6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Still think car mags missed the boat

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 03:36 PM

1SICKLEX...This criticism from you about the 6th gen is nothing new. Months ago we heard from you about the Maxima not winning comparison tests...its big and heavy...blah blah blah.

You need to get over it and accept the fact that the Maxima has evolved into a larger "near-luxury" touring car with sporting intentions. Just because it is large doesn't mean Nissan can't advertise the sportiness side of the car. The Maxima is NOT intended to be a Subaru WRX fighter. If I were you, I wouldn't consider buying the new Max.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by motectransam
Car mags really are lost on the Maxima. What other car beats the Maxima in the combo of:

1.) Euro chic style
2.) American car levels of size and equipment for the money
3.) Japanese quality

The Maxima is cross-shopped by:
1.) Grand Prix GTP prospects for its stoplight drag prowess at least among sedans of its price class.
2.) Accord and Camry buyers for its all around goodness.
3.) Avalon buyers thanks to its very roomy interior, especially the back seat, which got Consumer's Reports best ranking.
4.) Audi A4 and Acura TL buyers thanks to its techno style edge and solid performance

Since 1993 to present, I see Maxima ahead of reliability scores against Accord and Camry than the other way around. Even though Camry is ahead this year, CR mentions the Regal, Camry, and Maxima are their top ranked family sedans in reliability.

What other sedan in Maxima's price class offers a 6-speed manual, 5-speed automatic, or 4-speed automatic all in one line? Maxima does.

What other non-Nissan car has the most celebrated engine by Wards Automotive?
Well said motectransam! Couldn't agree w/ you more! BUT...

1) I myself have already been shot down by MAX antagonists who claim that CR is not a viable source for rating vehicles--(all they care about is performance--they completely ignore the "more bang for your buck" philosophy, although it very much applies to 99% of American "consumers"...thus the magazine's namesake)...

2) The VQ35 is celebrated for its power, efficiency and "charisma"... We all know this. But, once Nissan found that they had a good thing, they decided to spread that wealth throughout their Nissan/Infiniti product lineup...you know, the 350Z, Altima, Pathfinder, Murano, G35 s & c, I30, etc...etc...Nissan's whole livelihood hinges on that one dang engine!!! lol So the MAX is not exclusively the best car in this area when it's closest rival (the G) has the same powerhouse... Kinda sucks! But, when it comes down to it, it's a smart move on the car manufacturer's part...

Don't get me wrong! I love my MAX, but you'll be hard-pressed to convince any of these "performance buffs" otherwise! I choose to save my breath and just enjoy the heck out of my MAX!!!

Anyway, just my two cents...
Old 06-14-2004, 05:25 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by hofb99
Dude, I'm just comic relief...because I think your ranting and raving is funny, I'm childish? I think everyone would agree that there's nothing childish w/ that. You're getting too personally wrapped up in all this and it's very obvious that this has gone way past the point of just a debate w/ you. Maybe you should just step away from the computer for a couple of days and come back w/ a fresh perspective...

I'm back...and I still believe that RWD cars handle/perform better than FWD cars!
Old 06-14-2004, 05:34 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The 04 Max handles no better and is no faster than a manaul 4th gen SE Max.
The tranny affects handling now?

I knew IRS had its drawbacks!

Infiniti has it's brand going for it and is based on the sports car 350Z. It's the real deal. They should make the Maxima on this platform. Not a step back on the Altima one.
So rebadge the G35 as a Nissan Maxima?
Old 06-14-2004, 05:40 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
*sigh* If I relied on some magazine writer (most of whom are like high school boys on steroids and extra testosterone) for all my buying recommendations, I'd probably be trying to make the payments on either a C5 Vette or something with the name "Porsche" on the side or maybe a 12-cylinder Bentley Continental.
Or BMW.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:51 AM

10Best of 1990 — Nissan Maxima SE
10Best of 1995 — Nissan Maxima SE
10Best of 1996 — Nissan Maxima SE
5th gen
. . .. . etc etc .. . .
Did I miss something? Where are your stats about the 4th vs. 6th gen? Because it made the 10 best list it handles and accelerates better? Wow...you would think I would be able to tell considering I drive both all the time but it appears that from all the magazine articles you've read you know something I don't, please tell...
Old 06-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by CoolMax

I'm back...and I still believe that RWD cars handle/perform better than FWD cars!
What *** said that FWD beats RWD for handling and performance? I guess I missed it the first time and I refuse read again to look for it.

The fact that NissanHondaToyota can produce premium FWD sedans that can almost hang with a insert your favorite sports sedan or continent of origin here in a couple of categories not withstanding... I would argue that FWD is an automatic disqualification from the "Sports Sedan" competition. Always has been. TL included. But that's just me.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:10 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by bluemaxx
What *** said that FWD beats RWD for handling and performance? I guess I missed it the first time and I refuse read again to look for it.

The fact that NissanHondaToyota can produce premium FWD sedans that can almost hang with a insert your favorite sports sedan or continent of origin here in a couple of categories not withstanding... I would argue that FWD is an automatic disqualification from the "Sports Sedan" competition. Always has been. TL included. But that's just me.
It sounds crazy but it's true!

To sum up the sentiments of an FWD-biased group: your thoughts are on par with auto writers ("most of whom are like high school boys on steroids and extra testosterone"); FWD can handle/perform as well as RWD, it just takes more work or getting used to; FWD performs as well as RWD, around town...whether it performs better at the limits is irrelevant; FWD performs better in inclement weather, giving it the ultimate upper hand over RWD in the depratment of performance/handling.

Feel free to read the entire thread.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by CoolMax
It sounds crazy but it's true!

To sum up the sentiments of an FWD-biased group: your thoughts are on par with auto writers ("most of whom are like high school boys on steroids and extra testosterone"); FWD can handle/perform as well as RWD, it just takes more work or getting used to; FWD performs as well as RWD, around town...whether it performs better at the limits is irrelevant; FWD performs better in inclement weather, giving it the ultimate upper hand over RWD in the depratment of performance/handling.

Feel free to read the entire thread.
Well, everyone gets to have an opinion even if it's flawed.

My opinion? The 2k4 Maxima handles and performs remarkably well...for a heavy FWD sedan. It's roomy enough for 5 adults to pile in and go to lunch and four adults can travel comfortably for long periods. It is genuinely fun to drive, relatively inexpensive to buy and, if it matters to you, you can squeeze it for almost 25 average mpg. It comes with lots of toys, it looks good and chicks dig it. All for less than $400/month. Where is the downside?

What it isn't is a sports sedan. But I like it anyway and it is an adequate sports sedan substitute. Now to be sure; if I didn’t have four children, (two in college, one in day care,) a mortgage, insurance, savings/investments, four cars, cable internet, DSS, Great Dane, utilities, vacations… I’d go sign up for an M5 or E55 or Cayenne or whatever… But for now, why shouldn’t I enjoy my Maxima?
Old 06-15-2004, 06:16 PM

*sigh* (again)

I'm sorry I started this thread. I never iintended it to be hijacked by Max Haters.

Once again, the whole entire point was just to say the mags - in my opinion - missed the boat by giving the Maxima a "drive-by" and not keeping it for a long-term evaluation like they did the G35.

That's all. I didn't start out saying FWD was better than RWD, or that Saabs were better than Daihatsus, or anything else. Just that I thought the mags missed the boat.

There now. Can we end it?

Mike
Old 06-16-2004, 06:15 AM
is invisible

Well, everyone gets to have an opinion even if it's flawed.?
Agreed, but there's a significant difference between fact and opinion. If my opinion is that the world is flat, yet all evidence shows that the world is round, what good is my flawed opinion?
If a car has separate wheels dedicated for steering and drive AND a near 50/50 balance, I find it hard to believe that a car with wheels sharing the steering & drive functions with a 60/40 balance will perform better.

My opinion? The 2k4 Maxima handles and performs remarkably well...for a heavy FWD sedan. It's roomy enough for 5 adults to pile in and go to lunch and four adults can travel comfortably for long periods. It is genuinely fun to drive, relatively inexpensive to buy and, if it matters to you, you can squeeze it for almost 25 average mpg. It comes with lots of toys, it looks good and chicks dig it. All for less than $400/month. Where is the downside??
Agreed. That has always been the case with the Maxima - among the best bangs for the buck.
The downside arises when people think they got more than what they paid for - it is not better than cars costing much more.

What it isn't is a sports sedan. But I like it anyway and it is an adequate sports sedan substitute. Now to be sure; if I didn’t have four children, (two in college, one in day care,) a mortgage, insurance, savings/investments, four cars, cable internet, DSS, Great Dane, utilities, vacations… I’d go sign up for an M5 or E55 or Cayenne or whatever… But for now, why shouldn’t I enjoy my Maxima?
Agreed, it's not a real sports-sedan, just a great substitute.

I'm not telling you not to enjoy it...just don't believe you're actually driving that M5/E55.