6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

CAI Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

CAI Intercooler

I was thinking about having the following mod Custom fabricated for my Max..

Do you guys reccon it would be worth it , I have had a quote and it will cost about $450 USD to get done.

What the mod is to fit a custom made Short intercooler same as used on supercharged and Turbo cars. This would conect up directly to the CAI filter.

It would fit into the lower air dam behind the bumper and would be resonably discrete.

The manufacturer seems to think it will be a dead easy fit and they stock universal intercoolers for just this purpose. They estimate that is would provide a power increase in the region of 15-25 HP.

The other mod they provide is a mega cooler box where they pipe refrigeration module off your A/C and put a condensor set up in the Airbox. which adds a minute amout of water plus very cold air into the induction tract.

You thoughts Gentlemen ?

Old 05-23-2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by blackpaladin67
I was thinking about having the following mod Custom fabricated for my Max..

Do you guys reccon it would be worth it , I have had a quote and it will cost about $450 USD to get done.

What the mod is to fit a custom made Short intercooler same as used on supercharged and Turbo cars. This would conect up directly to the CAI filter.

It would fit into the lower air dam behind the bumper and would be resonably discrete.

The manufacturer seems to think it will be a dead easy fit and they stock universal intercoolers for just this purpose. They estimate that is would provide a power increase in the region of 15-25 HP.

The other mod they provide is a mega cooler box where they pipe refrigeration module off your A/C and put a condensor set up in the Airbox. which adds a minute amout of water plus very cold air into the induction tract.

You thoughts Gentlemen ?

Thats rice time 1000!!
Sorry, I just cant stress it enough. If theres no turbo, there should be no intercooler. Simple as that.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:14 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

yea cuz amb. air needs to me cooled back down to amb. temps.

WTF are you kidding me?!
Old 05-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ok That's that I am just going to have to go all out

Ok That's that I am just going to have to go all out , buy myself a can opener and squeeze this baby in ...

Twin Turbo 3.5lt with output of 690HP

Then I woke up and took my hand off....
Old 05-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

First post

I debated it a bit because running the A/C is a clear loss of HP but I do know cold air is best for an intake. Curious to see someone do it. I'm not looking for a race Max my other cars fast enough.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:22 PM

So basically it would act like a ram air system?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:52 PM
Banned

intercooling non-pressurized air won't give you enough performance gain.
in other words, intercoolers are expensive, they're worth the money with turbo and they're not without turbo/supercharger.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

clearly you dont know what boosting does to air temps. compressed air gets hot so it needs to be cooled off. an intercooler will do absolutly nothing to an N/A car.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
clearly you dont know what boosting does to air temps. compressed air gets hot so it needs to be cooled off. an intercooler will do absolutly nothing to an N/A car.
So why does my carburated car run faster on cooler days with the engine temp remaining the same? To me cold air is better. I do mean cold, like A/C air, not those ambient air mods they call cold air kits. My A'C is almost always on in my Max. There should be a way to reroute some of that air for the engine. Sounds crazy right. BTW I'm not talking about supercharging.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by -AoW-JP
So why does my carburated car run faster on cooler days with the engine temp remaining the same? To me cold air is better. I do mean cold, like A/C air, not those ambient air mods they call cold air kits. My A'C is almost always on in my Max. There should be a way to reroute some of that air for the engine. Sounds crazy right. BTW I'm not talking about supercharging.
So, by putting additional load on the engine, a/c compressor, you are planning to get more net horsepower gain from cool air than the compressor consumes. I never studied law but I believe that violates some of the fundamental laws of physics. Let us know how that works out.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:57 PM

you don't need one of them fancy turbo's
all you need is a tornado!!! those bad boys are only 60 bucks!
lolz
Old 05-25-2005, 07:26 AM

Coming from the Honda world, I recall some years back that some company had made a intercooler type intake for either a Civic or Integra. Not sure what's company, probably APC or something.

As I'm typing this I found it: http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10101
Old 05-25-2005, 07:56 AM
dot dot dot ...

Come on people ... ........ for that price get some headers and customize them so they fit ...
Old 05-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by ChiMaxSL
Coming from the Honda world, I recall some years back that some company had made a intercooler type intake for either a Civic or Integra. Not sure what's company, probably APC or something.

As I'm typing this I found it: http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10101
An intercooler look for non-turbo cars is the ultimate way to bring cold air into your engine...
Old 05-25-2005, 11:07 AM
dot dot dot ...

It's psuedo . . . . IC will only work with FI ... That's just FYI for you guys ...
Old 05-25-2005, 07:46 PM

We're on the right track here... but not the right answer.
As most of you have stated already, there is no need for an intercooler unless if we have foreced induction. It'll be the same temp because the filter and intercooler will be in the same area with the same ambient temperature.
-AoW-JP, the reason why your car runs better in cooler temps is because you're getting denser air into your engine, but adding an intercooler to our cars will not make the weather any cooler.

However, we will not produce more power than what's availabe... Physics. Having the A/C on will only reduce performance in our cars because it takes power to run our a/c compressors. Even if we routed some of that cold air to our motors, we already used up energy to make a lot of that cold air that cooled us down, so the remainder that's routed away is not going to be enough to compensate for the loss through the compressor...
The intake that looks like an intercooler is a great idea... they even have a plate to block bugs/water from hitting the filter element. However, it's still just another cold air intake... We need a turbo/supercharger kit in order to make our cars significantly faster... everything else just helps out the throttle response a little and won't turn our cars into super racing machines.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:53 PM

Oops edited the first post by mistake any way like i said

"I debated it a bit because running the A/C is a clear loss of HP but I do know cold air is best for an intake. Curious to see someone do it. I'm not looking for a race Max my other cars fast enough."

My A"C is almostalways on in my Max so why not divert some of that to the intake?