6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Drive by wire Gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 06:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Drive by wire Gas pedal

My beloved 04 SE with about 5700 miles on it left me stranded last night.
Driving along at about 30 mph all of a sudden it was like the gas pedal was no longer responding. No matter how hard I mash the pedal.....nothing, nada, zilch. Either forward or reverse. My 90 max was like a tank and never had one problem with it. Got a 99 300M which was fine until the extended warranty ran out and then BAM! bad tranny. CAme back to the Max, and now this.

Anyone ever heard of this before?
Old 02-04-2005, 07:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nope never heard of that happening before.

I thought my car was accelerating out of control once. I turned it off and coasted to the side of the road. It turns out the winter car mat I had in there got bunched up under the pedal and wedged it down. lol That was a fun 5 seconds.

I'm sure your problem is pretty simple. Likely a bad connection or a bad pedal. Should be easy to fix anyways. Hopefully if they have to order parts they'll give you a loaner if its going to be a few days. Its certainly a major safety issue to have a disfunctional gas pedal. If you bought the extended warranty it usually includes rental cars any time yours is in the shop for more than a day or two.

CM
Old 02-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just a quick update.....just my luck, the techs cannot duplicate the problem (??) but they dont want to release the car because in thier words "they dont want it happening to me while trying to get onto a highway and get wrecked".

Im sort of suprised they couldnt figure out whats going on...or maybe its because I was making such a big stink about getting the car back today. At least theyre giving me a loaner.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:43 PM

NJHOCKEYFAN - Not a good year for hockey fans anywhere.

And no, I have not seen anything like your situation posted here; at least not in the last 20 months. Let us know what they find.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by NJHOCKEYFAN
Driving along at about 30 mph all of a sudden it was like the gas pedal was no longer responding. No matter how hard I mash the pedal.....nothing, nada, zilch. . . . Anyone ever heard of this before?
At about the same mileage on my Max (back in Jan, 2004) I had some engine operating problems. I will post what I wrote at the time in an e-mail message to two friends on this problem:
"Yesterday, we were driving in town. We had been driving for about 15 minutes at speeds up to 55 mph and engine speeds up to about 3,500 rpm. We pulled off of US 24 and came to a stop for about 4 minutes at the local library, with the engine running. We then slowly pulled away, and went around two corners.

Once on a major street, I accelerated the car in second gear, and when the engine reached about 2,200 rpm, the car started to shake and buck. The engine would not go any faster than about 2,300 rpm. I pulled over to the curb and noticed that the engine idle (normally about 750 rpm) was at about 1,100 rpm. The car seemed to run fine (other than the fast idle) as long as the engine speed was below 2,200 rpm.

So we drove about 5 blocks to the Safeway keeping the rpm down, where I stopped the engine for about 15 minutes. When we came out and started the car, the idle was normal and the car no longer bucked when the engine went over 2,200 rpm. From the store we drove home and had no more problems.

I suspect that something in the computer control was amiss and stopping the engine allowed the computer to reset and correct the problem. Do you have any ideas. It was scary when it happened due the extreme loss of power and the bucking."

My friends had no idea what the problem was. I have not had this problem again and I assume that the engine was "fixed" by the on-board computer resetting with the 15-minute stop and correcting whatever the problem was in the engine control system.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

WE tried shutting off the car and restarting but that didnt help. I guess my car laying idle overnight allowed the gremlins to escape.

We'll see what happens today.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

As of a few minutes ago, Im told that so far they have not been able to reproduce this problem. I gave permission for someone to "use the car" to see if it happens with while actually being driven.

My question now is...How long should they be able to keep the car? and If I demand it back, what happens if this condition causes an accident ?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hopefully the last chapter in this saga.
I got my car back Tues night. Everthig seems to be OK now.

I was told the fuel throttle assembly was changed.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So it happened again !!
This time its check engine light, the car only going about 5mph, but if you keep messing with the gas pedal it seems to "catch" and starts to run.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:52 AM

Just a guess, but could this be a MAF sensor going bad?
Old 02-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

As of right now, they cant duplicate the problem (again).
The codes arent helping them find the problem. They are alledgedly in contact with Nissan engineers so they can find out "what direction they should go". Evidently they havent a clue what to do next. At least Im getting a loaner.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Could it be the throttle body isnt opening up, from my understanding it is opened electronically. Hope you get your var fixed , keep us posted with a update.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Back from the dead

lol kenttz, how did u get that license plate lol
Old 02-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would recomend getting a carchip by davis instruments. The E/X version will allow you to recored reading from various parts of the engine that relate to emmsions. This includes fuel system status, Mass Air Flow sensor, air intake temp, throttle position, etc. You can record any 4 of these plus a mandatory speed. It will check it in intervals as little as 5 seconds. It will record over 100 hours of data and it can be downloaded to the PC.

Finally it will record error codes as they happen, so if an error code is cleared by itself before they can check it, you would have it recorded.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:25 PM
05WHTMAXISL

maybe trans mission gone bad???i had a 2001 acura TL and the tranny broke down 4 times in 2 years..i know i kinda drive ahrd but...it was exacalty like described..i was drving around 55 mph and once a while pulled it hard. and suddenly the gas pedal gave up and no response ..and the car statrted to jerk if i go pass certain RPM...maybe trans??anyways what kind of loaner did you get?i live in jersey too..i want looaner car to save miles..^^

Old 02-19-2005, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by 05WHTMAXISL
maybe trans mission gone bad???i had a 2001 acura TL and the tranny broke down 4 times in 2 years..i know i kinda drive ahrd but...it was exacalty like described..i was drving around 55 mph and once a while pulled it hard. and suddenly the gas pedal gave up and no response ..and the car statrted to jerk if i go pass certain RPM...maybe trans??anyways what kind of loaner did you get?i live in jersey too..i want looaner car to save miles..^^

A new TL was one of the cars I was considering before getting my Maxima. While researching those, I stumbled across a lot of stuff about the transmission issues of the previous gen. From what I gather, it looks like a sub-par bearing failing in the transmission, thus pieces of that bearing making its way to other areas in the case and wrecking stuff was the culprit.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:20 PM
05WHTMAXISL

Originally Posted by C17chief
A new TL was one of the cars I was considering before getting my Maxima. While researching those, I stumbled across a lot of stuff about the transmission issues of the previous gen. From what I gather, it looks like a sub-par bearing failing in the transmission, thus pieces of that bearing making its way to other areas in the case and wrecking stuff was the culprit.
the recall letter acually stated the gear from 2 and 3rd burns due to high temputure burning??..how can a ACURA gears be burning due to hot temputure..after they installed the jet fuel filter or somthing for my sisters 2004 TL the car got better but the car is paranoid...the tranny will blow soon or later..

Old 02-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Now after contacting the Nissan engineers they came up with a fix.
Theyre replacing the throttle sensor. Exactly what I guessed 3 weeks ago when it first happened.
Im supposed to get it back sometime today. We'll see.

***2:08PM just got a call from them. They are now saying its the ECU (ECM?) because when they jiggle it around, they can finally reproduce the problem. I guess the earlier guess didnt pan out.

PS: I got a loaner only after making a big stink (holiday weekend). The said they didnt have any since it was an unscheduled visit.
The loaner this time was an '04/'05 sentra with 260 miles on it. It sux. A base model w/ No power anything aside from the basic PS/PB. My 2 sons were moaning about the tiny back seat. I have to admit that it road pretty good for a tiny car.