6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Anyone have "Nissan Wear & Use Guide"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 03:08 PM

Anyone have "Nissan Wear & Use Guide"?

This is the guide used at lease-end to determine if your car has more than "normal" wear and tear, or if you have unacceptable stuff on it, and therefore whether Nissan wants to charge you for specific items.

Unfortunately, they don't normally send it to you until 90 days before your lease ends.

I know from my BMW leases that, for instance, you have to have a certain amount of tread remaining on your tires, and that they must be "at least equivalent to OEM tires", meaning that only certain brands are acceptable. I'd like to know now, before I buy stuff like tires and so on, what is and is not acceptable.

If anyone has a copy and can post it, I'd appreciate it. If not, I'll request one from Nissan and make it available here.

Thanks -

Mike
Old 10-03-2004, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
This is the guide used at lease-end to determine if your car has more than "normal" wear and tear, or if you have unacceptable stuff on it, and therefore whether Nissan wants to charge you for specific items.

Unfortunately, they don't normally send it to you until 90 days before your lease ends.

I know from my BMW leases that, for instance, you have to have a certain amount of tread remaining on your tires, and that they must be "at least equivalent to OEM tires", meaning that only certain brands are acceptable. I'd like to know now, before I buy stuff like tires and so on, what is and is not acceptable.

If anyone has a copy and can post it, I'd appreciate it. If not, I'll request one from Nissan and make it available here.

Thanks -

Mike
woah, are you kidding me about the tires? I have a lease 2K Max and I had to replace all 4 POS Potenza tires for some Continental tires that are leaps and bounds better.

my lease ends in December now, and Nissan never sent me anything about acceptable wear and tear.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
woah, are you kidding me about the tires? I have a lease 2K Max and I had to replace all 4 POS Potenza tires for some Continental tires that are leaps and bounds better.

my lease ends in December now, and Nissan never sent me anything about acceptable wear and tear.
No, I'm not kidding at all. You are supposed to receive the Guide 60-90 days prior to the end of your lease. It spells out the things that are considered "normal", and the things they will charge you extra for (usually stuff like dents, torn upholstery, cracks in your windshield, etc.). A company Nissan contracts with will inspect your car to determine any charges you owe.

BMW is the only other mfr. I've leased from, and they have specific guidelines, like door dings must be 1/2" diameter or less, tread must be 3/32 or more, etc., etc. A few years ago I had to replace a windshield in a 740i because it had a some little pits and a "star" where a rock hit it. Fortunately, I got my insurance company to pay for that $750 puppy.

But as for tires, almost all mfr.'s require that the car have tires that are "equivalent to the ones supplied by the mfr.". That's to keep you from returning the car with some kind of cheapo tires that would adversely affect the value of the car.

When you get your Guide, please share it with the forum.

Mike
Old 10-04-2004, 09:23 AM
ignotum per ignotius

Excessive wear for NMAC is:
-Any scratches that are to the metal
-Scratches longer than 2" that can't be polished out
-More the two bumper scratches longer than 2", or wider than 1/8"
-4 or more significant chips on one panel, that are to the metal
-Dents with damaged paint
-Dents more than 2" in diameter that can't be repaired with paintless dent repair
-Any electrical part that fails to operate as the result of abuse
-Cosmetic damage on wheels greater than 2" (or any damage that affects safety)
-Tires with less than 1/8" tread at lowest point or sidewall damage
-Tires that dont match factory load and speed ratings
-Windshields with any form of star or crack
-Illegal tint
-Interior (ground in stains, holes, tears, burns)
-Sub-par previous body shop repairs
-Structural damage