6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Steering wheel audio controls

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 09:08 AM

Steering wheel audio controls

On my SE with the Bose I am experiencing intermittent problems with the steering wheel controls. Sometimes when I try to change channels, nothing happens. I have to turn it off and on again to get the control to work. The volume control isn't affected. It used to happen rarely, but now it seems to be happening almost every day. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone know if the controls are wired, rf (maybe), or infrared(doubtful)?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I haven't had this problem with the Max yet, but my wife is on her third Pathfinder ('00, '02, '05) and all three of them have had a similar problem: the volume adjusts itself up or down at odd times without any input from the driver. I'm pretty sure the problem comes from the steering wheel controls, since it usually happens during gradual turns in regular driving. It never lasts more than a few seconds at a time.

Good luck getting it fixed. When you take it to the dealership to have it checked out, there is a ZERO percent chance that the problem will occur with a tech in the car. There is a 100% chance that the dealership will send you away without performing any fix, since they could not duplicate the problem.

It might be worth mentioning it to them anyhow; maybe they keep track of such reports in some big, secret computer somewhere.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by froMax
On my SE with the Bose I am experiencing intermittent problems with the steering wheel controls. . . Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone know if the controls are wired, rf (maybe), or infrared(doubtfull)?
I've not had this problem, and I frequently use this control to replay a CD track, or skip a track.

I believe the steering wheel controls are wired to the Bose.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:20 PM
SuPeRmOd

have you called the dealer yet? if it happens that often, you should show them easily.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
have you called the dealer yet? if it happens that often, you should show them easily.
Yep....take that sucker to the dealer. I bet though....when you do it will come back with a "UNABLE TO REPRODUCE" diagnostic. I would keep taking it back though until you get it fixed.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Banned

Strange, never failed on mine...I wish the car had a thermostat control on the wheel as well...then Id never have to take my hands off the wheel really.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:58 PM

sayaltitude

If your wife's Pathfinders are like the bose system in the Max, I believe the system is designed to adjust the volume automatically as road noise increases or decreases.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by jc53
. . . the bose system in the Max, I believe the system is designed to adjust the volume automatically as road noise increases or decreases.
That is a feature you can adjust in the on-screen computer. Check your owners' manual for directions.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by jc53
sayaltitude

If your wife's Pathfinders are like the bose system in the Max, I believe the system is designed to adjust the volume automatically as road noise increases or decreases.
Yeah is the Speed Sensative Volume set to HIGH? That will make the volume go up and down as you speed up or slow down.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:49 AM

unplug the nes battery for 10 mins ,then try it again
Old 05-04-2005, 09:23 AM

Problem continues...

I forgot to say in my original post that the problem occurs also when I'm playing a cd. Can't change tracks, but the volume control still works. Turn it off and then on again, and I can change tracks. So, there is some malfunction in the bottom button itself?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:28 AM
SuPeRmOd

has your warranty expired? why worry about it, get it fixed.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:44 PM

Fro - I'm having the same problem. The channel doesn't work but the volume does. I took in to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce the problem..Of course. It happen to me everyday but they couldn't reproduce the problem. So when it happen again later that same day I took it straight to the dealer. They ordered a new switch. I assured them that wouldn't work but what the hell...it's free. I'm sure I will be brining it back within a week for the same problem.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by froMax
On my SE with the Bose I am experiencing intermittent problems with the steering wheel controls. Sometimes when I try to change channels, nothing happens. I have to turn it off and on again to get the control to work. The volume control isn't affected. It used to happen rarely, but now it seems to be happening almost every day. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone know if the controls are wired, rf (maybe), or infrared(doubtful)?
For sure fro been happening for a year now! Very intermitent at first. Sometimes it doesnt work, advance track up on cd or advance radio stations up or even advance tape. I lived in this world of intermitency for a very long time, knowing if I brought it to the dealer I would be wasting my time ( prove it) They need to see the problem. Well I took the live and learn approach. First thing I found was if I turned steering wheel 90 degrees to the right and then pressed advance switch it would work advance cd radio and tape. Sometimes that doesnt work so, the next lesson raise steering wheel with the adjusting switch, that too advanced the cd radio and tape switch working fine. But the problem is still happening, it works it doesnt work. remember nissan the dealer NEEDS to see this for a fix. So I continue to drive. lowering steering wheel works turn signal some time works even hit the **** makes it work advance cd track radio station and tape.On some days my advance switch has a good day. In july I will work very hard on bring my nissans dealers service manager very aquainted with my switch up and down for the cd tracks and radio and tape deck problem. I sure hope they have female mechanic, because I feel with this problem I would be dating them>>>>>>>>
Old 05-05-2005, 08:30 PM
SuPeRmOd

we can advance the cassette witht the wheel controls??? I'll have to unbury one to see this!
I would def. sit with a service rep and show him/her how it messes up.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:27 AM

Had my audio control switch was replaced and it's still jacked up. I told them the switch wasn't the problem but hey, they're techs and I'm a dumb consumer. I will be calling to setup my fourth appointment in regards to this problem. Having said that I WOULDN'T TRADE BABY GURL IN FOR ANYTHING !!!
Old 05-06-2005, 04:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How much better sounding is the Bose system compared to the standard issue?