6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

failing HID Light????

Old 02-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

failing HID Light????

I was wondering if anyone else was having a problem with their HID, or in past use on other vehicles? But I never really though anything of what seemed to be a slightly dimmer view when driving at night sometimes. It wasn't consistant, so I brushed it off to my contacts and eyes being tired those nights.... Tonight I was in front of a reflective glass building and noticed that one light flashed and then went out (drivers side). The person I was letting drive the car flipped them off and back on and the light would flash again and go out. He shifted it down to the ON position from the AUTO and it came on... Back to Auto it flashed and out. Back to ON flashed and out. Back to Auto stayed on. I got into the car after dinner and the light was out again. After a couple of times of turning the lights on and off it would stay on.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:28 PM

???

i didnt get stock HID... But i do have a similar problem... I leave mine on AUTO all the time soo when i start it i dont have to forget to turn them on, and i like to look at them when they stay on at night after i get ou... lmao. but when im trying to show off and remote start it, sometimes only 1 turns on from each side, hat i mean by this is that either one of the headlight or foglight turns on from the left side and the opposite from the right side... kinda weird but when ppl ask i say that i do it on purpose...
Old 02-17-2005, 11:28 PM

If you notice a greenish color on your hids when they are on that is the color the bulb turns when it begins to burn out. as far as the light going on and just turning off it might be an issue with your ballast.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i thought the turn pinkish when they are about to die....anyways it doesnt matter the color they change. you dont have that problem. your problem sounds electrical. I would calll service and bring it in asap.

here in NY they love to give u a ticket for a headlight thats out.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:24 PM

I wouldnt try flickering your hid on and off trying to see if it will turn on, it will cause your ballast to die prematurely. However like it was mention take it to the dealer and find out what could have caused this.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:37 PM

OK... thanks guys. I will do that as I also need them to re=check the rattle on the driver's front suspension... or maybe the rattle is the ballist if it isn't in the headlight unit. I was unaware that there was anything else, but I guess it makes since (high voltage like a flourecent bulb.)
Old 02-19-2005, 06:39 AM

the ballast is attached to the headlight by three screws. Its made up of a plastic shell, the entire ballast weighs about a pound. The noise u hear, I dont believe it would be the ballast. But hey u never know!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:53 PM

Update::::::----

Update: I noticed today after i cranked up at my brother's house that the light from the bulbs are different colors. I was parked in front of his garage which is painted white and while talking to him letting the engine warm up that the bulb I was having problems with looks more like an incadecent bulb color than a HID. The passenger side was a bright white, but the color on the drivers side looked yellowish. Going to the dealer tomorrow.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Banned

Yeah, no HID problems on my car, only wish they went on when it was dusk, even with the setting on most sensitive the lights don't come on till they are totally needed, so sometimes I have to switch them on.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by ethorn
Update: I noticed today after i cranked up at my brother's house that the light from the bulbs are different colors. I was parked in front of his garage which is painted white and while talking to him letting the engine warm up that the bulb I was having problems with looks more like an incadecent bulb color than a HID. The passenger side was a bright white, but the color on the drivers side looked yellowish. Going to the dealer tomorrow.

A member had one side halogen, one side HID...came factory like that. dealer replaced it of course.

if you look at the front of your headlights, in the corner will be an engraving of words. Halogen headlights will say HIR2 and HID headlights will say D2S check to see if they both display the same
Old 02-25-2005, 08:51 AM

I have DS2 on both lamps. However (I don't know that I can believe this as I would think they use different plugs) The service tech did say that the bulb is a halogen bulb in the HID lamp, and was frankly shocked the bulb hasn't just blown up. They will have a replacement by mid week next week.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:51 AM

Is there an easy way to get to the lights to double check the info I got from the dealer?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:25 AM

no real easy way to check. you need to remove the grille, front bumper and the head light screws.

although a HID has a projector, which has a d2s (hid bulb slot) The halogen bulb is a 9012 slot, which is totally different, it wont fit. So I dunno what service is telling you. But as long as they are replacing it, then you'll be good.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Roshan

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Yeah, no HID problems on my car, only wish they went on when it was dusk, even with the setting on most sensitive the lights don't come on till they are totally needed, so sometimes I have to switch them on.
do wut i did... get sum black electrical tape.. and cover up the sensors... works like a charm.. and noone can tell

Old 02-27-2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Roshan
do wut i did... get sum black electrical tape.. and cover up the sensors... works like a charm.. and noone can tell
Where is the sensor?
Old 02-27-2005, 06:54 PM

either side of the windsheild vent. Look like little circles. They will be part of a square assymbly. There are 2 and both need to be covered... however if they are covered with tape then the AUTO setting is essentially an ON setting. Your lights will always be on, in the midddle of the day in bright sunlight, they will be on if you are on AUTO and have the tape on the sensors.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Roshan

wouldnt that defeat the auto feature by just havin them on all the time bc the car always thinks its dark?
Old 02-27-2005, 10:49 PM

it would... but it also bypasses the warning chime by using on all the time. Some people would also say the car should have DRLs and this is a way to have them, even though rather than dedicated DRLs you are using full power headlights. There are numerous studies that have proven you are much less likely to pulled out in front of with DRLs because you are more easily seen and therefore not missed. There is a spot for DRL fuse/relay, but in the US atleast, it doesn't have any.

I believe in Canada it is mandatory that they have DRLs, correct me if I am wrong.