6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cattman cat-back exhaust for 6th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
I'm actually getting a catback set up with the y-pipe eventually...

what I'm really waiting for is how that rear bumper Redmax is making going to come out, this will deside on what I get... cause if he makes a wide muffler opening I will go with the dual cattman, if he makes it with a round opening, I will do the greddy...
Do you know when? And how can we get the front bumper he has on his home page?
Old 08-05-2005, 10:42 AM
GrandPa

Give him a call. Cory is a great guy. He will answer any questions that you have.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:22 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by 20"by10"
Do you know when? And how can we get the front bumper he has on his home page?
yea Cory.. his org name is Redmax...

here is his site:
http://www.redlinemax.com/3/splash.html

send him a pm or so, he's on regularly..
http://forums.maxima.org/member.php?userid=420
Old 08-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Quick question, related topic...

As I look ahead at the 6th gen exhaust projects that will follow the Cattman Performance catback, I'd like to get some perspective from you guys on catalytic converters.

We haven't sold test pipes (replaces the cat with a straight tubing section) because I believe that catalytic converters are generally a good thing everywhere on the planet, whether they're required by law or not. I'm not critical of those who remove them, but we don't sell parts that facilitate their removal. [Yes, we do sell "off road only" parts that eliminate pre-cats, but I make a practical distinction there.]

This is a simple matter when the cats are individual components, but as you all know, they've been integrated with the y-pipe since 04, and we're getting ready to develop a performance version as a stock y-pipe replacement and as the lower end of a header system (could be one design or two).

If we build in the EPA-approved catalytic converters we sell already for the gen4/5 (the 2.5" Cattman FastCat) it would "cost" very little power over a "cat-less" version because they're the most efficient street-legal cat available, but this will add about $150 to the price of each y-pipe or header set.

If we make them without cats, we break our own "rule" and look pretty hypocritical for abandoning our position the first time it really conflicts with opportunity.

There will be a lot of people who won't want to remove and reinstall their performance y-pipe every time they go in for emissions, so I know there will be some kind of a market for "FastCat-included" y-pipes and header/y-pipe systems, but I'd like to bounce this off of reality and get some feedback on the marketability of these parts from you guys. What do you think, should we make one version (cat only) or two? All useful comments are appreciated.

BTW, let's stay off the ethics angle, that's each person's own decision and isn't the point of this post, I mentioned it only to explain why we're wrassling with this decision.

[And, I'll say it so no one else has to - "hey Cattman, why don't you get the &($^*# catbacks finished before you worry about the next part!" Which is legitimate, but we've been waiting on subcomponents and I think everything's on hand to make up Deus's system. I hope that gets done this week.]

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 08-28-2005, 04:40 PM

wuz up with headers Mr CATT? we are trying to get crazy and see if the altima ser headers fit out 6th gen.... can you make our job easier and make some for us...

you have a sale right here.. after winter I will buy your whole set up..
Old 08-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey Cattman, I'm fairly new to this site and hadn't seen this thread before. I got a little excited at the thought of a company going ahead and stepping it up for the 6th Gen. I feel that the '04 and above Maxima market is very underestimated. The marketability of these products is unreal. I wish that you all would have done something with respect to a Y-pipe set-up a little earlier. I would definitely have bought the Y-pipe/header combo in a heartbeat. Because of the lack of alternatives, I've got the Custom Enterprise Y-pipe coming in this week which fits the GReddy SPII exhaust I have. That set-up appears to work for several 6th Gen owners and I'm pretty positive they have sold numerous units. If you all could come up with a nice, quality header system for the 6th Gen, you could easily beat the competition to the punch. I KNOW they would sell like hotcakes. Also, if you did come up with a y-pipe/header combo and that's it, I would DEFINITELY consider getting rid of the CE pipe. Although, obviously, a system that is versatile and allows max owners to just get the headers which would fit the CE pipe would be a plus, as well. As far as the cats, I agree they are a good thing. However, I think in many states you don't have to worry about it, so you can get by without them. So for performance, the less restrictive, the better in my opinion. Finally, I feel quality should come first, so I would be willing to pay the extra cash for whatever is needed to ensure the quality, durability and performance of any of your products. I will buy the first set of headers if you get some!!!! 6th Gen owners are so in need of headers for the 6th Gen that they are going to try and fit headers from an Altima or in the alternative, earlier year Maximas. Please come up with something tight for the 6th Gen Max soon. The demand is there, the product is not. PS. if you need anyone else for testing, let me know......PEACE OUT......
Old 08-28-2005, 07:27 PM

I would say you should make y-pipes with and without cats. I'm sure there are a few of us who have "contacts" and not having cats won't be a problem. But to reach a broader target audience you should definitely produce a set with cats. I would definitely buy them with cats. NY is strict with emissions and even if you pass yearly inspection a cop who pulls you over will look under your car and can impound it on the spot. JMHO

Originally Posted by Cattman
As I look ahead at the 6th gen exhaust projects that will follow the Cattman Performance catback, I'd like to get some perspective from you guys on catalytic converters.

We haven't sold test pipes (replaces the cat with a straight tubing section) because I believe that catalytic converters are generally a good thing everywhere on the planet, whether they're required by law or not. I'm not critical of those who remove them, but we don't sell parts that facilitate their removal. [Yes, we do sell "off road only" parts that eliminate pre-cats, but I make a practical distinction there.]

This is a simple matter when the cats are individual components, but as you all know, they've been integrated with the y-pipe since 04, and we're getting ready to develop a performance version as a stock y-pipe replacement and as the lower end of a header system (could be one design or two).

If we build in the EPA-approved catalytic converters we sell already for the gen4/5 (the 2.5" Cattman FastCat) it would "cost" very little power over a "cat-less" version because they're the most efficient street-legal cat available, but this will add about $150 to the price of each y-pipe or header set.

If we make them without cats, we break our own "rule" and look pretty hypocritical for abandoning our position the first time it really conflicts with opportunity.

There will be a lot of people who won't want to remove and reinstall their performance y-pipe every time they go in for emissions, so I know there will be some kind of a market for "FastCat-included" y-pipes and header/y-pipe systems, but I'd like to bounce this off of reality and get some feedback on the marketability of these parts from you guys. What do you think, should we make one version (cat only) or two? All useful comments are appreciated.

BTW, let's stay off the ethics angle, that's each person's own decision and isn't the point of this post, I mentioned it only to explain why we're wrassling with this decision.

[And, I'll say it so no one else has to - "hey Cattman, why don't you get the &($^*# catbacks finished before you worry about the next part!" Which is legitimate, but we've been waiting on subcomponents and I think everything's on hand to make up Deus's system. I hope that gets done this week.]

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 08-28-2005, 07:32 PM

OK, there are 3 cats from what I read here. Getting a y-pipe eliminates 1. Headers would eliminate the other 2. I would love to up the hp on my max (must even the turf with the acura rl), but I would also like to be environmentally conscientious.

So my question is...If I remove one cat and only have the two on the stock manifolds will that still affect my performance? Will the two remaining stock cats be effective enough? What if I go the other way, deleting two cats with headers and keeping the one center cat?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm just trying to edumacate my self on the subject...maxb
Old 08-28-2005, 07:38 PM

I say the hell with y-pipes, and make the headers with and without cats... you can't beat the 20+ hp you get from the headers vs. the 10 or so from the Y..
Old 08-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by maxdizzle1
Hey Cattman, I'm fairly new to this site and hadn't seen this thread before. I got a little excited at the thought of a company going ahead and stepping it up for the 6th Gen. I feel that the '04 and above Maxima market is very underestimated. The marketability of these products is unreal. I wish that you all would have done something with respect to a Y-pipe set-up a little earlier. I would definitely have bought the Y-pipe/header combo in a heartbeat. Because of the lack of alternatives, I've got the Custom Enterprise Y-pipe coming in this week which fits the GReddy SPII exhaust I have. That set-up appears to work for several 6th Gen owners and I'm pretty positive they have sold numerous units. If you all could come up with a nice, quality header system for the 6th Gen, you could easily beat the competition to the punch. I KNOW they would sell like hotcakes. Also, if you did come up with a y-pipe/header combo and that's it, I would DEFINITELY consider getting rid of the CE pipe. Although, obviously, a system that is versatile and allows max owners to just get the headers which would fit the CE pipe would be a plus, as well. As far as the cats, I agree they are a good thing. However, I think in many states you don't have to worry about it, so you can get by without them. So for performance, the less restrictive, the better in my opinion. Finally, I feel quality should come first, so I would be willing to pay the extra cash for whatever is needed to ensure the quality, durability and performance of any of your products. I will buy the first set of headers if you get some!!!! 6th Gen owners are so in need of headers for the 6th Gen that they are going to try and fit headers from an Altima or in the alternative, earlier year Maximas. Please come up with something tight for the 6th Gen Max soon. The demand is there, the product is not. PS. if you need anyone else for testing, let me know......PEACE OUT......
Exactly what I was going to say, ONLY BETTER...
Old 08-29-2005, 12:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If the cat back system gets done this week, expect pics and posts from me as to power, sound, etc.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:09 AM

C'mon C'mon. Git'er'dun.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
wuz up with headers Mr CATT? we are trying to get crazy and see if the altima ser headers fit out 6th gen.... can you make our job easier and make some for us...

you have a sale right here.. after winter I will buy your whole set up..

Headers are a definite project for the 6th gen, and have been planned all along. Those who have followed one of our development projects can probably confirm two things - 1) it always takes longer than expected, but 2) we always get where we want to be in the end.

I won't know how the overall header/y-pipe system will be configured until we get into the project. If we can make a y-pipe that can be exchanged with the stock y-pipe (as a y-pipe upgrade only), and allow enough room to do what we want with the manifold primaries, then there will be one design and in theory it would work with CE's y-pipe if you had one already. If its like the 95-03 headers, we couldn't make the manifolds the way we wanted with a y-pipe that could be exchanged with stock, so the y-pipe in that system is unique to the headers.

Like I say, as soon as we can get the 95-03 headers into production, we'll begin the 04+ Maxima header project and plan to have something available later in the Fall. No need to make do with substitutes.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 08-29-2005, 04:34 PM

thats what I'm talking about.... hopefully it will be in time for me to get the whole set up at once...

thanx CATT...
Old 09-06-2005, 05:20 AM

Looks great would definitly buy that setup. I would like to keep it as close as possible as the stock ones. I 'm not a really big fan of the single large exhaust outlet.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

nevermind.

BCC
Old 09-09-2005, 09:03 PM

I should have the exhaust shipped and installed next week, perhaps by Wednesday. Ill keep you all informed.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:38 PM

Deus, what is the story with exhaust? Did you get it? How is it?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by mroleg
Deus, what is the story with exhaust? Did you get it? How is it?
Deus has it now, and I'm sure we'll be hearing from him soon.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 09-16-2005, 02:10 PM

Deus has it now, and I'm sure we'll be hearing from him soon.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
I'm sure that with the whole cops & getting towed business he's had his hands full. I'm sure he'll post about it when he has a chance.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:01 PM

I havent received it yet. Waiting . . . waiting . . . .
Old 09-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I havent received it yet. Waiting . . . waiting . . . .
Ah, well I'd been told it shipped two days ago. You will hopefully receive it today since its practically a cross-town delivery (big town). Give me a call when it arrives.

BCC
Old 09-18-2005, 09:33 PM

Hmmm... I was kinda hoping we'd have something over the weekend, but I guess not.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:26 AM

Hmmm... I'm ready to drop some money into upgrading my exhaust, but I don't know when this is gonna be ready. Is there an ETA on this? And about how much would it run me to have it installed (or something similar)?
Old 09-19-2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by viguera
I'm sure that with the whole cops & getting towed business he's had his hands full. I'm sure he'll post about it when he has a chance.
YIPES!!! Hope that turns out okay.

Anyway if it's not until springtime that the Cattman
headers/y-pipe (with cats)/catback is a complete system, that gives me time to save up!
Old 09-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I love the look of the exhaust.

I personally love the look of the exhaust. I live in Northern Virginia where it's mandatory to have annual safety and emissions inspections. I don't want to have to worry about passing inspections, but would like the best setup possible to increase HP gains. IMO, what is the point in buying the after market exhaust if it dosen't benefit anything. Help me out on the best setup to purchase. Will I need the Y-pipe? I am willing to buy it. I am not a big fan of wasting money. I also want to achieve the quitest ride possible under normal driving conditions, but want that bark when demanded. I hope what I am asking for is not too naive. What do you suggest? Thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 08:16 PM

Sorry about the delay guys. I was out of town and busy at work. But . . . . I got my Cattman exhaust and got it installed!!!! It sounds great! Its more like a sports car than a luxury car. It has quite a snarl to it, but not to the point of being obnoxious. At full throttle, it really sounds great!!! There is clearly much more power. Throttle response is better and full throttle power is great. I dont need no stinkin dyno!! There is an optional resonator that I have not recieved to test yet, but Ill keep you all posted. Also, Ill post before and after pics. Just a bit crunched for time. Contact Cattman for details of prices and shipping dates.

By the way, I have had a number of people in my car who rode in the car before and after the exhaust. All liked it after, including my teenage kids (of course!). One person did think it was too loud, but that is the exception and that was at full bore going up hill.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:42 PM

They sound BETTER than the Greddy!

Having had the Greddy System on my Maxima and listening to the audio/video recorded on this thread I am completely positive this Cattman setup is *Louder*, and sounds *BETTER*.

I'm going to say that I didn't expect these CattMans to sound this good. I seriously thought to myself....."oh no, not another custom crap job".

Boy was I completely wrong.

In addition, I was quite attached to the Greddy look. After seeing this system in the pics provided I'm going to say the CattMans look much better.

Again, to recap:

**This is the BEST sounding exhaust I've ever heard a 6th Gen** (and this is from a stinkin video!)

You know what,
**this is the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard on a Maxima, period.**

If your in the market for a new exhaust and thinking about the Greddy, forget it. Get the CattMans Pay the extra dough cause they seriously don't sound this good (or look as good), period.

-Former Greddy and Maxima Owner,
JasonJM

(P.S. if i still had the greddy setup I'd be pi$$ed right now).
Old 09-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Sorry about the delay guys. I was out of town and busy at work. But . . . . I got my Cattman exhaust and got it installed!!!! It sounds great! Its more like a sports car than a luxury car. It has quite a snarl to it, but not to the point of being obnoxious. At full throttle, it really sounds great!!! There is clearly much more power. Throttle response is better and full throttle power is great. I dont need no stinkin dyno!! There is an optional resonator that I have not recieved to test yet, but Ill keep you all posted. Also, Ill post before and after pics. Just a bit crunched for time. Contact Cattman for details of prices and shipping dates.

By the way, I have had a number of people in my car who rode in the car before and after the exhaust. All liked it after, including my teenage kids (of course!). One person did think it was too loud, but that is the exception and that was at full bore going up hill.
When you get a chance, get some pictures up...
Old 09-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Come and git 'em - Cattman G6 catbacks are ready!

OK, we're ready to go. The new Cattman Performance 6th gen catbacks are due to arrive by Friday, and we'll have boxes, so its time to lock and load. Stainless steel throughout, 2.5" mid-pipe tubing and 2" back to the Magnaflow mufflers with integrated dual tips. All components are bolted together with 3/8" steel flanges instead of being held together with cheap clamps.

We're starting out with a choice of resonated and unresonated versions. $800 for the basic version + $40 more if you'd like a resonator. Deus indicates his finished exhaust has a sporty note, enjoyed almost universally amongst him and his cohorts, so I'd emphasize that this is with a performance y-pipe and no cat - a combination that surely makes the exhaust run louder than it would with stock components. So it seems you can't go too far wrong either way, I'll be interested to hear the feedback after a few of these are out there.

Initially there is just one version that goes the y-pipe to the tips. We may try other configurations as time goes on, but since our muffler/rear sections connect to the the mid-pipe with 1) flanges, and 2) follow a slightly different tubing path than the stock system, its not possible to use different mufflers with this system.

We've had a couple of orders sneak under the door already, but there's 25 available in this first batch and we "officially" start taking orders for them today. Ring us up at 520.730.9309, 9-5 mountain standard time, M-F - we look forward to hearing from you.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 09-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by shawnada1
I personally love the look of the exhaust. I live in Northern Virginia where it's mandatory to have annual safety and emissions inspections. I don't want to have to worry about passing inspections, but would like the best setup possible to increase HP gains. IMO, what is the point in buying the after market exhaust if it dosen't benefit anything. Help me out on the best setup to purchase. Will I need the Y-pipe? I am willing to buy it. I am not a big fan of wasting money. I also want to achieve the quitest ride possible under normal driving conditions, but want that bark when demanded. I hope what I am asking for is not too naive. What do you suggest? Thanks

I tried to send this as a PM, but the system wouldn't allow it through to you for some reason. No worries about seeming naive - you don't, but everybody starts somewhere, welcome to maxima.org!

You can go at every aspect of this stuff incrementally. Choose the right part in one category and enjoy it on your car for a while before you decide on the next. For a few reasons, its typically best to install performance parts one at a time unless its an advantage to install >1 part during an installation (like putting a clutch and flywheel in at the same time). That way if something is not to your liking, you know exactly which part is responsible - which can be difficult to do if you install several parts at once.

The sequence of adding performance parts is typically not important either. Give this new catback exhaust a try, because it does make substantial power, and then you may want to try out a performance Y-pipe.

Of course, by that time, we may have our header/cat/y-pipe system on the market and you could choose to go that route - our complete exhaust on the 03 VQ35DE Maxima makes 35hp at the wheel, and the same sort of system should do at least that well (and I suspect somewhat better) on the 04+.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 09-29-2005, 08:48 AM

Will this set-up pass emissions testing?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:09 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by JoesRedMax
Will this set-up pass emissions testing?

The catback exhaust I'm referring to is positioned after your primary catalytic converter (which is an integral part of your y-pipe), so it has no effect on the car's emissions either way - everything that will happen (emissions-wise) to that exhaust stream has already occurred before it enters the catback.

So, whether all is good and your car passes emissions, or the cat is gone or removed and the car won't pass emissions, the catback won't make any difference.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 09-29-2005, 09:28 AM

We're starting out with a choice of resonated and unresonated versions. $800 for the basic version + $40 more if you'd like a resonator. Deus indicates his finished exhaust has a sporty note, enjoyed almost universally amongst him and his cohorts, so I'd emphasize that this is with a performance y-pipe and no cat - a combination that surely makes the exhaust run louder than it would with stock components. So it seems you can't go too far wrong either way, I'll be interested to hear the feedback after a few of these are out there.

Initially there is just one version that goes the y-pipe to the tips. We may try other configurations as time goes on, but since our muffler/rear sections connect to the the mid-pipe with 1) flanges, and 2) follow a slightly different tubing path than the stock system, its not possible to use different mufflers with this system.
Well the only "bad" thing that I see with this setup is that it seems to be restricted to the Magnaflows. If you want to get the setup without the mufflers (either to shave costs or because you don't want the louder ones), it doesn't look like you have much of a choice. If I'm reading it right, people that already have aftermarket axle-back setups are out of luck, and people that want to keep the OEM mufflers can't hook up because of the tubing.

It's a nice setup, but I don't know if everybody will appreciate the lack of flexibility... especially since the people that are most likely to jump on this probably already have done work on their exhaust.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Well the only "bad" thing that I see with this setup is that it seems to be restricted to the Magnaflows. If you want to get the setup without the mufflers (either to shave costs or because you don't want the louder ones), it doesn't look like you have much of a choice. If I'm reading it right, people that already have aftermarket axle-back setups are out of luck, and people that want to keep the OEM mufflers can't hook up because of the tubing.

It's a nice setup, but I don't know if everybody will appreciate the lack of flexibility... especially since the people that are most likely to jump on this probably already have done work on their exhaust.

Just my 2 cents...

Rather than "bad" let's just say its a limitation and its certainly not the end of our exhaust development process for the car - just the first iteration. For those who want a complete system - and many are looking for exactly that - this is a pretty good way to go.

This is just our first configuration of this part. What you're suggesting would be possible if the system could be fully modularized, making all the components interchangeable with the stock parts as we have with our 95-03 catbacks. We'd prefer to do it that way too, but once you get into the project you find there are some practical limitations that it may or may not be possible to overcome and still make the part in the quality way we like to do things. For those who are interested, I'll try to describe the circumstances that make this challenging.

First, I highly prefer connecting the components with bolt-together flanges everywhere possible, rather than using clamps like the stock system.

Second, differences between the stock and performance tubing diameters make it difficult integrate the parts together in a system that utilizes clamps, which requires the joined tubing sections to be more or less the same diameter (one is expanded or contracted to slip over or into the other).

We can swap our mufflers and mid-pipes with the stock parts on the 95-03 because they bolt together and we just make the flanges match - doesn't matter if the tubing is a different diameter from a fitment perspective. But you can't clamp two different-sized tubing sections together... See my point?]

Third, sometimes it doesn't make sense, or its not possible, to follow exactly the same path as the stock tubing. That means that its not possible, for example, to create a connection point between two parts at exactly the same position in 3D space that the stock system does. I won't say that this would be a major contraint in this system, I'd have to look at the car closely again. This also illustrates why you can only attach another brand of aftermarket mufflers if those, and this system, are both designed to be interchangeable with stock and I doubt that there are any other aftermarket systems out there that are.

Bottom line is that we're always looking for ways to improve the quality and, in this case, the utility of the parts we make and that will definitely be the case here. This full system will work very well for those who need a full system, and we're already discussing spin-offs. We will be doing other configurations along the lines of what you're describing, to the extent that its practical/possible.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 09-29-2005, 12:30 PM

Good job Brian would like to see some pix on a Max as well as a sound file, but this looks like the way I want to go, especially with the dual outlets I am not a big fan of the oversized single outlets, looks a little too ricey for me, but that is just my opnion.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:40 PM

...some stuff...
I see your points, and they're very valid... but what worries me is that you have a kick-*** product like this, and it MIGHT not be received as well as it could have because of that limitation. Then you'd probably think "oh, we did the 6th gen cat-back and it didn't sell well", and that affects the development of future products or spin-offs.

Hopefully you'll sell hundreds of these, to show you that there's a raging demand for 6th gen aftermarket exhausts, but I'd hate to see the handful of hard-core early adopters here get turned off because they'd have to drop their pipes, and you take that as a sign that there's no market for it.

With that said, I'm personally gonna have to wait until I hear it in person... hopefully one of the East Coast early adopters has already jumped on it and I can check it out one of these days. I'm sure some people will love it, but different people have different tastes...
Old 09-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

You may be right, but like I say, I'm not sure that its even possible for us to completely modularize the system so that the midpipe and mufflers are interchangeable with the stock components. The system we're selling meets a core need in the Maxima community and we are, after all, Cattman Performance. We've been developing Maxima parts for 8 years now, and don't get discouraged easily.

The cars are on the streets, there's no shortage of owners who'd like to increase their performance and some of them have buying habits that push them towards our quality and value (rather than just price), and I'm sure we'll do well with our exhaust line for the 6th gen Maxima. Like I say, we can experiment with other conifigurations over time - that sort of incremental improvement, which all of our parts go, is the essence of innovation.

I'd also point out that we see customers buy Cattman parts to replace other performance parts all the time. Its not like the old part gets thrown away, they seem to sell pretty easily on the used parts forum or between friends.

I understand that you'd want to hear it first. You've got to know that it will suit your tastes before spending that kind of $, but it doesn't seem like too much of a gamble. Visually you either like it or you don't (and the previous pictures on this site show are very representative of the finished system). I suspect that there will be very few who don't like the pitch and tone, and with the resonator option there's a major choice in terms of volume (and it seems that even with a performance y-pipe and no resonator, its not "too loud"). I think our customers will find that its an optimal setup.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

I see your points, and they're very valid... but what worries me is that you have a kick-*** product like this, and it MIGHT not be received as well as it could have because of that limitation. Then you'd probably think "oh, we did the 6th gen cat-back and it didn't sell well", and that affects the development of future products or spin-offs.

Hopefully you'll sell hundreds of these, to show you that there's a raging demand for 6th gen aftermarket exhausts, but I'd hate to see the handful of hard-core early adopters here get turned off because they'd have to drop their pipes, and you take that as a sign that there's no market for it.

With that said, I'm personally gonna have to wait until I hear it in person... hopefully one of the East Coast early adopters has already jumped on it and I can check it out one of these days. I'm sure some people will love it, but different people have different tastes...
Old 09-30-2005, 07:55 AM
Preacha

How much power does the resonator take away?....or is it just to lower the volume?

Old 09-30-2005, 09:11 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Preacha
How much power does the resonator take away?....or is it just to lower the volume?

The resonator won't take away any power, it's a straight-through design, with no louvers protruding into the airstream.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

Quick Reply: Cattman cat-back exhaust for 6th Gen