6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Trunk out of alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 03:34 PM

Trunk out of alignment

Ever since I got my 04' The trunk has always looked out of alignment, when you looked at the center of the bumper the trunk lid almost touch the bumper while the corners looked to have proper spacing. Also when you pushed down on the trunk in moved 1". Took it to my dealer, they gave me a loaner Altima and my car spent 8 days in their bodyshop getting this corrected. They ended up removing the trunk lid, both rear quarter panels and the bumper in order to properly line everthing up. But I must say everything looks GREAT now. Just something you guys and gals might want to look at on your Maxima.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:54 AM

Wowseroon! Several here have complained about their trunk alignment over the past year and a half, but this is the first time I recall something being done about it.

There was slightly more space between the bumper and the left corner of my trunklid than there was the right corner. But after studying the spacing carefully, I 'determined' I would have to remove most body parts on the back half of the car to get everything exactly perfect. From your post, I guess I 'determined' correctly.

I decided I would rather make the adjustment in my mind (just pretend the problem was not there) rather than have my car virtually disassembled.

Thanks for the info. Several here had wondered how this problem could be addressed.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:41 PM

my trunk is not so much out of alignment as it is just higher then the rest of the rear of the car it is very annoying especially when my system is on
Old 01-03-2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by DLy2k1
Ever since I got my 04' The trunk has always looked out of alignment, when you looked at the center of the bumper the trunk lid almost touch the bumper while the corners looked to have proper spacing. Also when you pushed down on the trunk in moved 1". Took it to my dealer, they gave me a loaner Altima and my car spent 8 days in their bodyshop getting this corrected. They ended up removing the trunk lid, both rear quarter panels and the bumper in order to properly line everthing up. But I must say everything looks GREAT now. Just something you guys and gals might want to look at on your Maxima.
They removed both quarter pnls?
Old 01-03-2005, 11:23 PM

SSurfer - The trunk lid has both a vertical surface on the rear, and a horizontal surface on top. Both the vertical and horizontal surfaces have to be flush (even) with the surfaces around them. As a result, any adjustment to the trunk is likely to require adjustments to both the bumper and the quarter panels in order to have the spacing around the trunk lid even. This can be quite an undertaking.