. That almost made me not want one but my present car's sunroof has been good to me so far.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jaggrey
FWIW I had a 97 Altima with a leaky sunroof....came in where the controls for it are. That almost made me not want one but my present car's sunroof has been good to me so far.
I think your experience is somewhat rare for factory installed SR's. Aftermarket ones however, can have issues.
I've gotten a factory installed SR in almost every vehicle I've owned, and never once had a problem.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by MAXSE-RIOUS
I think your experience is somewhat rare for factory installed SR's. Aftermarket ones however, can have issues.
I've gotten a factory installed SR in almost every vehicle I've owned, and never once had a problem.
Oddly enough, my present car's sunroof is aftermarket I believe (I got it used), and I haven't had a problem so far. *knocks on wood*
Old 12-24-2003, 08:44 PM

I dont have a Maxima, but I like the sunroof. My neighbor has the skyview and it looks nice but the sunroof does it for me.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:55 PM

I've driven nothing but Maximas with power sunroof/moonroof since 1985, even logging 206,000 miles on one, and never had a leak.

I love the look of the new skylight, both from inside and outside. But I always have the sunroof open or cracked when the weather is nice and I'm not driving at higher speeds. I even crack the sunroof a half inch (which is protected by the wind deflector) when parking on a hot summer day.

Last spring, I felt Nissan might come up with a 'power open' option with the skylight roof by the '06 model year. But in thinking this through, it is not practical. The curvature of the roof would mean the loss of much headroom to open the skylight to the side. And the wind deflector only works well if at the front.

So I will stick with the less attractive, less innovative regular power sunroof.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:34 AM

I Had an 2k2 Max GLE with Wing and now I am getting the 2K4 max SL.

In Canada the SL come fully equiped with the only option being: Nav pack. The Nav does not work in some provinces such as Quebec, where I live (Montreal) sooooo....My GLE had a sunroof although when exiting car washes the blow dryers would usually blow some water through the car...it was more like a mist with some droplets!

My questions is this: What happens to the skyroof if you get a stone chip on it and it cracks? Is it easy to replace? And once it is replaced, how reliable is the seal?

Old 01-16-2004, 09:16 PM

I don't understand the criticism of the sky roof. It's purpose is for those that don't want a sunroof, but still appreciate the sun and sky and view of the clouds. Actually, I think it is a great idea and if I didn't prefer an opening roof, I would have loved the sky roof. It's standard anyway so what is the problem. And if you don't want to look outside, they even provided a sunshade. That's also why the offer a sunroof, i.e., for people who want to look at the sky and feel it. I agree that it is disappointing that it is broken up in the middle, but I bet it is for some support beams in the roof, you think? Again, if we weren't such fools for the open air, I would have been thrilled to have as a standard feature a view to the heavens. Give Nissan a break, guys...srm
Old 01-20-2004, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
My questions is this: What happens to the skyroof if you get a stone chip on it and it cracks? Is it easy to replace? And once it is replaced, how reliable is the seal?
Stone chip on the top of the roof? How does that happen? Unless you have people dropping rocks off overpasses.

I'd think the seal is as reliable as the company that replaces it. Much like replacement windshields.

CM.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mine has the Skyview of which I didn't have much choose.
I wanted this car, but at 6.3 my head would hit the ceiling when I had my seat adjusted to the way I wanted.
I had the same problem with many of the other more expensive cars that had sunroofs.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:16 AM

I have the Sunroof. Wouldn't have it any other way. No problems thusfar.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:50 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Originally Posted by MAXSE-RIOUS
I also had a '97 Altima w/ aftermarket sunroof, and boy did it rattle like crazy when shut. Leaked a few times too, then at the time traded for an all-new '98 Altima GLE w/ more features and a Factory sunroof

I too have to have a sunroof, but it must be factory installed!! My brother's Max even had a factory sunroof. But I learned my lesson the 1st time of having aftermarket sunroofs
Old 02-22-2004, 11:05 AM

I`ve always had a sunroof on my cars, some leaked when going through those brushless, high pressure car washes.

I don`t have that problem with the Skyview. I don`t have the noise or bird droppings either.

Quick Reply: Skyview or Sunroof