6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Which do you have?
Skyview
37.13%
Sunroof
62.87%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Skyview or Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 04:30 PM

As much as I think the skyview looks slick, I had a sunroof in my 2001 max SE, and loved it, used it ALOT, so when my 2001 was creamed this past feb, I searched high and low for a 2004 with the extras I wanted, especially the sunroof, finaly found it! never had any problems with old one so hope I have same luck here!!! Guess it's all about personal preference!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:45 PM

Time of year, climate, etc, enter into this.

During the miserably hot, humid summer weather, I seldom open my sunroof. But any time the weather is decent (most fall and spring days, some winter days), I open my sunroof.

I use my sunroof a lot, and have done so beginning with the my two 1985 Maximas (actually, one was my wife's, and the other was mine). I had the roof on my '04 SL open several times today.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:11 AM

i got sunroof..just becuz its easier to ash..^^
Old 04-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxima04
I acutally would have preferred the skyview since I never open my sunroof. The only problem is that if you get the Navi, you get the sunroof.
I have and 04 SE Elite Package with Navi, and a Skyview. It leaked when I first got it, but the dealer replaced the glass, and it is great!
Old 04-12-2005, 01:29 PM

i give kudos to nissan for doing something different for once. and design-wise i think the skyview works but not for functionality. like someone mentioned before i like the fact that i can circulate the air in the cabin.

just my $.02
Old 04-25-2005, 01:21 PM

It's all about personal preference. I originally had a silver '05 with G35 spoiler (dealer add-on) and sunroof. Took it back the same day and got a Red Opulence "05 with skyview and lip spoiler because I liked that better. The skyview is different and cool to me. The fact that it doesn't open doesn't bother me. That's what our 4 windows are for IMO. I have received numberous compliments on the skyview and I do not regret the decision we made.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:46 PM

you guys are funny......12yrs old.... lmao...
Old 04-26-2005, 04:52 PM

Maxima04 - You said you couldn't get the navi and elite without also having to accept the power sunroof.

A silver '05 SL just arrived at Nissan of Union City (GA) with nav, elite, every option EXCEPT no power sunroof. Just the plain 'no extra charge' skyview.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:07 PM

I have a skyview but wish it opened... most of the time its closed up..
Old 04-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Banned

I always leave the skyview glass showing....i dont see why id want it shut. Had it replaced under warrenty from the recall (even though I never had any problems) and they did an exceptional job replacing, would never know they did anything, no leaks, no scratches. Note the recall is only for a batch of early build maximas...there was the recall posted somewhere on here telling the tech what to look for: not all need replacement, they can tell by checking the markings on the lower corner of the glass and their pattern...and the build date. I guess some of the glass was not tempered correctly, and thus, may shatter...its got nothing to do witht he fact the car has glass from front to back on the roof....however i wish i had a sunroof sometimes..maybe on the next car
Old 04-29-2005, 03:45 PM

I really like the skyview myself and I think it looks totally cool and modern on the new Maxima style. Very futuristic. I have had many cars with regular sunroofs and I like them ok but having the skyview is alot cooler to me.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Bwahhhhaa! In a couple years you suckers that bought the sunroof will be crying that it leaks or the gears are stripped or you need a new motor!

I will scoff at your poor choice, and laugh since I got the skyview that has no moving parts and should last the lifetime of the car without any repairs!!

Except that it explodes or implodes .... seen that on a few posts:-(

Also the "sunroof" will always be a "skyroof.. or whatever it is called" ... only diff. being IT CAN BE OPENED!

p.s. if your not a smoker, then I guess the skyview would be "sufficient" as someone had mentioned it before!
Old 04-30-2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by tubells
Except that it explodes or implodes .... seen that on a few posts:-(

Also the "sunroof" will always be a "skyroof.. or whatever it is called" ... only diff. being IT CAN BE OPENED!

p.s. if your not a smoker, then I guess the skyview would be "sufficient" as someone had mentioned it before!
I am pretty sure the explode thing you mentioned was due to the glass tempering process not being done correctly on the first runs produced which is why the recall on the them was done. My 05 cane with the properly manufactured skyview from the factory which won't explode.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:19 PM
MaxiMiller305

Nissan can keep that crap, maybe it works up north for colder place, but in miami a sunroof is a plus during the summer, or when trying to work on a quick tan. Besides when i smoke my blunts that is the best way to get rid of the smoke... it looks like a chimney, gotta take a pic of that one day.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I like the skyview, more headroom, brighten's up the cabin and has a uniqe look to it that other car owner dig and have complimented me on. If I want to drive with a sunroof, I'll take my SUV for a spin. As for useless as a nun with t%ts, I stopped dating nuns years ago...
Old 05-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

a huge hunk of ice bounced off my sunroof like a basketball and left me with $2000 worth of damages. luckily it didn't fall through...
Old 05-15-2005, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by mynameispee
a huge hunk of ice bounced off my sunroof like a basketball and left me with $2000 worth of damages. luckily it didn't fall through...

Wow, thats aweful. Good thing it did not come through. What damage did it actually do to end up with $2k in costs?
Old 05-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Atomic_Ed
Wow, thats aweful. Good thing it did not come through. What damage did it actually do to end up with $2k in costs?
shards of glass went into the overhead comparments and they had to take it all down to get all the glass bits. there was some body damage according to the insurance company so body work had to be done. my max was out for almost a month. after i got it back, they missed a few pieces in the sunglass holder, within the maplights and dome light.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:07 PM

The skyroof is interesting, but I traded in a convertible for my Max and I had to at least have a sunroof. The wife was ambivalent on her Max, but since the best deal was on one with a sunroof, she got the sunroof. Here is South Texas, it great in the spring, fall and winter, and, in the summer time I keep the "tilt" open to exhaust the hot air during the day while I'm at work as well as to get the hot air out of the car when I first turn on air conditioning. I've never had a "leak" problem with any sunroof I've had over the past 10 years, before that yes, but they really seal tight now.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:16 PM

When I tilt my sunroof open, it rattles over broken roads. Does anyone else experience this ?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
I like the skyview, more headroom, brighten's up the cabin and has a uniqe look to it that other car owner dig and have complimented me on. If I want to drive with a sunroof, I'll take my SUV for a spin. As for useless as a nun with t%ts, I stopped dating nuns years ago...
I agree with you chernmax....love the skyview.....had a few problems with sun roofs over the years. If I want to drive in something better than a sun roof....I take my wifes Camaro with the T-tops. Nice feeling better than a sun roof....but not so nice the leaks that come with age. Gotta love T tops though....even though they are dated. Now....really miss the BMW convert. That was what fun in the sun was about, but we get older and have families...hence, I am happy with the Maxima and the skyview, even though it does not open. Actually, getting close to 90 degrees out here and over 90% humidity, I keep my skyview covers closed for the summer now. I like them because no other car has something similar. Nice design.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Skyview. I prefer this over the sunroof. I get compliments all the time.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:19 PM

mine came with power sun roof. however, i would not be opposed to sky view either, since it's so unique to maxima.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:07 PM

Skyview here.
I turned down the sunroof offer when i purchased, i think the Skyview is cool. It attracts attention more than the sunroof, also the back seat passengers appreciate it.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:45 PM

skyview...loved the look.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:18 PM
wsu

no rattle

Originally Posted by patang
When I tilt my sunroof open, it rattles over broken roads. Does anyone else experience this ?
I typically only open my sunroof while on the freeway (which does not necessarily mean that the road is not "broken"). I have not experienced the rattle to which you refer, and I don't recall reading about it on other strings either.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've had both...on my 04 Max I had the sunroof. Never opened unless I was sitting still (which wasn't often) because of the wind noise. My 05 has the Skyview...probably prefer the sunroof for the venting ability...
Old 07-10-2005, 09:18 AM

The sunroof Is a plus for the girls so much fun. When im out with my girls they love flashing the guys while I drive.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:45 PM
.org extraordinaire

Skyview!!

I had the choice of skyview and 6spdMT or sunroof and 5spAT.

Sunroof, 5spAT, $40,298.00CA + Tax
Skyview, 6spMT,$37,598.00CA + Tax - $1500 MT please buy this thing discount, plus front hood protector.

Almost $4K cheaper.

Y bother with a sunroof i would never open?

Kam
Old 07-12-2005, 05:21 PM

didn't like the look of the skyview at all. a glass roof that doesn't open just didn't appeal to me. love the sunroof.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:40 AM

So, it is possible to get an 05' with both the sunroof and the skyview? I like the sunroof over the skyview and wasn't sure if one year only came with 1 option..
Old 07-28-2005, 09:33 PM

Tramsootru -

Not absolutely sure I understood your last post.

ALL '04 and '05 Maximas in ALL styles and variations come with the skyview as STANDARD.

Folks who wish can buy/order any style or variation of '04 or '05 Maxima with the OPTIONAL power sunroof for $900.

The power sunroof and skyview are mutually exclusive. You can't have both on the same car.

Your post sort of said this, but in a way that left a sliver of doubt for me, so I wanted to eliminate that sliver of a doubt.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:33 AM

Yeh, I didn't think you could get them on both.

I just wanted to know, which you told, that you can get an 05 with either a Skyview or a Sunroof..

I want a Sunroof.. the top has to open.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:59 AM

sunroof for sure..and i have had 3 maxis and , personally never heard of anyone's sunroof ever leaking on any car. but heard a few hear. I dont expect it to leak ever, and gotta have fresh air especially at night with windows up , and roof open with fresh air pourin in. plus looks cool with windows titted all the way up and roof open.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:48 AM

Skyview but lately I have been closing the inside blinds or whatever they are called because the car gets too hot inside.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:46 PM
gec

IMO --- and I'm allowed to have one

I hate the skyview roof --- if it opened I would love it --- what a waste --- serves absolutely no purpose to my car other than it getting recalled for a new one.... Love nissan but sometimes they engineer things way ahead of their time, but don't think it through ---- I woulda loved to be in the room when they were designing it and they decided it shouldn't open...they woulda all got ***** slapped for such a dumb notion..... BET the next gen will have one that opens

Old 09-03-2005, 01:01 AM

skyview here....I love the look and the light, BUT, as stated by gec it definitely should have opened and I fully expect the next version will
Old 09-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Not for rookies!!

I have a sunroof, but only because they sent the wrong car. I am happy they made the mistake though.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

sunroof is the way to go
Old 09-10-2005, 11:57 AM

Sunroof

I like the appearance of the Skyroof but the fact that it doesn’t open would make me feel like I am missing something...

Quick Reply: Skyview or Sunroof