6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

'04 SL snafu w/ new dealer (very long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 12:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

'04 SL snafu w/ new dealer (very long)

I live in Goodyear, AZ. There is a new Nissan dealership in Avondale, AZ.

Two Weeks ago, I purchased a 2004 Maxima SL. Prior to taking delivery, I pointed out some things which needed to be addressed before I took posession of the car. Namely there was dirty shoe prints on the leater in the back. I guess some don't pay attention to their kids at a new car dealership.

Upon taking delivery of the car (around 9pm at night) I was told that I would need to bring the car back because it was too dark to finish the car and the area of the deaelership where the detailers work was not well lit. Fine no problem, I'll bring it back.

I stop by the deaelership the next day after work and showed the service manager what needed to be completed on the car.

I pointed out that the detailer was not able to get off all of the shipping tape that was on the molding that runs alond each side on the top of the car. The service manager takes one look at that and asks who did it.. I said it was so and so (who turned out to be one of the lot attendants) The service manager said that he should not have taken off the PROTECTIVE coating on the molding and that they would replace both pieces as warranty work. Ok, sh*t happens, no problem.

Next I point out that the seats in the back were not cleaned and that they mearly washed all of the black stuff from the shoe prints in the fine cracks in the leather. He says they'll detail the car and take care of it. I pointed out a few other minor things, and the car is off to be detailed.

About 45 minutes later, the detailer returns with the car. I noticed a nice 2"-3" scratch on the top of the center part of the steering wheel cover. The service manager says something to the detailer, the detailer says he can get it out and proceeds to wipe some sort of solvent on it. What an idiot! So now there is a large discolored circular pattern on the top of the thing. The service manager says that they'll cover that as warranty work, and he's going to need to order a new steering wheel (is that necessarry?)

Ok, so I am planning to take my car back to the dealer the dealership the following Saturday to get the warranty work done, windows tinted, and XM radio installed.

I phone the dealer the Friday before I am to get the work done. The parts are not in, have to wait for parts. Ok, no problem. next Saturday.

Well next Saturday was today, I called again on Friday and they said that the window tinter will not be there. He does not work on Saturdays. The steering wheel did not come in. Do I want to get the molding replaced and the the few other things done? Yes, see you in the morning.

Alright, I go to the dealer this morning at 7:30am to drop off the car. We go over what I am having done, everything sounds good. Call me when it's done.

I get a call around 3:15, Sirrus satellite is installed, there was a problem with the molding so you're going to need to bring the car back, come on down and get your car. Sirrus what!?!?! I want XM!! The service manager confesses that he does not know much about it and said he would check because the work order say's XM.

I head to the dealer.

Service manager and technician meet with me to tell me what they did. Car has been detailed on the inside, but couldn't be washed because the satellite radio antenna has to sit for 24 hours first.

The technician tells me that they installed Sirrus satellite, and that it should have been XM. Someone in the parts department gave him the wrong box. He then asked me which antenna I want. Well it's a little late for that considering it's already installed. They will not charge me for installing Sirrus today. I said that's a good thing because I am certainly not going to pay for it. I asked the technician if he could just simply change out the modules (not knowing myself if it's that easy) and he said he would take a look and let me know.

45 minutes later, he's back, and said that the XM radio is installed. We go out and look at the car. They show me the molding. It's horrible on the drivers side. It looks like someone took a ball pein hammer to it. So it's got to be replaced. The service manager gives me the bill.. $700 and change. I said I was not going to pay it. I was tolf $469 installed. It was $468.55 for XM radio + the antenna, $10 for some environmental fee, $180 for labor (2 hours) and $43 for tax. After asking the people that told me the price, they only charged me $468.55. No tax, no labor, no environmental fee. I was happy that they took it off, otherwise I was going to have them rip it out.

I inspected the back seats. The dirt from the footprints has not been cleaned. In my opinion the interior of the car was not cleaned at all, *maybe* it was vacuumed.

They said they will detail the car when I bring it back. Wait, when I bring it back I am getting the windows tinted, you can't clean the windows for like 72 hours after tinting. Ok, well it will get cleaned sometime.

Going into week 3 with the car, I still need to have the driver side molding replaced, steering wheel center replaced, interior detailed, read right speaker grill replaced (it's discolored in a few spots). There is also a rattling sound from the right side of the car on the inside. I can only hear it;s coming from the right side. I took the technician on a ride and he said it was coming from the dashboard, but that getting to it would be tough. The service manager asked me if he identified where the sound was coming from, I said he did but I think the technician is just dismissing it. Service manager is going to check it out.

Anyone have any similar problems? Do dealers make money on warranty work?

I totally love the car. It's my 2nd Maxima. I formerly owned a 2000 SE, and traded it in for a 2002 Volvo V70 2.4T wagon, and then dumped the Volvo for a new Maxima.

Some lady at the dealership was nice enough to give me a Maxima keychain, Maxima hat and a pair of Diamondbacks tickets, she was also the one to knock off the $250 from the invoice from the XM install.

Does anyone else have faxtory XM installed? I am dissapointed that it does not display the channel name or track name on the information center. Is this normal? Does anyone have XM with the navigation system? Is it different?

Sorry to rant for so long. Like I said, I totally love the car. I think if I could do it over, I would have gotten a 6 speed w/ navigation instead of an automatic.

Smalldog
Old 06-13-2004, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Smalldog

Does anyone else have faxtory XM installed? I am dissapointed that it does not display the channel name or track name on the information center. Is this normal? Does anyone have XM with the navigation system? Is it different?

Smalldog
It displays all that information. Check your manual for how to customize it to your liking and display the various items you want. There is a character limition that you will have to live with.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dealerships Need Work

I would agree with you completely. I asked my dealer service advisor to install the satellite radio and he said I would need to check with Nissan???? I told him he was Nissan. He confessed he didn't know anything about it and I would need to go elsewhere.

The dealership also repaired my turn signal mechanism. It worked perfectly for a day or two, then reverted back to its previously poor operation.

They looked into a few other problems only to screw up and create new problems. To make matters worse, I fear that the build quality of my first year car is a little questionable. Therefore I might be spending ALOT of time dealing with these people.

As a sidenote, my firstyear 350Z has been perfect. No problems, issues, or concerns. It hasn't required anything but an oil change.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:17 AM

You haven't had the window grease streaks, or the tire feathering problem with your 350Z?