6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Still think car mags missed the boat

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 06:40 AM

Still think car mags missed the boat

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but after 6 months and 15,000 miles on my 6th Gen SE, I really think the car mags gave the Max a raw deal.

They seemed so focused on the fact it's front-wheel-drive (so what?) that I believe they overlooked the real goodness and driving satisfaction this car delivers. Performance-wise, it's quick and lively, with lots of passing power and all the grunt you'll need off the line. The engine is flexible and smooth, with loads of torque and plenty of power in reserve for almost any maneuver. The auto trans is well-matched to the engine, with a gear for just about any occasion. The build quality (on mine, at least) is excellent, as is the suspension and handling.

They continue to rave about the G35 (as in the Motor Trend long-term test), and while that's a really great car, I don't think they gave the Maxima a real chance because of their bias toward rear-drive cars. I think if they had the Maxima as a regular driver for awhile, they'd begin to see its virtues like we do.

In the meantime, I don't guess it really matters ... I have mine and I'm happy as a clam. Let them drive their cars and I'll drive mine. But it's their loss.

Mike
Old 06-02-2004, 06:57 AM

Alot of it is really subjective. I've had my Max for about a month and logged about 2800 miles already. I really enjoy it, with only a few minor criticisms, but nothing that would have changed my mind if I knew ahead of time:

1) Base sound system could be more powerful (easily fixable with upgrades)
2) Heavy torque steer (took a few times to get used to, but now I know to hold on and GO!)
3) Glove box alignment (BFD)
4) Paint could be better quality (the best will still get scratches & dings)
5) Road noise (SE - to be expected with 18inchers)

I have a base SE, cloth interior, skyview, base sound system etc so mine is one of the lower cost Maximas (got it for a few hundred over invoice). I think the mags get critical of the fact that the cost of a fully equipped Maxima is in line with the G35. I wonder if they are just bored with the maxima since it has had such a long run? I realize they still rate the Accord and Camry high - also been around forever, but they are SUPPOSED TO be boring.

Truth be told, if my budget and space requirements allowed (3 younger kids), I would have opted for the G35 coupe, but the Maxima for me is the best of all worlds.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but after 6 months and 15,000 miles on my 6th Gen SE, I really think the car mags gave the Max a raw deal.

They seemed so focused on the fact it's front-wheel-drive (so what?) that I believe they overlooked the real goodness and driving satisfaction this car delivers. Performance-wise, it's quick and lively, with lots of passing power and all the grunt you'll need off the line. The engine is flexible and smooth, with loads of torque and plenty of power in reserve for almost any maneuver. The auto trans is well-matched to the engine, with a gear for just about any occasion. The build quality (on mine, at least) is excellent, as is the suspension and handling.

They continue to rave about the G35 (as in the Motor Trend long-term test), and while that's a really great car, I don't think they gave the Maxima a real chance because of their bias toward rear-drive cars. I think if they had the Maxima as a regular driver for awhile, they'd begin to see its virtues like we do.

In the meantime, I don't guess it really matters ... I have mine and I'm happy as a clam. Let them drive their cars and I'll drive mine. But it's their loss.

Mike
You sound like the guys on Acura-tl.com. They have the exact same complaints.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:54 AM

There are some mags that actually drove the '04 Maxima and G35 side-by-side in comprehensive tests, and said the Maxima was the better car. Consumer Reports was one of these. Unlike with most things CR tests, their rating of automobiles is not influenced by price differential.

I don't always agree with Consumer Reports, as I am weighing particular things differently than they. But I drove both vehicles in March of 2003 and came to the same conclusion.

The Maxima seemed roomier in both the front and back seats. Measurements by CR confirmed this. Most of the weight of a car is on the front wheels, so FWD enables one to get by sometimes on snow and ice. Not so for RWD.

The styling of the G35 is very attractive, but, in my mind, not nearly as dramatic or eye-catching as the '04 Maxima. For the price of a G35, the Maxima can be had with gobs of bells and whistles. And it helps that there are many more Nissan dealers than Infiniti dealers. This means more competition, which means better deals. It also means one may not have to travel as far when having scheduled maintenance done.

But then, this is a member of Mike_TX's choir preaching . . .
Old 06-03-2004, 12:15 PM

Consumer reports gave the Maxima a high rating becuase it's a very good car. Most real car magazine however favor cars that are RWD because it offers better performance. The thing about car magazine reviews is that they are written by people who I feel are jaded by too many cars. Just like a film critic that has watched too many movies. Ultimately you have to drive all the competition and see what fits you best.

I feel the Maxima has got a few things going against it. I think the ones that stand out the most are the FWD platform and that the Altima is nearly as good as Maxima and is stealing sales away from it.

Before I bought my G35, my wife and I test drove 3 different Maximas. My wife was all hot on the Maxima as her parents have a 2002 and they were singin the praises. Coming from a FWD Taurus SHO I was really pushing for the G35 because of the RWD. My wife isn't so easy to impress. She could care a less about the RWD factor. after driving both extensively, the G35 won her out because of it's smaller exterior but still large interior. Although Highly subjective, we both liked the styling of the G35 better.

I know you guys don't want to hear negative things said about your car. In fact no one does. But if you spent any time behind the wheel of a G35, you know what everyone is raving about
Old 06-03-2004, 12:27 PM

Then go buy yourself a G35
http://members.cardomain.com/revolutionz_vp
Old 06-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by shodog
blah, blah, blah...I know you guys don't want to hear negative things said about your car. In fact no one does. But if you spent any time behind the wheel of a G35, you know what everyone is raving about

You are right! I never thought to go shopping for a car; I just bought the first one I saw. Too bad, there is not an Infiniti dealer between my house and the Nissan dealer; I might have stumbled into a G35 instead. Thanks for sharing that brilliant advice; we should all learn from your example. Next time I will go check out a couple of cars before I make my decision. Who knew?
Maybe one of the moderators will make that post a sticky. Did you take pictures of the test drive and purchase process? Would you mind posting them please?
Old 06-03-2004, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by REVOLUTIONZ
And thats just what I did

Originally Posted by bluemaxx
You are right! I never thought to go shopping for a car; I just bought the first one I saw. Too bad, there is not an Infiniti dealer between my house and the Nissan dealer; I might have stumbled into a G35 instead. Thanks for sharing that brilliant advice; we should all learn from your example. Next time I will go check out a couple of cars before I make my decision. Who knew?
Maybe one of the moderators will make that post a sticky. Did you take pictures of the test drive and purchase process? Would you mind posting them please?
Did I ever imply that you or anyone else didn't do their homework? what I implied is that take car tests with a grain of salt. go out and drive the cars an see what fits you best.

The original poster was inquiring about why the G35 gets such accolades. I was merely saying that after driving one, it would be obvious why they recieve such praise
Old 06-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was loaned G35x for 48hrs (48 b/c the dealer was closed for new years day) and wasn't too terribly impressed by it.. I expected more from it. Unless it was floored when going 70 it wouldn't drop down a gear and go it would try and fight with the 5th gear. They seem to have done a better job gearing the maxima, it seemed (I turned in the G35x and then went to the Nissan Dealer and test drove the max for the first time) that the Max had more grunt, and was much more willing to drop down a gear or two to get up and going. The G35x had 150 miles on it so it was new, and didn't have enough miles (IMHO) for the trans to learn that the driver didn't want top performance.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:38 PM

and not having HID high beams was a downer on the G35... spoil me with HID lows and then tease me with Halogen High. How stupid. But don't get me wrong the Max has its problems too.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:32 PM

shodog - You are correct that the Altima is a fine car, and is stealing traffic away from the '04 Maxima. You are correct that this is working against the Maxima sales-wise.

But you are incorrect in listing this as a factor that has any bearing on the G35 vs Maxima comparison.

As to the FWD platform working against the Maxima, the FWD platform was why I bought my first Maxima (1985). I find I can somewhat navigate mud, slush, light snow and ice because the weight is over the drive wheels. RWD cars have no chance in such situations.

In driving with the FWD, I found the car moved out with a minimum of tire spin, also due to most of the weight being over the drive wheels.

I drove the G35 several times before the '04 Maxima came out in March of '03. I was never able to overcome the cramped and closed feeling of the G35. It is smaller in almost every measureable internal dimension than the Maxima.

I tried to not be influenced by the fact the Maxima was clearly the more 'eye-catching' vehicle of the two (I still have trouble recognizing a G35 when I see one). I did, however, consider the fact there are significantly more Nissan dealers, which means I was able to strike a significantly better deal in purchasing, and have more options for service wherever I may go.

But the G35 is a fine car, and the G35X could be just the ticket for bad weather areas. I guess this is just a case of varying personal preferences.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:35 PM
*moderator*

I kind of like that the Max got "missed". When people see my car they have no idea what it is (shaved emblems add to the stealthyness) I just hate when people ask " Is that an Altima?"
Old 06-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Banned

How do they get them confused? The new Alty looks like a Max more than the new Max does!
Old 06-04-2004, 05:51 AM

In certain ways, the 2k5 Alti looks like a combination of the 2k2/3 Maxima and 2k4 Maxima. Now that the Alti 3.5SE has Navi, it'll definitely be the way to go. $.02
Old 06-04-2004, 06:32 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by F23A4
In certain ways, the 2k5 Alti looks like a combination of the 2k2/3 Maxima and 2k4 Maxima. Now that the Alti 3.5SE has Navi, it'll definitely be the way to go. $.02
I think people in general are just confused and most don't pay attention...

As for the Altima being the way to go, I disagree (for me at least). The Max is so much bigger, at least for me that was a main factor over buying the G35. Aslo again to my other point, I like not having the same car as everyone else on the road. If that were the case I'd buy an Altima or better yet an Accord!!!
--my 2 cents...
Old 06-04-2004, 07:45 AM
is invisible

And thats just what I did

Sport package.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:57 AM
is invisible

[/FONT][FONT=Arial]
Originally Posted by ethorn
I was loaned G35x for 48hrs (48 b/c the dealer was closed for new years day) and wasn't too terribly impressed by it.. I expected more from it. Unless it was floored when going 70 it wouldn't drop down a gear and go it would try and fight with the 5th gear. They seem to have done a better job gearing the maxima, it seemed (I turned in the G35x and then went to the Nissan Dealer and test drove the max for the first time) that the Max had more grunt, and was much more willing to drop down a gear or two to get up and going. The G35x had 150 miles on it so it was new, and didn't have enough miles (IMHO) for the trans to learn that the driver didn't want top performance.
[FONT=Arial]

It can't help that the G35X weighs ~300lbs more than the G35 (RWD).
Old 06-04-2004, 08:00 AM

Ethorn: I have not driven a G35X. From what I have heard from ones who have is that it is not as fast or nimble (because of 300 extra pounds) as a standard RWD G35. And not having HID High lights is no big deal. I don’t use my bright lights very often and when I do, the standard Halogens are more than sufficient.

Lightonthehill: I have never seen a car magazine do a road test of cars in the snow or ice. Hence the reason they don’t give FWD much love. FWD works better for snow so I’ll give you no argument there. In dry situations however I prefer RWD.

The reason I brought up the Altima is that this car really encompasses the spirit of what a Maxima used to be. Really Nissan should have used the body from the Altima for the Maxima. The 6th gen Maxima’s are too big and overweight to really carry the on the name of 4DSC.

The writing is on the wall for Nissan. Both the Altima and the G35 are out selling the Maxima by a wide margin. If Nissan want the Maxima to stay competitive in the market, they need to do a bit more homework on the car.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:29 AM

Like all cars, the Maxima has evolved. It is no longer the 4-door sports car that it originally was (hence Nissan is no longer using that term).

The Altima has become what the old Maxima embodied and the Maxima has moved into the near-luxury category. As for the Altima stealing sales away from the Maxima, I can agree with that to a point. However, I feel that both cars target different audiences. Sure they both haul ***, but the Max is the aristocrat and the Altima is the hellraiser. Two completely different cars targeted to completely different buying segments.

As for the G35 comparison, I actually prefer the Max. It is much roomier and is a better dollar-for-dollar buy. Now, if I didn't need the room, I'd be driving a G-Coupe.

Anyway, I'm done rambling.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:59 AM

Ethorn: I have not driven a G35X. From what I have heard from ones who have is that it is not as fast or nimble (because of 300 extra pounds) as a standard RWD G35. And not having HID High lights is no big deal. I don’t use my bright lights very often and when I do, the standard Halogens are more than sufficient.

Lightonthehill: I have never seen a car magazine do a road test of cars in the snow or ice. Hence the reason they don’t give FWD much love. FWD works better for snow so I’ll give you no argument there. In dry situations however I prefer RWD.

The reason I brought up the Altima is that this car really encompasses the spirit of what a Maxima used to be. Really Nissan should have used the body from the Altima for the Maxima. The 6th gen Maxima’s are too big and overweight to really carry the on the name of 4DSC.

The writing is on the wall for Nissan. Both the Altima and the G35 are out selling the Maxima by a wide margin. If Nissan want the Maxima to stay competitive in the market, they need to do a bit more homework on the car.
Of course the Altima is outselling the Maxima...that was intended. The Altima is Nissans volume car. However, are there any figures to back up the claim that the G35 outsells the Maxima?
Old 06-04-2004, 10:26 AM

DansMax3 - Like you, I am not sure the G35 is outselling the Max.

I just drove home from a visit to my local Nissan dealer's lot (I'm there almost every day), and was looking at a silver (frost int) SL with driv pref, VDC (vehicle directional control), TCS (traction control), full size spare tire on OEM alloy wheel, power sunroof, etc.

And the VIN serial? 920120. That means Nissan has already built over 120,000 '04 Maximas. This in a year in which Nissan moved the Maxima up to near-luxury, bumped the price significantly, and said they hoped to build 80,000.

The pronouncement of the Maxima's demise has proven to be premature.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by FNG
How do they get them confused? The new Alty looks like a Max more than the new Max does!
...except for those butt-ugly Altima taillights that are too big, too busy-looking and too out-of-place with the rest of the styling.

The Altima wins on the grille end, but gawd, Nissan needs to do something with that a$$-end!

Mike
Old 06-04-2004, 10:43 AM
is invisible

...except for those butt-ugly Altima taillights that are too big, too busy-looking and too out-of-place with the rest of the styling.

The Altima wins on the grille end, but gawd, Nissan needs to do something with that a$$-end!

Mike

They did a splendid job with the front, but failed to finish it off with the rear. It takes more than changing the color of a bulb/light!
Old 06-04-2004, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by DansMax3
However, are there any figures to back up the claim that the G35 outsells the Maxima?
I'm going to have to pull a Kerry here and flip flop on my statement. Take a look at this page

http://www.infinitinews.com/corporat...33104913.shtml

Looking at the sales figures it's hard to say what was sold. New cars come out about August to September. So I wonder how many of the CYTD sales of the maxima were 2004 models. It is significant that sales dropped more than 10,000 units from the previous year.

since the G35 was released in July, I think the 4885 units sold is a pretty strong showing. It would be interesting to see what the sales figures fopr 2004 look like.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:57 PM

I'm going to have to pull a Kerry here and flip flop on my statement. Take a look at this page

http://www.infinitinews.com/corporat...33104913.shtml

Looking at the sales figures it's hard to say what was sold. New cars come out about August to September. So I wonder how many of the CYTD sales of the maxima were 2004 models. It is significant that sales dropped more than 10,000 units from the previous year.

since the G35 was released in July, I think the 4885 units sold is a pretty strong showing. It would be interesting to see what the sales figures fopr 2004 look like.
This report is from Feb. of '03...the '04 Max wasn't even out yet. But, as you admitted, its plain to see that the G35 does not outsell the Max.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:26 PM

Okay here is the latest link to the sales figures
http://www.infinitinews.com/corporat...02110916.shtml
Old 06-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Moderator GT-R

Mike
The assend kind of brings to mind the 1956 Ford... Maybe it was 55 or 57 but you get the point.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:27 PM

you are right, the AWD does add almost exactly 300 pounds... but the Maxima is a little more than 100 pounds heavier than the none AWD G35. When I drove the G35x it went from 1/2 a tank to empty to 1/2 a tank (about 350 miles in 2 days) It didn't seem much different depending on the gas in the car... keeping in mind gas weighs about 7lbs per gallon. The max full tank would weigh at least as much as the G35x empty. I don't percieve a difference in performance full or empty on the max, therefore I don't see that the extra 200 pounds (G35x over Max) would affect the performance feel of the car unless there was truely a performance difference. Again, having more weight should actually cause it to be more ready to drop gears to get that weight a moving which the G35x didn't do. (7x18=136lbs in gas).

And not to repeat others, but the sales numbers that nissan publishes speak for themselves. The Max outsells the G35, but the Altima does way outsell the Max. Much like the camry way outsells the avalon. No I am not comparing the max to the avalon (that would be a complete disgrace) but the point is the flagship cars (BMW7, Toyota Avalon, Nissan Max, Infiniti 45, etc.) are meant to be lower volume higher profit cars. It does serve its purposes.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:36 PM

oh... in the Max vs G35x I forgot to mention the mild decrease in rated power on the Max in comp to the G35.

260 torque G35
255 torque Max
Old 06-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Banned

Mike
CAN I GET AN AMEN!!! PREACH ON BRUTHA MIKE...PREACH ON!!!
Old 06-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Banned

As for all the MAXIMA 6TH GEN "Nay-sayers", we MAX fanatics need to just let them be and let them hate all they want. I'm VERY VERY SATISFIED w/ my 04 MAX, and there's nobody out there that can change that, because that's the way that I feel. My opinion. My $30K that I chose to spend. So everyone can throw as many numbers/statistics/metrics/expert opinions @ me as they want... Fact still remains that I LOVE MY MAXIMA!!!

IT'S AN AWESOME CAR IMO!!!
Old 06-05-2004, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by hofb99
Fact still remains that I LOVE MY MAXIMA!!!

I'm with ya !

Bob
Old 06-06-2004, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by SilverBelle04
I'm with ya !

Bob

Same here ... drove the G35 ... parked MAX next to it before I bought ...

I love my Max, and I hope I don't see a billion on the road. Sales #'s don't mean much. The Cam and Afford sell very well so does theTuarus.

But the next best thing is the G.

Besides the G is the lowest car infiniti makes, old I maybe the new is above the G, and we know what the I is based on.

This is the same with the Lexus IS300 and ES300.

RWD doesn't make a car.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:53 PM

i own a VE and VQ 5 speed

if was in the position to buy, i like the G35 sedan 6MT. as stated the G35 is a smaller car. the dimensions remind me a lot of my 3rd gen (which happens to be my favorite) i bought both of my maiximas because they were sporty and had good power (for their time).

i agree with those that say the altima (V6 5SP models) were aimed at some of the maxima crowd. the new platform that the 04+ Maxima and 02+ Altima share if very good and as long as the altima sells well and Max does OK on its own the Maxima will be around. if the Altima is the bread and butter volume car the Maxima is the higher margin lower volume version.

i think the new Maxima is more of a boulevard or long distance "cruiser." mostly because of the increase in size. it still has the power, and handles better than most of its competitiors, (looking across the entire market) so i dont think much has changed in that respect. i have driven both of my maximas from CT to FL and back as well as my mothers 96 Auto. there were times that i wished i had the the conveniece of the automatic when i drove my 2 5sp cars. however the biggest gripe with the automatic is that the gear ratios just didnt match the engine power curves at certain speeds. i would hit the gas and whether the car downshifted or held the gear there was no passing power. i never experienced this with my VE 5sp or VQ 5 sp. this is where the 5SP Auto in the 04 SE max shines for me. 5 gears and shifting is optional, i really love that feature. to be honest if i bought an 04 Maxima i am leaning towards the SE with 5sp auto tranny. (what if somebody does the swap into an auto altima or nissan does it themselves??)

the altima just represents a great bargain. roomy cabin plenty of power (V6) handles fairly well, reasonble $$$.

just as the vehicles evolve so do the buyers and their tastes. i like to look at it as if nissan is trying to put something out there for everbody. i think all 3 of these cars a great in their own respects.if you look in their entire lineup you can find something that will meet your criteria.

drivetrian, amenities, handling, price.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:06 PM

Darren - very good post. I see much of what you are seeing with Nissan.

I especially liked your use of the term 'boulevard or long-distance cruiser'. Every time I look at the '04 Maxima, I find myself trying to decide whether to go cruise the main drag with a smile on my face, or pack for a two week tour of the Rockies. The '04 Maxima just does that to me.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:47 PM
brotherhood of tq

does any1 get the feeling that the g35 4door may be infinty's replacement for out maxima? it would make sense if that where the future of nissans maxima would be headed
Old 06-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
does any1 get the feeling that the g35 4door may be infinty's replacement for out maxima? it would make sense if that where the future of nissans maxima would be headed
I doubt it... Doesn't add up. The G and the MAX are two totally different cars. One's a sportier type whereas the other is for what I like to call, the "chilling" type (but when the power/handling is needed, IT'S THERE! ...and then some!!!)...

RWD vs. FWD; smaller vs. bigger; $$$ vs. $$$, etc...too many differences to justify killing off the MAX for the G. Besides, there are too many MAX loyals out there that I think Nissan would lose a lot of money if they chopped the MAX out of the lineup... Anyone else care to comment further?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:48 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by jbgoodmax
RWD doesn't make a car.
You're correct...it makes a great car.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
You're correct...it makes a great car.
You guys and your RWD obsession. If RWD were all it took to make a car great, we'd have a much different opinion of Pintos, Edsels and Chevy II's. FWD definitely has its place, and it certainly doesn't keep a car from being "great".

Mike
Old 06-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Banned

Yeah, but you can make a Pinto or a Chevy II, scream with a SIMPLE engine swap! Even Edsels have become collectors! As great as the Max is, you can do so much more with a RWD car.

Quick Reply: Still think car mags missed the boat