6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Is there a way if you can tell the car has been prewired for sat radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 08:03 PM

Is there a way if you can tell the car has been prewired for sat radio?

I'm thinking about adding he sirius module to my 04. Can you tell by the vin or anything if the car is pre-wired and just needs the module? If the antenna kit is also needed, where does it go and is it something you can do yourself (as in not having to pass a cable through a window seal or the like)?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There's a sticker in the driver side door sill... or at least there should be, if the car is pre-wired.

As far as the antenna goes, you WILL need to get it, and some kits (IIRC the one that Grubbs sells) does not come with one. The Terk micro one is almost $80 IIRC, so factor that into the budget.

Installation can be easy, or it can be a real pain. I personally think the rear shelf is just fine, rather than mounting the thing on the roof and then risking dealing with the seal (although that's the official way of doing it). AFAIK reception should be fine on the rear shelf... it's just a matter of making sure the antenna has plenty of sky to see.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by viguera
There's a sticker in the driver side door sill... or at least there should be, if the car is pre-wired.

As far as the antenna goes, you WILL need to get it, and some kits (IIRC the one that Grubbs sells) does not come with one. The Terk micro one is almost $80 IIRC, so factor that into the budget.

Installation can be easy, or it can be a real pain. I personally think the rear shelf is just fine, rather than mounting the thing on the roof and then risking dealing with the seal (although that's the official way of doing it). AFAIK reception should be fine on the rear shelf... it's just a matter of making sure the antenna has plenty of sky to see.
Yep...sticker on the door.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:30 PM

Thanks.

I was kind of hoping that prewire meant everything needed was there except for the module, but expected it to not be that easy. Guess I'll be getting the antenna too.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by C17chief
Thanks.

I was kind of hoping that prewire meant everything needed was there except for the module, but expected it to not be that easy. Guess I'll be getting the antenna too.
Well pre-wire means just that... that the wiring is in place...

Believe it or not that's the hardest part, even if it's not the most expensive. Running the wire from the back to the front while keeping it concealed, and jacking into the back of the HU is harder than what you have to do now. All that's left for you is just mounting the module and the antenna, and plugging in a couple of wires, and that's it.

Make sure you get an OEM sat receiver (like the one Grubbs has here: http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mer...uct_Code=999U9 ) and not one of the Clarion/aftermarket ones that "look like they should work"

I THINK (not sure) that the Terk antenna needed an adapter because of the terrestrial/sat outputs, but you might have to ask around for details, because I don't remember.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:52 AM

Yes..you need 3 items...

1. The tuner (go with Grubbs)
2. An antenna (get one off ebay for about $30-40)
3. An antenna splitter (get one off ebay for about $25)