6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Memory Seat Positions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 08:31 PM

Memory Seat Positions

I just got my Maxima and I programmed the buttons for 2 separate seating positions. I then noticed that the buttons don't work unless the key is in the accessory position - this is stupid! I don't understand why the buttons don't work when the car is off!

Is it just my car or is this a design flaw on the Maxima?
Old 01-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I dunno man. I never worry about it because the whole point to me was to have it programmed to the remote so that by the time I'm sitting down the car is already setup for me
Old 01-25-2005, 09:00 PM

Your driver memory system is operating per specs, and there is no design flaw.

If there has been a driver change requiring use of the memory selection buttons, the key must be in the ignition, and the ignition must be in either 'accessory' or 'drive'.

If my wife drove last (and the seat position is hers), then I simply go ahead and start the car, put my foot on the brake, and, with the car in neutral push the door button corresponding to MY chosen position. Works every time.

Neither my wife nor I have any problem with having to start the car (or have the key in the accessory position) before changing the seats for a different driver (using the door memory buttons). We could care less where the seats, steering wheel and mirrors are until we are ready to drive, anyway.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:04 PM
SuPeRmOd

the car has different settings (wheel and seat) when off to assist entry/exit. therefore the memory is unavailable. if you change the setting (bump a button) the memory and/or last setting is also disabled.
btw, welcome to the org.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:16 PM

Can you program the auto dim mirrors with the memory settings. For example, everytime I shut the car off, the Auto dimming rearview mirror settings revert to on. My 2nd key seems to not enable the auto dim rearview mirror whenever I use it.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:23 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Your driver memory system is operating per specs, and there is no design flaw.

If there has been a driver change requiring use of the memory selection buttons, the key must be in the ignition, and the ignition must be in either 'accessory' or 'drive'.

If my wife drove last (and the seat position is hers), then I simply go ahead and start the car, put my foot on the brake, and, with the car in neutral push the door button corresponding to MY chosen position. Works every time.

Neither my wife nor I have any problem with having to start the car (or have the key in the accessory position) before changing the seats for a different driver (using the door memory buttons). We could care less where the seats, steering wheel and mirrors are until we are ready to drive, anyway.
Very well spoken as usual Light, but the only problem I have is that my wife is much shorter than me and as the seat moves dangerously forward the steering wheel smashes down into my legs. Maybe it's just the Max trying to give me a hug... I have to get in and push the button quickly or move my legs to avoid the oncoming steering wheel!!!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:33 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Very well spoken as usual Light, but the only problem I have is that my wife is much shorter than me and as the seat moves dangerously forward the steering wheel smashes down into my legs. Maybe it's just the Max trying to give me a hug... I have to get in and push the button quickly or move my legs to avoid the oncoming steering wheel!!!
thats funny, the same happens to me. but I usually change the setting while the car is on and in park....... what I do is turn it on, the seat will automaticly go to her setting if she drove it last but you can cancel the setting by pressing your own, before you crush your step children..........
Old 01-26-2005, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
lol...
same goes for me as well. after my girlfriend drives the max, its fun to watch the steering wheel, side mirrors and seats move into position back to the way I set it.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:07 AM
SuPeRmOd

I thought we could set the 2 key fobs or key to each memory accordingly? if not, just hit a button (seat or wheel setting) then the wheel won't come down. turn key and select your #, you're set to go... so no unwanted injuries.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:09 AM

I have a great solution to this problem. My wife never drives my car !
Old 01-26-2005, 04:45 AM

Mine works fine every time. Someone changes my seat; I get back in and press the button, probably my favorite feature on the car.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
I thought we could set the 2 key fobs or key to each memory accordingly? if not, just hit a button (seat or wheel setting) then the wheel won't come down. turn key and select your #, you're set to go... so no unwanted injuries.
we can, check the manual page 3-20...........
Old 01-26-2005, 07:56 AM

Sorry, but no one commented to my reference to the remote programming. Does no one like that feature? I've never had to touch the memory buttons after I got it set up. Just wondering...
Old 01-26-2005, 10:15 AM

I just think Nissan should have activated the buttons pre ignition. I have both the remotes programmed, but if my wife picks me up and I don't have my remote I want to be able to open the door, push the button and have my seat in its position. I don't want to have to get in and bang my knees and fight with everything while it is trying to crush me even more!!

There must be a workaround for this. I will have to do some research to see if I can activate the buttons without the key in the ignition.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:32 AM
SuPeRmOd

i just posted, if you are w/o your fob to change the setting, just tap on of the wheel or seat adjustment buttons and the wheel will stay up, seat back. when u turn the key you can select your memory.

For Nissan to allow you to select the memory before the key is in the ignition, I'm sure even more excessive relays and/or wiring are required to get around the entry/exit feature. So use your keyfob, of if you must tap a setting button to disable the current memory then select your number.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:41 AM

i just posted, if you are w/o your fob to change the setting, just tap on of the wheel or seat adjustment buttons and the wheel will stay up, seat back. when u turn the key you can select your memory.

For Nissan to allow you to select the memory before the key is in the ignition, I'm sure even more excessive relays and/or wiring are required to get around the entry/exit feature. So use your keyfob, of if you must tap a setting button to disable the current memory then select your number.
I have something similar post #7....... you can cancel the setting after you put the key in the ignition....
Old 01-26-2005, 10:44 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
I have something similar post #7....... you can cancel the setting after you put the key in the ignition....
correct, but if you change a setting before you even insert the key, the wheel will never move down at all.

I discovered this when cleaning, either moving the seat around or bumping a button. when I insert the key, the wheel stays up and I lost the last setting. 5th gens are the same, but they only have seat assist, not wheel.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:36 AM

too many options in this damn car, so many buttons too. there should be maxima school to run this machine.........
Old 01-26-2005, 12:22 PM

Thanks for all the input! I will remember to 'tap' a button next time. As for making the buttons hot all the time I guess I should have spent more money and got a Volvo - my brothers car doesn't have this problem!! I have to say though he does have horsepower envy...!!!
Old 08-18-2020, 04:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have 04 Maxima SL.

correct, but if you change a setting before you even insert the key, the wheel will never move down at all.

I discovered this when cleaning, either moving the seat around or bumping a button. when I insert the key, the wheel stays up and I lost the last setting. 5th gens are the same, but they only have seat assist, not wheel.
​​​​​​ I recently unplugged my battery and and reset the controls to work steering wheel lift up on exit and seat slide back but now it doesn't work I can still program the seats but the steering wheel and seat won't slide back on exit after turning car off and opening door. Any feedback or help on this?