6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Instructions for installing the XM

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Instructions for installing the XM

I bought the after market XM receiver, and my 2004 maxima has the pre-wiring, but no indtructions to wear to find the wiring anybody know where I get the instructions. Thanks
Old 01-04-2004, 01:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by hammer14975
I bought the after market XM receiver, and my 2004 maxima has the pre-wiring, but no indtructions to wear to find the wiring anybody know where I get the instructions. Thanks

I installed my xm about 6 weeks ago. I never found any maxima specific instructions out there. The best info I can give is that the prewired harness is located in the trunk. if you pull down the paneling in the trunk, and between the 2 speakers you should see the harness. In retrospect, i think i should have taken pictures...but hindsight is 20/20...
Old 01-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks

Originally Posted by ENDelt263
I installed my xm about 6 weeks ago. I never found any maxima specific instructions out there. The best info I can give is that the prewired harness is located in the trunk. if you pull down the paneling in the trunk, and between the 2 speakers you should see the harness. In retrospect, i think i should have taken pictures...but hindsight is 20/20...

Thank you very much, The place that I bought the receiver from said it was somewhere in the trunk. But not sure where it came out from. Again thanks, I feel it should pretty easy to insall. Did you just mount it to the inside of the trunk? How was the antenna to install?
Old 01-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you very much, The place that I bought the receiver from said it was somewhere in the trunk. But not sure where it came out from. Again thanks, I feel it should pretty easy to insall. Did you just mount it to the inside of the trunk? How was the antenna to install?
I mounted the receiver where i found the harness. As far as the antenna goes, i opted to put the antenna inside my vehicle, in the back window. I have the elite package (rear seats don't fold down), and all i did was was run the wires through a small hole located behind the rear passenger side seat. then i placed the tail just in the rear seat console, hiding all wires from view and the antenna centered on the rear shelf.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Curious, how much did you pay for the receiver, and where did you buy it from?
Old 01-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nightline
Curious, how much did you pay for the receiver, and where did you buy it from?
I bought it at Grubbs infinity in Texas (I live in California), you can go to Grubbs.com and get their phone number, ask for parts and order though them. It was like 295.00 plus shipping. It was the cheapest I found. And I have talk to other people who order it through them and they said the same thing about it heing the cheapest. I went to the dealership were I bought my maxima, and they wanted 750.00 to do it. YEA RIGHT!!!!! Good luck!!!
Old 01-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I mounted the receiver where i found the harness. As far as the antenna goes, i opted to put the antenna inside my vehicle, in the back window. I have the elite package (rear seats don't fold down), and all i did was was run the wires through a small hole located behind the rear passenger side seat. then i placed the tail just in the rear seat console, hiding all wires from view and the antenna centered on the rear shelf.
Thank you!!!, It should be here this week. I let you know what happens. I am not really a do it yourself, But I am also looking to save money.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you!!!, It should be here this week. I let you know what happens. I am not really a do it yourself, But I am also looking to save money.
Well, i'll try and keep an eye out to see if you have questions. If you have AIM, feel free to message me. My aim id is Hammon98. It really should go pretty easy though...
Old 01-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, i'll try and keep an eye out to see if you have questions. If you have AIM, feel free to message me. My aim id is Hammon98. It really should go pretty easy though...

Got the receiver today, going to try to install it now. Thanks again. I'll IM you if any problems.

Scott
Old 01-06-2004, 12:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

definitely take some pics with a digital camera if you can, or try to document your steps for the install if you're successful. Im sure that'll be a huge benefit to a lot of other people on here if you get it in there!
Old 01-06-2004, 07:21 PM

Here ya go! PDF for XM install an 04............

http://www.courtesyparts.com/satelli...4%20Maxima.pdf

Gotta love Courtesy.... lots of goodies on their parts website!
Old 01-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Max Cat
Here ya go! PDF for XM install an 04............

http://www.courtesyparts.com/satelli...4%20Maxima.pdf

Gotta love Courtesy.... lots of goodies on their parts website!

Thanks, got installed today. Funny thing is I called 4 dealers and they all said they had no instructions or what to do. They just want the $$$$$$. It saved me 400.00 to do it myself
Old 01-06-2004, 08:17 PM

When did you get your Max, I am curious as to whether or not this works with all of them, or just the later ones. Anyone know?
Old 01-06-2004, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by gmc74
When did you get your Max, I am curious as to whether or not this works with all of them, or just the later ones. Anyone know?

There is a sticker on the drivers door jamb to indicate that your max is prewired for the satellite option. No sticker=No wiring harness for this unit.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by gmc74
It will work with all '04 Max's. Early builds (pre-July) most likely will not be pre-wired with the wiring harness.... if not, you will also have to install the wiring from the HU to the Sat receiver. Wish I was pre-wired.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MAXSE-RIOUS
It will work with all '04 Max's. Early builds (pre-July) most likely will not be pre-wired with the wiring harness.... if not, you will also have to install the wiring from the HU to the Sat receiver. Wish I was pre-wired.
I've got the prewire harness and cables if you'd like to run the cabling yourself. I accidentally bought it assuming i was not prewired for satellite, but later found the sticker hiding. I've heard the sticker is located either on the door jam or on the underside of the center console lid. Either way, if anyone is interested in the harness, just let me know...i got it from Grubb's Infiniti, and will sell it at a loss.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:43 PM

I was just curious, I am not really interested in the sat radio
Old 02-24-2004, 03:47 AM

Hmmm, I think I'm going to purchase the XM since I now have it in my newest car. It was actually working during the heavy clouds we've had lately, with no problems.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MaximumMike
Hmmm, I think I'm going to purchase the XM since I now have it in my newest car. It was actually working during the heavy clouds we've had lately, with no problems.

I've got XM too. I love it. The longer you listen to it, you will be surprised at how many new programs/artists etc. you will discover. There is also a really good XM forum and store for all of the XM products and accessories at www.XM411.com. I am a member there too and you will find plenty of info on XM and satelite radio in general.