6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Those of you with aftermarket stereos...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Those of you with aftermarket stereos...

When I had mine installed, I totally forgot to have them put in the PAC Swi-X steering wheel control. Do you guys think this is something that I could install myself? I could buy it on Ebay for a lot cheaper than having the installer get it, and I would assume you disconnect and reconnect some wires, and then program the module with the stereo wireless remote, then tuck the module away somewhere. I'd really like to save some money by doing it myself, just wondering if the steering wheel column is something I just shouldn't mess with because of the airbag. Your thoughts are appreciated!

By the way, got those reverse glow gauges you see on Ebay in the mail today, I'm going to try to install those this evening. Should look good with the new blue (hopefully) info screen!
Old 06-23-2004, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by chrisaust
When I had mine installed, I totally forgot to have them put in the PAC Swi-X steering wheel control. Do you guys think this is something that I could install myself? I could buy it on Ebay for a lot cheaper than having the installer get it, and I would assume you disconnect and reconnect some wires, and then program the module with the stereo wireless remote, then tuck the module away somewhere. I'd really like to save some money by doing it myself, just wondering if the steering wheel column is something I just shouldn't mess with because of the airbag. Your thoughts are appreciated!

By the way, got those reverse glow gauges you see on Ebay in the mail today, I'm going to try to install those this evening. Should look good with the new blue (hopefully) info screen!
When I spoke with Crutchfield, they told me that the module doesn't work with the 2004 Maxima. You might want to check again on that. If it is compatible, the self install shouldn't be too difficult. Let me know how it goes. If it works out, I'd love to give it a try as well.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:12 PM

That's interesting that they said it wont work... I'm gonna hold off on it for now, maybe in the near future I'll have them put it in... but I see no reason why it woulnd't work, their steerign wheel controls should be the same as everyone else's, in theory. Question though, where does the transmitter on this thing go to activate the aftermarket stereo? there has to be something pointing at the stereo, to simulate the wireless remote, right? how does that part work?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:27 PM
*moderator*

My installer said it shouldn't be a problem to install it and make it work, he said he might have to do some jimmy rigging but he could make it happen.
Not sure how it works, maybe it's RF or something? I'm no pro that's why they're doing the install...
Old 06-23-2004, 10:12 PM

As far as I know, it works by IR. It would have to since head units have IR remote controls. The problem with this is that you would have to mount the transmitter somewhere in the passenger cabin where it would be facing the head unit as chrisaust mentioned. The install for the transmitter may be tricky to make it inconspicuous.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:42 PM

We are an authorized PAC audio dealer as well. That new Nissan audio input is now shipping. It allows you to have an auxillary input to your stereo for an IPOD, Pocket PC, etc etc.

Regards,
Bryan
bryan@berktechnology.com
Old 06-24-2004, 03:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

aftermarket radio..

do you guys know anyone in the east coast that can install after market radio in my car.. and how much did you pay for it..
Old 06-24-2004, 05:59 AM

where can I purchase that aux input?
Old 06-24-2004, 07:02 AM

Direct from Pac-Audio tech support:

Subject: RE: AAI-NIS SWI-X output is not supported.

Sorry I must of missed your subject title. The Swi-x output wire won't work
for the Maxima's only for the G35 and 350Z. The reason for that is just the
difference in the radios and how they operate.

Thank you,
Joe Riggs
Tech Support

PAC
1502 S. Santa Fe St.
Santa Ana, CA 92705
www.pac-audio.com
714-835-3022
800-854-3133
Old 06-24-2004, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by blend45
do you guys know anyone in the east coast that can install after market radio in my car.. and how much did you pay for it..
Are you looking to install just a head unit? If so, you could do it yourself. I did mine and it's not too difficult. Just requires some time and patience.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_RI
where can I purchase that aux input?
Just shoot me an email. We'll add them to our website hopefully by the end of the month.

Regards,
Bryan
bryan@berktechnology.com
Old 06-27-2004, 11:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by cobymoby
We are an authorized PAC audio dealer as well. That new Nissan audio input is now shipping. It allows you to have an auxillary input to your stereo for an IPOD, Pocket PC, etc etc.

Regards,
Bryan
bryan@berktechnology.com
Is there any way this will work with a car that already has factory sat radio installed? I have XM and would love to have an extra set of RCA line inputs...
Old 06-27-2004, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Is there any way this will work with a car that already has factory sat radio installed? I have XM and would love to have an extra set of RCA line inputs...
If you already have a aftermarket HU then you are stuck with what it offers.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:59 AM

Finally got and installed the AAI-NIS (that new Nissan input). Sounds so much better than the tape adapter. Still trying to figure out the best place to run the audio cable. Got it snaked up through the cup holder for now and plugged into my IPOD. I'm thinking of installing two sets of rca jacks for the two inputs right next to the cigarette power adapters. This will make for easy access.

Anyway, it was really easy to install. Think I'll order the OEM1 next and add a second amp with sub.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by cobymoby
If you already have a aftermarket HU then you are stuck with what it offers.
Got the factory Bose HU, just added factory XM satellite radio kit from Grubb's (I think).
Old 06-28-2004, 02:56 PM
*moderator*

[QUOTE=maizor]Finally got and installed the AAI-NIS (that new Nissan input). Sounds so much better than the tape adapter. Still trying to figure out the best place to run the audio cable. Got it snaked up through the cup holder for now and plugged into my IPOD. I'm thinking of installing two sets of rca jacks for the two inputs right next to the cigarette power adapters. This will make for easy access.

I would run the wire in through the bottom of the center console. In the very bottom (under the tray) there's a power adapter also with a small door to run wires etc. That's what I plan on doing when they finish my install this week.
Also in the front of the armrest theres a gap specifically to run wires etc when it is closed and you want to have your IPOD sitting in the cup holder. Or you can hide ther whole deal inside for the clean look...just my 2 cents!!
I'll post pics soon...
Old 06-29-2004, 02:58 PM

We are now shipping out the latest version of the AAI-NIS audio input adaptor. The first batch had some bugs, these are the revised AAI-NIS product.

$89.95 shipped, this deal will last until 7/15/04.

Regards,
Bryan
bryan@berktechnology.com
Old 07-01-2004, 01:11 PM

so if i buy this product will the steering wheel volume work??? thanks
Old 07-01-2004, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_RI
so if i buy this product will the steering wheel volume work??? thanks
Yes, that control will work fine. Just note that the inputs are line level in, so some devices will play quiet. I have to put my IPod at near max volume.