6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

new SL a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

new SL a lemon?

Has anyone with an '04 had trouble starting this beautiful car? Three times my SL has simply refused to start for no known reason. Three times the mechanics have not been able to figure out what is wrong though they gave me a new starter after the second failure to start. It's in the shop again. (It started all three times after about an hour of sitting)
Old 06-12-2004, 12:01 PM

bobbie - You need to change the title of your post to 'MY new SL a lemon?'. The new SL is definitely not a lemon. It is, for me, the best bang for the buck available anywhere.

In fact, I don't recall another post about starting problems with the SL this year.

In order that others here may be of some assistance, could you be more specific with the symptoms?

Does the starter turn the motor over, but the motor just won't catch?

Do you hear even a 'click' or anything when you turn the key to start the car?

Is the problem more prevalent in cold or hot weather? When the engine is warm (been run recently) or cold? When the car has been sitting after a short trip? Or a long trip? Sitting for how long? Car sitting on an incline or level?

Could the battery be draining while sitting due to a short somewhere? Was the battery fully charged when the problem occured (the dealer should have checked this immediately). Could there be corrosion preventing a good connection at the battery terminals?

I once went thru three batteries, three generators (predecessor to the alternator), and had my car catch fire three times before a mechanic finally found a ground wire between the engine block and the car frame had broken. I don't think that ground wire even exists in todays cars.

I don't think vapor lock is a problem with fuel injection, either. But there could be an intermittent short almost anywhere; even in the steering column anti-theft wiring.

There are so many possibilities involved that any symptoms/situations/conditions you can give us might help.

This is, as you sad, a beautiful car. I know a starting problem is exasperating. It can even be infuriating. I am somewhat disappointed your dealer has not been able to find the cause. But don't give up on it. If they can't fix the problem, at some point, you may have to use the lemon law and swap it for a new one.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:56 PM

I had starting problems with my SE about 3000 miles after owning it.

What are you exact symptoms? Does the car have power when you try to crank. (like the radio works, and the lights and all that?)

Is it cranking?

It really sounds like whoever is working on your car doesn't have much of an idea how to diagnosis and fix a car. There are hundreds of things to check before the the starter.

My problem was a loose fuel pump connector at the fuse panel. I've never looked into the system myself. (that's what a warranty is for ) However, I would assume that the system operates much like a Chrysler ASD, as everything would power up in the on position, but as soon as you went to start, everything died and the car wouldn't even crank. With a little bit of fiddling around, opeing the hood, slamming the door... whatever, the car would start again, like there was no problem.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:22 PM

no trouble with mine...just too much tire noise.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 PM

I have an 04 se, it had similar problems but need to know more info about whats happening, any codes??
Old 04-30-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by CWatson
I have an 04 se, it had similar problems but need to know more info about whats happening, any codes??
This is a 6 year old thread you just brought back from the dead dude...