6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Heater Core gurgling Noise/TSB(NTB03-072)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 11:02 AM

Heater Core gurgling Noise/TSB(NTB03-072)

2004 SE dpp 8K miles (9xx VIN) here.

Just today I started hearing a weird noise coming from behind the dash when I change the mode of my heater. It's really hard to explain, it almost sounds like a 'squeak' or when you would rub a balloon with your hand. These are pretty poor examples but I found this TSB:

NTB03-072 - If you confirm that "air can be heard circulating in the heater system".

It really doesn't sound like air and only makes a brief noise when I change the mode. Has anyone else heard this before? If so does it make a constant sound or only when you change the mode?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-13-2004, 03:11 PM

I had this fixed on my last service. I had two problems. First was a gurgling noise and that was what I wanted fixed. It took them two hours work the bubbles out but they did it. I also had a 'squeak' that I couldn't pinpoint. It did sound like air 'leaking' under intense pressure. It would come and go as the air kicked on and off. Now that I think about it, it may be gone also. Since my wife drives the car 99% of the time, I'll check with her.

-Robert
Old 12-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Heater core noise

I had a loud whirring noise that came from between the front seats and under the dash. It happened most often when the ac was turned up high and one or two ducts were closed.

After demonstrating this to the dealer 3 or 4 times they finall agreed that it was the 'heater core' problem. To fix this problem and change the heater core they need to remove the entire dash board, steering wheel and many other components. I found this out by walking to the rear of the service center shortly before they closed and stumbled upon my car.

Parts damaged during this "repair":
1. 2 steering column moldings scratched.
2. Both C pilar moldings scratched
3. 3 of the 4 scuff plates (w/ maxima logo) scratched.
4. Passenger side lower door molding speaker cover scratched and banged up.
5. Both body side molding (the color matched thing with the 3 steps just outside the door opening running from the front wheel well to the rear wheel well) nicked and scratched at multiple locations.

Be very wary of having this "fixed" if it is only intermittently a problem.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:14 AM

I had the noise, and the fix (and as far as I was aware, the TSB) did not require removal of anything from the interior of the car. Air is simply stuck in the core, and makes a gurgling to whooshing noise, depending on the engine RPM. At lower revs, the air inside just gurgles around a bit. Increase revs and the flow of coolant throught the core produces a bit more of a whooshing noise. The dealer told me that they had the most success bleeding out the air by lifting the front end of the car on the hoist while running the motor. Instead of having them do this, I just parked on a steep hill, facing uphill, and held the engine revs up for about 30 seconds. Problem solved. May or may not work for you, the steeper the hill the better.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:27 AM

I've got the same noise, but I dread taking my car into the dealer, especially for something like this. I personally always seem to come out of the deal with more issues (like Maxycat above).

I'm going to try Manitoba's fix. If it doesn't work, I'll live with the noise.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:22 AM

Liquid moving sound

I've been hearing this strange sound lately coming from underneath my center console between the front seats. I hear it mainly when i brake and accelerate. It sounds like some liquid sloshing back and forth. The only thing I can think of that would be in that area would be the trans. I don't recall hearing this noise until recently. I checked the trans fluid level and its fine. Anyone else notice this on their cars? Oh and I checked under the seats and in the console....I didn't leave a bottle of water in there or anything .
Old 10-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think there's a TSB for this... water in the heater core or something like that. Check the stickies.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:11 AM
You Don't Wanna Play Me

Where do you live? The east coast had a lot of rain recently maybe water leaked in somewhere and is trapped and moving around now.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:27 AM
andymax95

Have you checked the Flux capacitor ?

Old 10-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

uh...fwd means there is no transmission under the center console between the seats
Old 10-26-2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by andymax95
Electrical Engineer here...not gonna get me with that one!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by us024077
uh...fwd means there is no transmission under the center console between the seats

Let me better explain. Its coming from radio consolde area, not under the armrest. More towards the engine bay. So you think its............
Old 10-26-2005, 11:20 AM
andymax95

On cold days pulling out of my driveway I would here something sloshing around that area but I believe its cause my car has been sitting over night and all the liquids have settled and when my car goes down the driveway it cause the liquid to shift around, but it only happens once and then its fine. Is yours reoccuring and while driving or just around start up?

Old 10-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Blinker fluid is low.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Heater core

The water you here is air in the cooling system. You have to get your cooling system bled. I took mine in and they bled it ,I had to take it back. The radiator had a crack in a seam. They ordered and put in a new radiator. That took care of the problem.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by hempster
The water you here is air in the cooling system. You have to get your cooling system bled. I took mine in and they bled it ,I had to take it back. The radiator had a crack in a seam. They ordered and put in a new radiator. That took care of the problem.
Agree, this was brought up in another thread as well, you have air in the lines which allows your cooling system to slosh back and forth. Nothing to worry about, but annoying at most, have the system bled, the fish tank sound will go away...
Old 10-26-2005, 11:26 PM

I too thought there was a TSB on this problem, but looked and could not find one. If you are still under warranty, take it to the dealer and they can flush your cooling system to get the air out. It may take more than one try to fix the problem. I have learned to live with the very slight noise.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...t_II/54351.asp
Old 11-02-2005, 07:12 PM

Same problem here with the water sloshing. If i can deal with the noise should i bother having the dealer mess with it??
Old 11-03-2005, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by glennjr
Same problem here with the water sloshing. If i can deal with the noise should i bother having the dealer mess with it??
Same question here... also wondering if it degrades the efficiency of the heater or AC?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:33 AM

My wife makes fun of the sloshing noise in my car. The other day she said "you're the only person I know who has a water fountain in their car". What a comedian.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I was younger we used to bleed heater cores by taking the radiator cap off, letting the engine run till warm, then turn on the heater. As the water starts circulating the air exits via the radiator cap.

Can this be done with new cars? If so its an easy fix.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:09 PM

I have a constant noise coming from behind the dash. Just a minor noise but none the less it is noise that recently started. I am not going to take it to the dealer b/c Nissan just made their buy back offer on mine. So it is their problem not mine. She is just temporarily mine I guess. I still love this car.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Nyle

Heater core

Hempster is right. I'm having my radiator replaced next week.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:45 PM

this happens often and Manitoba Max nailed it. I just did this with my last week. Open the radiator cap (cold obviously) and run/rev the engine til the gurggling stops and you are golden.

my new noise coming from under the hood is now the "electronic motor mounts" happens when i turn the key to aux power and then when i shut it off...electronic motor mounts...stupid things squeel like a pig.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:45 PM
wsu

McFly

Originally Posted by andymax95
Great Scott Marty!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 03:20 PM

I was at Koeppel this morning and told them I had the gurgling and sloshing water sound on start up but since the techs couldn't duplicate the sound they didn't even attempt to bleed the system. They told me to bring the car when I could leave it overnight so they can hear the noise but i'm going to try some of the fixes listed here first because going to the dealership is a pain for me.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:01 AM

trapped water???

when taking off from a start, it sounds as if there is a gallon of water sloshing around...it sounds like water rushing thru a gutter/downspout except I don't see it pouring to the ground!!!...has anyone heard this same noise(maybe it has nothing to do with the rain, but it is the second time I've heard it and both times after a steady/heavy rain)?? trapped water will, no doubt, cause serious problems down the road
Old 12-01-2005, 10:41 AM

Got mine back from the dealer. The coolant system had a air pocket in it. They said it is common with the 04's. Have not heard the sound since i got it back on Friday.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:24 AM

I wish I had a dealer I could trust...so long as the 'air pocket' is not detrimental to my cars performance I will leave it alone...I will try the suggested "park on a steep hill and run engine at high rpms" home remedy
Old 12-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by 2ndZ
I wish I had a dealer I could trust...so long as the 'air pocket' is not detrimental to my cars performance I will leave it alone...I will try the suggested "park on a steep hill and run engine at high rpms" home remedy
The air pocket sucks. When you're sitting in the Starbucks drive-thru on a cold morning there is no coolant circulating through the heater core, only air. The heater/defroster stops working, unless you rev the engine to get some circulation going.

It's easy enough to fix and you can do it yourself. Look through the TSB sticky for the details. Parking it on an incline isn't just a home remedy, it is the remedy.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by bluemaxx
It's easy enough to fix and you can do it yourself. Look through the TSB sticky for the details. Parking it on an incline isn't just a home remedy, it is the remedy.
Thanks bluemaxx...I must be missing something in the TSB sticky (or just stupid)...I see that there is a TSB for the Heater but I do not see the remedy...do I need to purchase an online subscription from Nissan to view the procedures for the TSB's? Also, when parking on an incline and revving engine, is the radiator cap suppose to be off or on? Thanks again for the help...I don't come to the .org much, but I do like to come here when issues arise.

thanks
Walter
Old 12-03-2005, 01:33 PM

OK OK....like I said...just stupid!! I found it...Thanks