6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

HELP!!!Tire problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HELP!!!Tire problems

Had my 04 Maxima for about a year and a half. Around 40,000Km/25,000M starting hearing a noise that sounded like something was rubbing on the body. Took into the dealership and they said my tires were "cupping"; and not just one, all four. The tires are not covered under warranty, and they said the car had nothing to do with it...yeah right. All 4 tires go bad...mmmm... After many 'discussions' with the useless dealership service advisor, called Nissan and they have been of no help either, just stated that the tires are not under warranty as well. Meanwhile, now at 50,000Km/32,000M (yes I love my Max and do alot of driving), I take it to another dealership, they test drive it, and tell me the tires are "scalloped".....it's not a car problem. Replace all four tires. So again, after asking how could all four tires go bad at the same time, I get "don't know', same as the other dealership. I then called Goodyear, who of course blames the car, but they at least offered to help with pricing and even discuss with the dealership. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY SIMILAR PROBLEM??!! I do still have the shimmy at around 80km/h. A mechanic friend who test drove it says it sounds like a bearing. The only thing that he could think of that would cause the tires to do this is bad struts in the front, and that I rotated the tires every 10-12,000Km, making all 4 tires bad.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:04 PM

There has been a lot of threads describing issues with the RSAs on the 04'. Getting 40k out of them I would buy a better tire and go on. As for the shimmy, the 04' had a problem with Struts as well.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:10 PM
SuPeRmOd

how come you never got the shimmy fixed?

Nissan never informed you to go to Goodyear? If you're worn down too far, you may have to just get new tires. (May I suggest Pirelli or Michelin.) But this is your only hope that Goodyear is weary of the RSA/Max issues and credits you some towards new tires.

Hey, they may find splits then you'll be golden.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NismoMax80

Nissan never informed you to go to Goodyear? If you're worn down too far, you may have to just get new tires. (May I suggest Pirelli or Michelin.) But this is your only hope that Goodyear is weary of the RSA/Max issues and credits you some towards new tires.

Which tires would you recommend from Michelin? I'd like a good all-year tire with low road noise, good wet traction, etc... does the Pilot offer this?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2005, 09:24 PM
SuPeRmOd

I liked the Pilot A/S for awhile, but that price is up there. I found the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S and now know which I will ride on next. A bit cheaper and higher rated. I feel you can't go wrong with either (except if too expensive for you).

A friend just got the Pilots on his 03. Has a shimmy now (possible damage from a log incident if not due to the tires). So I could inform ya better if he figures which is causing it.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:41 PM

Research the Pirelli's. I hear their treadwear is terrible and they won't last nearly as long as Michelins. Pirelli's are a good tire for traction, though they are a soft tire.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NismoMax80

I've had it in 8 times for the shimmy and they still haven't fixed it. Nissan was not even willing to help with Goodyear, I just sent them and email and they replied the next day, more than willing to help. Yes, I saw the other threads about splits....maybe I'll get lucky. THANKS!!!!
Old 01-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So correct me if I'm wrong, but don't go with new goodyear RSA's? The tire seems to have good ratings where I've checked, and since the not OEM, will they not be a better tire? Friend with 03 Max put on Pirelli's and loved them in the summer and hated them in the winter. Which Michelin tire? Thanks ALL for the help.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Going through the same thing!!

the cupping sound started in mine at about 40,000 (now have 45,000) i have not gotten into it with my dealership yet because i have'nt had the time...... i realize that the tires are good for 60,000 and have been looking for replacements because i to luv my max and i luv to drive it. But you have made me realize that i need to get to the bottom of this uneven wear and cupping issue with my tires. And i just heard about the shimming issue and that a TSB was issued about it. I have had alot of things go wrong with mine in the beginning which made me purchase an extended warranty for peace of mind. But not for the excellent service of my dealership i would have initiated buyback procedures within the first year(4 months shy of 2 years of ownership) and today i look at my 20 month old car and think it is 5 years old!! the grill is peeling, the front fascia is peppered so bad i can't put wax on it the paint is flaking all around(waiting to hear back from Nissan and the BBB on this one) But i guess when you have a nice car in michigan, and drive it year round this happens.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:20 PM

Define Cupping: Cupping can be caused by an unbalanced tire condition, faulty wheel bearings, loose parts, fatigued springs or weak shock absorbers. Check the condition of the shock by forcefully bouncing the front end of the car several times and releasing it on the down stroke. Failure of the vehicle to settle after two strokes suggests worn shocks or struts.

http://www.autoshop-online.com/cchtml/tire.wr.prob.html
Old 01-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by billdo66
the cupping sound started in mine at about 40,000 (now have 45,000) i have not gotten into it with my dealership yet because i have'nt had the time...... i realize that the tires are good for 60,000 and have been looking for replacements because i to luv my max and i luv to drive it. But you have made me realize that i need to get to the bottom of this uneven wear and cupping issue with my tires. And i just heard about the shimming issue and that a TSB was issued about it. I have had alot of things go wrong with mine in the beginning which made me purchase an extended warranty for peace of mind. But not for the excellent service of my dealership i would have initiated buyback procedures within the first year(4 months shy of 2 years of ownership) and today i look at my 20 month old car and think it is 5 years old!! the grill is peeling, the front fascia is peppered so bad i can't put wax on it the paint is flaking all around(waiting to hear back from Nissan and the BBB on this one) But i guess when you have a nice car in michigan, and drive it year round this happens.
The chipping grill happened on mine as well. Was replaced by dealership at no charge. The "flaking" paint started 1 month after I got the car. They repainted the whole hood - after fighting with the dealership for days!!. As for the cupping, I think I'm tired of fighting with Nissan, and I'm just going to replace the tires in the spring. After talking with Goodyear, they suggested not rotating the tires for the first 25,000KM, go back to Goodyear, have them inspect the tires for cupping. If so, vehicle problem. NOW my problem is getting Nissan to put that in my file!!!!
Old 01-22-2005, 11:31 AM
2004 Smoke

I read the other day the 350-Z is having serious problems with cupping tires due to suspension problems...I wonder if this problem is related....
Old 01-28-2005, 01:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

finally someone who drives as much as i do......

i replied to you about my issues with my tires a few weeks ago, and i am getting a lemon law attorney involved because there has been way to many things going wrong with this car, i really luv my car has been the most fun car i have owned but in my 20 months of ownership my dealership has been unbelievably awesome! but i just cant keep running there anymore. as i write this the dealer has had my car for a week trying to figure out why it pulls to the left!!! i only have 2 scalloped tires and i intend to call goodyear about this issue(45,000 miles on mine) i have a copy of the steering wheel shimmy TSB if you are having the same issues.......i would like to chat with you about all thats gone wrong with your car give me a call when you can, my name is bill and my e-mail is: w.courtney@comcast.net phone# 734 845-0101

later
Old 01-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Would love to share "stories". At the point now that I'm ready to get rid of it. Looked at the Acura RL....nice car!! email rellimd15@yahoo.com