6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Door Trim Problem - Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 06:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Door Trim Problem - Fixed

Some of you might remember the problem that i had with the paint rubbing off my door trim a couple of days ago:

Since i couldn't screw it up more than it already was, i decided that i would try to paint it yesterday. I went to a local hardware store and tried matching the paint color as close as i could. This is the closest i could find off the shelf:

Since a lot of males are partially colour blind (including me) i asked my wife if she thought that the paint would match the original trim color. She gave a thumbs up, rolled her eyes and away i went.

I pulled on the trim on the door handle. It popped right out. I sanded it first with 320, 400, 600 and then finished up with 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I cleaned the trim off with rubbing alcool and let it dry.

I painted it with numerous thin coats to avoid streaking, etc (at least 6 coats if i recall) and waited about 20 minutes between each coat.

I popped the trim back in the car this morning and this is the result:

Here's another pic where i included the door handle to show the paint match:

Doesn't look too bad at all. The fix cost me about $7 for paint and supplies.

Bob
Old 05-24-2004, 06:41 AM

How did that happen to your door trim? Did you clean it with something that you shouldn't have used? I would like to know so that I can avoid something like that. It looks pretty damn good by the way. Color looks perfect.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by JAANND
How did that happen to your door trim? Did you clean it with something that you shouldn't have used? I would like to know so that I can avoid something like that. It looks pretty damn good by the way. Color looks perfect.

JAANND - Take a look here for details:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=312547

Bob
Old 05-24-2004, 09:31 AM

Note to self: No OFF in vehicle
Old 05-24-2004, 09:40 AM
Banned

What about us poor slobs with the wood trim interiors? Or is the wood trim interior OFF resistant!
Old 05-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Door Trim

Hi-- I also had a problem with trim paint--- I hung a Yankee Candle Air Freshener on the rear door handlle, and then noticed it looked like the paint had melted and smeared..... It seems the trim had a reaction to the chemicals in the Air Freshener.... Dealer replaced both rear door trims for free.....
Old 05-24-2004, 11:09 AM

Hey, that looks pretty good. I guess it beats buying a new trim peice at the dealer!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 11:14 AM

The first thing i said to myself after purchasing this damn car was why the hell hasnt nissan used more brushed aluminum like the nice acura tl. i mean the door trims would be a great place for brushed aluminum. as well as where the shift *** goes, that should be brushed aluminum. the center piece around the shift **** is all scratched up for me. i wish somebody would develop after markey brished aluminum parts for this.

theres onluy one place thats brished aluminum, and you cant see it unless the doors are open.

i think the interior is cheap on this car

1. display screen sucks, scratches with any touch to it.
2. cheap paint on the interior trims, comes off with friggin off? i mean thats pathetic.
3.no brushed aluminum?

anyone agree?
Old 05-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris_RI
The first thing i said to myself after purchasing this damn car was why the hell hasnt nissan used more brushed aluminum like the nice acura tl. i mean the door trims would be a great place for brushed aluminum. as well as where the shift *** goes, that should be brushed aluminum. the center piece around the shift **** is all scratched up for me. i wish somebody would develop after markey brished aluminum parts for this.

theres onluy one place thats brished aluminum, and you cant see it unless the doors are open.

i think the interior is cheap on this car

1. display screen sucks, scratches with any touch to it.
2. cheap paint on the interior trims, comes off with friggin off? i mean thats pathetic.
3.no brushed aluminum?

anyone agree?
i agree...the quality of TL is so much better than maxima's...
and that's the reason why maximas are $2000 cheaper when similarily equipped.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:38 PM

somebody needs to make some aftermarket brushed aluminum so this car can compete with th tl, the tl's brushed aluminum drives me crazy
Old 05-25-2004, 02:31 AM

somebody needs to make some aftermarket brushed aluminum so this car can compete with th tl, the tl's brushed aluminum drives me crazy
They do. Here's a couple of places:

http://www.dashkitstore.com/details.php?id=1038
http://www.nycdashes.com/cart/custom...cat=439&page=1

Bob
Old 05-25-2004, 04:35 AM

Hmmmm

See I would only like the door trim inserts and the shifter insert, does anybody know is these kits are adhesive or actual replacements for the stock?

I wonder if you can just order parts or if you need to buy the whole kit?
Old 05-25-2004, 04:37 AM

Also, does anybody have any pictured with the brushed aluminum?

Oh yea, great find SilverBelle04 !!!
Old 05-25-2004, 09:27 AM

Hre's another site where you can buy just the door handle strips:

http://www.wooddash.com/item/NISSAN_..._MAXIMA_2004_2

Bob
Old 05-25-2004, 10:32 AM

wow, thats awesome, any idea id they are replacements for the stock or just stick ons for the stock. also i still would like the shifter to be brushed. I wonder if its possible to get just that.

Also, I wonder if they sell the shift area as a stand alone part anywhere.

I also noticed that there is two types of brushed aluminum classic and simulated, not sure the difference.

These door strips are expensive so I am assuming they are actual inserts that clip in and not stick on.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:27 PM

wow, thats awesome, any idea id they are replacements for the stock or just stick ons for the stock. also i still would like the shifter to be brushed. I wonder if its possible to get just that.

Also, I wonder if they sell the shift area as a stand alone part anywhere.

I also noticed that there is two types of brushed aluminum classic and simulated, not sure the difference.

These door strips are expensive so I am assuming they are actual inserts that clip in and not stick on.
Chris - my guess would be stick on ?? but you're right that would be expensive for 4 pieces of aluminum stick ons. You should send them an email and ask. You could also ask if they would sell you just the shifter piece at the same time.

Good luck,

Bob