6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

bose system cd problems when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

bose system cd problems when cold

since the colder weather set in the original bose 6 cd audio system has not worked while driving. the problem worsens the lower the temperature gets. it will stop playing, the info panel play time will stop then it may play a bit more and many times just halt. this happens with nearly all cd. these cd are new or in perfect condition. they play fine in my chevy truck under the same conditions.

another characteristic is that it appears to fail more often (or sooner) when the track number is high.

my speculation is that bose has used a poor quality lubricant on the mechanical parts of the player. they are affected more when moving and even more when the temperature lowers.

the dealer swapped the original unit out. unfortunately during this process they caused a number of other problems. yet, the "new" bose system does exactly the SAME thing!

i called the nissan customer support number and have gotten nowhere with them. their solution is to keep replacing the unit until i "get a good one"! this sucks since the wait time to get this replacement is almost a month, i have to drive 100 miles and i risk having the dealer make more blunders.

i'm concerned that now two (2) units are defective in the same way. that is 100% failure in my case. i dont want to waste my time repeatedly going through replacement cycles and take 6 months to get a solution using this crap-shoot method.

my questions to the forum:

1. does anyone else see this problem?

2. does anyone have any suggestions to get this fixed?

3. is there some other way to get nissans attention at a higher level?

thanks for any input,
painter
Old 03-02-2004, 08:29 PM

About a month or two ago, we had I think 5 straight days of negative temperatures, between negative 10 and negative 1, and I never noticed any of those problems. All of my tracks still played perfectly, display showed everything just fine, no blips, glitches or delays.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:17 AM
Banned

I've been checking this out myself during this freezing winter we had up north here and was unable to make it fail. I would even go so far as to not turn on the heat and drive down 8 Mile Road here in Detroit (nortoriously bad pavement) and could not get it to skip. Sound like you got a bad Clarion head unit.

There were numerous problems with the Clarion head unit supplied with the Bose systems in the 5th generation Max's. Perhaps you just got unlucky and got a bad one.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:37 AM

Take it to the dealer its covered under the warrenty and there is nothing you can do to permantly fix it. They are not really Bose CD players they just have a bose stamp, in the 5th gen they are actually made my clarion; prob. the same for the 6th gen. Im on my second cd player, and it work fine now.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:06 AM
nm

Originally Posted by painter
since the colder weather set in the original bose 6 cd audio system has not worked while driving. the problem worsens the lower the temperature gets. it will stop playing, the info panel play time will stop then it may play a bit more and many times just halt. this happens with nearly all cd. these cd are new or in perfect condition. they play fine in my chevy truck under the same conditions.

another characteristic is that it appears to fail more often (or sooner) when the track number is high.

my speculation is that bose has used a poor quality lubricant on the mechanical parts of the player. they are affected more when moving and even more when the temperature lowers.

the dealer swapped the original unit out. unfortunately during this process they caused a number of other problems. yet, the "new" bose system does exactly the SAME thing!

i called the nissan customer support number and have gotten nowhere with them. their solution is to keep replacing the unit until i "get a good one"! this sucks since the wait time to get this replacement is almost a month, i have to drive 100 miles and i risk having the dealer make more blunders.

i'm concerned that now two (2) units are defective in the same way. that is 100% failure in my case. i dont want to waste my time repeatedly going through replacement cycles and take 6 months to get a solution using this crap-shoot method.

thanks for any input,
painter

I have a similar problem with my 5th gen non changer BOSE, when it is cold (<20F) the CD player will have trouble detecting and playing CDs and will intermittently fail while playing. To remedy this I run the heater at max temp. directed out the forward vents which are right above the bose and that warms it up and then it works normaly.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

See thread below started on 2/21/04. There are plenty of people experiencing problems with CDs skipping. We're in Minnesota (cold) and our's started skipping the day we took possession. The dealer replaced the CD player and the new one skips also. We met with the manager; he said we're the first 04 Maxima buyer in a hundred they've sold with this problem. He is going to do more research (at our request) before they install a third one (he thinks it may have to do with the alignment in the dash or something?). Anyway, you're not alone. Good luck - we too had problems with them causing other problems while replacing the player (scratches, broken shift know, etc.) . It's frustating. Otherwise, we like the car.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:19 AM
Banned

It sounds like painter may be having problems with the service department more than an actual head unit problem. They did mess up his shifter while doing a simple head unit change out, who are these bozo's? An alignment problem with the cockpit module seems feasible or at least more likely than Clarion screwing up two head units to the same customer out of thousands.

I feel for you, being so far from not only your own dealer but from any other dealer has got to suck.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:26 PM

thanks for any input,
painter
Painter,

I'm not sure if you will receive a resolution to the problem by replacing the unit. In the car manual it says the following

"During cold weather or rainy days, the player may malfunction due to the humidity. If this occurs, remove the CD and dehumidify or ventilate the player completely."

There is a similar warning about hot temperatures.

This sounds like a design issue to me.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for any input,
painter
I am having the same issue. Only happens when it is cold. I have to blast the heat to warm up the cd player Its annoying!!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:29 AM

Intermittently had this problem on my 5thgen, and for my situation, I found sometimes when I pulled the CD out I was able to barely notice condensation quickly evaporating from the CD surface. I wonder if blasting the heat is simply speeding up the process of evaporation on the surface of the cd and/or laser of the player.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:43 PM

cd player is **** in my 6th gen, forget it, doesnt work, cold or hot, almost never works.