6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

question about the info display

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 08:05 PM

question about the info display

Being that I don't have the car yet and I haven't had the chance to test drive one, I have a question. What is actually displayed on the screen? Is it just the radio stations or what?

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Your climate control info is also displayed on the screen, along with the typical clock and outside temp. It will also display CD Text info
Old 02-25-2004, 09:47 PM

If you have the 'Journey package' (at an extra couple thousand dollers), you can get the entire universe on your screen. Otherwise, it is for the things TrogdorTB mentioned, as well as other things like whether the car will beep or flash the lights or both when you lock it with the remote, and the same options are screen-controlled for remote unlocking, also.

The screen can be used to set the level of darkness at which the 'auto headlight on' device turns on the lights. It even allows you to set the time you need to hold down the 'open trunk' button on the remote before the trunk lid unlatches. Why is that important? So you won't unintentionally open the trunk by accidentally briefly pressing the trunk button while trying to lock/unlock the car.

There are other options, but the manual will cover everything.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:35 AM

In addition to everything that was previously stated, the screen will also display fuel economy & how many miles you can drive until the tank runs dry. Also will display how many miles until your next tire rotation. You can also adjust a feature that will increase the stereo volume the faster you drive & then will decrease volume when you slow down. This is done to equalize the road noise.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:32 PM

Alright, thanks guys. The reason I was asking is because I'm trying to decide on whether or not it's a good idea to get rid of the screen. It sounds like there's more on the display than just the radio stations. So, it's probably a good idea to keep it and relocate it.

The thing is I want a 6 spd with the Nav. The only problem I'm having is that every dealer that I've talked to said that the 6spd will come with either a Driver Preferred Package or the Elite Package. I don't want the buckets in the back. So, I was thinking of getting the DPP and putting in my own Nav. The problem is the display screen and controls would have to be removed or relocated. Which brings me to another question. Are the controls under the radio strictly for the radio or do they control other functions?

Anyway, I was thinking of relocating the screen to the lower portion of the console (where the cd and cassette slots are). I figure that I don't use cassettes and if I replace the radio then the factory cd slot is useless anyway. This way I can put in my own nav and maybe even a center channel speaker while keeping the factory display for the other functions.

What do you guys think? Is it doable?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:33 PM

Being a potential owner, how bad is the orange I hear about? I still cant beleive Nissan uses orange for all the instrumentation.........
Old 02-26-2004, 08:41 PM

I just saw the 04 Project Stillen Max on another thread. I think that if I leave the screen and controls where it is and just add a flip out nav in the lower console (where they added the aftermarket radio) I will be in good shape. It'll probably be less work and it will do the same job!!

Thanks for everybody's input!
Old 02-27-2004, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by rabenoja
I just saw the 04 Project Stillen Max on another thread. I think that if I leave the screen and controls where it is and just add a flip out nav in the lower console (where they added the aftermarket radio) I will be in good shape. It'll probably be less work and it will do the same job!!

Thanks for everybody's input!
I have seen 6-speeds without nav or any other options as far as that goes. Just order it.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by cookpr
Being a potential owner, how bad is the orange I hear about? I still cant beleive Nissan uses orange for all the instrumentation.........
The display is not orange, it's radiant ember.

I didn't know you could adjust the trunk release timing. cool...
Old 03-02-2004, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by cookpr
Dude, I hear alot of complainers griping about how bad it looks. I'll be honest with you, its not as nice as the eye candy you'll get from the NAV screen, but its not bad at all. People are gonna gripe and whine about anything that is new and different. It fits the car well & displays some very usefull information.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by desmo_dude
The display is not orange, it's radiant ember.

I didn't know you could adjust the trunk release timing. cool...
i don't think you can....can you?
Old 03-03-2004, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by VTmaximaVT
i don't think you can....can you?
That's what lightonthehill said in a previous post... I haven't verified, but I remember seeing a few things that made me go
Old 03-03-2004, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by clayman88
Dude, I hear alot of complainers griping about how bad it looks. I'll be honest with you, its not as nice as the eye candy you'll get from the NAV screen, but its not bad at all. People are gonna gripe and whine about anything that is new and different. It fits the car well & displays some very usefull information.
I agree... I'd rather have a simple GUI (graphical user interface) with more intuitive controls so I can concentrate on driving, than try to navigate a freakin' Palm Pilot on my dashboard. I didn't like the way the GPS screen refreshes are so slow. It's like watching someone play Counterstrike on a Pentium 75. Maybe next year's will be 3D-accelerated by GeForce... Hmm...
Old 03-04-2004, 04:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by desmo_dude
It's like watching someone play Counterstrike on a Pentium 75. Maybe next year's will be 3D-accelerated by GeForce... Hmm...
counterstrike is the best game ever!!!
i've been playing cs for like 4 yrs now and it's still fun!!!

hehe i sound like a little kid...