6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Which do you have?
Skyview
37.13%
Sunroof
62.87%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Skyview or Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 07:26 PM

skyview all the way
Old 04-25-2006, 06:44 PM

Just got an 04 se with skyview.
I though it was odd at first but its growing on me.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:54 AM

Sun roof all the way. i would mind spending an extra G on the sun roof package , sky view is restricted (doens't open) boooo
Old 05-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I purchased a 05 max with the skyview on Saturday. I sold my 04 sl. The 4-speed auto was to slow for me coming out of a gs400. I wanted a 6-speed and the only on the lot was a liquid silver with the skyroof. My sl had the moonroof. I thought I would miss my moonroof, but the skyroof is growing on me and the 6-speed is helping me forgot about the moonroof.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2004 with a skyview....and i have a problem with it. Rust is forming in the front of the and in the rear between the glass itself and the body of the roof in the little "valley". Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know the corrosion policy with Nissan Corp?

thanx ahead of time...dylan
Old 05-11-2006, 09:53 PM

skyview looks neat

I like the skyview - although it reminds me of the 10" x 48" plexiglass custom sunroof my brother cut into the roof of our 1991 Astrovan shop truck!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:41 PM

How do you think the skyview affects resale value? It is, after all, very different.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I love the skyview, everyone who rides in my car has complimented me for having something different...
Old 07-27-2006, 04:17 PM

Just got a new SE with the moonroof, really enjoy itl
Old 07-28-2006, 11:50 AM

I've had a sunroof on every Maxima since '86 - all five of 'em. Never had a leak, yet. We'll see with the new '07, but so far it feels tight and I don't hear any air leakage. We just had a heavy thunderstorm - the first in this car, so I'll know when I go outside.

Harry
Old 07-28-2006, 11:58 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

All of mine have had a sunroof, too. Never had any problems.

Personally, I rarely open the roof (I'm 6-2 and I always feel like my head is being sucked out), but my 5-3 wife loves it and wouldn't even consider the Skyview.

Plus my brother calls it the "toaster slot" - but what does he know... he sells Audi's.

BTW... the "Skyview" is also a sleazy "no-tell" motel in Fort Lee, NJ.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:50 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

Originally Posted by jcalabria
Plus my brother calls it the "toaster slot" - but what does he know... he sells Audi's.

lol

Do 6th gens even come with just a solid roof?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:19 PM

Skyview Or Sunroof

I had the SkyView in my 04SL .. The glass was replaced .. recall .... It rusted out because of the reinstall was done poorly by a sub contractor. Nissan paid for it as they should..

I now have 07SL with SunRoof. I LIKE BOTH !!

If the skyView turns you on then get it .. but keep an eye on it . You will probably be just fine and it does look good !!

Besides you can always trade it back in next year
Old 07-28-2006, 03:25 PM

I think the skyroof is cool althought it would be nice if it opened
i got the sun because my 01 max didn't have it
Old 07-28-2006, 05:19 PM

Skyview for me!

The passengers in the back benefit more from it than myself though. But it's prety great.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:22 PM

My salesman was calling it the Mohawk!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:58 PM

MacGarnicle - No, there is no 'plain roof' 6th gen available. The 'skyview' is the 'standard' roof.

Whatsthegoodword - As the skyview is standard in all 6th gen Maximas, it will already be reflected in all published used-car prices. Approaching this from another angle, I would definitely feel the skyview will probably attract interest from those souls wandering a used car lot looking for something that tweaks their juices. That could make the skyview-equipped Maxima easier to sell than say a competitor's plain-roof counterpart.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:02 PM

I got a sky view.. I thought it looked neat.. To bad it doesnt open..
Old 08-09-2006, 10:54 PM

Skyview for me.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:16 PM

I thought I would pop this in here

heh
Old 08-10-2006, 06:51 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
I thought I would pop this in here

Always wanted to do that but never found the time. Nice job!

"I have been quoted on the Internet. My life is complete."
Sal Calabria
Manager, Internet Sales
Audi of Charlotte
Old 08-12-2006, 03:42 PM

The skyview actually was one of the things that attracted me to the Maxima. once I got a look at it up close I realized it wasn't as cool as I thought it would be. Skyview just seems pointless to me. I guess it's neat to have a window on the roof but I like to open the sunroof on the rare perfect day.

Mark me down for: Sunroof
Old 08-12-2006, 11:38 PM

The skyroof would be ok if it opened. I didn't even consider cars that had the skyroof when I was looking for my Max. Or automatics.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:22 AM

does anyeone elses skyview panel(s) make noise on bumpy rounds when in the 'open' position?

mine rattles a little bit.

its pretty annoying.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2006 nissan maxima skyview glass

Has anyone out there known of someone converting the 2006 Nissan Maxima skyview glass to where it does open? Surely it has to be possible? If so, please pass the info on to me.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:56 PM

I have never heard of anyone doing that conversion. I can't even imagine the cost involved with something like that, if it's even possible.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by frankr
Has anyone out there known of someone converting the 2006 Nissan Maxima skyview glass to where it does open? Surely it has to be possible? If so, please pass the info on to me.
I just made a thread on this bro, Lets see who chimes in!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:40 PM

Always wanted to do that but never found the time. Nice job!

"I have been quoted on the Internet. My life is complete."
Sal Calabria
Manager, Internet Sales
Audi of Charlotte
LOL, that's too funny... I want one for my kitchen!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:22 PM

with the 04s, ive been reading how the rubber seal is ****ty and eventually leak. wehn i go through a car wash, i can hear it inside.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc74
a sunroof that doesn't open is about as useful as t^ts on a nun

I love that, can I get that line copyrighted?
Funny as hell, but I love my sunroof. Living in Florida I use mine almost everyday.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:19 PM

i really still dont' get the concept of the sky view.. if they had of made it like a longer sunroof that retracted sideways.. okay.. now you have something worth conversation.. i just really dont' get it.. are you folks with the skyview really that happy with it?
Old 04-12-2007, 06:15 AM

sunroof...are they still offering skyroof?
Old 04-14-2007, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfe
i really still dont' get the concept of the sky view.. if they had of made it like a longer sunroof that retracted sideways.. okay.. now you have something worth conversation.. i just really dont' get it.. are you folks with the skyview really that happy with it?
Yes I'm extremely happy, makes the front and rear look more roomy from the inside, I have had nothing but compliments from everyone who has seen or driven in my car. Us Max owners are the most critical it, mostly everyone else love it!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:14 PM

So many posters here are TOTALLY misunderstanding the skyview. The result has been a flurry of unrealistic comments.

The skyview is NOT A NEWFANGLED OPTION WHICH FELL SHORT OF THE MARK. It is the STANDARD OEM roof for the 6th gen Maxima. The alternative (thankfully unavailable) would have been to have NOTHING but the usual blah felt-lined metal roof overhead.

Those unhappy that the skyview doesn't open are not being realistic. Look at the skyview closely. Then look at the shape of the roof around it. There is no place for the skyview to slide. If it had been geometrically possible to have made it a powered-sliding sunroof, that would have required veloping a new technology, and would have added at least $2,000 to the base price.

Because of the shape of the roof, an openable skyview would be limited to moving upward. That would limit it to nothing more than an option to tilt the rear up a few inches. At a cost of several hundred bucks if manual, and over $1,000 more per car if powered.

But all this pales beside the REAL problem. Having it open even for one inch brings all kinds of water issues to bear. For instance, the power sunroof on the Maxima (and many cars) is not watertight. There is a carefully designed drainage system around the power sunroof that carries the inevitable leakage to the ground. One of the two drain tubes involved was crimped in my Maxima, and I ended up with several inches of water in my footwell on my first road trip.

The drainage problems with an opening skyview would be much more difficult than with the standard powered sunroof.

Those suggesting the skyview on the Maxima should open are being neither practical nor realistic.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:30 PM

well with all that said, I understand you're point.. but I don't believe anyone was bashing that it doesn't open.. just the FACT that it doesn't open. If you want to talk about realism... the skyview is in fact a very weak attempt at a trend and it did not take well. True it is better than a plain roof.. but anyone who wanted different froma plain roof would REALISTICALLY opt for a power sunroof.. all that jazz about a powered skyview and the money involved is silly. If it were to be done.. it would have BEEN done and sent into production. It was a great idea that I don't feel stacked up to what it should have.

Realism has nothing to do with it. Most ppl are jus suggesting that it would be an IMPROVED idea were it able to be powered and slide. But since it doesn't, the stats don't lie and more ppl than not like the sunroof over the skyview.. thats REALISTIC. Its not a knock at those with skyviews that enjoy them.. but it is very NOTEWORTHY fact that no other car manufacturer is breaking down their assembly lines to fabricate and follow the skyview trend..

again.. they don't because its not REALISTICALLY profitable...

just my .02
Old 04-15-2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Yes I'm extremely happy, makes the front and rear look more roomy from the inside, I have had nothing but compliments from everyone who has seen or driven in my car. Us Max owners are the most critical it, mostly everyone else love it!!!
I agree that max owners prob are the most critical of it.. but that happens with anything thats "different" from year to year.. i bet there is a nice thread somewhere about ppl who didn't like the MY04 from the MY03.

Whenever there is significant differences there is always initial and sectarian resistance..

don't believe that? just ask Bush..lol
Old 04-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
So many posters here are TOTALLY misunderstanding the skyview. The result has been a flurry of unrealistic comments.

The skyview is NOT A NEWFANGLED OPTION WHICH FELL SHORT OF THE MARK. It is the STANDARD OEM roof for the 6th gen Maxima. The alternative (thankfully unavailable) would have been to have NOTHING but the usual blah felt-lined metal roof overhead.

Those unhappy that the skyview doesn't open are not being realistic. Look at the skyview closely. Then look at the shape of the roof around it. There is no place for the skyview to slide. If it had been geometrically possible to have made it a powered-sliding sunroof, that would have required veloping a new technology, and would have added at least $2,000 to the base price.

Because of the shape of the roof, an openable skyview would be limited to moving upward. That would limit it to nothing more than an option to tilt the rear up a few inches. At a cost of several hundred bucks if manual, and over $1,000 more per car if powered.

But all this pales beside the REAL problem. Having it open even for one inch brings all kinds of water issues to bear. For instance, the power sunroof on the Maxima (and many cars) is not watertight. There is a carefully designed drainage system around the power sunroof that carries the inevitable leakage to the ground. One of the two drain tubes involved was crimped in my Maxima, and I ended up with several inches of water in my footwell on my first road trip.

The drainage problems with an opening skyview would be much more difficult than with the standard powered sunroof.

Those suggesting the skyview on the Maxima should open are being neither practical nor realistic.
I just bought a 2005 Maxima(Black Beauty) that has a skyview Roof.
I love it and think it's really cool - lets it lots of light and gives the impression of a Bright & Roomy interior.
I had the choice of buying a Max with a Sunroof and opted not to - heard of too many problems with leaking, after a while.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:32 PM

the skyview is cool...just wished it opened like a sunroof
Old 04-23-2007, 06:54 AM

I opted for the sunroof since I'd never had one before (the Zs had t-tops). Now that I have it, the skyview probably would have been just as good for me.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:47 AM

I have got to have a sunroof . It would be too much of a tease to have glass there that did not open!

Quick Reply: Skyview or Sunroof