6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Maxima ?? Lowered???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 07:13 AM

Maxima ?? Lowered???

Has anyone installed after-market springs? I would love to see pictures and hear some feedback regarding your satisfaction.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Watch out. Some people have reported short strut life with lowering springs. There are currently (to my knowledge) no aftermarket struts available for the 04-05's yet.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:11 AM

I believe I was the first .org member to install em and post pics. Steve from SWA said it was the first set ordered from him. Anyways my shocks make some noises and ride a lil rough now but its nothing compared to my old car. of course im going to replace the struts when they make em but for now its really not that bad.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:30 AM
andymax95

The dealer reported to me that my strut is blown. The drop looks good and all but without aftermarket struts the ride will degress pretty quickly

Old 09-04-2004, 09:38 PM
*moderator*

I've been lowered since last Nov. struts still holding strong (knock on wood)
The ride is good, a bit stiffer but good, and it looks oh so much better!!!!
Old 09-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Eibach

Hey Guys, I have had the RSB from Stillen and I just added the Eibach springs one week ago. Car handles much better but is a little bumper on city streets, tolerable. I still feel like I need the front sway bar but I'm a little picky about cornering. My wife thinks I'm crazy. Anybody got any leads on the front sway bar. I'll let everyone know how my struts hold-up.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Maxima of the Month Winner

I put the Eibachs on last November and have had no problems with my struts so far. The ride is stiffer than stock, but thats the way it is when you reduce the wheel travel by 2 inches in the front and 1 inch in the back.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/04redopmax
Old 09-19-2004, 03:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 04RedOpMax
I put the Eibachs on last November and have had no problems with my struts so far. The ride is stiffer than stock, but thats the way it is when you reduce the wheel travel by 2 inches in the front and 1 inch in the back.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/04redopmax
That looks very sharp.

I'll be lowering mine for next summer. But i'm hoping that someone is selling aftermarket struts by then. The front wheel gap bothers the heck out of me and is the #1 thing that i don't like on my Max.

Bob
Old 09-19-2004, 07:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

That is my 1# thing to it drives me crazy!
Old 09-19-2004, 02:57 PM

I'm with you guys on the wheel gap, I couldn't stand it either. I'm willing to put up with a lot just to get that "lowered look" (like the harsh ride).

Since I also modified my suspension to lower the car another inch (Front & back), I may have the lowest 04' around, unless some knucklehead has cut their springs. I'm so low in the front that the tires are wearing a hole in the plastic wheel liner, right on the bump behind the lights.
But, like they say, that's the price you pay for being cool!
Old 09-19-2004, 06:31 PM
*moderator*

04RedOpMax,

I noticed in the pic you have almost no gap in the front. Even with the springs in there is still a bit of a gap, and it still bugs the crap out of me. So what else did you do to get the front down, becuase I'm obviously not going to hack the springs...
Old 09-19-2004, 07:31 PM

I would also like to know how you got it lower in the front. It still kinda bothers me, I hope someone comes out with some coilovers for our cars soon.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:51 PM

bump! for an answer to the question above. Man that looks nice!
Old 09-20-2004, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
04RedOpMax,I noticed in the pic you have almost no gap in the front. Even with the springs in there is still a bit of a gap, and it still bugs the crap out of me. So what else did you do to get the front down, becuase I'm obviously not going to hack the springs...
OK, I'll explain. But first, the disclaimer: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! I would also like to add: YOU SAW IT HERE FIRST!

Front: I drilled another set of holes in the front struts (where the hub assembly is held on by the two 14mm bolts) one inch higher up on the strut bracket. To do this, I had to extend the bracket (at the top hole) by welding on two pieces of steel. Here is another disclaimer: DO NOT WELD ON YOUR STRUTS. They are filled with oil under pressure and could explode (this is stamped right on the strut!). I did it by welding quickly and having a 5 gallon bucket of water close by.

Back: I fabricated a bracket and welded it to the rear spring perch (12mm bolt). This bracket moved the rear hub/spindle up another inch higher up from it's original position. By moving both the front and back hub/spindle assemblies UP on the suspension, it effectively LOWERED the car, without sacrificing any wheel travel or stiffening the ride further.

This is the simple explaination for the mods and will be hard to duplicate without the services of a machinist and a welder. If you all are still interested in seeing more, I could post some pics.

I think these modifications are unique and may not ever have been done before (on any kind of car). What do you guys think?
Old 09-21-2004, 11:37 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by 04RedOpMax
OK, I'll explain. But first, the disclaimer: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! I would also like to add: YOU SAW IT HERE FIRST!

Front: I drilled another set of holes in the front struts (where the hub assembly is held on by the two 14mm bolts) one inch higher up on the strut bracket. To do this, I had to extend the bracket (at the top hole) by welding on two pieces of steel. Here is another disclaimer: DO NOT WELD ON YOUR STRUTS. They are filled with oil under pressure and could explode (this is stamped right on the strut!). I did it by welding quickly and having a 5 gallon bucket of water close by.

Back: I fabricated a bracket and welded it to the rear spring perch (12mm bolt). This bracket moved the rear hub/spindle up another inch higher up from it's original position. By moving both the front and back hub/spindle assemblies UP on the suspension, it effectively LOWERED the car, without sacrificing any wheel travel or stiffening the ride further.

This is the simple explaination for the mods and will be hard to duplicate without the services of a machinist and a welder. If you all are still interested in seeing more, I could post some pics.

I think these modifications are unique and may not ever have been done before (on any kind of car). What do you guys think?
Wow. sounds too involved for me...I'll stick with the gap....
Old 09-22-2004, 12:12 PM

I kinda thought that's how it would be, but you guy's wanted to know. It was a lot of work, just to get another inch lower, but it was worth it just for the "look".
The whole thing was an experiment. I only did it because I thought I could and it was a personal challenge to test my ideas and skills. If it didn't work out, or if I want to raise the car back up, I can just put everthing back to the stock position.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:01 PM
*moderator*

Thanks for letting us know, maybe someone out there is into it!!!