6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Spark plug issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Spark plug issue

OK, just got my ride back from the Nissan dealer because I felt engine hesitation when crusing (the speed did not matter, just when crusing or coasting). If throttling down, no problem, or at least none that I noticed. The car is a 2004 with 13,500+ miles.

The dealer had it overnight because all his obvious tests (ECU, Air Flow Sensor, injectors, etc.) did not work. The dealer tryed to tell me that I would have to remove my Injen CAI and replace with the stock in order for them to properly run a diagnostic test.

BULL$hit I told them, the CAI is a bolt up specifically made for the Max and it's been on for more than a year without problems, I told them to feed that sh%t to someone else because I wasn't biting. Their goal was to try and make it difficult for me and maybe I would give up on them having to fix it.

To make a long story short, I told them if they tried to make me do it, I would contact Nissan Corporate and file a complaint. 2 hours later the pr%#k attendent calls me back and tells me 2 of my rear bank spark plugs were almost fried, the others were in sad shape and appoligized for their earier request for me to remove my CAI.

OK so what was learned, If your into your Max like I am, do your homework so they cannot babble you with double talk.

Don't always give into the dealership service advice, know how to properly articulate the problem so it can be diagnosed better based on your observations. (no use in having the doctors cut your ***** off when you only had a cold, you told the doctor you wanted help in getting rid of something).

I didn't, but in case you were too excited with your new max to read the maintenance manual. Never add fuel additives to boost the octane level, another cause of frying plugs.

Last, if you do have a lot of performance mods, (CAI, Y-Pipe, Exhaust, pully, etc) you may want to consider upgrading your sparkplugs to Titanium plugs. They can better handle the heat of your modded engine.

So everythig is good, the car is home safe and sound and smiling in the garage after our 90-130 mph run back to the barn. Well someone had to do the dirty work of ringing that b%t*h out.

Thoughts or similar problems anyone???
Old 05-11-2005, 10:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

I use copper plugs. But that's cool that you them. Seems rare that the plugs went out tht early, did you ask them to see them for your own good? I like the cutting the ***** for a cold comment, it's so true. I haven't ever heard of Ti plugs, typically only Cu, Pt, & Ir. News to me, sounds interesting since Ti has very similar properties to Cu. Nice looking Max .. the color is great.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback, the Auto Barn sells TI plugs, visit: http://www.autobarn.net/aut****parpl.html

Price is actually pretty reasonable per plug $5.99

Old 05-12-2005, 08:17 AM

Anytime a car has hesitation problems the few things to check are always fuel and Electical (i.e. Spark). I realize you're into your max, and would like the dealer to fix every little thing, but you could have saved everyones time by checking this yourself. Had you checked the spark plugs and that didn't fix your problem you could have conved that, then your max could have been ready for a more complex dianostic. Seems the dealer had to take a step back, and dumb down there troubleshooting.

In the end I'm glad everything worked out for you, and your max is running good now - correct? I wanted to add, dealing with the service dept in any dealership can be hard, difficult, and frustrating... But just hang on like you did. Keep a level head and it will all work out in the end. Lesson learned, by your example.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:38 AM

Maxium, thanks for the feedback, however engine problems when a vehicle is under warrenty is not my problem, nor should it be a waste of time for me. That's why I buy new. Consider it job security for the mechanics and on there dime & time, not mine. I expect to get what I pay for. I expect the dealers to honor the warrenty service agreement no matter how small the prolem may be, also this was the second time I had taken it to the dealer and the first time they didn't find it. Not sure if it was a Yahoo Mechanic, or what, not my problem, I carried on my normal work day using their rental and gave them time to fix the problem... They did, that's the way the business process should work...
Old 05-12-2005, 10:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

Nicely said ..... That's why I got an extended warranty on my 03. ..
Old 05-12-2005, 12:57 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I can't stand the dealer when they just wanna give up on the car cause of little mods on it, mods that have nothing to do with the prob at the end of all the BS..

why won't they just fix it and shut up, huh...
Old 05-13-2005, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Maxium, thanks for the feedback, however engine problems when a vehicle is under warrenty is not my problem, nor should it be a waste of time for me. That's why I buy new. Consider it job security for the mechanics and on there dime & time, not mine. I expect to get what I pay for. I expect the dealers to honor the warrenty service agreement no matter how small the prolem may be, also this was the second time I had taken it to the dealer and the first time they didn't find it. Not sure if it was a Yahoo Mechanic, or what, not my problem, I carried on my normal work day using their rental and gave them time to fix the problem... They did, that's the way the business process should work...

And there is no problem with that mindset, however there isn't anything wrong with a little elbow greese either. How else are you gonna learn about the mechanics of your max. Just remember next time you bring you max in, it could takes more then a few days to get your max back, as is did in this case. I hear a lot of people complain about down at the dealer. I beleive if everyone was a little more proactive maybe the turn around time would be less... Maybe not, but I guess we'll never know; since there is a small percentage of people out there that actually do thier own work becuase we can't put trust in the service mechanics to do it right. Either way I'm not faulting you for what you did... I could have been a lot worse, good thing it wasn't. The point was more along the lines of learning how to troubleshoot, and things you can look for when the car acts up. Knowing basic mechanics can actually save time when you take the car in.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:58 AM
dot dot dot ...

I do all my work on both my b!tches, unless I found something wrong, then I take it in for warranty work ...
Old 05-13-2005, 09:50 AM

I apply my Elbow grease when it comes to installing mods on my ride, my wifes SUV and doing construction on my home, since I am not an expert on what a dealership may claim I did to the engine that just voided my warrenty, I leave it to them. Better safe than sorry, plus I'm a busy guy and my time is money...
Old 06-09-2005, 02:58 PM
wsu

where to begin?

Originally Posted by Maxium
Anytime a car has hesitation problems the few things to check are always fuel and Electical (i.e. Spark). I realize you're into your max, and would like the dealer to fix every little thing, but you could have saved everyones time by checking this yourself. Had you checked the spark plugs and that didn't fix your problem you could have conved that, then your max could have been ready for a more complex dianostic. Seems the dealer had to take a step back, and dumb down there troubleshooting.

In the end I'm glad everything worked out for you, and your max is running good now - correct? I wanted to add, dealing with the service dept in any dealership can be hard, difficult, and frustrating... But just hang on like you did. Keep a level head and it will all work out in the end. Lesson learned, by your example.
I wish I knew more about my Maxima, not only from the standpoint of holding the service department more accountable, but just from my own interest/enthusiasm for some things mechanical and for the Maxima in particular. When I was younger I used to have to work on cars out of $ necessity (which wasn't always the most enjoyable. We've probably all had the pressure of getting something fixed and put back together or-no ride.), but I never had a car as complex as the Maxima. Now, I don't feel I have the time to be a weekend mechanic, nor do I have the place and tools to do any work. Mechanical work is so far removed from my normal daily stuff that it would take me some time to get back in to things. Also, I really don't miss having to degrease tools, use GoJo on my hands, deal with used oil and run oily rags and clothes through the wash. All of that said, I find it fascinating and admirable that people put the time and $ in to modifying/improving their cars. And I used to find it satisfying to select different spark plugs, gap them yourself, and torque them in, and to pour fresh oil myself in to the crankcase. I wish I had the wherewithall to make some of the other changes to one's Maxima that I've read about on the site. Some aftermarket brakes and drilled rotors would be nice, or perhaps a different (AT) shifter ****. While I don't really like the standard grille that much, I haven't seen any aftermarket options that left me feeling like I absolutely had to switch mine out.

I suppose I've rambled somewhat afield here. My intent originally was to make the point that while some people may truly want to do more with their cars, they may hardly know how/where to begin because they don't have the experience or aptitude to jump in on their own. Some people are this way with computers and have considerable anxiety regarding various technologies. Also, in many respects it is easier and simpler to take the car to the service department (especially if it is still under warranty). A potential pitfall of this situation is that you have to trust that the service department is treating you honorably, because you will typically not be as much in the know than if you did the work yourself. But then, we all have to trust others all of the time. I've had a lot of cavities in my life. While I've never really seen an actual cavity (other than some in dental x-rays), I trust that the dentist is being honest with me regarding his/her diagnosis, even though the dentist could have a conflict of interest in that overdiagnosis could be more profitable. If you are an enthusiast about your car or have more experience than others, things that may seem simple or straightforward to you might seem daunting to others. Imagine drawing up a labor contract if you had no experience or aptitude in law or analyzing a solution for heavy metals if you didn't know much about chemistry. For those persons in or around these vocations, the tasks may seem simple enough, but for most of us, these are likely specialized enough jobs that though we may be quite interested, we leave the heavy lifting to those more conversant with the work, and we are comfortable with that, even while at the same time we wish we knew more.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:19 AM
GrandPa

I wouldn't want to mess around with the engine if its still under warrenty. It seems like its a pain just to change the plugs. I think that you need to be a computer expert to work on these new cars. Also not everyone including my self has the tools or the space to work on their own cars. Just my 2 cents. Later Warren
Old 06-12-2005, 02:59 AM

You cant really knock the dealer for the request about the CAI in this case IMO. They tried troubleshooting it the first time with no luck. It's perfectly logical that they want to try it again with everything being as close to what it's supposed to be as possible. Now if they flat out refused to touch it right off the bat you would have an arguement, but sounds like they gave it a shot as is before requesting that.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by C17chief
You cant really knock the dealer for the request about the CAI in this case IMO. They tried troubleshooting it the first time with no luck. It's perfectly logical that they want to try it again with everything being as close to what it's supposed to be as possible. Now if they flat out refused to touch it right off the bat you would have an arguement, but sounds like they gave it a shot as is before requesting that.
Yes they did try again, however the first time, the diagnostic computer readout was indicating a bad fuel injector on the rear bank, they did not have enough time to finish the work so they put my car back together and asked me to bring it back, when I did (10 days later), the bringing it back to stock issue came up. I stated the mechanic did not finish his work from the first time and I wasn't about to take my ride back home (35 miles each way) and then bring it back a third time.

Bottom line, I demanded my warrenty service, they complied, and fixed the problem.