6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Basic Mods to see 300hp from the Max

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 02:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

I wonder if we're talking 300 WHP or 300CHP .. 300whp hasn't ever been achieved w/o boost, 294 whp I believe is the max on a VQ35DE N/A ... Boosted, well, that's different whereas 300 whp is pretty much the starting base minimum for boost.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I wonder if we're talking 300 WHP or 300CHP ...
I think the thread refers to chp, atleast until a 6th gen is boosted since we only have a couple of dyno samples to go by. Have to ask Davidx34.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:32 PM

I wonder if we're talking 300 WHP or 300CHP .. 300whp hasn't ever been achieved w/o boost, 294 whp I believe is the max on a VQ35DE N/A ... Boosted, well, that's different whereas 300 whp is pretty much the starting base minimum for boost.
I don't agree. I know of a few cars that I have seen hit over 300whp NA. Maybe not in the Maxima but it has been done on the VQ35DE.

The 350Z as we all know shares the same power plant. Primary differences being the cams, ECU, and plenum. Drivetrain in the 350Z will lose more power to the wheels. Not much but a little.

With all bolt ons (cammed, headers, intake, exhaust, y pipe, SAFCII, etc.) I have seen some high numbers. The highest I have seen so far has been 315whp but that was ***** out.

I'm not sayign it's easy by any means but it's not impossible.

Eventually my VQ will be pushing 300whp NA but most of the things on my car will obviously be custom.

John
Old 07-27-2005, 05:47 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by unotsd
im currently debating whether i should go with some 22in wheels on my maxima. i have it dropped 2in in the rear and .8in in the front with eibach sprins. i currently have 20in wheels but i wanna upgrade. my question is if i can fit them and if i can, will i have any problems with them?
once again, to another NEWBIE WTF does this have to do with the thread topic?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wtf you have a vq in a se-r? 300whp? can you say torque steer???

still cool
Old 07-27-2005, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
wtf you have a vq in a se-r? 300whp? can you say torque steer???

still cool
Yeah it's a work in progress right now but solid mounts help out alot!
Old 07-27-2005, 09:30 PM

Hey, post pics of that car and the engine compartment. I always wondered if that swap could be done.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:37 AM

What we need is a supercharger kit and better front suspension.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:08 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Crazy-J
I don't agree. I know of a few cars that I have seen hit over 300whp NA. Maybe not in the Maxima but it has been done on the VQ35DE.
Got proof .. Highest I've seen is 294Rwhp in a 350z ... ...

And as far as 300CHP is concerned, that's easy ...

FIXED**
Old 07-28-2005, 09:10 AM

Got proof .. Highest I've seen is 294fwhp in a 350z ... ...

294fwhp in a 350Z?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:19 AM
VQ Wizard

Every 350Z I have seen puts down 0fwhp.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Hey, post pics of that car and the engine compartment. I always wondered if that swap could be done.
I have pics of the test fit with the VQ30DE... My car is currently in New Orleans having this completed. I will look through m computer to find those pics. The outer deminsions are the same though between the VQ35DE and the VQ30DE.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Going Ginsu

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
You actually got something correct for a change.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:02 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Doh!

Originally Posted by savagecat
You actually got something correct for a change
Err...ehhh. He's always correct, or @ least 98% of the time.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:06 AM

If a VQ35 can really put down 300whp N/A without major internal work I'm in on whatever the f*ck it takes to get me some 11-second timeslips...
Old 07-28-2005, 10:09 AM
dot dot dot ...

I'm almost certain you'll need cams, and that's internal, major or not
Old 07-28-2005, 10:14 AM

Ok, internal work other than cams, which IMO is a given.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:34 AM

Got proof .. Highest I've seen is 294fwhp in a 350z ... ...

Your kidding right? NA it's not hard to achieve these numbers. If you did a search over the web you'd find a few guys. There aren't many of them but on the 350Z with the Crawford setups these guys are seeing HUGE gains.

Do other things like porting and flowing the head, Aggressive valvetrain with aggressive cams (which I will eventually do to mine), port and polished plenum, higher compression forged pistons, and the list goes on.

If your just putting on bolt ons? Forget it.

John
Old 07-28-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Here is our thread of this swap. It has a few fitment pics from the early days but it has yet to be updated.

VQ powered B15 (Sentra)
Old 07-28-2005, 10:49 AM
dot dot dot ...

Your kidding right? NA it's not hard to achieve these numbers. If you did a search over the web you'd find a few guys. There aren't many of them but on the 350Z with the Crawford setups these guys are seeing HUGE gains.

John
Right away when i ask for proof, people take to the defensive. I was not calling but just asking for a link, I believe it, just wanted to see a link so I could soak it up ... I DO believe you, once again, just want tos ee.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:38 AM

Right away when i ask for proof, people take to the defensive. I was not calling but just asking for a link, I believe it, just wanted to see a link so I could soak it up ... I DO believe you, once again, just want tos ee.
Sorry if I sounded a bit edgy. I'm trying to look through my old hard drive to find a few dyno slips and I will do a few online searches a little later. I'm sure I'll find it by tonight.

John
Old 07-28-2005, 11:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

Best I could find was a 12.78 @ 107, but it's not bad but no dyno to go with it.( not that it would've been 300, just a good comparison with the .org's SR20DEN)

A few 255-260 whp..

***** and giggles, I found a 255 whp, and a 246 ft/lbs dyno ..which are "stock" 5.5g Maxima crank #'s
Old 07-28-2005, 11:43 AM

Do other things like porting and flowing the head.
Anyone know what these heads flow stock? I would think (maybe wrong) that porting the heads wouldn't get you much in less you were pretty raidcal with the cam profile. These heads (at least I have heard...never seen the flow numbers) flow pretty darn well! We aren't talking OHV 2V per anymore!

So...anyone see any flow results?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:50 AM
dot dot dot ...

No one that I know of has flow tested the heads, but fropm altimas.net, some sales person who apparently has access to part #'s etc, stated that the 04+ Maxima heads were those from the VQ40, I don't know if this thought holds water so
Old 07-28-2005, 12:20 PM

No one that I know of has flow tested the heads, but fropm altimas.net, some sales person who apparently has access to part #'s etc, stated that the 04+ Maxima heads were those from the VQ40, I don't know if this thought holds water so
If that is correct, then you would think (making assumptions here I know) that the potential would be there in those heads in stock form to handle more cam, and further porting/polishing wouldn't have much affect for the daily driver.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:26 PM

I think a well placed "TypeR" sticker followed by a K&N Filter would probably push you all over 300hp..
Old 07-28-2005, 12:36 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Tramsootru
I think a well placed "TypeR" sticker followed by a K&N Filter would probably push you all over 300hp..
are you doing here if you have a T/A? Besides trolling .. and we don't have TypeR stickers, more like GT-R get it right

Old 07-28-2005, 12:41 PM

Eh, I'm looking at selling the T/A and getting a Maxima..

I know you don't have Type-R stickers, I thought it was more of a bag on the Accord kids..
Old 07-28-2005, 01:03 PM

I agree with you guys that I have never seen these numbers from a maxima nor an altima for that matter. but the original statement was that the motor itself couldn't do it. The 350Z has the greatest chance to achieve these numbers but this isn't a Z forum. Just wanted to clarify my argument.

John
Old 07-28-2005, 01:20 PM

I agree with you guys that I have never seen these numbers from a maxima nor an altima for that matter. but the original statement was that the motor itself couldn't do it.
IMHO, this engine should, with bolt ons (depending on how you define them that is), be able to make it.

For a manual tranny, let's say that we only lose 15% (I know...probably a bit more but let's keep it simple).

So, that would be 353 HP at the flywheel to make 300 at the front wheel. That's about 1.67 HP/cubic inch or just a shade over 100 HP/liter and has been done in production cars before if I recall correctly.

In any event, I don't think the heads would be the stumbling block. Maybe the exhaust setup (unless you go illegal) would be, but I would be willing to be that the heads flow over 170 CFM which will get you into the 350HP range.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:28 PM
dot dot dot ...

Some ** Maximas have an identical power curve to 350z's just need a little caressing to get the peak #'s. I have many dynos of z33 dynos, and they prove that A33's can hold their own with minor bolt ons ... but not after the plenums and cams get in the mix on the z side
Old 07-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Going Ginsu

Doh!

Err...ehhh. He's always correct, or @ least 98% of the time.

...only in his mind.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:21 PM

OK...that took a while to read.

The Z sticker says the VQ produces 300hp (crank i'm sure). The Max sticker says its VQ produces 265hp. Crazy-J gave some info on the differences, but does anyone have a list of mods to match the plants? (with info on where to get please...)

thanx...max
Old 07-28-2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by maximob
OK...that took a while to read.

The Z sticker says the VQ produces 300hp (crank i'm sure). The Max sticker says its VQ produces 265hp. Crazy-J gave some info on the differences, but does anyone have a list of mods to match the plants? (with info on where to get please...)

thanx...max
These are things you "could" buy but customizations will have to take place...

Crawford Plenum

Two ways to make this work ONLY IF this plenum clears the hood. The easiest would be making a custom CAI. If you were brave enough to cut up your $350 plenum then you can cut the air inler and angle it properly and of course welded back together. That would be your best performance yeilding mod but I don't see much custom work on here so far. (If I'm mistaken I apologize in advance, I haven't had time to really look through the rides)

The headers... Well Your very limited there. You can't use Z parts there and it would not be easy to get a "true" dual exhaust setup. But again anything is possible with a little bit of patience and fabrication skills with a god imagination.

Cams... All the cams are interchangeable. Yes they work on the Max motor. I'm sure most of you guys knew this though. SO when you say that the 350 takes over the cams thats inaccurate.

Pulleys... Also interchangeable obviously... Yes they make a difference.

Mainly your biggest issue is your exhaust. You have to tune your exhaust to get the best flow. Being transversely mounted it makes having high yeilding headers a much more difficult task.

Just a few things off the top of my head. We do have one thing going for us. FWD typically has less powertrain loss. So we still get more power to the ground.

John
Old 07-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Newbie just Registered

These are things you "could" buy but customizations will have to take place...

Crawford Plenum

Two ways to make this work ONLY IF this plenum clears the hood. The easiest would be making a custom CAI. If you were brave enough to cut up your $350 plenum then you can cut the air inler and angle it properly and of course welded back together. That would be your best performance yeilding mod but I don't see much custom work on here so far. (If I'm mistaken I apologize in advance, I haven't had time to really look through the rides)

The headers... Well Your very limited there. You can't use Z parts there and it would not be easy to get a "true" dual exhaust setup. But again anything is possible with a little bit of patience and fabrication skills with a god imagination.

Cams... All the cams are interchangeable. Yes they work on the Max motor. I'm sure most of you guys knew this though. SO when you say that the 350 takes over the cams thats inaccurate.

Pulleys... Also interchangeable obviously... Yes they make a difference.

Mainly your biggest issue is your exhaust. You have to tune your exhaust to get the best flow. Being transversely mounted it makes having high yeilding headers a much more difficult task.

Just a few things off the top of my head. We do have one thing going for us. FWD typically has less powertrain loss. So we still get more power to the ground.

John
Okay, one thing still bugs me. The stock ECU, is it self adjusting/correcting? On Z's I've seen/read about w/ all bolt-ons(not boosted) show no serious hp gain(~15+ whps on dyno) on stock ECUs. What would be difference on the Max, or other VQ35's for that matter? What am I missing?
Before I get flamed for not knowing what some of the 5.5 gens or swapped motor guys are running/dynoed, I don't go through and read what your list of mods are. So a little slack would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:08 PM

With the VQ you have ECU options also. From what I've heard they yield fairly good numbers.

I have yet to see an ECU from a newer car that is not self learning. I know my QR25DE motor was self learning. No need to reset and it would take a day or two or about 200miles to readjust itself to the new mod what it may have been. Theres no true need to "Reset" the ECU when doing a mod. It's a misconception brought on from earlier ECU's that would actually give SES or CEL lights when mods were done and you had to reset the ECU for it to readjust itself to the new settings and not give you the light. This was the case in the Kia I work on frequently because of it's obselete Bosch ECU.

Check out the Crawford website above and take a look at their headers and the plenum. Read about the gains they dyno'd from these parts (or at least what they claim). Both of these are netting 15+whp at peak according to them. This is on a stock 350Z ECU which supposedly from Nissan is more performance based (which would be understandable).

Each stock ECU will be tuned differently to accomidate each car. I don't see the tuning on the Altima being much different than the Maxima although most base pulls have been somewhat the same as the Max (within 5whp either way) which to me makes little sense other than a marketing tactic from Nissan. The 350Z has other things that boost power also like a more aggresive stock cam and better flowing exhaust and supposedly a more performance tuned ECU although the dynos don't show that great of an increase. All in all you can get an ECU for your car typically made to order. I haven't looked into the VQ ecu as of yet but will be in the near future.

Ok now it's late and I'm rambling so I will go to bed and hope at least a little of this made sense.

John
Old 07-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Banned

I think my post on the previous page about the 350Z's woes pretty much sum it up. The ECU is going to run the car regardless of the mods done.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Newbie just Registered

04BlackMaxx, I've read your post/link and other articles, and I've also talked to some Z owners. The info I got was that the ECU, though self-learning, is also self-correcting. And on my other car, there are even more electronic parts, some are active/passive even when car isn't on, and mods don't show gains unless ECU is modified, then some mods are not needed. But Ramberg's dyno shows otherwise(the amount gain can be debatable, but shows gain nonetheless). All performance vendors claim hp gain, but they want to sell their mods.
Crazy-J, you are telling something different that I am familiar with. I used to mod imports, but that was about 10 years ago on small cars before electronics controlled everything. Those ECU's will work and adjust with mods and show hp gains, as long as they are not interupted, thus CEL.

That's why I'm asking about the stock ECU, how much of a role does it play?
Old 07-29-2005, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Crazy-J, you are telling something different that I am familiar with. I used to mod imports, but that was about 10 years ago on small cars before electronics controlled everything. Those ECU's will work and adjust with mods and show hp gains, as long as they are not interupted, thus CEL.

That's why I'm asking about the stock ECU, how much of a role does it play?
Thats pretty much what I was trying to get across but it really depends on the type of car your talking about. Each ECU is programmed differently.

I may be sticking my head out there but I think it's safe to say that an aftermarket mod that you do thats widely done by a certain community offers gains of some sort. You wouldn't go out and spend $1500 to get headers and a nice exhaust if it did nothing but sound better would you? Of course not. Doesn't matter if the ECU is stock or not.

My car would be a good example here. The QR25DE ECU has not been cracked so far. There for every mod done to the car you rely on the ECU to self adjust and correct. We do not however see the same gains as other cars in that we don't have ECU options. DOes it play a role? YES! Does it play a huge role? In my opinion? Yeah. Will you not make hp by doing a mod with an ECU upgrade? HAHAHA no.

Just my honest opinion though.

John
Old 07-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Banned

As far as ramberg's gains...he will be dynoing on a dynojet so we can compare apples to apples...Other than that, if anything, you'd expect the Z to respond better to mods than a max, and a respected auto tuner mag calling it a tough car to improve really makes me wonder if gains are in everyone's heads....bc if the Z can't be tuned up with bolt-ons, the max can't either.

Quick Reply: Basic Mods to see 300hp from the Max