6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Headlight Bulbs?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 03:23 AM

Headlight Bulbs?!?!?!

OK....well this is my first post in this forum...i picked up the '04 Maxima last week but i did not get the one with the HIDs....i was offered a decent deal...but i had to choose from one that was on the lot...being that i did not like the look of the SL (i do not like leather, and i wanted the 18" wheels) i choose the SE...i love the car....but i would like to change out those lights...i have an HID kit on my bike...but i really do not want to spend that kinda money on a kit...although i do have a connection and i can get the DS2 kit for $365....i would like to just change the bulbs and get more of a white or blue look...but when i checked in the owners manual it said that the bulbs are 9012 WTF?!?! i have never heard of those before...nor can i find them anywere...does anyone know where i can find these bulbs aftermarket....and yeah what is with this light set-up....from what i see i have to take off the bumper cover to get at the lights.... any help would be great....and sorry if this is a repost......thanx
Old 05-25-2004, 06:00 AM

Anytime I pass someone using "blue bulbs" pretending to have HID's, it is very distracting and also very obvious. I would rather have the factory halogens than this type of "upgrade."
There is a thread below showing the high cost of the real deal that will probably turn you off. IMO you really liked the car a lot when you chose it and knew you were not getting the HID's. So just enjoy the car and don't cheapen it with "downgrades".
Old 05-25-2004, 06:39 AM

Yeah i know that it does look obvious that the lights are not HIDs....but i jsut do not like the look of the halogen bulbs...i knew i was buy the car witht eh halogens...but that was because i could not get one that had the HIDs.....my intention from the start was to change the bulbs out....i know that i would not spend the money on teh factory kit for the HID....they jsut cost way too much...if anything i would pick up and aftermarket kit from my dealer.....those kits cost $365...but like said before i am not interested in spending that much on light right now....i would rather jsut change out the bulbs....i think that i look of the yellow halogens makes the front of the car look bad IMO.....
Old 05-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I believe its a 9004 bulb that is a direct replacement. The 9012 bulb is designed to produce close to the same light output as an HID lamp. Any change in bulbs will be a downgrade in lighting quality.

And yes, the bumper cover does have to come off to access the bolts for the lamp housings to remove them. Although you may be able to reach the drivers side only by removing the air box assembly.

CM.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
I believe its a 9004 bulb that is a direct replacement. The 9012 bulb is designed to produce close to the same light output as an HID lamp. Any change in bulbs will be a downgrade in lighting quality.

And yes, the bumper cover does have to come off to access the bolts for the lamp housings to remove them. Although you may be able to reach the drivers side only by removing the air box assembly.

CM.
So if I bought the 9004 bulb, it would fit???
Old 05-25-2004, 01:58 PM

Thanx for the info....i know it will be a downgrade...but i really do not like the look of the yellow....i would rather have some nice blue or white bulbs in there....who knows maybe i will spring the 365 and get the HID kit
Old 05-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I believe its a 9004 or 9005 bulb. Which ever one is the low beam version. The 9012 bulb has nearly identical dimensions. Though if you have headlight problems in the future it may void your warranty. Its a big price to pay just for looks and decreasing the functionality of a major component of your vehicle. The light is really not that yellow. You should leave your car running and take a look at it from a hundred yards away to see exactly what oncoming drivers see.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:57 PM

I have these in my other SE-R for $25 each at your local automotive Pep Boys stores.

Sylvania Silver Star High Performance Bulbs HID
Old 05-25-2004, 03:28 PM
KC's FINEST

I agree about the Sylvanina Silverstars. I would highly recommend those. I had them in both of my previous cars, and I even replaced the stock fog lamps in my brand new Murano with them. They match the HID headlights almost perfectly.

MY RIDES
Old 05-26-2004, 04:11 AM

You guys really like the Sylvania bulbs.....i tried them once and was not too impressed....but if you guys are that stoked on them then maybe i will try them out again...i really do not want to spend too much on bulbs and these seem cheap...thanx
Old 05-30-2004, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by homerjay4242
Yeah i know that it does look obvious that the lights are not HIDs....but i jsut do not like the look of the halogen bulbs...i knew i was buy the car witht eh halogens...but that was because i could not get one that had the HIDs.....my intention from the start was to change the bulbs out....i know that i would not spend the money on teh factory kit for the HID....they jsut cost way too much...if anything i would pick up and aftermarket kit from my dealer.....those kits cost $365...but like said before i am not interested in spending that much on light right now....i would rather jsut change out the bulbs....i think that i look of the yellow halogens makes the front of the car look bad IMO.....

I feel exactly where your coming from, I bought the se w/o leather and hids, don't care too much for leather but definetly wanting the hids now. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the factory hids for $2300 everything installed. That way it all be under warranty.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by rnupetroop
I feel exactly where your coming from, I bought the se w/o leather and hids, don't care too much for leather but definetly wanting the hids now. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the factory hids for $2300 everything installed. That way it all be under warranty.
Yeah i am in the same boat...do not like leather..but wanted the HIDs....i think that i am going to get an aftermarket kit....i have a sweet hook up for a kit...i can get them for 365....i have a set on my CBR600RR and i have to say that they are great...i know that i would not want to spend 2300 on HID...if i had that money to spend i would go for the aftermarket kit that i can get....then maybe rims, or tint, grille and body kit...i just cannot see spending 2300 on lights....plus the light that i can get have a 1 year warrenty...so figure this...if the factory warrenty on those lights i for 5 years...and for my lights it is one...then even if my light die every year for 5 years i still only spent ~1800 on light as opposed to 2300....i like the factory look but i just think that 2300 is way too much...if you want to talk more about the kit that i can get let me know....
Old 06-05-2004, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by homerjay4242
Yeah i am in the same boat...do not like leather..but wanted the HIDs....i think that i am going to get an aftermarket kit....i have a sweet hook up for a kit...i can get them for 365....i have a set on my CBR600RR and i have to say that they are great...i know that i would not want to spend 2300 on HID...if i had that money to spend i would go for the aftermarket kit that i can get....then maybe rims, or tint, grille and body kit...i just cannot see spending 2300 on lights....plus the light that i can get have a 1 year warrenty...so figure this...if the factory warrenty on those lights i for 5 years...and for my lights it is one...then even if my light die every year for 5 years i still only spent ~1800 on light as opposed to 2300....i like the factory look but i just think that 2300 is way too much...if you want to talk more about the kit that i can get let me know....
Interested in the HID kit. Just dont know much about the installation and fitment of the aftermarket kit on the Max. Let me know and how would I go about getting it installed, would I be able to do it or should I let somebody professionally install it. Let me know...thanx
Old 06-05-2004, 06:46 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by originalstarlit
Anytime I pass someone using "blue bulbs" pretending to have HID's, it is very distracting and also very obvious. I would rather have the factory halogens than this type of "upgrade."
There is a thread below showing the high cost of the real deal that will probably turn you off. IMO you really liked the car a lot when you chose it and knew you were not getting the HID's. So just enjoy the car and don't cheapen it with "downgrades".
Have you ever had a set of 04 Maxima HIDs behind you? Now that's distracting! What's the deal with that? You can spot a Maxima from 3 miles as it approaches your rear view mirror. I love mine btw, but they are obnoxious.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by DvSMAXXX04
Interested in the HID kit. Just dont know much about the installation and fitment of the aftermarket kit on the Max. Let me know and how would I go about getting it installed, would I be able to do it or should I let somebody professionally install it. Let me know...thanx
the install for these lights is not hard....i put them on my bike and it took 30 minutes...they are plug and play.....the only thing is that with the maxima you have to remove the front bumper cover and then remove the headlights to change the bulbs....so this will involve a little more labor...but it should not that hard.....once you get the bumper off and the headlights out it just plugs in like a normal bulb...the you find a nice place to mount the starter and ballast......if i had to guess...i would say with the bumper removal and all it should not take any longer than 2 and and a half hours.....if you need more details let me know....