6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

HID's in Foglight??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 07:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HID's in Foglight??

Has anyone done this yet

Does anyone know what type of foglight bulb the 04 max has, I want to install HID's in the fog light, Im sick of looking at the yellow light compared to the hid's
Old 08-19-2004, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by smokinmax
Has anyone done this yet

Does anyone know what type of foglight bulb the 04 max has, I want to install HID's in the fog light, Im sick of looking at the yellow light compared to the hid's

H3 bulb for the fog lights on 04 maxima
Old 08-19-2004, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by smokinmax
Has anyone done this yet

I know you cannot search for the thread but about 1 to 2 months ago there was one about the fog lights color and it was stated by those far more knowledgable than I, that the HID's will not penetrate the fog at all. That of course is the real reason for the yellow color of the FOG LIGHTS. I know that is shouting, but running them when it is not the proper condition causes premature bulb failure and unhappiness from the driver's color perspective. When it is time to turn them on you will really appreciate the yellow light difference.

That summarizes the other thread.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've changed them. We get no fog in Socal, so I have no need for them. The fact that the front headlight assembly had 3 different colors of lights really got to me. Piaa bulbs are a good match for the factory HIDs. WHile you're at it, switch out the turn signal bulbs too. More info on my Cardomain. Let me know if you need help getting to the bulbs.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:59 PM

I Have Piaa Yellow Bulbs In My Max For The Fogs. Gives The Car The Is300 Look
Old 08-19-2004, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 6thGenMax
I Have Piaa Yellow Bulbs In My Max For The Fogs. Gives The Car The Is300 Look
About how much do the piaa yellows cost?
Old 08-20-2004, 05:37 AM

39 shipped on ebay i think i got them for. REAL PIAA's too.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:12 AM
andymax95

I personally don't like the yellow halogen fogs but can't go HId cause like mentioned they won't do sh*t. I'll try the piaa yellows. HOw hard is the install, do you go through the fender well?

Old 08-20-2004, 06:33 AM

hey andy, whats good these days. did you figure out if your keeping the max yet?

the Piaa install wasnt bad at all. although i did it the long way, took the entire headlight out.

im trying to figure out a way to get a city light into the max headlight, like right above the projector kinda right of the blinker where it looks like a light bulb should be but there isnt anything in there.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:29 AM

hey andy, whats good these days. did you figure out if your keeping the max yet?

the Piaa install wasnt bad at all. although i did it the long way, took the entire headlight out.

im trying to figure out a way to get a city light into the max headlight, like right above the projector kinda right of the blinker where it looks like a light bulb should be but there isnt anything in there.
Thats the DRL bulb location. Standard equipment on Canadian cars to meet increased saftey regulations here. Probably elsewhere in the world too, like Europe.

CM.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:30 AM

HMMMMM. PERFECT. CANADIANMOFO. Can you send me a picture at night of them DRL bulbs lit and maybe a picture during the day. i may just have to somehow get ahold of them headlight housings just for that reason in HID or somehow get a city light drilled and sealed 110% in there.

maybe just have that DRL location lit up just alittle like the mercedes. looks very nice.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:57 AM

The bulbs are a pain to install. I installed mine with the headlamp unit on took about an hour. I have a brand new set of PIAA yellow bulbs if anyone is interested. Name a price and we'll go from there.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:44 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Edify11
The bulbs are a pain to install. I installed mine with the headlamp unit on took about an hour. I have a brand new set of PIAA yellow bulbs if anyone is interested. Name a price and we'll go from there.
why are you selling the yellows? I just placed an order for H3 ions and whites for my corners, reverses, and licence before you posted. I'm just going to pay the dealer to install all of them with my alarm shock sensor add-on.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima80
why are you selling the yellows? I just placed an order for H3 ions and whites for my corners, reverses, and licence before you posted. I'm just going to pay the dealer to install all of them with my alarm shock sensor add-on.
I already have the plasma H3 bulbs for foglights. I originally bought the ion just in case. Which whites did you get for the other lights? If the bulbs are tinted blue, you'll be able to see the blue tint right through the rear light assembly for the reverse lights.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:27 AM

HMMMMM. PERFECT. CANADIANMOFO. Can you send me a picture at night of them DRL bulbs lit and maybe a picture during the day. i may just have to somehow get ahold of them headlight housings just for that reason in HID or somehow get a city light drilled and sealed 110% in there.

maybe just have that DRL location lit up just alittle like the mercedes. looks very nice.

PM me with your email address and I'll see what I can do.

If you had the housings out of the vehicle it would be simple to install a city light. Personally I'd just a couple bright LED's. Drill a hole, then silicone them in. You'd never have to change them after that. And if you really really wanted to you could still pop out the silicone plug.

Alternatively, the bulb for the DRL is an 1157 if I'm not mistaken. There should be plenty of aftermarket alternatives in coloured bulbs and various wattages. The drivers side is accessable by removing the air intake for clearance. The passenger side however is more work. Either remove the entire front bumper...or the service tech said that he could remove the windshield washer reservior to get access to the bulb. The fill spout is in the way otherwise.

CM.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:48 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Edify11
I already have the plasma H3 bulbs for foglights. I originally bought the ion just in case. Which whites did you get for the other lights? If the bulbs are tinted blue, you'll be able to see the blue tint right through the rear light assembly for the reverse lights.
I didn't think about the blue showing through. I ordered the PIAA Xtreme White. Did you use them anyway? I'm not sure what else to use except stock. Is the blue visible for the cornering lights?

Oh yeah, how is your RSB? Do you experience more oversteer now?