6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

SE ride quality ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 06:12 AM

SE ride quality ??

I test drove the SE last night....wow you feel every little lump bump in the road.
It drives as hard had my 95 with Suspension Tech Springs (stiff but great preforming sping) and KYB struts. Is this normal
Old 02-12-2004, 08:23 AM

what kind of tires was the SE sitting on?
Stock springs?
Old 02-12-2004, 08:23 AM

The SE suspension is fairly tight. However, that was the intent of Nissan...they wanted "sport suspension" on the SE and luxury suspension on the SL. I have to admit that I not really pleased with the SE suspension at all. It's pretty rough riding for such a big car, I really expected a smoother ride. Although, the small tires have a lot to do with the ride as well...there's very little sidewall on the tires to give comfort, so it's really a combination of the two.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Banned

i was kinda suprised with rough ride too when i first test-drove it.
but I'm getting used to it and now it feels ok to me.
i bought my max on 1/6/04 and i just checked the tire pressure last
night. the pressure was 43 psi on all four tires!!! I don't know
what they were thinking...

now I adjusted the tire pressure to 33 psi, and it's not as rough as
before...
Old 02-12-2004, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by VTmaximaVT
i was kinda suprised with rough ride too when i first test-drove it.
but I'm getting used to it and now it feels ok to me.
i bought my max on 1/6/04 and i just checked the tire pressure last
night. the pressure was 43 psi on all four tires!!! I don't know
what they were thinking...

now I adjusted the tire pressure to 33 psi, and it's not as rough as
before...

How much of a diff did it make? Is 33 psi stock pressure?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The SE ride quality is undoubtedly on the harsh side. In so many ways this car is 'off the charts' fantastic, but ride quality is not one of them. I'm hoping I either get used to it or modify it to make it more comfortable. I've owned my '04 for just two weeks, so it may just be getting used to it.
Incidentally, I didn't think the SL ride quality was much better but that's just my opinion.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah they ship them with crazy tire pressures like 50psi. The dealership is supposed to check that during the prep of the vehicle before you receive it.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cookie1
The SE ride quality is undoubtedly on the harsh side. In so many ways this car is 'off the charts' fantastic, but ride quality is not one of them. I'm hoping I either get used to it or modify it to make it more comfortable. I've owned my '04 for just two weeks, so it may just be getting used to it.
Incidentally, I didn't think the SL ride quality was much better but that's just my opinion.

My $0.02 is that the SL ride is fantastic. Firm enough that you know you're not driving a Buick Roadmaster, relatively little lean in corners (how fast does any sensible person take a corner, anyway?), and yet not at all harsh on rough pavement.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by lobewiper
My $0.02 is that the SL ride is fantastic. Firm enough that you know you're not driving a Buick Roadmaster, relatively little lean in corners (how fast does any sensible person take a corner, anyway?), and yet not at all harsh on rough pavement.

Roadmaster now thats funny. My father had one; great engine (LT1) lots of power QE II like handleing
Old 02-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The ride "quality" is the one thing about this car that I am really disappointed in. I did test drive two SE's and just did not pick up on it. One time was after having test-driven two FX's and the G35. Maybe that and having been so impressed with the power of the V6 is why.

To be sure, I'm coming off three years in an MB-CLK and two years in a Cadillac STS with "touring suspension" so it's not a fair comparison. But, if you're looking for any kind of smooth or compliant ride, you won't find it in an '04 SE.

I even went do far as to get SSR 17" wheels with 235/55 Michelin tires. That did take some of the harsh impact away, but replaced it with a kind of "squirminess" that was not there with the OEM setup.

Finally, the reason I didn't go with the SL was that I wanted the 5-spd. auto. I regret that decision because the "SportShift" or whatever Nissan calls is really a joke.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow, I'm sorry folks, must disagree with comments here.

I love the ride of the SE. It all depends on where you come from. My last car was much stiffer ride. I was actually concerned that the ride might be too soft.
When I went to check out these cars the only one they had to test drive was an SL. After the drive my wife and son (and myself) were very disappointed. I felt sea sick.
So it really depends on what you are used too. I like the ride of European cars (you still feel the road), and find American cars ride too soft.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by lobewiper

I second this post.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:17 PM

I like the ride in my SE, but then I'm young so that stuff doesn't bother me much. There is some roughness at times, but you must remember it does have a "sport suspension" it is a heavy car, and it does have a realitively small sidewall.

As for the tire pressure, I actually run 43 psi in mine on purpose. Sure it makes the ride more rough but it makes the steering feel tighter, and running an even pressure in all four tires helps reduce understeer. Plus, on those ****ty roads, it helps protect the wheel, which I'm sure the dealer wants 500 bucks or more for.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:21 PM

Wouldn't running pressure like that contribute to early wear in the center of the tire from a classic case of overinflation?