6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cattman cat-back exhaust for 6th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cattman cat-back exhaust for 6th Gen

Cattman will be coming out with a cat back exhaust for the 6th Gen. My car was used to test fit the exhaust. After removing the stock exhaust take a look at the HUGE flattened area of the exhaust in this picture:

I put a regular round piece of pipe near it to show the difference.

Also, look at the restriction at the front of the stock resonator:

Cattman and the exhaust fabricator teamed up to seek to keep the exhaust sysem in the same shape as stock, yet, it will use flange attachments rather than the silly slip attachment points to allow greater flexibility in exhaust configurations. Also, there will be an option for a system with and without a resonator. When the prototype system was fitted to the car and tack welded, it sounded really really awesome. I have a couple of audio/video clips if you guys want me to post those.

Here is a pic of the product on my car:
Old 07-13-2005, 08:18 PM

Here are more pics:

This is Brian Catts posing with the car, haha.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Newbie just Registered

That exhaust system. I don't have the resonator problem
Old 07-13-2005, 08:21 PM

that looks sweet. you should powder coat them...LOL j/k

(off topic: dude, what wax are you using, it looks like a mirror!)
Old 07-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Newbie just Registered

That exhaust system. I don't have the resonator problem , I thought about the replacing the entire piping, but I 'd wat and see what other systems will be available. Was there any mentioned of pricing?
Old 07-13-2005, 08:23 PM

Here are some shots from underneath:

Below you can see the flanges that connect the mufflers to the exhaust pipes:

By the way, I removed my Stillen rear body kit section for purposes of fitting the exhaust system to a stock car. However, the exhaust will be made to fit both stock bodies and the Stillen kit.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-13-2005, 08:31 PM

You will have to talk to Cattman about pricing. Its a quality system with lots of attention paid to design and fitment. Whatever the price, its worth it, I'm sure. Production should start in August, I'm told.

I really love the sound this system makes. Quiet at idle, and nasty at full throttle, high rpm. With the resonator option, it would be even quieter. When I have the prototype installed, Ill make more audio/video clips and give you my impression and comments.

Pal: I thought about maybe getting the mufflers powdercoated bronze but Im concerned about discolration. I use Meguiers Gold wax. BTW, I hadnt washed my car in a few days when those pics were taken.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:44 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

That is a great looking system. I like the fact that it keeps the dual exhaust on each side.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:28 PM

Very Nice!
Old 07-13-2005, 11:07 PM

Very nice. Though i'd probably like oval pipes this will do. I'll start saving now. Keep us posted on this.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:25 PM

One more pic from underneath. Ghis is where the old resonator and that flattened pipe was. Note the huge difference in size compared to the squashed pipe:
Old 07-13-2005, 11:54 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
One more pic from underneath. Ghis is where the old resonator and that flattened pipe was. Note the huge difference in size compared to the squashed pipe:
For daily driving, would you opt for a resonator? Looks like it can get pretty loud, especially with the y-pipe.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:23 AM

About the crimped Y adapter...I have been saying this all along. How does changing this pipe affect the backpressure? Is it safe and reasonable? If so I also believe that if one were to go to their local GMS, they can design and fit one on (for a reasonable fee). If you look at this and the AEM V2 CAI and add the Y Pipe, there should be a noticable difference in HP. I wonder if advancing the timing 2 degrees to 17 would help the HP too....after all most of us here use high test or Super as we call it up here in Montreal! Can you please ask them about this Deus?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:12 AM

ANy crimps in teh exhaust system affect backpressure by increasing the pressure. Without getting into a dissertation on exhaust system backpressure, generally, the more back pressure, the more horsepower lost. There are exceptions. BUt in my opinion, if you have crimps like those found in our stock exhaust, and you eleiminate them, you are going to see gains of about 10-20 horses, probably 15. Our exhaust system has lots of crimps, from the y-pipe on down to the tiny twin tail pipes. You think the tail pipes arent tiny? Look closely at where they come out of the muffler. About an inch in diameter.

I think a 2 deg advancement would be good if there is no knocking.

Anyway, I hope that answers ur questions.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:03 AM

i could be wrong but that pipe looks like it is a smaller diameter than the oem exaust, but obviuosly it does not have th restrictions.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:05 AM

This is a very nice looking setup, IMHO. I'm not a fan of the "big tube" and this keeps the stock look (at least it is a reasonable facsimile).

I don't think actual pricing has been set yet, but a little birdy told me to expect this to be in the 8 to 9 Franklin range. Considering the quality stainless steel and design, that seems fair.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:01 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I think they did an awesome job, your ride looks slamin...
Old 07-14-2005, 07:46 AM

Looks nice, really good...But cant any aftermarket exhaust shop bend a 2inch/3inch pipe with no crimps and put on some manaflow or flowmaster mufflers? I had a guy this to my 300z, 240, and 280 back in day. I'm thinking about purchasing the y-pipe and mufflers and leting him do the remaining work....Thoughts anyone?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Banned

I WANT VIDEO/AUDIO!!!!!!!!!!!!! please~
Old 07-14-2005, 08:03 AM

so wait, they are just producing the piping and not the muffler itself? Or did they actually make new pipes and attach a Magnaflow muffler to it and call it theirs?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Smoken'04
so wait, they are just producing the piping and not the muffler itself? Or did they actually make new pipes and attach a Magnaflow muffler to it and call it theirs?
I don't know if they did any tweaking of the muffler itself or not (it looks like the Magnaflow 14862 to me), but what is theirs is the entire package.

I guess that you could buy the 14862s and go to a shop to have them custom bend everything, but by the time you did that...
Old 07-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by darrinps
I don't know if they did any tweaking of the muffler itself or not (it looks like the Magnaflow 14862 to me), but what is theirs is the entire package.

I guess that you could buy the 14862s and go to a shop to have them custom bend everything, but by the time you did that...
Not many muffler shops has a mandrel machine. I think $800-900 range is a little high for this setup, but we'll have to see since we're looking at a prototype.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by darrinps

I was thinking of doing the same thing. There is a really good shop up in CT, the CE works with and they did the Ypipe for me. I know they could do it easily. I'll wait to see how this one plays out. Hopefully Cattman can leave us the option of what style tips we want. Otherwise i'm just going to have to buy the oval ones and sell the ones that come with it, asuming they come as separate pieces.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:55 AM

Good luck on getting 15-20 hp from a catback.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:04 PM
GrandPa

You will have to talk to Cattman about pricing. Its a quality system with lots of attention paid to design and fitment. Whatever the price, its worth it, I'm sure. Production should start in August, I'm told.

I really love the sound this system makes. Quiet at idle, and nasty at full throttle, high rpm. With the resonator option, it would be even quieter. When I have the prototype installed, Ill make more audio/video clips and give you my impression and comments.

Pal: I thought about maybe getting the mufflers powdercoated bronze but Im concerned about discolration. I use Meguiers Gold wax. BTW, I hadnt washed my car in a few days when those pics were taken.
I would talk to them but they don't answer their E-mail. They still don't have the new site up yet either.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
I would talk to them but they don't answer their E-mail. They still don't have the new site up yet either.
This is true, I was told a LONG time ago that the sight was gonna be changed in a month.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
FWIW, I've had good response from them (have E-mailed them several times about the rear anti-sway bar).

Maybe they just like onyx colored Maximas best.

BTW, you can always PM him (he's a member of the forum).
Old 07-14-2005, 02:07 PM

Using any 2/3inch pipe with proper equipment can produce a system with no crimps, from there it is just a matter of picking what type of mufflers, and tips you want, a shop with the proper equipment can do this for about 250/450.00.....Stainless steel, is just that, a stainless steel.... pipe..you can polish it also...
Old 07-14-2005, 03:54 PM

is it louder than the greddy sp 2's ?
Old 07-14-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Davidx34
Using any 2/3inch pipe with proper equipment can produce a system with no crimps, from there it is just a matter of picking what type of mufflers, and tips you want, a shop with the proper equipment can do this for about 250/450.00.....Stainless steel, is just that, a stainless steel.... pipe..you can polish it also...
Depending on where you get them, a set of Mangaflow mufflers will run $300 to $500 alone so you probably won't get those and the pipes bent and hung at that price.

Of course, there are always less expensive mufflers!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:16 PM

I had 2 magnaflow resonators for mine. It was just too load for me in my daily driving. Some may like it but the droaning was to much for my taste. The resonators are the straight through kind without the fins on the inside. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:54 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I want one!!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:38 PM

I know you can get any muffler shop to build you a system. But a lot of thought has been put into this and it is a quality system that fits exactly. Mandrel bending is more expensive that regular pipe bending and its more efficient because it is smoother. Its the details that make a difference. And, by the time you get the mufflers, the pipes, the brackets and other parts, you're gonna spend 800+ and it probably wont be to the level of quality this sytem is. Cattman's exhaust is direct bolt in too. When I get mine, Im just gonna jack up the car, and ill probably have it installed in less than 2 hours. I think its worth it. If you dont like the mufflers, you may be able to ask Cattman about different tips. Also, if you want quieter sound, you can get order the resonator option for some more dough.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:10 PM

...Also, if you want quieter sound, you can get order the resonator option for some more dough.
do you have audio/video of the exhaust? i would like to know how loud/quiet it is .
Old 07-15-2005, 12:27 PM

...by the time you get the mufflers, the pipes, the brackets and other parts, you're gonna spend 800+ and it probably wont be to the level of quality this sytem is.
I agree (and I'm a cheap SOB too).
Old 07-15-2005, 12:28 PM

Here is audio.video inside of car with windows rolled down:
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=PICT1104

Here is outside the car (its kind of short, sorry)
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=PICT1105

Give it some time to download and crank up ur sound. I love it. How bout you guys?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:31 PM

most shops, at least where I am from will install a new system with mendral bends and manflow mufflers for about 500.00 bucks, but have a system all ready to go is nice as well...I guess it depends on the buyer
Old 07-15-2005, 12:31 PM

Remember that its louder than the final product since its only tack welded in place for fitment purposes only and not welded completely. The final product will obviously we welded completely.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:02 PM

I want a price hahaa.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:25 PM

Remember that its louder than the final product since its only tack welded in place for fitment purposes only and not welded completely. The final product will obviously we welded completely.
regardless, it sounds great and even if it is a little bit quieter thats all the better. sounds great, do you know if he will give group deals or even give you one for free?

Quick Reply: Cattman cat-back exhaust for 6th Gen