6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Road noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Banned

Taking out the inside of the doors is pretty easy....I made a attempt to access the inner door panel to rub a crease in the door (really really small) flat...ive had success doing this before. Behind that panel is a metal one with about 500 screws in it...so i figured the hell with it..but the interior part is very simple to get off w/o damaging anything..but man those speakers look wimpy for being Bose.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I hear that. I'm not too impressed with the Bose in my car either.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well i test drove a SL Sunday and it was very quiet,and smooth. I drive a JeepWJ and it very rough and noisy, so the maxima to me is pure luxury.
Chris
Old 05-02-2005, 03:31 PM

Interesting reading on the Bose system. Never been impressed with Bose period, home or auto. Won't have overpriced Bose gear in my home system as it's really overpriced for what you get. Most of my friends, remember that I'm 57, still live in the Bose is great world. Amazing how old reputations never die with the older crowd. As for the system in the 05 Max, it's more than adequate for most of us "oldsters" as were partially deaf from listing to our wives over the past 30 to 35 years. Really, if you want to hear a real "crappy" system, just drive a new Honda Accord, even my "tin"ears think it's awful. In closing, I don't feel the road noise in the new Max SE is excessive, but then again, I'm probably deaf and the Bose system playing Jim Brickman or Diana Krall just drowns it out.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Banned

If I had any money for an audiophile system Bose would be last on my list, Id have gorgeous MacIntosh tube amplifiers and B&W speakers. For the car, there are no factory systems that are any good, not even mark levenson in lexus, but i think thats as good as it gets.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by jinsatx
Interesting reading on the Bose system. Never been impressed with Bose period, home or auto. Won't have overpriced Bose gear in my home system as it's really overpriced for what you get. Most of my friends, remember that I'm 57, still live in the Bose is great world. Amazing how old reputations never die with the older crowd. As for the system in the 05 Max, it's more than adequate for most of us "oldsters" as were partially deaf from listing to our wives over the past 30 to 35 years. Really, if you want to hear a real "crappy" system, just drive a new Honda Accord, even my "tin"ears think it's awful. In closing, I don't feel the road noise in the new Max SE is excessive, but then again, I'm probably deaf and the Bose system playing Jim Brickman or Diana Krall just drowns it out.
I'm 41 and it's not the volume, it's the quality. I think I just expected a bit more. I changed my 98s speakers to Polk with a small amp and kept the stock system indash. That was good enough for me. I thing the power is ok but it lacks speaker quality. I think after I finish the gears in my other car I'm going to change the speakers in my Max.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:37 PM
wsu

Bose is disappointing

Originally Posted by -AoW-JP
I hear that. I'm not too impressed with the Bose in my car either.
I wholeheartedly agree. One gets the sense that the "Bose" moniker is more of a sales consideration than an actual performance feature. While I think the Bose system in the Maxima sounds OK, to my my ears it doesn't rate as a truly premium sound system. The high frequencies are not that crisp and the low frequencies don't have much definition or impact.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:45 PM

No highs,no lows, must be Bose.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
nope, just on rough surface like concrete streets or so...
Thats about the same way mine is with the exception of the pirate ship noise when backing out of the driveway.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

From what the guys told me at Car Toys, apparently the Bose systems have different impedence requirements than others. Sounds like BS to me, but I listened to them. I kept all of the stock Bose system, except I disconnected the woofers from the rear deck and put two tens (sealed box) in the trunk and put a hefty amp to them. Sounds good enough for me. A little heavy on the bass at low volume. But that is adjustable to your preference. Sounds great!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought an 04 SE approximately one month ago and I am noticing alot of tire noise. I purchased 4 Z rated Hancook tires, however, it only limited the tire nosie for a short time. I also noticed the old tires were chopy on the threads. Can anyone tell me if it may be the struts or a bearing?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by cruzan
I just bought an 04 SE approximately one month ago and I am noticing alot of tire noise. I purchased 4 Z rated Hancook tires, however, it only limited the tire nosie for a short time. I also noticed the old tires were chopy on the threads. Can anyone tell me if it may be the struts or a bearing?
I cured it with a set of Pilot Sport A/S. I've never been happier with the car, it rides better, handles better and best of all, no tire noise.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:03 AM
wsu

road vibrations

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
If I had any money for an audiophile system Bose would be last on my list, Id have gorgeous MacIntosh tube amplifiers and B&W speakers. For the car, there are no factory systems that are any good, not even mark levenson in lexus, but i think thats as good as it gets.
Hey, the tubes might put out great sound, but I think that the road vibrations could be rough on the tube filaments (?). Also, the heat dissipation needs of the tubes could make for unique installation challenges.

I think that factory systems, even if they have an audio brand "nameplate", are so geared toward the mass market that they invariably miss the mark in the mind of audiophiles. I haven't heard the Levinson-Lexus system.

The best system I ever had was a Blaupunkt front end with Infinity speakers (in a VW Rabbit-some years ago). To my recollection, it sounded better than the Maxima-Bose system.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Road Noise

Road noise - HA - got lots of it!
Just replaced a wheel bearing & ball joints - got allignment, new tires - all good huh? Well now I have this loud buffeting noise (like when one rear window is open on the highway) when I'm driving at 60mph+ really annoying!

Any ideas - 'cause I just love sinking more $$$ into this damn car!

EJ
Old 08-15-2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by bluemaxx
I had 4 - 245/45x18 Michelin Pilot A/S installed a couple of weeks ago. It made a dramatic difference in the cabin noise on my SE. The RSA's were noisy in all circumstances. The Michelins ride/drive/handle/go around corners... Every aspect you can name is greatly improved over the RSA's. If I had known I would have done it much sooner.
I installed the same tires at 32 K miles and had the same experience. I am now over 37.5 k Miles and the ride is much quieter than with the Goodyears.

My wife also agrees with this comment about the SE with 6-speed:
"In fact I drive in 4th gear for miles at a time because I can't hear the damn engine whining when I forget to shift into 5th and 6th gears. " I continually have to remind her (when she is driving and I'm only riding -- which isn't often) to shift to the next highest gear. She also will lug the engine (in a gear that is too high) much more than I would, and the Max just takes it without any complaint.

What a great car -- especially for the money.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:35 AM

IMO, my 05 Maxima SE quieter than any other car that I've drive, except probably the '03 Lexus LS 430.
That 'any other car' includes, but not limited to, '04 Camry LE V6, '00 GS300, '02 BMW 325i, 03 Honda Odyssey, 03 Honda Pilot, '00 BMW 330i, 01 Accord EX V6... etc. 4 cyl's are not worthy to mention.

Maxima beats everything in terms of quieness, except the LS.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You must not have a moonroof!

Originally Posted by MaxMus
Interesting, my biggest complaint with this car is that it is too damn quiet. I can barely hear the engine, and it is as smooth as any other car I have driven when it is raining outside.

I can barely hear wind noises in this car.
I have a Gen 5 and when the moonroof cover is open, it sounds like the roof is cracked open a bit, even at 30 mph.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 PM

I came from a saturn sc2 with basically a straight pipe, so no my Maxima's small amount of noise does not bother me. It does seem to act up a bit suspension wise when the temp. drops below 50 degrees. It creaks like it's going to fall apart, but then when it warms back up it's as smooth as butter.

Edit: Hell of a first post bringing this back from the dead.

Last edited by MaxEx; 11-02-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:44 PM

my biggest complaint is the suspension... i think we feel everything in the maxima rather then any other cars... maybe its just the 05's but not a fan of how it handles bumps
Old 11-03-2009, 06:11 PM

Check your tires. Even slight unevenness in wear pattern can affect road noise levels very substantially. I slowly developed noticeable road noise, then replaced the front tires. Sound level dropped. Then, replaced the rears a week later, and presto, road noise all but gone! (Goodyear Comfortreads on 04 SL).