6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Writing an email to coorporation Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 04:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Writing an email to coorporation Nissan

Well, I'm starting to write an email to coorporate nissan detailing my experience with my local dealer and listing all of the problems that I'm having. For example, I've currently got an appointment for checking my rotors tomorrow morning at 8. The only problem is that I've got 11.4K on the car and the warranty is for 12K/1year.... after they turn the rotors (which they will do first), my rotors will undoubtedly warp faster. Will they then cover the replacement rotors as I first reported the problem under 12K miles?

Anyway, the only email address that I can find is nnaconsumeraffairs@nissan-usa.com . I'd rather send it to someone like a "regional manager" or something. I'd like to let them know how I feel and that I would like some answers, since the "satisfaction survey" is pretty useless (last time I was in [a couple of weeks ago], they called me and specifically asked me to fill out all excellants so they can get credit...). Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2004, 05:14 AM

Great idea!! I actually wrote a letter about the unhappy experience I'm having with the Maxima. I placed the letter into the survey they sent. It's been over a month now and no response. I'm going to write another letter maybe a few more people should do the same.

This is an article I found from freshalloy.com>> http://www.tennessean.com/business/a...nt_ID=53481951
Old 07-07-2004, 09:22 AM

I have also had many problems with my new 04 Maxima. I have filled out every survey they have sent and followed up with formal complaints by phone. I'm not sure they do any good. I too was told to fill out surveys with all "excellent" ratings by three different people at the dealership. I will try the email route. Thanks for the eddress.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:38 PM

A letter is probably better.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:47 PM

Keep in mind Nissan is probably swamped with complaints on the new pickups, quest, and altimas built in Mississippi. I hear that plant has high turnover and major quality control issues.

Maxima problems are the least of their worries.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:25 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Keep in mind Nissan is probably swamped with complaints on the new pickups, quest, and altimas built in Mississippi. I hear that plant has high turnover and major quality control issues.

Maxima problems are the least of their worries.
That could be true but you have to understand how this stuff actually works. 1-It comes down to risk exposure for legal rammifications
2-Expected failure rates - mean time to failure stats from manufacturing/engineering
3-Best bang for the buck - what helps the most customers the fastest
4-What are customers complaining about the loudest
5-What are customers complaining about the most

Interspersed in there are discussions and teams to address quality escapes so this doesn't have to be seen again; quality improvement efforts, quick fixes, engineering changes, legal-approved support letters so that the message is consistent and so on.

They'll make things better. But unless you're spending a lot of $$ with Nissan and making the complaint, it's tough to have a lot of impact. Get enough people from a given dealership with significant sales and corporate Nissan will listen. Or, if enough individual Maxima owners complain about the same problem, not just a lot of Maxima owners complaining about various problems, then that problem will likely be addressed.

How do you beat this? Well, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. You have a lot more pull in a large group. 2, 3, 50, individual .org threads about brake problems are not the same as 50 people signing a letter or petition sent to a regional manager. If you don't get the answer you want, escalate. It took me 3 years to get a new spare tire from Dodge. Even then, it was only because some guy who "got it" took over as the service manager at Bell Dodge. Corporate Dodge didn't give a shiet about my complaint and rightly so. It's not worth their time. I had no pull with Bell Dodge as a college student so they did nothing until a guy came in and decided that he cared about the little guy. Dodge couldn't have cared less.

You just have to find the right person to champion your cause and make it more cost effective for them to fix your problem than to ignore it.

Cheers,

JK
Old 07-08-2004, 02:45 PM
SuPeRmOd

rotors, I read on here that the coverage is extended when replaced (maybe trued too?) ask them about it. They must tru first then replace. This is getting frustrating with all the quality issues that came with a price hike. I'm afraid the only absolutely effective way to solve a lot of the issuses is with a class action suit. That would be a huge headache.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima80
rotors, I read on here that the coverage is extended when replaced (maybe trued too?) ask them about it. They must tru first then replace. This is getting frustrating with all the quality issues that came with a price hike. I'm afraid the only absolutely effective way to solve a lot of the issuses is with a class action suit. That would be a huge headache.
Turns out it was my front rotors being out of round. They turned them and all is well again.

I specifically asked about the policy for any future rotor work and if I had a problem beyond 12,000 miles who would be responsible. They said it would absolutley be me. I wasn't too happy about this, since after they shaved them there is less material there and will probably happen more quickly next time (I have 11.4K miles on the car).

I also asked why my rotors might be out of round with only 11K miles.. my service manager explained to me that this can happen if I rode the brakes while going down several steep mountains in a row or if the brakes were hot while driving through a puddle, etc.

After hearing about the turn-before-replacing policy, a friend advised me to get the rotors turned and then do a couple of 80mph stops on the interstate and then take them back to get replaced before my 12,000 mile warranty expires. That doesn't quite sit with me morally though, but neither does my dealer experience.

Also, I've heard about a front brake/rotor TSB? Anyone know any more info about this?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2004, 03:07 AM
SuPeRmOd

exactly what I was going to suggest, but the moral thing and if it doesn't quite work enough. The way these Nissan rotors sound, you don't even have to drive to have them warp. They're cheap. Brakes are supposed to make the car stop and if braking downhill or suddenly warps them, they are low quality. So do you really want another set? At least you'll have longe to save for good ones.

I've been trying to make mine last longer by down-shifting, or coasting in nuetral to a stop. But then I wonder, what if I'm only making them last to 12,001 miles? I love this car so much, but the cheap short-cuts by Nissan really hurt.

Let's seriously get a mass letter sent, or email signed by us all.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:57 AM

If you do your friend's trick, it may visibly damage the rotors such that the dealer can tell you've been hard on them (if there is serious wear to the metal this may be the case, but I don't know). Or, you may not be able to warp them that quickly, and now you've got hurt brakes!

My brakes have always seemed to last longer than most people (I don't have a 6th gen though), because I brake early and I brake gently over as great a distance as possible, and I brake evenly.

In regards to contacting nissan don't even for a second bother sending an email. Emails are junk if you want anything useful accomplished. Send them a letter. I sent a letter to Nissan early this year I guess it was about ignition coils and I managed to get them top pay me $320 for new coils, when I was well past warranty. Send a letter, and the wording of it has to be impeccable. If you turn them away from you in the first sentence you will get nothing. A finely crafted letter has not only your concerns, but also some compliments to the recipient. You don't want to fight them, but rather encourage them to see things your way.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:35 AM

Got a different story from my dealership. I post this at another thread. Here it is: Yesterday I went to the dealership to set an appointment for new rotors. That's the next step of the process. I asked about the brakes, they told me when they replace the rotors they are replacing the brakes too. I was happy they are doing it the right way. I also asked about the 12,000 miles thing, he told me if I had problems with the rotors after 12,000 miles, the brake would also be replaced no matter what the mileage. He basically told me the rotors and brakes go hand and hand. Let's say the rotors have no defects but you think the brakes are bad and want them replaced, 12K miles will be in affect.

Oh, he also asked how my struts are doing, he read my mind. He told me to hold off because they are re-designing the new struts and should be coming soon.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Maxidriver
Got a different story from my dealership. I post this at another thread. Here it is: Yesterday I went to the dealership to set an appointment for new rotors. That's the next step of the process. I asked about the brakes, they told me when they replace the rotors they are replacing the brakes too. I was happy they are doing it the right way. I also asked about the 12,000 miles thing, he told me if I had problems with the rotors after 12,000 miles, the brake would also be replaced no matter what the mileage. He basically told me the rotors and brakes go hand and hand. Let's say the rotors have no defects but you think the brakes are bad and want them replaced, 12K miles will be in affect.

Oh, he also asked how my struts are doing, he read my mind. He told me to hold off because they are re-designing the new struts and should be coming soon.
Wow, good info. I really wish there was another Nissan dealer within 50 miles of my town... my dealer (both a Chrylser and Nissan dealer) has a pretty bad service rep.

Anyway, I emailed the nnaconsumeraffairs address and got a prompt reply stating that someone will contact me within 24-48 hours, and with a phone number to call in case it was an emergency. Well, this morning I got another email from a rep who said that he would investigate my concerns and report back to me within 24-48 hours. Hope it continues to go well...